• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
You know those little cartoons that appear on the score screens in bowling alleys? I want a game that goes for that style, to the same degree Cuphead styles itself on old Disney cartoons.

This stuff:

Erucy0-XMAIkf4t

Eruc44vXAAAffKZ
\
ErudAjVXUAAi35D

ErudJYUXIAEXBKi

There's a specific level of jankiness and griminess to a bowling alley animation that has never been explored in video games, as far as I know.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
it requires a bit a weirdness to blow up a turkey cause you got a third strike. i cant think of any game off the top of my head thats quirky to that level and had animation to match.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some early 3D point and click adventure games 100% nailed this sort of feel. The best possible example out there is probably Armed and Delirious. Check out this amazing Ross's Game Dungeon for an extremely entertaining trip.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Are there any games then which have real time gameplay that looks like PS1 cutscenes, then?
l-NrMHcuXHaA91UHmFim589n95ZMMTT4V2xjG-nYbswWmexsUq7jtbFN4A3gk6DNsqbNbkCieSzJMNAlk-EgsuZFCa-DZnN1QLJqDY7uPC8Ziymq1VaqklewYeAz863H2eIwhl87OyPU1QUVqmHy0b8AAcTTQ6xyYHdLEF0rkSpN6_kULnkX

This one looks the part IMO. It's a point & click. The game claims to use NURBS for its character models which a lot of those old CGI cutscenes probably used too. Non-Uniformly Rendered Bezier Splines are an outdated method for CG modeling, nowadays people just use tesselated polygons.

Oct 27, 2017
l-NrMHcuXHaA91UHmFim589n95ZMMTT4V2xjG-nYbswWmexsUq7jtbFN4A3gk6DNsqbNbkCieSzJMNAlk-EgsuZFCa-DZnN1QLJqDY7uPC8Ziymq1VaqklewYeAz863H2eIwhl87OyPU1QUVqmHy0b8AAcTTQ6xyYHdLEF0rkSpN6_kULnkX

This one looks the part IMO. It's a point & click. The game claims to use NURBS for its character models which a lot of those old CGI cutscenes probably used too. Non-Uniformly Rendered Bezier Splines are an outdated method for CG modeling, nowadays people just use tesselated polygons.

NURBS!
That takes me back

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Not quite the same but Hylics and its sequel are similar.

Same with Dujanah

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It absolutely has been explored. On PC. In the 90s.

EDIT: The original Alone in the Dark games are maybe the most this specific thing.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
makes me think of graphics you got from mid-90s SGI machines for mass consumption.

My submission? The box art for Wave Race 64. Those shiny plasticy textures, so good.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I made this thread about Hamsterball on PS3 once, it's just a tad more polished I think but it still has a really weirdly clean, surreal style that's close to what you're going for

www.resetera.com

I think I found the best video game to play while on drugs*

*actually I've never done drugs and have no idea what drug of choice would enhance this game, but please feel free to offer your sage advice I downloaded this Hamsterball game on my PS3 ages ago because it had some 7-player mode and it was mildly amusing to play this weird party mode for 10...

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Heart of Darkness (PS1)
Heart_of_Darkness_PSX_intro0000.gif

Nails the lo-fi aesthetic right down to the ridiculously low frame rate.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't seen it before, I think the intro to Clockwork Knight is pretty close to what you're wanting.

kZ8zCKp.png

oPhTlCj.png

iTLIejs.png

YbAxoGr.png

Mcb77Wm.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Bouncers was the first one that came to mind. I read about it in Sega Visions and became kind of obsessed by the concept (one-on-one basketball where you have to put yourself through the hoop by bouncing off of your opponent to gain height), but I never had a Sega CD. I suppose I could play it now, but I think it's best to just keep the idealized Bouncers I have in my head and not disillusion myself with the real thing.

Besides that, I present:

SPACE DUDE

Also Iggy's Reckin' Balls, which was actually a decent game

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
The games by Cosmo D have that 90s prerendered look but in real time 3D
ss_34906a29cbcecb051bd44a61e5e2db2859a0d5da.1920x1080.jpg

Yep was just gonna suggest those

Literally exactly what OP is looking for.

Other games that have given me 90s CGI vibes include Talos Principle and Pathologic 2, but they're pretty different from what's in the OP.