• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you guys post in the gaming section?

• Yes

Votes: 521 67.8%
  • No

Votes: 247 32.2%

• Total voters

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people act like the Gaming Section posters aren't the exact same people who post in Off Topic? Y'all are the same and wanna pretend you aren't. It's not like there's some kind of great wall separating the two boards. People just like pretending they're better than another group for no real reason. Then site anecdotal evidence to condemn an entire group of people.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Just like Etcetera the good discourse and communities are in the Hangouts section.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I read gaming more but I don't post much b/c other people are more knowledgeable than me so I just chime in when I've some opinions on a game I've played or some excitement about an announcement

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. For the most part i just lurk. Although the more i game in real life like in today's shelter in place environment, the less compelled i am to post on gaming topics.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Why do people act like the Gaming Section posters aren't the exact same people who post in Off Topic? Y'all are the same and wanna pretend you aren't. It's not like there's some kind of great wall separating the two boards. People just like pretending they're better than another group for no real reason. Then site anecdotal evidence to condemn an entire group of people.

you're welcome; it was insightful when's part 2

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Some of y'all calling Gaming side a shit show is pretty rich lol

I post mostly on EtcEra for TV and movie stuff but sometimes I can't help but dip into poli threads.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I post about the same amount on both sides of the board, but I'm not one of the particularly prolific posters that anybody recognizes or pays attention to.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great source of information, and I very much appreciate the fact that it's there as gaming news and reference when I want to buy things. But honestly once you realize how worthless the console wars are, you also realize that there's no value in 95%+ of the personal arguments.

People arguing about pixels and IP wars and assholes who stream; lots of drama that hasn't been consequential to actually playing games in years.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I came here for gaming and still game frequently, but as I've gotten older my hobbies and free time have changed. When I used to game a few hours, I now need to do yard work, cook, cut trees, whatever else. I am lucky if we do a few hours a week of gaming. A lot of times I just want to veg out to tv after work because it's easier lol. I do post there sometimes though.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have more posts on the gaming side but I think it's mostly for game OTs.
Game OTs are where it's at, and the majority of my posting as well. The dedicated communities I engage with are incredible, and the reason I migrated from GAF. Souls community, Metroid community, Survival horror and indies, mods mods mods mods mods and emulation, I can't get that anywhere else.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I mostly post on the gaming side, but shit gets extremely real over here, to the point where there's not an ounce of good news sometimes. And that's not a bad thing, because there's a lot of turmoil and bullshit in our world right now and it all deserves discussion ... but that's why I prefer to pop in from time to time rather than spending too much time on this side.

And then Weekend Era happens and it's bananas ... lol

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018

Because the people are different in my experience. You have to remember that Era was created because of the fallout of OT at GAF.

OT and Gaming Section on GAF were politically different - with OT leaning liberal, and Gaming Section leaning conservative.

I would bet it's the same here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Off-topic covers literally everything else in the world except games. Of course there's going to be more to talk about here.

Oct 25, 2017
i've been clicking "ignore thread" a lot on gaming side lately.

we're a pretty mature forum, as far as forums go [and especially gaming forums] - hence why i'm here.

still lots of blind fanboy-ism though which depresses me.

i only feel safe really engaging in sections where bias is at its lowest, and that's etc side.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
At least in OT I don't have to constantly hear about how Sony is changing videogames forever with the SSD.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

They have demonstrably different cultures and things that would be immediately called out in off topic take way too long to be so much as noticed in gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough, I'm in the reverse. I'm much more interested in discovering romhacks nowadays than reading people argue about politics they won't change or whatever Disney is selling, I don't read comic books, watch sports, or like Star Wars or scatological discussions. Also, talking about politics online is so futile I can only laugh at the absurdity, you people drive yourselves craaaaaazy talking about the same shit over and over and over and over and over
We'll, I don't engage in political discussions either. I'm mostly into movie and music discussions. That's where you'll usually find me.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Like a lot of folks, I went to the old site for gaming and stayed for the off-topic section. After we transitioned to here, it was easy to just stick in off-topic.

I like reading the gaming side; I just don't post there often.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Occasionally but only for the games I play - which while I put a fair amount of time into them (...well, pre-COVID) are few in number.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As much as I think gaming side gets a lot more flak than it deserves, now's the worst time to be posting there with new consoles coming out and the fanboys out in full force.

Oct 26, 2017
I peek in there sometimes and see some of the console warring that goes on, and it turns me right off.

I deal with enough factions that have meaningful consequences in day-to-day life. I don't need to watch people pretend that video games are important shit. It's bad enough we have Phone Warz on this side.

What's worse is I used to partake in that shit back in the PS3/360 days.🤦🏻‍♂️

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I do but only about 10% of the time according to my post areas. My husband on the other hand posts in the gaming section most of the time.

For the most part I like to play games but don't really have much to post about them.

Epitome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't post a lot on either, but I definitely spend more time these days perusing this board. Promotional media/discussion/hype for games just does little to nothing for me as I get older. The only thread I really follow closely is the one regarding rumors of a new Silent Hill.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there is a 10+ age difference between the two forums.

Like take this thread for example about 3 games for a year. I'm not a 19 year old stuck in a basement with 3 games for a year. I'm the parent in this scenario.

I say this cause it's more than just the big things. It's the little differences in threads that I notice.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy community threads more than general. I'll just peek into gaming side but won't usually post.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really go to the gaming side anymore because I'm not much of a gamer. Pretty much the only game I play is Call of Duty and I ran out of thing to say about it on a message board a decade ago.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
gaming died when Squared applied a vaseline smear filter on the gorgeous backgrounds of PS1 Final Fantasies

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Just going by the raw numbers there's slightly more activity on the gaming side; also I recognize many users posting on both the gaming and off-topic discussions

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I'm 34.. most video games are super boring and dull. The only AAA game I've enjoyed playing alone has been FFVII Remake and the Resident Evil Remakes. Every other new AAA game is...just the same shit. I like small short indie games i can play on my switch on planes..but i just don't get excited about gaming news anymore. My young soul is gone. I'm a crotchety old man now.