• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
As usual, I have purchased a video game before playing others in the franchise (or finishing, rather). This time I purchased Bravely Default 2. Is this something I can hop right into not having finished the prior two titles, or should I go play those first?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No story relation. It's called Bravely Default II because the actual story sequel to Bravely Default was called Bravely Second.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Nope! You'll be fine. Bravely Second continues Bravely Default. In this case, Bravely Default 2 is a brand new entry with new characters and world.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. BD1 is great but unrelated beyond general concepts and battle systems. Completely new story, so get at it!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any of the other Bravely Default games and I'm happily playing BD2. No issues. I understand it's a new story/world/everything (like a Final Fantasy) and it does feel like that. No mention of old stories or old characters or prior events or anything.

Dive in! It's amazing!

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
No. But you will need to play Bravely Default II before the imminent Bravely Second II.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
No I'm thinking the next game is a sequel called Bravely Second II.

I think they'll do this too but it feels wrong to me. That makes it sound like it's a sequel to Bravely Second because the II is after the Second. It would have made more sense imo to have the sequel to Bravely Default be Bravely Default II and have this be Bravely Second.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's more necessary to have played a Final Fantasy from I to V, since it's paying homage to those games.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
you couldn't be arsed to ask this in the OT for a game 1 day after launch huh