• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I know accents well enough to usually know what they're going for but not well enough to know whether they're butchering it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm fine with it usually as long as it's not like borderline comedic how bad it is.

Jan 31, 2018
Nah. Not unless the accent keeps changing.

The biggest obstacle for me regarding old shows is a laugh track. Hard to ignore the obnoxiousness of it anymore.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
I don't mind an incorrect accent, but an inconsistent one can distract me. Racheal Taylor's intermittent American accent in Jessica Jones started to really annoy me after a while.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Echoing what others said I'm two episodes into The Boys and Urbans accent is distracting, had to look up what he was actually going for

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very, very rarely. The only time I can think of is Simon Pegg's American accent in The Boys, which I found to be distractingly bad.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Peter Dinklage's accent in Game of Thrones always threw me off.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The only time I've had this trouble was with Logan Lucky which sucks because I loved everything about it. The cast, the premise, NASCAR, it being a heist. Just the accents killed it for me. Which is weird because I've never had that trouble before.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew Dick Van Dyke's accent was an issue in Mary Poppins until I started seeing people talk about it online.

For the most part, I think accents are mostly an issue when a movie is attempting to convey genuine human drama

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Most of the time I can hand-wave it because I've met a lot of people in real life with weird hybrid accents. But it's a lack of consistency I find more annoying, like Sophie Turner's X-Men accent being all over the place.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's at the level of Keanu in Bram Stoker's Dracula, I don't mind.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Peter Dinklage's accent in Game of Thrones always threw me off.
There's a scene with Olenna Tyrell where he says something like "necessary for the preservation of the realm" that is so lispy and terrible (not that lisps are terrible, but Dinklage's poor 'medieval-English' attempt slipping into one is unfortunate) that I'm not sure how it passed filming without another take.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
it's probably worse when it's YOUR accent being mangled.

Australians of a certain age remember the terrible accents of the supposedly australian cops at the end of the original Point Break.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
There's a scene with Olenna Tyrell where he says something like "necessary for the preservation of the realm" that is so lispy and terrible (not that lisps are terrible, but Dinklage's poor 'medieval-English' attempt slipping into one is unfortunate) that I'm not sure how it passed filming without another take.
I think his tenure as Tyrion is just a case of the acting prowess being so damn good, that nailing the accent just didn't matter to the directors.

Oct 27, 2017
Karl Urban's Cockney accent in the Boys takes me out of every scene immediately. It's so bad and all I can hear is Kiwi. Breaks the immersion instantly.

Same goes any time Cumberbatch tries to sound American. It's brutal.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only two I can think of:

Mike's daughter-in-law on BCS, who is Irish or something in real life and can't quite pull off an American accent, and

Star Lord's mother in flashback scenes of both GotG movies - She's supposed to be from Missouri but talks with a deep southern accent that sounds like she should be from Alabama. Which is strange, because James Webb is from St. Louis and would know better, and thus must've made the decision on purpose for some weird reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Edit:
Ah Xiofire Whats wrong about it? Are they overdoing things? Or is it not enough?

The Midlands (Mainly Birmingham and surround areas) has a very specific drone to it, while also being quite heavy with slang. "You can't" becomes "Yow cor", and "they aren't" becomes "they ay", stuff like that.

The actors in the show try very hard, but a true Birmingham/Yam yam accent is very difficult to pull off. What they end up doing is having a mix of lots of English accents so it comes off as very inauthentic. I guess being surrounded by it every day and then hearing the show "try" makes it very apparent :')

Karl Urban's Cockney accent in the Boys takes me out of every scene immediately. It's so bad and all I can hear is Kiwi. Breaks the immersion instantly.

Haha yes! It's truly atrocious in spots, especially the use of "diabolical". The people they hired to be his family in the latest season were equally offensive.

Oct 26, 2017
If I notice, yeah. You put all this time and money into everything else just to trip over something so simple. Plus, it was an opportunity to give work to someone from the area

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
As an Australian absolutely.

It is also a bit galling when people praise the person's performance despite the bad accent.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Nah, it's more a thing to laugh at than get upset about. The guy who plays Finan in The Last Kingdom can't do an Irish accent to save his life but it's not something that ruins the show for me by any means.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really.

Karl Urban's cockney accent in The Boys is horrendous but I still enjoy the hell out of his performance.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
As a Minnesotan, the movie Fargo is all at once cartoonishly exaggerated and eerily accurate.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I can always put it aside, but I do find it funny sometimes when it's really bad. Brits are often terrible at American accents (they either go cartoonish New York, yeehaw Southern, or so non regional and flat that it sounds robotic) and that's usually good for a chuckle.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
I've long resigned and accepted the fact that pretty much any supposedly Russian character in a Hollywood film a) cannot pronounce a simplest Russian word to save their life; b) speaks broken English with a terribly exaggerated Slavic accent.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
It's truly atrocious in spots, especially the use of "diabolical". The people they hired to be his family in the latest season were equally offensive.
I think they might have been trying to avoid upstaging Urban...having an actual cockney would throw everything out.

I was kind of hoping they'd cast Dick Van Dyke actually.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The other one I can think of Wanda Maximoff in the MCU. At times I quickly forget that she's supposed to even have an accent.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Haha, yup. It's not a movie, but Witcher 3 had an area called Toussaint that was based on France. Worst "French accents" I'd ever heard.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working my way through sons of anarchy right now and it's genuinely ruining the show for me how bad the accents on all the Irish characters are.
They clearly made a decision not to send any of the main cast to Ireland or hire any Irish actors. There's one character in particular who jumps between an Irish, northern Irish and British accent, sometimes in the same sentence.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The accent of the spanish in Breaking Bad was really truly awful. Took me out of the those scenes with the all spanish dialogue.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an American. So, no. It has to be a REALLY rough accent for me to even realize they're putting on an accent. Even the rare bad American accent I see is something I just find endearing. Actual American accents are so diverse that it's easy to brush off too.

It's nice.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all.
I cannot even fully differentiate between the various accents here in just New Jersey,
No way I am caring if some movie or television show has an accent right or wrong, as I truly would have zero clue if they are or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha yes! It's truly atrocious in spots, especially the use of "diabolical". The people they hired to be his family in the latest season were equally offensive.
Because none of em are British! His aunt is Canadian and his dad is an Aussie. Like it cannot be that difficult to get a couple fucking actual English actors for the one or two scenes those characters are in.

Everybody in The Boys thread is like "Butcher is the best character" and I simply cannot get over the accent.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I love Hunt For Red October and I don't even one bit feel annoyed that everyone talks with a Russian accent except Sean Connery. Don't even think about it.

I don't think anyone else cares either.

Oct 27, 2017
I've long resigned and accepted the fact that pretty much any supposedly Russian character in a Hollywood film a) cannot pronounce a simplest Russian word to save their life; b) speaks broken English with a terribly exaggerated Slavic accent.
My partner is Ukrainian and it's been eye opening watching all sorts of classic movies. Sometimes there's cool stuff you'd miss unless you can read Cyrillic letters, but more often than not the words are gibberish. Same goes with Russian "speaking" characters (usually bad guys). Sometimes they're not even actually speaking the language, which is crazy. Like how hard can it be to simply get the words right, even if the pronunciation is off? That's just lazy.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Southern accents in media tend to be Texas or Everywhere Else and it's kind of wild having lived in several southern states how different areas sound. I mean I really don't want to know how different North Louisianan sounds than South Louisianan but anytime that state is featured in a show I brace myself.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me unless it's, like, comically bad. Inaccurate or poor... I'm good.

I am interested in how much this affects the acting of some actors, though. Even Hugh Laurie said that his American accent in House made him very aware of how nailing the accent affected his ability to act because he was so focused on it. I mean, I think the end result was great, but given his comments, I wonder what it would have been like if he had just played a Brit who moved to America.

Robert Pattinson in Lighthouse is a great example of an iffy, wandering accent not diminishing a fucking amazing performance (I thought he was even better than Dafoe,) so I am pretty comfortable letting accuracy slide most times.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not always, but sometimes. If a character's accent really sticks out like a sore thumb it becomes impossible to take them seriously.

It's especially funny when an actor is butchering their own accent, like Mark Wahlberg in the Happening. Motherfucker, you're from Southie and you sound like some idiot from LA trying to make fun of Bostonians. You know how your own fucking neighbors talked when you were growing up.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
The most personally jarring I've felt was Ewan McGregor trying to portray a man from Alabama.

I mean. I live there. Nobody sounds like that.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
As many people have said, it depends. REALLY shit accents are often hilarious and, depending on the tone of the movie, don't bother me. James Coburn's Australian accent in The Great Escape it terrible but it is great.

That being said I can't stand people doing my accent (grew up in Northern Ireland) because nobody can do one right and you have a wide choice too for such a small area. I don't know why they try. This was especially bad in the 90s when people from Northern Ireland were frequently the "heroes" in serious dramas about the Troubles or the baddies in various action movies. The two "IRA folks" in Ronin for example take me right out of it.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
nah, I don't give a shit. sometimes I'll give a little "ohhh ho you slipped bb" but nah, I'd be fine with all actors speaking in their native accents no matter what the role called for tbh

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
someone could have the worst fake british, canadian or american accent & i wouldn't fucking know it as it's not my mothertongue. to be fair, i couldn't even spot a bad or fake bosnian or german accent as i only really grew up listening to the way my family talked lmao. hell, i can barely understand some german accents & i've been living here for 23 years :(