• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Games such as GTA have always had police enforcement for bad crimes like, you know, murder.

However they don't give a shit if I fly through red light at 120mph. To be more immersive, they should be pulling me over and busting my ass.

I know some people are gonna say "they don't because that's not fun". But I think it'd make sense as an option for players who want that immersion.

Let me flip on a "realistic driving laws" switch. Or build a game designed around it.

Do any already exist? Emphasis on open world.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
To add on for Euro and American Truck Simulator, both games handle it differently. Euro mostly relies on automated systems, so it's a lot easier to get fined for stuff like speeding and running red lights. Though cops also still exist. For American, a cop car normally has to see you speed or run a red light. The game is kinda evil in this regard as I've noticed if you speed for more than ten seconds, the game tends to spawn a cop car coming the opposite way.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To add on for Euro and American Truck Simulator, both games handle it differently. Euro mostly relies on automated systems, so it's a lot easier to get fined for stuff like speeding and running red lights. Though cops also still exist. For American, a cop car normally has to see you speed or run a red light. The game is kinda evil in this regard as I've noticed if you speed for more than ten seconds, the game tends to spawn a cop car coming the opposite way.
just like real life!

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
That's strange. I get fined for running red lights in American Truck Simulator whether there's a cop around or not.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
+1 for Mafia. The open world in the original was pretty basic, but the traffic simulation was pretty good.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
The first Watch Dogs the police will chase you for speeding through a red light, you can even pull over, get out and hold your hands up and give up if you don't want the chase. I think they put it in as a small nod to Driver, the same way the muscle cars do a big burnout when you pull away from a stand still like Driver let you do

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The first Watch Dogs the police will chase you for speeding through a red light, you can even pull over, get out and hold your hands up and give up if you don't want the chase. I think they put it in as a small nod to Driver, the same way the muscle cars do a big burnout when you pull away from a stand still like Driver let you do
Well, Watch Dogs driving system was made by Reflections (OG devs of Driver), so maybe lol

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Driver on the PS1. The cops would chase you if you ran a red light in the "free roam" segments.

Driver and Driver 2 free roam modes were so good. Me and my brother would take turns playing until the other had their vehicle wrecked. Those police chases were such insane fun.

I remember in Driver 2 if you spammed the button to exit the vehicle while your car was getting wrecked there was a small chance you could get out on foot and grab another car.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Driver and Driver 2 free roam modes were so good. Me and my brother would take turns playing until the other had their vehicle wrecked. Those police chases were such insane fun.

I remember in Driver 2 if you spammed the button to exit the vehicle while your car was getting wrecked there was a small chance you could get out on foot and grab another car.
I spent most of my time as a kid playing that free roam stuff because I couldn't pass the damn tutorial in Driver :D

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
In theory it sounds ok, but you really don't want this, strips all the fun out of the driving.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I always add a fine reduction mod because them fines for driving a truck like you starring in a Speed remake soon add up.

Peebs

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2020
The Mafia remake is far more lax. There are barely any traffic lights present.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong. I know it's been a while since I've run a red light, so it could easily have changed or happened and I'm just remembering wrong.
You can tell the difference because the fine is accompanied by sirens if there's a cop nearby.

Another thing I remembered regarding American Truck Simulator is that you also get fined if you haul through areas you're not supposed to. Well, Yosemite National Park. I don't know if there's anywhere else actually.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
My wife *loved* LA Noire for a few reasons, but she extra loved how she could drive from one place to another like a normal person and the game expected you to do it that way. She waited at every red light and only turned very slowly, which made me antsy to see at first but I grew to appreciate her dedication to not killing pedestrians every block just to get to the next mission slightly quicker like I do.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Driver on the PS1. The cops would chase you if you ran a red light in the "free roam" segments.

That one mission where the car was an absolute wreck and all you had to do was not get hurt for the whole mission was the best. Following all rules hoping the cops wouldn't bother you. Great game.

Oct 25, 2017

There is a real gap in the market now for some good police chases in a world with proper texture. And a related gap for the oppressive and impossible 'chases' from that insane difficulty where cop cars generally came at you like torpedoes. Indie devs come on, you know you want to!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as people said, Mafia 1-2, Driver 1-2 (I forgot if 3 had it though).

Great games. Driver in particular is such a blast when you drive without following the law.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Didn't one of the Yakuza games have a Taxi driver simulator that penalize you for bad driving and not responding to your customer's conversation?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Steambot Chronicles makes you obey traffic laws with your mech, though you don't drive directly inside the city, only choosing directions at intersections and such.