• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you know TMBG?

• I'm legit in the fan club.

Votes: 93 26.9%
  • Bro I loved Flood!

Votes: 100 28.9%
  • They wrote those songs from Tiny Toons, right?

Votes: 67 19.4%
  • They made the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song.

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • One time I looked up "lazy boyfriend" on spotify and here we are now.

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • I don't know them.

Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 42 12.1%

• Total voters

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I know them very well, but I'm not really a fan (so, other). Good band, I think of them like a less version version of... like... Toad the Wet Sprocket, a really specific sound from the 90s with some great catchy hits, but it's hard to go back to them.

But I *did not* know that they made the Mickey Mouse clubhouse song... Like, the new Mickey Mouse clubhouse that's on Disney Jr or an older version? Oh wow, the new one. As someone who suffers through at least one episode of Mickey Mouse clubhouse each day, I'm ..... actually less a fan than I was before learning this.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I saw them live a few times and it was fun and cute and very dorky.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
I 've met them and listened to their music since the late 80's but I wouldn't say I know them.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know their music but they sing the theme song for a podcast that I listen to called the Daily Beans.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Saw them live several years ago. That crowd (while mostly white) was pretty dang diverse! Kids, elderly, college aged folk.

They're a very special band that I breakout every now and again. Because when I listen to TMBG, I end up listening to every album again.

And come on, has Your Racist Friend every felt more of the time? It always felt like a bit of an outlier in their catalogue but I'm so glad they wrote it.

Yeah. I've seen them at the same venue with over 1200 people in the late three years and I'm always surprised that like 30% of the audience is middle age and older but there are tons of people who look like teens to early twenties. And yeah it's pretty much all white though I'm Indian.

Racist Friend felt like an outlier to me just because of how straightforward it was. They've several songs about social issues but that one was extremely direct.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh, I don't know. You must be thinking of some other band."

Already subbed for next year's Instant Fan Club!

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I flew to New York to see them on my birthday this year (well, them and David Byrne) and I catch them whenever they're in So Cal.

So yeah, they're all right.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I had a friend who loved them in high school, (still does 20 years later), but I could just never get into it. I don't dislike their music in any way, but I just feel like maybe at a certain point in the 90's if you wanted to get into some weird, "lo-fi" a-typical "alternative" music that didn't fit at all into the whole grunge, or punk scenes at the time, you kind of gravitated towards TMBG or Ween, and I chose Ween. But like I say, I don't dislike TMBG. It's just never clicked with me.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Seen them twice live, have watched a couple of their streamed live shows the past couple years, and man can they still rock a place to rubble.

Obligatory Dr. Worm shoutout!

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
I haven't listened to them in decades. Maybe I'll check out a recent album if they are still around.

edit: LOL Welp, I guess I've been listening to them for years because I have young nephews and have heard that damn Hot Dog! song millions of times. I am shook.

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not think of a carnival I worked as a volunteer with friends in HS while playing flood, particularly Minimum Wage over and over and over again.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I fucking love TMBG and I've only been able to see them once. It was here in Indy at The Vogue in Feb 2018.

7jwZ3w6.jpg

The sound setup was trash and ruined the show. I was devastated. I was introduced to them by my friend's older brother in the early 90s and have loved them ever since.

If you like them, don't sleep on the Hello Radio album. I like a couple of the covers better than the original versions.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I was gonna make a The Impression That I Get reference but apparently that's Might Mighty Bosstones so.. I guess I'm familiar with TMBG only by name and the Istanbul song.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I had a phase where I listened to them a lot in high school, followed by forgetting about them until being reminded of the Istanbul song ever few years or so.

"I'm Impressed" from The Else was a jam back in the day though.

Oct 27, 2017
I was wandering around the mall record store one day in 2000 and they were setting up a small stage near the entrance so I just stuck around and eventually fucking TMBG showed up.

WhiskeyRose

Mar 8, 2020
They've been my favorite band since I bought one of their compilation albums back in 2006. I've seen them twice (both during the Join Us tour.) There are so many songs I know completely by heart. I waver between Lincoln and John Henry being my favorite albums, but I like all of them.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Had friends that were big fans in high school. I think they're just fine.

beanybody

Oct 29, 2017
Flood was one of the first CDs that I owned. I saw them on tour back in '09, I think? It was when Flood when Platinum, nearly 20 years later.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a fan ever since MTV aired "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" on 120 Minutes that one time.

First saw them live for Flood, at a tiny venue that had clearly been booked before it was clear that the album was a break-out hit. Crowd full of frat boys who knew only one or two songs, all jammed into too-small a space. Not good.

I've seen them more times than I can recall the number of since, most recently for one of the very last shows before lockdown in early March.

I'm a member of only 5 real discords and one of them is a TMBG discord.

And yes, legit member of the fan club. My wife and I also indoctrinated my son (he was born around the time of Here Come the ABCs) and now that he's a teen he is also a mega fan. Knows their music better than I do, even.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been dragged to a few concerts against my will over the years, but the only concert I've voluntarily gone to was a TMBG concert. I've been a fan since the mid-90s.