• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you know TMBG?

• I'm legit in the fan club.

Votes: 93 26.9%
  • Bro I loved Flood!

Votes: 100 28.9%
  • They wrote those songs from Tiny Toons, right?

Votes: 67 19.4%
  • They made the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song.

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • One time I looked up "lazy boyfriend" on spotify and here we are now.

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • I don't know them.

Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 42 12.1%

• Total voters

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
First heard them on Tiny Toons way back when. Somehow, one day in the mid-2000's, I picked up a strange looking CD in a Best Buy and was delighted to see some familiar tracks on the back. It was an extra strange moment because I burned 10x more CDs than I ever bought, and I'm not really sure why I was even in that department to begin with.

For the next ~10+ years, A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants was by far the most played disc in my car's CD player.

TheyMightBeGiants-AUsersGuide.jpg

1. Minimum Wage
  2. Meet James Ensor
  3. Particle Man
  4. Don't Let's Start
  5. She's an Angel
  6. Cyclops Rock
  7. Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
  8. Purple Toupee
  9. James K. Polk
  10. Birdhouse in Your Soul
  11. Ana Ng
  12. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)
  13. Bangs
  14. The Statue Got Me High
  15. New York City
  16. Doctor Worm
  17. Boss of Me
  18. Your Racist Friend
  19. Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas
  20. They'll Need a Crane
  21. I Palindrome I
  22. Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head
  23. John Lee Supertaster
  24. Olde
  25. We're the Replacements
  26. Dr. Evil
  27. No!
  28. Clap Your Hands
  29. Spider

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I used to call the Dial a Song number long distance back in the 80s. My parents were not amused by the phone bill incurred to listen to songs off a janky answering machine.

I think Apollo 18 was the first music CD I actually bought, it was all cassette tapes up until that point.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've only heard Superposition from them, which is a legit chill song for me when I'm in the car on a nice day.

EDIT: That's Young The Giant. Nvm! I'll let this post stand in shame.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need multiple poll options, because I legit loved Flood AND I was blown away when I realized they did the music for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because of this thread I put TMBG on shuffle on Spotify and my son lost his mind when Hot Dog! came on.
Hot Dog is a pretty catchy song. I wonder if they also did the remix for the latest season of Roadster Racers.
(I have a three year old. We watch a LOT of Mickey Mouse.)

EDIT: They did! "Hot Dog! Dance Break 2019 Written and Performed by They Might Be Giants."

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Been a big fan for a long long time since the late 80s early 90s. Recently joined the fan club just to support them a bit in these hard times. These guys have consistently put on some of the most fun shows I've been to in my life. Incredibly catchy hooks layered over shockingly complex music with exceedingly clever lyrics, what's not to love? Easily one of the most if not the most underrated band of my generation and probably a few other generations too.

I had tickets to one of their Flood shows that was postponed due to covid, here's hoping we can attend concerts again next year :(

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My brother, sister, and I bust out Fingertips all the time

Looking through the thread I don't see anyone talking about Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head. It and Don't Let's Start are probably the first songs I memorized as a kid.

This was my gateway. I was a devout watcher of MTV's alternative show, 120 Minutes. They aired this. My girlfriend, my friend, and I all just looked at each other like "what did we just see? That was great!" Friend went out and bought Pink the next day.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can't be silent, cos they might be Giants, and what are we going to do unless they are?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I actually saw them in concert last year in Sydney of all places and it was so good. The 90s-00s era concert too which is my exact wheelhouse

Banjo Tango

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Have had "When will you die?" in my head for the past four years or so... no reason.

As far as least favorite, Spider is not great... but my most skipped is probably "You'll Miss Me".

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
They were my favorite band for many years. I'll admit I've been a bit disappointed in their output from Join Us forward. They still put out one or two bangers per album but there was a time where even their discarded demo tracks were amazing to me and that's really not the case anymore.