• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Has Sony ever cared about backward compatibility though?
All their efforts on that so far has been half assed.
I'm sure the only reason PS4 games are going to be fully backward compatible on PS5 is because modern architecture of PS4 and PS5 made that extremely trivial.
PS2 had full PS1 backwards compatability. PS3 at launch had full PS1 and PS2 backwards compatability. Later models removed PS2 functionality but PS1 remained. PS Vita despite lacking a UMD drive had a large catalog of PSP games available. Both PSP and Vita had a massive amount of PS1 support.

PS4 is the outlier and it fucking sucks. They need to recify it with PS5.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible, they could probably get a good software emulation solution going. They already have a PSP emulator for PS4 that gives great results with substantial upgrades but it seems like they want to sell those. Vita games in PSTV mode just need an up-res to 1080p/4K

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call the BC on PSP, PSV and PS3 (after they remove BC) great.
But I guess people just have lower standard for console.

I dunno, the Vita could play all digital PSP games and sold tons and tons of PS1 classics that you could play across Vita, PSP or PS3. I think that was really good.

PS3 continued to support PS1 games even after PS2 BC was removed.

Jan 3, 2019
I wouldn't call the BC on PSP, PSV and PS3 (after they remove BC) great.
But I guess people just have lower standard for console.
Why?

With the exception of a dozen or so games, every PS1 game can be played on PS2 and PS3. Just looking at the numbers on the US Store, officially PSP plays 204 PS1 games, Vita plays 171, PS3 plays 211. Most (all of?) of the PSP digital library is available on Vita. The only foible until the PS4 was removing PS2 hardware backwards compatibility and even then there are currently 100 games available digitally.

I don't think there was a platform with better track record. Until the PS4, of course.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Bullshit. Every Sony console and portable not called PS4 has had extensive backwards compatibility options.

Very true. I remember being disappointed I couldn't play my all of my OG XBox games on my 360, but the PS3 had native support for PS2 and PS1. Yes, the later models used emulation for PS2 games to save money, but still, it was hardly half-assed.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they found a way to make PS5 compatible with all legacy software it would be massive. They could implement that tech going forward into anything they release and expand their platform each iteration. Works wonders for keeping your fanbase at home.

I can see PSP happening, but only if they get the whole package. PS1/PS2/PS3 is a priority.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, PS5 will likely not even have backwards compatibility with PS1-3, much less their portables. Sony will rely on PS Now for PS3 support and the crappy PS2 on PS4 program that only have a few games. Since the PS5 is fully PS4 backwards compatible, that is the best you are going to get.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony thinks people only want remakes of PS1 games and not the originals emulated, as the PS Classic massively failed. Of course the Classic failed because it had a horrible game selection and piss poor emulation but the higher ups at Sony might not see it that way.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
The PS TV (whatever that thing is called, I forgot) exists. Games were playable with a DS3 or DS4. The games that required the touchpad were on a blacklist. They could do the same here, no need to lock out the entire Vita library if they actually wanted BC with all previous consoles.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why?

With the exception of a dozen or so games, every PS1 game can be played on PS2 and PS3. Just looking at the numbers on the US Store, officially PSP plays 204 PS1 games, Vita plays 171, PS3 plays 211. Most (all of?) of the PSP digital library is available on Vita. The only foible until the PS4 was removing PS2 hardware backwards compatibility and even then there are currently 100 games available digitally.

I don't think there was a platform with better track record. Until the PS4, of course.

PC is always the gold standard for BC not only for the platform, but also for other platforms.
200 PS1 game is not really much considering there are thousands of PS1 games released.
In addition PS1 BC on PSP, PSV and PS3 requires you to rebuy the same game with basically next to no improvement.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't even think we'll get full ps4 bc so no. Do I want it though absolutely. I think it's possible to have it every system compatible but is it worth the resources needed to make it happen, to me yes to Sony I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
5 for 5amily, PS5 will be backwards compatible with all PlayStations ever!

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Very true. I remember being disappointed I couldn't play my all of my OG XBox games on my 360, but the PS3 had native support for PS2 and PS1. Yes, the later models used emulation for PS2 games to save money, but still, it was hardly half-assed.
I agree that theyve done good in the past, not gonna argue that but your ps3 comment is incorrect, they took out ps2 bc in the ps3 fat. It was most ps3s that didn't have ps2 bc. I believe the launch ps3s had hardware, then they had an updated fat with emulation then one last updated fat with nothing and everything after, slims, and super slims had nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
If you consider the mileage they could get out of it, they should definitely do it. It would be in their best interests to get as many gens on PS5 as possible. It is just a ton of software sitting there that could be leveraged with their current services.

Sony plucked Gravity Rush from Vita to come to PS4 and that ended up becoming one of my favorite IP. I'd definitely be interested in experiencing more of those handheld games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They always did really great, but I don't think that in 2020 having BC with disc only really cuts the mustard and because of that need and want from consumers to be able to purchase long lost game, this introduces all of the legal issues that MS have spoken about.
Whilst of course there is an argument to say just make it availble for disc onlu, I think you would actually cause PR problems with people can't actually get hold of games they want to play.

And even then, the testing required to understand the compatibility and reliability for 4 generations of titles, with games often having multi print runs, often including code changes and games having physically different code and performance across PAL/NTSC regions creates a mind boggling amount of work to be done.
That's before you even consider that almost all of the european region's games are hard coded for 50hz only for Ps1/PS2 , which then means you've got to deal with running 50hz video on the 60hz machine on a 60hz display, which then has quality implications and engineering implications for the rest of the PS5.

in short, providing BC is no simple task, even for a big company like Sony.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It would be the ultimate gaming machine if it had compatibility with every past Playstation system, but realistically speaking it'll probably not be more than PS4 compatibility.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My pipe dream, and I acknowledge that the likelihood of this is near zero, is that Sony adds backwards compatibility for every PlayStation home console. That includes PSTV, ergo (digital only) PSP backwards compatibility.

My dream Sony console is one that can play all/most of the best PlayStation games going back to the very beginning and, where possible, let you use your discs. Imagine having one system that plays games like the entire MGS series and Chrono Cross, as well as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games through the ages, not to mention the GTA games, the DMC games, Soul Edge through to SoulCalbiur VI, Persona 1, both Persona 2 releases, all versions of 3, 4 and 5 and their spinoffs too. And then there's Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2, all the God of War games across its many Sony platforms and so on.

It feels like a system for the ages, and it'd get me really excited for PS5 if I could access the bulk of the PlayStation library through one device.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
In addition PS1 BC on PSP, PSV and PS3 requires you to rebuy the same game with basically next to no improvement.
PS3 happily accepts PSone discs. It doesn't require you to rebuy anything.

For PSP I think it's pretty clear there was no way to get it running PSone discs. The real-life implementation of PSone compatibility was as good as it could have been - they sold PSone games for very low prices on the PlayStation Store and those purchases were (generally) compatible with both PSP and PS3. They also had lots of PSone games as part of PlayStation Plus so anyone subscribed to that built up a substantial collection.

The Vita's PSone compatibility works largely the same way. That meant that people who already had PSP-compatible PSone games didn't have to rebuy them on Vita.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
There is the slightest of chances that PS5 can play PS1 + 2 + 3 games, but no chance that portable games will work

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that theyve done good in the past, not gonna argue that but your ps3 comment is incorrect, they took out ps2 bc in the ps3 fat. It was most ps3s that didn't have ps2 bc. I believe the launch ps3s had hardware, then they had an updated fat with emulation then one last updated fat with nothing and everything after, slims, and super slims had nothing.

Nah, my PS3 comment is not incorrect, it just didn't go all the way down the line like you did. Even still, it's not uncommon for future revisions in a console generation to remove certain things for cost cutting. The fact remains that PS2 had backward compatibility, and so did the PS3 for a very long time. It has never been half-assed. Sony didn't see that the demand for it was high enough to warrant the effort on PS4. Obviously with games now getting enhancements and benefiting from more powerful hardware like the XB1X, that puts more emphasis on backward compatibility.

Jan 3, 2019
PC is always the gold standard for BC not only for the platform, but also for other platforms.
200 PS1 game is not really much considering there are thousands of PS1 games released.
Well no shit. There is nothing they could do that can compare with the effort of thousands of talented people spanned throughout decades without being constrained by licensing.

What you want isn't reasonable on an unmmoded console.

PS3 can play PS1 discs.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
At launch near zero. While I wouldn't predict it, there's always a slim possibility later in the generation they will allow it.

Granted I think how their software emulation works always matters. I'm not technically inclined enough to even guess, but if their solution for PS3 makes it very easy for them to run PSP games as well, I mean maybe?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i would love to have it for P4 Golden, but there is like 0% chance of that happening.

Oct 30, 2017
Has Sony ever cared about backward compatibility though?
All their efforts on that so far has been half assed.
I'm sure the only reason PS4 games are going to be fully backward compatible on PS5 is because modern architecture of PS4 and PS5 made that extremely trivial.
Of course they have.

PS2 played PS1 games.
PS3 played PS2 and PS1 until they needed to cut the price to stop the PS3 from losing market share.
PS Vita also played PSP games digitally.
Not to mention the PS1 and PS2 emulators that have been used to easily bring titles to various PS platforms.

I can't say Sony gave us a half ass effort until the PS4.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
No. I don't think there is anywhere near enough mainstream demand or reverence for them to spend whatever resources it would take to make that happen and be worthwhile.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish but no. I'd love a cheap remote play centered device for $150 or less tho that can play PSP/ps1/vita natively (lol that isn't vita) as a PS5 accessory

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
It would be amazing if the PS5 could replace those classic machines and become a one stop shop for all things PlayStation. Some absolute gems hiding on the PSP and the Vita that deserve another day in the sun.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I would love full or even 50% backwards compatibility but I don't think it will happen. Hope is for PS3 & PS4 (disc and digital) but it will probably just be for a lot of PS4 games with Sony saying they'll work with developers to bring over more from other generations.