• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do JKR's recent statements negatively impact your interest in a new Harry Potter RPG?

• Yes, I am now less likely to purchase the game.

Votes: 654 23.4%
  • No, her statements have had no bearing on my interest in the game.

Votes: 1,614 57.7%
  • I have no interest regardless of her comments.

Votes: 530 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So, as you may have heard - Harry Potter author JK Rowling has been under fire recently for making an openly anti-transgender joke on Twitter, following a long history of similarly bigoted opinions against trans folk. Her position has been well known for years at this point, but the recent tweets have brought the controversy back into mainstream attention. From my perspective, the fanbase seems split between those who are currently denouncing the series as a whole - and those who are preferring to separate art from artist.

This is probably not the situation that Warner Bros had hoped for when they greenlit a very expensive Harry Potter RPG that has been in development for several years. While WB has never confirmed the game, it seems highly likely that it was set to be announced around this time of year. WB cancelled their E3 presentation, but it is extremely likely that the game resurfaces at any one of the digital events happening over the next few months.

Do her comments impact your personal interest in a new game set in her universe?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. I can dissociate the work from the artist

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Yes, and I already don't participate in any Harry Potter related anything anymore as a result.

I will not be buying this game.

Fuck JK Rowling.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Not much, since I never had interest on her work... Still, reading her latest tweets removes any thought of giving her IPs a chance.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Not really. Did she have any input on the game design?

In any case, a whole lot of artists had shitty opinions. HP Lovecraft was a racist. His works are still some of the best in fictional horror.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only answering no because I had no interest to be affected to start with.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've seen too much this week about how some of her transphobia, homophobia etc. is present in coded language throughout the novels, so I'm somewhat put off now.

I'm good thanks.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest I've been done with anything HP for a while now, it just doesn't feel like a world where there's room to do much more.

But yeah her recent (and less recent) bullshit has certainly made the decision easier.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
She's a bit of a vile person, but i don't want to punish the devs of a potentially amazing game set in an amazing world because of her views, on one hand. On the other hand she's gonna profit from it and that bothers me.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the statements of an author of a book series only tied to a (rumored) game taking place in the same universe has not affected my interest at all.

If the game ends up manifesting itself into reality, and it's revealed that she played an active role somehow in the game's creation, then we'll see.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't gonna bother with the game either way. I don't care about HP anymore. But if I was, then yes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No, but only because I don't are about Harry Potter at all already.

I will be notifying my Potter-fan friends about Rowling's transphobia, though.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Definitely to a extent, but I shall see. I just hope she isn't involved with the project personally at least.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Did she have any input on the game design?

In any case, a whole lot of artists had shitty opinions. HP Lovecraft was a racist. His works are still some of the best in fictional horror.
Lovecraft was a racist in a much different time.

Rowling is a transphobe right now.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'd like to support the devs, but I wouldn't like to support her, so I honestly don't know. It's a bit of a moral dilemma.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well can't say the responses shock me.

That said I was the hugest slytherin whore for the longest time including having full outfits dedicated to it so when I first found out her Transphobic views it hit pretty hard (I am Transgender so it was one of those hero disappointment moments for me) but that was years ago and now I'm just tired.

Like I don't blame others for not caring or whatever, but as a Trans woman seeing it over and over again in spite of her popularity and continued growth across movies, books, and now games just makes me sad.

Oct 25, 2017
i mean i would never buy a new harry potter book written by her but she has no involvement in the game and the harry potter license is much bigger than her at this point. like if george lucas said some dumb shit i wouldn't stop liking jedi fallen order.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't if it weren't for the fact that she makes money off it. Because she does, it's a problem for me.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Im not a harry potter fan to begin with but her comments definitley make sure that Ill never put money on anything that she will profit from.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never cared for it, but folks that care for it need to acept they simply don't care about trans lives based on how much her views permeate on her work and its derivations.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Nope, lots of people put their hard work into making the game, should they not receive recognition for it cause the creator of the series is a terrible person? Besides, do we know if she had any involvement in the game?

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Have been a massive Harry Potter fan but truth of the matter is even before this which are disgusting by the way.

She has been to shown as a nasty piece of work in the past.

In terms of the gane if she has no involvement at all writing wise.. then I may pick it up.

As my wife has said about JK Rowling 'she is a good storyteller but a bad writer ...

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'm really confused with the "I can separate work from the artist" replies.

Separating work from the artist is about whether enjoyment or value can be had. You can't separate art from the artist when it comes to financial support.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, lots of people put their hard work into making the game, should they not receive recognition for it cause the creator of the series is a terrible person? Besides, do we know if she had any involvement in the game?
She still profits from it much the same as any other creator, brand, studio or vendor you would boycot.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't interested before. But I'd probably have lost interest if I had any as I don't support transphobes. It's a shame some of y'all do.

lino

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I love the world of Harry Potter too much. Still getting it day 1.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I like the books and the idea of this game way too much even if she's an awful person.

Status
Not open for further replies.