• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am talking about PSP and PS Vita titles. Or is this where we say good bye and see them forgotten to time?

PS Vita compatibility might be tricky due to touch screen, back touchpad and other gimmicks. But no reason why PSP can't work.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't expect anything beyond PS4 and don't think anyone else should expect it either. There being zero evidence and all.

Would obviously be amazing to get it though.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It would be great but unfortunately i don't think there's a high chance.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha no PSP is pretty old by this point and what's the point of having backwards compatibility with portables when Sony's only ever had one portable system.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They have a working PSP emulator already so maybe?
I don't see why Vita would be an issue. They could just do what they did for the PS TV for the controls

doubt either will happen but there's no real technical reason that they shouldn't

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Would love it, especially if I could go and hunt down trophies in some of those games (a lot of which look pretty nice with the resolution bumped up in PPSSPP), but iunno if Sony will bother.

The Vita already has a great PSP emulator right? Or is that hardware-based (actually, don't they even have it for PS4 already - since the SOTN/Rondo of Blood collection is based on the PSP versions of those games)?
Has Sony ever cared about backward compatibility though?
All their efforts on that so far has been half assed.
I'm sure the only reason PS4 games are going to be fully backward compatible on PS5 is because modern architecture of PS4 and PS5 made that extremely trivial.
Before the PS4 they cared plenty.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All their efforts on that so far has been half assed.
I'm sure the only reason PS4 games are going to be fully backward compatible on PS5 is because modern architecture of PS4 and PS5 made that extremely trivial.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. I still dont know if we will see BC for PS1/PS2... I would never dream to have even the portable ones

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not holding my breath. Would love to see BC for all their legacy home consoles though.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It could happen. Basically all the titles playable on the Playstation TV should have the OK to be playable (as in, perfectly playable with a Dualshock) on PS5 if Sony wishes to.
But Ill only hold my breath for PS3, so I don't care for the portables as of now.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I always thought that the BIG PS5 thing would have been total retrocompatibility with every PS system EVAH... but it isn't going to happen, sadly :(

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
99% no.

PS4 95% yes
PS3 5% yes, but not with physical games
PS2 20% yes, but not with physical games
PS1 20% yes but not with physical games

The PS3 had a full working PSP emulator and they used it for... Parappa the Rapper?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
No but it would be so great. I would even buy an external UMD and Vitacards drive for my PS5. One console to play them all will always be a dream though. But on the other hand I have the originals and can play them there. I buy new consoles for new games.

We will get PS4 BC and that's it.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
That would be crazy amazing. But it's very unlikely to happen.

We still don't know how the PlayStation 5's PS4 backwards compatibility will work.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
my heart says yes! how hard is it really to emulate those especially PSP now? Even my nvidia shield can do that!
my mind says no! I am a pragmatist.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
It would be great but I doubt it. I only expect PS4.
PS3 is a weird architecture. Hard to emulate. Possible but costly and more worth it to release remasters.
PS2 would be possible for Sony but they could probably earn enough money releasing HD versions.
They could easily implement PS1. But I doubt they will. No trace of it on PS4.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a moderately decent chance of this. It's probably best not to expect it, but it'd be a relatively easy feature to add and it'd be a solid boost to their library of backwards compatible games.

They've already gotten PSP compatibility on Vita, PS4 (for a selection of games, but there's no reason to think that it wouldn't work for general emulation) and PS3 (the entire Minis range works on PS3 through PSP emulation).

PS Vita compatibility might be tricky due to touch screen, back touchpad and other gimmicks.
From their time with PS TV they already have a whitelist of Vita games that they know work without those things. Also if the PS5 has buttons on the back then mapping them to the left and right sides of the Vita's rear touchpad covers a fairly high percentage of the use cases of that feature.

Just PS4 for hardware BC I reckon, the rest through PS Now.
They're hardly going to put custom Vita blades in data centres. It makes much more sense to do this through emulation, especially since the games maxed out at 4GB so downloads are bandwidth-efficient compared to streaming.

Apart from PS4, yes, absolutely they have.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
back compat to ps2 would mean a direct purchase at launch even.
An easy way to get Romancing Saga Minstrel Song with less vaseline on screen would last me forever!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love it to support every digital purchase Sony has offered so far on consoles and PSP is part of that but I highly doubt it sadly.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A hacked PSTV (with SD2Vita and whitelist patch) is all you need to play all PSOne, PSP and PSVITA games on your TV. Sadly sony has forgotten that once they have great portable consoles and its legacy. Secret of mana remake, persona 4 golden, ultimate ghost and goblins, castlevania chronicles, street fighter alpha 3 max, megaman power up or maverick hunter x, killzone liberation or killzone mercenary were awesome games.
Really if you want to play them on your tv buy a pstv and hack it.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Shit, I'm over here worried we won't even get full PS4 backwards compatibility, and you're talking about PSP and Vita?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
A hacked PSTV (with SD2Vita and whitelist patch) is all you need to play all PSOne, PSP and PSVITA games on your TV. Sadly sony has forgotten that once they have great portable consoles and its legacy. Secret of mana remake, persona 4 golden, ultimate ghost and goblins, castlevania chronicles, street fighter alpha 3 max, megaman power up or maverick hunter x, killzone liberation or killzone mercenary were awesome games.
Really if you want to play them on your tv buy a pstv and hack it.
The PS TV is a nice little machine, but having PSP/Vita compatibility on PS5 would offer some big advantages, potentially including higher native resolutions for games, save states, faster loading, and better PSone emulation. For Sony and third party publishers it'd have the additional advantage of making those games available to a wider audience and not just the much smaller number of active Vita/PS TV owners.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would really like it, but it's probably slim. My guess is that we'll see PS4 BC at launch, I mean I believe that is confirmed, and then they'll roll out other BC throughout the lifecycle. Maybe.
Yes, Sony have arguably been the most dedicated to backwards compatibility. Just not this generation.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it. I wouldn't expect the PS5 to be 'fully backwards compatible' beyond the PS4 and the handful of PS2 classics that the PS4 supports (that are basically native PS4 titles). Not at launch.