• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do JKR's recent statements negatively impact your interest in a new Harry Potter RPG?

• Yes, I am now less likely to purchase the game.

Votes: 654 23.4%
  • No, her statements have had no bearing on my interest in the game.

Votes: 1,614 57.7%
  • I have no interest regardless of her comments.

Votes: 530 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game really only looked interesting because the graphics in the trailer were so impressive. I have my doubts that the developer will put together something all that great. I would probably have to see more of it before I come to any kind of conclusion. The Harry Potter IP doesn't lend itself to videogames very well, since there's no major combat focus.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
JK's terftastic comments have soured me on the series. As long as she stands to make money off the continued success of her IP I don't feel right buying that stuff.

Man im glad im not the only one who found that entire elf slavery subplot weird even as a child. It made Heromine look like the wrong person

Always thought that was some headass bullshit. Every elf but Dobby is perfectly content and Hermoine was written as though she was being annoying/hysteric when advocating for their freedom. Fuck that subplot.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
nope, i think it would certainly stop me from buying a book written by her but i dont really relate hogwarts games with her

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You can dissociate the art of the artist but in this case the books and the universe convey JK's retrograde message.

Just as much as we may like Cthulhu, Lovecraft's books are steeped in fear of racial miscegenation.

Have you read Rita Skeeter's description lately? That nosy woman with suspiciously masculine features who uses magic to transform herself into an insect and spy on minors.

Like, yeah.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's fair to say that J.K. Rowling is a vile person. Does she have an incorrect opinion about a scientifically proven subject? Absolutely. But to call her flat out, a vile person is just exaggeration. She wrote a whole book about the importance of love, humanity and the necessity to learn how to sacrifice certain things for a greater cause. I do believe she has a lot of humanity to her... She just does not understand, and does not want to further understand her views about gender. Does that make her any less problematic? Absolutely no.

It's like discussing with my parents subjects they are uneducated about, like sexual health, because they were not lucky enough to have this discussion or brought up in an environment where sexuality was not vilified. I would never say my parents are vile, but do I strongly hate talking about sexuality with them, because they have apparent ancient views about it. I do not have a relationship with them, but I can't say that they are bad or vile people, although they did wish me dead at one point in their lives because they were consumed with the notion of pride and ego.

Rowling needs to push past her ego, and understand that being a trans woman does not take anything away from her being a woman. I'm a gay man, and I did not understand the concept of being trans, before educating myself on the subject. I was lucky enough to not have to do that in the public light as well, and I'm sure a lot of you can say the same thing. Let's all not pretend we were all born with the notion of equality for gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual people.

Hopefully, she'll choose to let go of her personal ego.
She doesn't need educating, she has made trans people her obsession, she knows about them. She simply refuses to accept the facts.
This isn't just her being an ignorant person, she is an actively hateful individual

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I didn't really know what this thread was about because I don't follow her and I mostly don't care about HP but after a quick Google search.... Wow her views are horrible, as are her "jokes".

If I was a fan of HP I would be very conflicted to get this game.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I was interested in the game but I'm not giving her money

seeing "I could separate art from artists" here is disgusting especially when comparing her to lovecraft

lovecraft isn't actively profiting off his work since he's dead

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
That mindset is understandable when
A) The author is dead
B) The author no longer benefits from the work (Notch and Minecraft)
C) The author's ideas are not evident in the universe they have created.
I get you, but the weird part of this is that C) isn't even totally true. There's so many people in the fanbase quoting her characters saying stuff that would directly confront and fight JK's own ideals.

Deleted member 64666

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
She doesn't need educating, she has made trans people her obsession, she knows about them. She simply refuses to accept the facts.
This isn't just her being an ignorant person, she is an actively hateful individual

It appears that she has talked about this subject for a long time. Little did I know. Apologies to whom I may have offended, I did not know her hate speech went to this extent.

I edited my original post.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't gonna buy a new copy anyway but seeing as this is WB, chances of it being good are minuscule anyway.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My interest was already low, so I can't say her unsurprising TERF takes have much bearing on my interest in future HP products. At the same time, I'm not going to punish all of the other talented people involved in making HP products because the idiot who created the books is being a piece of shit.

It wouldn't factor much in my decision, I guess. She's not directly involved with the game, afaik, so I'd be directing my disappointment at the wrong people.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Does the knowledge that every Marvel movie profits some despicable people who are allied with Trump affect your interests in their movies?

Not excusing JK Rolling, actually being of the LGBT community I don't like her. But sometimes you have to accept that every big media franchise have some disgusting people at the top.

It does make more wary of any of her works tough, even if she isn't involved in the game I won't be forgiving if we find any problematic stuff in it.

I will buy the game (not sure at launch) because HP stuff was a big part of my childhood and actually helped me in to overcome some things when I was a child.
Kinda ironic

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'll be hesitant to monetarily engage with anything Harry Potter until Rowling takes a lump sum for all rights like how Notch presumably severed himself financially from Minecraft after the big payday of a buyout (don't know if I have those details right, but my opinion is the same nonetheless). And of course this hypothetical new owner of all of Harry Potter being trans-welcoming.

I don't want to further contribute to Rowling's success that grants her wealth and influence every time I throw some money at the IP, even if hypothetically her becoming even more wealthy from the lump sum buyout would still suck.

I'll live without new Harry Potter shit if the reality for the majority of my lifetime is that Rowling continues to profit off of the IP while never making things right with trans people. Doesn't matter how nostalgic I am for that first GBC game. Keep those vomit-flavored jelly beans. Trans Rights.

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter went from one of my most beloved interests to something I don't wanna hear anything about ever again. This game might be the best thing ever but I just can't be even a bit excited.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's very tough for me to decide. I do not like to turn to boycotting, as it hurts so many people, whom are neither involved or guilty in this matter. I understand people will argue that they are somehow contributing to the matter, but I don't buy that correlation, as I assume most are simply trying to get by (and we know how rough this industry is in the first place).

Even if boycotting would send a signal, it wouldn't end the brand, and it wouldn't hurt Rowling. Lastly, I simply think communication is the way forward.

I will take a personal response by discussing the matter with people, and especially those people, whom I feel is yet to see things from a constructive perspective. Sanctioning through boycotting simply isn't the proper way forward, I believe.

Deleted member 64517

Banned
Mar 14, 2020
If I boycotted everything that is linked to someone with shitty views all the way to things that cause death I wouldn't own any possessions.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's not just monetarily supporting Rowling and her profiting off the property as a bigot. She's super rich already. But helping to perpetuate and expand the influence of Harry Potter in turn perpetuates, extends and expands Rowling's influence and thus her Transphobic beliefs.

Does the knowledge that every Marvel movie profits some despicable people who are allied with Trump affect your interests in their movies?

Not excusing JK Rolling, actually being of the LGBT community I don't like her. But sometimes you have to accept that every big media franchise have some disgusting people at the top.

It does make more wary of any of her works tough, even if she isn't involved in the game I won't be forgiving if we find any problematic stuff in it.

I will buy the game (not sure at launch) because HP stuff was a big part of my childhood and actually helped me in to overcome some things when I was a child.
Kinda ironic
Rowling is HP though. Its success directly expands her prominence and prestige. Yeah any major corporate media is going to enrich some shitty people, but the difference here is that the creator of the series is so prominently tied to the property and so prominent and regarded in the public eye as a result. If you can't see the difference of these instances I'm not sure what else to say.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do need to draw the line somewhere, yeah. I would argue that if you are going to indulge in separating art from artist you should at least not do it for art that is extremely visibly shaped by the artist's bigotry. Which Harry Potter is absolutely steeped in it.
i think i missed something but i thought Harry potter had a strong anti-racism message with all the "mudblood" storyline?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I get you, but the weird part of this is that C) isn't even totally true. There's so many people in the fanbase quoting her characters saying stuff that would directly confront and fight JK's own ideals.
The problem is that the Harry Potter message of "the blood you have is not really important" is screwed up by the narrative numerous times.

Like "The blood you have is not important" but Harry is protected by special magic because of who his aunt is. Your ancestors do not matter, except that he receives a Deathly Hallow from his ancestors. And so.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was never a big fan of Harry Potter to begin with, so it doesn't change my opinion much beyond lessening any desire to give the series a chance. However, if I was a fan, J.K. Rowling's transphobic statements would most likely hurt my enjoyment of her works.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Nope still really looking forward to it, you can like Harry Potter and not agree with her some of her views.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
JK already trained every Harry Potter fan to stop caring about anything she says with the whole magical wizard shits incident (not to mention Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child being dumpster fires) so that impregnable barrier separating her from the franchise already existed for me.

No I'm just not interested in the upcoming game because we haven't seen it yet and its licensed which is a death sentence most of the time.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No. But her views are deeply disappointing as a Harry Potter fan and I hope someone, somewhere can convince her how hurtful she is.

Discussion guidelines

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Rowling's transphobic views are well-known and well-documented and we won't allow anyone to downplay them. If you weren't aware of this, then make sure to educate yourself before commenting and be mindful towards the concerns of your fellow members. If you are still interested in a HP game, then be sure to avoid making dismissive posts or posts that excuse Rowling's transphobia as these will be subject to moderation.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I have no intention on buying any sort of Harry Potter products. Used to be a huge fan.

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Transphobia is a disease but I feel like I can disassociate her from at least the movies and this game because many people have worked on them and she had little involvement in them; it will be harder with the books because that was pretty much all her.

If I buy the game she will also get barely anything, and let's face it, tons of people are going to buy it anyway. But that depends on whether the game's even good especially because I don't preorder games

RaulBalarezoS

Banned
Jan 22, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Ignoring Staff Post - Dismissive Drive-By Posting on a Sensitive Topic; Account in Junior Phase
Why? Tho
I like Harry Potter and I will buy the games

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
100% it does, but I'm also comfortable in how much of a hypocrite I can be when it comes to other things that I monetarily support that I have stronger affinity for than Harry Potter and are just as problematic.

We're all human so I can understand if some people have weaker resolve when it comes to Potter because it just inherently means more to them.

(But, y'know, maybe donate to Mermaids or something. And never stop shit-talking Rowling's TERF ass.)

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do King K. Rool's anti-mammal statements impact your purchase of Bananas sold from his horde?

Yes because he is a villain. King Karen Rool, actually.

I'm sorry if bananas were a part of your childhood. Tough.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I still want to buy the game but I'm also hoping that Rowling either changes her views or gets disassociated from the franchise somehow (such as getting paid royalties or a lump sum in exchange for ownership of the rights a la George Lucas and Star Wars).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they have. She is vile and I can't abide by supporting the series that she ultimately reaps the benefits of in its entirety.

Oh and much more minor but since the publisher is WB I can't say that I had much interest regardless of Rowling. Not the biggest WB fan at all.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Question for everyone here that insists the art is separate from the artist: how's the Cosby Show working for you these days?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I still want to buy the game but I'm also hoping that Rowling either changes her views or gets disassociated from the franchise somehow (such as getting paid royalties or a lump sum in exchange for ownership of the rights a la George Lucas and Star Wars).

She's not changing her views, she's a middle aged rich woman who lives in a country where transphobia is allowed, even celebrated, in liberal spaces.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Books are trash, author is garbage, game probably will follow suit, so it's hardly a sacrifice to skip it.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't going to rush out and buy it on day 1 or anything but I'm not ruling out getting it at some point. I wish she'd shut the fuck up though.

Nov 5, 2019
Question for everyone here that insists the art is separate from the artist: how's the Cosby Show working for you these days?
I loved the Bill Cosby show. Then Bill Cosby had to go ruin it by being a terrible person. My love for Harry Potter's been shattered. And now I'm just waiting to hear that the author of the Hunger Games hates poor people or something.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
i think i missed something but i thought Harry potter had a strong anti-racism message with all the "mudblood" storyline?

But it also has the house elves thing, which was a big mess. Elves are basically slaves that do all the work in the background (like preparing those lavish meals that just "appear" in the great hall IIRC). Their work is so invisible they aren't mentioned or known about until a few books in, and when Hermione finds out about how they're basically slaves for life she tries to advocate for them and Ron, among other characters, are just like "Nah it's cool they like being slaves."
And yeah the text shows that basically every house elf but Dobby is content in being engaged in free labor and often mistreated. The books have some good messages but also some weird stuff that was hella fumbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.