• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I have been on several gaming forums for over odd 18-20 years now and what I noticed, on Gaf and also now on Era that there are some people that really do not want others to play an "exclusive" game on another plattform.
Everyone remembers the whole MGS4 debate. Then when FF13 went multiplat, people were pissed. Seriously pissed. It wasnt just the "expert" post.

When NMS pre-PC announcement happened, people tried to fight back, explaining that it will never come to anywhere else.
Somehow Yakuza fans seemed to "fight" to prove its exclusive.

Now on Era whenever there are rumors that a previous exclusive game might come to another plattform, you see posts that read more like they are glad its still exclusive. It was Persona 5, SMT5, stuff like Death Stranding etc.
I am not talking about posts just being ""It has not been announced yet for those plattforms. Let's just wait and see", but posts that read like "lol no. Im glad its not."
Sometimes you even have posts like "exclusives are great, because I bought a xxx and a multi title devalues the game for me."

Why is that? I have/had a Switch, PS3, Xbox 360, PC and why should I care if SMT5 would also come to PS4 or PC or if Octopath isnt exclusive anymore? More people can enjoy the game and if I like that game, that means more people can enjoy something I also liked. If Starcraft 2 gets a console port, why shouldn't I want it?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean if you had a console the game came out on later but bought another console to play an exclusive on launch because you didn't know it'd get ports, you might be pissed you got a new console unnecessarily.

Speaking as someone from a developing country though, I never got the sentiment, nobody I know could afford to get a console just for like 1-2 games LOL

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you define your personal importance by your gaming love to a company (or their hardware) then ofc you want your favorite company to succeed and everyone else to fail. It also helps to lower your buyers remorse if you think (or act) that you went with the one and only company and this boosts your ego in your buyers decision as well.

People want to feel validated with their choices and desperately want to be on the winning side. So all others should fail.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Most video game enthusiasts see their console manufacturer of choice as a sports team. It's tribalism.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's genuinely pathetic to see tbh, this level of tribalism for megacorps that don't give a damn about you. Games should be for everyone, as widely available as possible. Don't limit art, and if you cheer for the limitation of art then I just feel sorry for you.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's tribalism. Nothing more, nothing less.
It's pretty lame but it is what it is.

We'll see an example of this if and when Death Stranding goes multiplat lol

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't get it. It's line people have nothing going on in their lives so they form tribes around hardware. This was fine in middle school but adults shouldn't be upset that someone else gets to play a game.

It'd be better for everyone if the games came to multiple platforms. Even if it's a year later or something. Devs and publishers get more money, and nor people get to enjoy the games. Like Xbox bringing their games to PC is awesome.

Everything should atleast come to PC lol. There's so many PC gamers who'd want to play the exclusives but would wouldn't buy consoles anymore.

Last edited:

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Every game should be exclusive to real gamers only.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing genuine anger over such a thing will never not be bizarre to me. Like, if I genuinely love a game then the more people that play it the merrier.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand this mindset. Xbox is my primary platform of choice and I'm only concerned with what games get ported to it, not what Xbox exclusives get ported elsewhere. More people getting to play them is a good thing.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exclusivity sucks except where it results in content that would not otherwise have existed. That said, finding out that a game you already bought is releasing later on a platform you would've rather had it on if you'd known sucks. Feeling like a console that you bought just to play a number of exclusive games is no longer a justified purchase because you could've played those exclusives on other platforms you already owned also sucks. And while fanboys suck too, fanboys exist. So we'll continue to see people jealously guarding exclusivity, either out of corporate loyalty, or out of desire to have their own purchasing decisions validated.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
At the mere thought of Death Stranding not being exclusive to sony, somone here wished them to fail hard next gen because the current management is insane to allow kojima to have the game on PC as well.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
If you define your personal importance by your gaming love to a company (or their hardware) then ofc you want your favorite company to succeed and everyone else to fail. It also helps to lower your buyers remorse if you think (or act) that you went with the one and only company and this boosts your ego in your buyers decision as well.

People want to feel validated with their choices and desperately want to be on the winning side. So all others should fail.
God damn it do I hate everything in your post. Though I hate the fact that I agree even more..

I still remember the meltdown that was because Square-Enix had the good sense to make Final Fantasy XIII multiplat. Jeesus christ..

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
As a PS4 only user you're asking me would I mind if Sony went multiplatform with their WWS output.........no,I still get to play them so doesn't affect me at all.It would make me consider other hardware though as right now I play on PS4 because it has the best combo of exclusives/multiplats.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they sure do. anytime some news (or rumors) comes out about a game potentially losing exclusivity, you have some people having reactions ranging from nervousness to straight up meltdowns.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think those big comapnies are some members's families here on ERA based on how they post regarding them.

It's both funny and sad at the same time.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
My question is, are these consoles different enough to each other outside of games, that if none of them had exclusive games you could justify buying and owning them?

In my opinion, it doesn't get more unique than having games you can't get on any other console, especially ones that make use of hardware the others don't have.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
My question is, are these consoles different enough to each other outside of games, that if none of them had exclusive games you could justify buying and owning them?

In my opinion, it doesn't get more unique than having games you can't get on any other console.
They would need to differentiate with hardware and services.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think we should expect any 3rd party game to be multi platform. So it's good when they eventually do release on more than one platform.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no issues with 1st party titles being exclusives. I have no issues with other titles being exclusives or timed exclusives if the platform company were the ones funding the game. But those are closed platforms. Open platforms I have a problem.with exclusives. Not in the way of a publisher only putting it's game on one storefront because it's easier for them or what have you, but when the storefront says here8a bunch of money to only be here.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's just fanboys who do this mostly, easy to ignore. Also weird how people are excited when companies buy studios but I guess it's a different discussion.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most video game enthusiasts see their console manufacturer of choice as a sports team. It's tribalism.

Bingo. Sports fans can get unreasonable when their favorite team is involved, gamers aren't much different, just replace their favorite team with their favorite hardware manufacturer. It seems fucking stupid to root for a game to stay on one platform, but thats just me

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would like to know if a game is timed exclusive or not, because they are the only reason I buy many consoles.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Besides square and from software I don't buy any game for fullprice that isn't exclusive tho. I don't skip them or anything, but I mostly buy them on sale.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
At the mere thought of Death Stranding not being exclusive to sony, somone here wished them to fail hard next gen because the current management is insane to allow kojima to have the game on PC as well.
Yeah, someone typed that with a straight face. Shit is not that important and has zero impact on their personal life but yeah sure, wish them to fail hard. So dumb

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have everything as well except my PC isn't good enough any more. I'd like more PC only stuff on consoles because of this.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Self appointed hardcore gatekeepers are the very worst thing about gaming in my opinion.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Seth Godin's 'This is Marketing' explains stuff like this quite well. It's on one level or another just human nature. Anything can become a game of status and hierarchy.

Last edited:

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are fanboys. Why is this such a taboo to discuss here? Even ERA has tons of fanboys. The difference is that this board is heavily moderated, so fanboys have to hide their true agendas, even though most of them are transparent as fuck.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I can see the thought process behind it because if you can only get a specific item on a specific platform then the value of that platform is increased.

However, the vitriol that some people have around the subject beggars belief. If another platform has a title you want it doesn't devalue yours it just increases theirs.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, just seen the latest recently banned blatant console warrior demonstrating this perfectly in one of the recent Xbox E3 threads revelling in the fact that Death Stranding is a PS exclusive.

I don't get it personally but it is definitely a thing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a cure. Owning all the systems. More people should try it, it is known to alleviate symptoms of butthurt and anxiousness.

To be fair there's a lot of self-validation involved too. A lot of people can't afford to buy all available consoles, let alone buy all the big exclusives on all of them. So for a lot of people, the choice of console seems to be followed up by a wish to prove it was the right one. This game isn't coming to my console? Must be trash. This is an exclusive on my system? Hyped! Much of it is needed to validate that you have not made a poor choice, that you're on the "right side", that you're better off here rather than there. This is, of course, not exclusive to gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't encourage exclusivity, but I also don't understand the hyper vigilance some have when a game is announced exclusive. I guess it just doesn't bother me. There's too many good games available anywhere to get in a huff.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's a puzzling sentiment to me. The more people get to play a good game, the better for everyone. It would also greatly reduce toxicity and animosity in the community.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Starcraft 2 would play really bad on Xbox One.

I can see it working with an adaptation of pointer controls on ps4 and switch but dear god rts on pure controller

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie I used to care about it when I was younger but as I got older I realised how stupid I was being. It's a petty thing to get upset about