• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do copy cat of you favorite games put you off or excites you?

• Excites me, i need more games like that

Votes: 293 70.9%
  • Put me off, let every game/franchise be its own thing.

Votes: 120 29.1%

• Total voters

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Excite me more than anything even if disappointing in the end.

Fallout/TES - when games are mentioned beside these I can't helped but get hyped even if I have serious doubts they can even get close to the appeal.

Souls - Jedi Fall Order has shown me that Souls games can be done better.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I don't feel like you can copy in video games, ideas or for every creator.

Sure you can take mechanics and apply them to your game. Clones usually take the mechanics with slight tweaks, but also lift level design, progressing and other systems.

Excite me more than anything even if disappointing in the end.

Fallout/TES - when games are mentioned beside these I can't helped but get hyped even if I have serious doubts they can even get close to the appeal.

Souls - Jedi Fall Order has shown me that Souls games can be done better.

No idea why there aren't any Bethesda styled rpg clones. Only one I can think of is Outer Worlds.

Oct 31, 2017
It depends on the quality of the imitations honestly. Like most Rockstar Games imitators do absolutely nothing for me for the most part, the only open world game I've loved at a same appreciable level from a different studio is Breath of the Wild.

And I'm way more receptive to things that are more "inspired by" rather than "trying to imitate the success of" another. It's a subtle distinction, but I think you can often tell.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
The reason I originally wanted to check out Genshin and Immortals was because they're BotW clones and while Immortals is a bit of a dud Genshin is better than BotW in pretty much every way.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why there aren't any Bethesda styled rpg clones. Only one I can think of is Outer Worlds.

I think some underestimate the effort and the engine required to pull off what Bethesda does in TES and Fallout. Even games like Outer Worlds only at a glance loom similar, but when you play them the lack of depth on game systems becomes obvious.

I would think the same people underestimating the requirements of what Bethesda does are the same people who want them to replace their engine.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I think some underestimate the effort and the engine required to pull off what Bethesda does in TES and Fallout. Even games like Outer Worlds only at a glance loom similar, but when you play them the lack of depth on game systems becomes obvious.

I would think the same people underestimating the requirements of what Bethesda does are the same people who want them to replace their engine.

Yeah you can tell Obsidian struggled with budget and manpower. It would require a lot of work to make a massive seamless world with the depth and systems in a Bethesda game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Totally depends on the game. Genshin Impact and Fenix Rising looking like and taking things from BotW? Cool with it.

Temtem knocking off Pokemon. Not cool with it.

There is a fine line when borrowing ideas from other games that if I think the game crosses the line I have no interest in it.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Definitely excites. I had a good time with Nexomon: Extinction. I probably enjoyed it as much or even more so than Sword&Shield honestly.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth games were SMT + Pokémon and I loved those. Tokyo Xanadu ex+ was also a really solid Persona clone as well. So yeah definitely.

Dec 12, 2017
I feel like competition breeds innovation when it comes to gaming. One example I like is the competition PUBG got. It started an entire genre

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was interested in geshin impact because it seemed like it was going to be an expansion on the gameplay i liked in Breath of the Wild and its probably the worst game ive played all year.

I generally don't care if a game rips off another one but if it's not expanding or twisting ideas in the way I loved in the first place it'll probably annoy me more than a game thats more original but fails the landing.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, my favorite games (serious, story-driven WRPGs and Deus Ex) are dead and no one is coming to imitate them, let alone even try.

Whimsical fantasy and sci-fi RPGs are definitely making a comeback, which is nice, but I do appreciate a more serious story with more personal stakes.

So I'll definitely take copy cats -- good or bad. If they suck, I won't play them.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
generally i don't really jive with imitators that try to be like some games i like only on the surface and don't understand what made the original good in the first place..

like, those F-Zero wannabes that have appeared since the series died do nothing for me. they all feel much worse and have nothing other than looks going for them.

other times if the imitator has things over the original, it can be good but i rarely seek that.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I get excited if the copy cat looks good. (Gears Tactics recently for me. Copied a lot from Xcom but added mechanics from the core Gears games in a delightful way).

Not excited if the copy cat looks bad.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game it's copying I guess

For example, I don't like Pokemon clones, doubt I ever will, their monster designs are always off-putting, so it's always a nonstarter off of that alone

Souls - Jedi Fall Order has shown me that Souls games can be done better

It's funny you say that, as I found it to be hilariously bad timing that it released the same year as the much more polished Sekiro

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If a game can stand on it's own, I'm OK with it. If a game makes me go: why am I not just playing the other game that I like? Then I don't get the point of that game existing.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The first time I heard of Nioh it was described to me as Dark Souls in 16th century Japan made by Team Ninja and I was like say no more.

In fact, I try to play almost every "soulslike" that comes to the market. They range from the amazing (Nioh 1 and 2), to pretty good (Mortal Shell), to good (The Surge and Ashen) to flat out bad (Lords of the Fallen).

Mutant Year Zero (XCOM but Showbiz Pizza Mutants) and Gears Tactics (XCOM but Gears) borrow the "Tactical" layer of Firaxis XCOM very, very closely. They even kept the same button mappings for stuff like reloading and overwatch. I love that those games exist even if they are nowhere near as good as XCOM 2. In fact I wish they'd borrowed more from XCOM, namely the strategy layer, which both games lack, and are worse for it.

I also enjoyed Sleeping Dogs so much more than any GTA game ever.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
They excite me, my love for most of my favorite games doesn't exist on some deeper artistic level, I usually just have fun playing them. For this reason I don't care about originality in the slightest.

There are shockingly few games that have even somewhat successfully copied what my favorites do though. And they're not even obscure. I'm talking like, Zelda and Pokemon. The dearth of clones of these games will never cease to surprise me.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I welcome more Hack and Slash but I tend to compare them all to DMC sometimes which ain't fair but yeah I welcome them

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If the inspiration is felt in the copycat, then sure, more the merrier.
Either way, the game that I liked is likely not going to have a sequel for another few years so having a decent copycat to play in the meantime isn't a bad thing.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game it's copying I guess

For example, I don't like Pokemon clones, doubt I ever will, their monster designs are always off-putting, so it's always a nonstarter off of that alone

It's funny you say that, as I found it to be hilariously bad timing that it released the same year as the much more polished Sekiro

I would need to 1) consider Sekiro to be a Souls game 2) think it was better to find this funny I guess.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Put me off, but not for the reason listed in the poll. More often than not they end up a pale imitation which isn't really what I'm looking for.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Since Sega believes that the existence of Sonic Mania 2 is a sinful act, I welcome the copycats. But the only one I can think of releasing in recent memory is Freedom Planet.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It depends on how blatant it is. With Zelda for example games like Darksiders or Immortals are great, games like Oceanhorn seem directly plagiarism.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Fortunately, I'm neutral for this.

If the copy is good, then it's good.

If it's not, then it's not.

🤷

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind games taking elements from other successful games and making them into some new and exciting thing, but playing the demo for Immortals: Fenyx Rising angered me. It attempted to replicate the gameplay mechanics of Breath of the Wild while lacking the complexity those mechanics had in Breath of the Wild.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
If it's done well, I like it. Immortals Fenyx Rising and Genshin Impact are some recent games that take obvious inspiration from other games (BOTW, AC, etc.) but they do it well and excel at certain aspects that make them unique.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So far: initially interests me, but ultimately fails to meet even lukewarm expectations in nearly every respect more often than not. Talking pure "copycats" here though, not simply games that "borrow" an idea or two.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
As long as they got their own twist or expanded aspect when compared to original I'm fine with them, but they really should have their own identity and ideas. Failure or success (in my eyes) of copycats can ultimately depend on pettiest things.

One example of recent personal disappointment is Prodeus. I get it that it wants to be a Doom clone with modern controls and similarities are intentional, but I felt that it just had too much of direct inspiration going on with it where enemy types and most weapons were lifted straight off it's forefather. It didn't feel it really stands on it's own, which admittedly could to be part of it's purpose.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game to game is going to be different but ultimately it excites me because I'm getting more of what I love.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I personally love them. The more Pokemon-like, Zelda-like, Animal Crossing-like games the better. Ittle Dew is adorable, I'm super excited to get to play Tem Tem on PS5 when I'm able to afford it and I'm super excited for Hokko life. Such a tragic shame the awful reaction the latter most received when it was revealed. Multiple sites even made articles to call it shameless and trash it too. Animal Crossing is my favorite Nintendo franchise and it's the type of game style that we sorely need more of, not less.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
The issue I run in is for obvious reasons copy-cats are short on budget, so if the franchise I enjoy is something with say balancing at its core, a copy-cat will more likely than not be unbalanced because it's something that requires extremely skilled folks to do which obviously require higher wages and longer development times which is something not everybody can afford, so I usually stay away from Action knock-offs or Monster Catchers because they are usually more exploitable than the real series. On the opposite side I think there's definitely room for copy-cats in platformers and Metroidvania, especially because one brand new power can turn a samey title in something distinctive. so your Axiom Verge and Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair feel more worthwhile than say Tem Tem.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon-likes are always off for me, whether it be the design of the monsters or the "improved" mechanics they're never quite right. The designs seem to fall into either overly complicated or budget poke-rejects. From what I played Tem-Tem had both, with seemingly no tie between colour/design and type.
Huh, actually, this is the one where I think almost all the clones do a better job for me. I'm much more into the Dragon Quest Monsters, Digimon, and like 2 or 3 other monster collecting franchises than like the last 15 years of Pokemon.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes clones are all we have if the original isn't being made anymore. In any case I don't usually have an issue with it. They aren't all successful but a good clone can bring new ideas to the table or at least give us more of a good thing.

Nearly every game comes across as copying something anyway, some are just more blatant with it. Really not sure where the line is between just being in the same genre and being a clone.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Being influenced by something is one thing, but outright copying something is lame to me so I generally go in with suspicion, but will give them a fair shake if the quality is high.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Depends on how well it's executed tbh. Pokemon clones are usually rubbish for example, but I was pleasantly surprised by Nexomon Evolution this year. Most of my tastes are rather niche (FE and Pikmin) so I'd be ecstatic if there even were clones of either.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If the copy is as good or better than the original that's great. It's just that it's almost never the case.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I tend to play quite niche genres so both sequels and copycats are fairly rare and I take whatever I can get.