• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just curious, what kind of job do you do now that you don't have to sit in an office the whole day?
I'm a Sales Manager, working from home 1-2 days a week and travel the rest, visiting a wide range of industries from oil refineries to pharma, working on technical specifications, doing site surveys, spending time with my team etc. It's a hugely varied job, the days fly by and I love it. But it's not for everyone - I know many people who love the routine of 9-5 (or 8-6 in this day and age), and sitting in an office with their colleagues all day every day. I just can't stand that though, I like to be out and about! But for many who work in the videogame industry, they have such a huge passion for what they do, and they're often so proud of what they achieve, that it's not about the money, and they don't care whether they're in an office or not. Unfortunately that passion often gets exploited by the big publishers, which is sad to see.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a Sales Manager, working from home 1-2 days a week and travel the rest, visiting a wide range of industries from oil refineries to pharma, working on technical specifications, doing site surveys, spending time with my team etc. It's a hugely varied job, the days fly by and I love it. But it's not for everyone - I know many people who love the routine of 9-5 (or 8-6 in this day and age), and sitting in an office with their colleagues all day every day. I just can't stand that though, I like to be out and about! But for many who work in the videogame industry, they have such a huge passion for what they do, and they're often so proud of what they achieve, that it's not about the money, and they don't care whether they're in an office or not. Unfortunately that passion often gets exploited by the big publishers, which is sad to see.
Ah, that sounds interesting. Congrats to this position! :) And thanks for this insight

Nov 1, 2017
I think working in the industry would be fun depending on what you do. If you're doing a straightforward office/admin job for a large company it seems like it'd be cool. Something where you're either customer-facing or development or marketing seems like it'd be hell unless you enjoy the (extreme) hustle life.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I've always had two dreams.

To see the entire world, live, work and travel in some 50 plus countries. This dream I am achieving.

My other was to work in the games industry. In marketing or concept design. This dream seems unlikely as I just don't know anyone or have the experience required.

So yea I'd love to

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
For a long time my dream was to be in games coverage, and I have written for a fair number of small outlets, but realistically I don't think I would have the chops to work for one of the big outlets in any real capacity, and at my age, it would be really hard to develop those skills and relationships in a time frame that would make sense for my career.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I would mainly fir money.
For some people its not worth it as they have options that pay similar or better, living in Latam, I have been considering developing indie as I even with poor sales I would probably make more money than what I do now overseeing a system transition and cleaning messes for one of the top 10 global companies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Not making games. That's not my interest.

But marketing, biz dev, developer relations type of thing? Sounds very fun.

Feraligatre

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
No.

I used to draw up casts/write stories/plan scenarios (haphazardly mostly) for dreamt up JRPGs as a kid and, in some sense, I do still fantasize occasionally about being able to be a "creative lead" or director of such a project but...I do not have the skill set, do not tell stories people'd much care to hear, can't draw too well, etc. Nor do I want to work at a big publisher or have the skill set for that either.

So I've put those things aside in a box and look at them from time to time. I do name my character in create-a-character games after my favorite characters from my "games" often times though.
You should believe in yourself more. You won't know if people resonate with your concepts until you make something of them. Find a small group of likeminded people and start work on an indie game, if nothing else than to prove to yourself you can do it.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017

I had to go back to school and do a double MS to maintain legal status during my time in the US. When I finally got the H1B visa selected in the lottery system, I was convinced that I am going to definitely land on a job in the games industry since during previous occasions I was denied a job citing lack of visa sponsorship options for contract gigs. Everything was taken away from me and I had to leave USA. If only I could somehow pursue my dreams of working in the games industry in America!

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Yes but not in development. I am a data analyst with a few business degrees. I would love to work for a major publisher and have access to real data about how the current strategies employed in the market are actually panning out. Specifically, I would love to work for like an EA or Ubisoft and see how the trend towards fewer games has affected risk assessment when they green-light a new title.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really. I am a developer but in a completely different field, and the types of technical problems you solve in game development don't seem that interesting to me. Game design is a much more interesting field to me, but I don't really have the type of skill set one would need for that.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that sucks. I feel sorry for you. :'(

I swear man I had the opportunity sealed. The QA managers from the studio who interviewed me were convinced of my passion, enthusiasm and vibrant personality. A god damn third party contracting vendor who was supposed to give me the contract to work for the studio denied me, telling me bluntly that they are unwilling to work with those who are on H1B visa. The studio then asked me if I could become a permanent resident aka green card. I am like whaaat, it's taken me almost 5 years with double MS programs to get the damn H1B lottery selection in my favor and now you're asking me to become a green card holder. That's going to take a decade or more due to the messed up immigration system. You're making it sound so easy as though green cards are sold in gas stations, it isn't. The process is long and arduous. One of the questions I was asked during the skype interview put a big smile on both QA managers and on my face when I responded. "So what according to you is the greatest game of all time?". I am constantly torn between three games, one of which was made by the studio interviewing me. Yet without a seconds hesitation I said "xyz game" and gave reasons for it. You'd all seen my name in the credits of their game that came out, ah man. My dreams of seeing my name in the credits of a game that I obsessed about would have been accomplished. Wish I was born American!

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
No, I enjoy being an indie dev. I worked in triple A for a few years in gaming and got burnt out by it. I am not going back to that kind of schedule ever again. I am thankful for the experiences I gained from it but, yeah, triple A gaming dev schedule can die in a fire. (I hate crunch time!)

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I programmed two small games for Android and iOS last semester and it was an enjoyable experience. I would love to code more games on my own. I want to learn Unity as well.

LostLink

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to work as a story/scenario writer, art director. But I know that the chances are not encouraging.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
I currently do and don't see myself ever wanting to work in another industry. The people alone make it all worthwhile

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
When I was a kid my two dream jobs for when I grew up were to make games, and be a chef. Turns out both of those dream jobs tend to be overworked grind-fests with tons of turnover. Was a pretty big bummer when I came of age and realized it.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I sure would. Either as a story writer or on level design/art director. I'd like to think I could come up with some interesting and new stories and locations in games. Not expecting to actually do it but you never know.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm a graphic designer and video editor. I currently work in higher education but have worked in the financial sector before and would be interested in working for a game studio, provided it has good benefits, retirement and isn't too crazy with deadlines. I'm sure being a designer at one is a bit different that trying to fix bugs in the code.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I would love to! So far it is only a hobby (only released one game) but it would be amazing to make a hit game and be able to work full time in this creative medium.

The fact that I am a indie developer for around 6 years have not made me enjoy playing video games less.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a graphic designer and video editor. I currently work in higher education but have worked in the financial sector before and would be interested in working for a game studio, provided it has good benefits, retirement and isn't too crazy with deadlines. I'm sure being a designer at one is a bit different that trying to fix bugs in the code.

I'd imagine being a visual designer at a publisher or developer is a lot like being a designer at a marketing agency. As someone who has worked in both a university environment as well as multiple marketing agencies, and most recently at a marketing agency, the two are vastly different. The benefits aren't great, retirement isn't really something you think about because you know it's not a job you'll have for longer than 3-4 years, and deadlines are plentiful and aggressive. Working in higher education is so chill comparatively.

I'd like to get into it, but it seems like the most "fun" and realistic venue of getting into games is as a content producer on the media side, and I have no idea how you get into something like that without a connection. I think I'm a reasonably talented designer and I'm incredibly hard working; and I still haven't been able to find a new design job in the city I moved to because I have 0 connections.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Only as an actor. One of my dreams is to have the opportunity to voice and/or motion capture some characters in games. Other than that, I just don't have the skills necessary to be involved in any other part of the industry nor do I have much interest.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I'm 36 and think about it constantly. Would love to be in the HR side of things and recruitment. I have a ridiculously specialized Masters though, and even though I have ample transferable skills (hiring, onboarding, supervision, etc.) I would have to effectively restart with a MBA.

Wish when I was younger I would have jumped into the programming side of things. Don't sell yourself short, folks. I love what I do, but I still settled.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've worked at some of the most desired companies to work for in the industry. My personal view is working on games doesn't necessarily make work more rewarding.

I prefer working in other parts of tech.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I do and it's pretty great. It's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, there are definitely places where it's NOT great, but you can find some good ones.

Also doesn't ruin my hobby, because I'm not playing games all day. I'm making art and stuff. It's actually satisfying getting away from it and playing a completed polished product that is done and I can enjoy it.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
As an independent or freelancer developer, yes.

Working for big coporations thereby lacking creative control and having to abide by objectives set by executives, no.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
No. Dealing with ERPs and business applications both from the dev and supervisory end have crushed my idealism. I am barely hanging on with reinventing guardrails for massive cloud adoption. Trying to make it "fun" along the way and failing the public would make me go Mosquito Coast.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeap, game / bug tester. But to my conditions.
Give me a week or two with a given game I'll find 100s of bugs and glitches that regular testers would never find seemingly.

But they don't need this that's what consumers and patches are for nowadays sadly.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I think being a community manager would be cool.
Being able to try to address people's concerns and pass it along.
When fans feels and you're able to play a silent in acting on it, it probably feels satisfying.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Project management on game development teams, yes. Occasionally program management for certain engagements. Once upon a time localization.

I think being a community manager would be cool.
Being able to try to address people's concerns and pass it along.
When fans feels and you're able to play a silent in acting on it, it probably feels satisfying.

One of the most underpaid and under appreciated roles in an already underpaid and under appreciative industries.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't want to work on games directly but I'd love to do in studio video series, trailers, graphic design and such. It's probably the closest I'd want to be to a game in terms of having an involvement in it. (A side note: I am a video editor and animator in my day to day life)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Not as a developer no, they don't make the money I'm looking for. On the business side of things yes. It's all about the money at the end of the day. I'm a corporate man. Corporate Activison or EA would be the dream if I was forced.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been writing about games for around 3 years now and I enjoy it. I don't think I'd want to actually get into making them but doing something like PR or Marketing would probably be fun and something I'd enjoy.

Last edited: