• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
YES lol

I remember watching it again on YouTube ages ago for a nostalgia hit - at least 10 years ago, the company was still selling it to schools so I thought there would be no way to watch it again. lol

I watched some years ago, I did a double take when one of the cast members seemed familiar.

bqaESAD.jpg

But did you watch the second one also?

There was a second one?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I watched some years ago, I did a double take when one of the cast members seemed familiar.

bqaESAD.jpg

There was a second one?

The man who would grow up to be da bomb in Phantoms yo.

And yeah there was a sequel:

But did you watch the second one also?
But nope... we never got it in school so I don't have any nostalgia for it. I only found out about it while trying to look for the first one, but never actually thought to watch it. lol

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Pokaroo is 0 on the original Pokedex because he was the prototype.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
lol was it good?
Or whatever "good" even means with 80s education shows.
(or at least the theme song lol)
I haven't watched it since I was a kid. My school did the two seasons in the 5th and 6th grade IIRC. I remember doing a big project on the second one with a Mayan calendar.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched it since I was a kid. My school did the two seasons in the 5th and 6th grade IIRC. I remember doing a big project on the second one with a Mayan calendar.
Haha fair.
I just decided to pop on the first one again and it's pretty rough, but that theme song is like activating neurons in my brain. It's like a part of me. lol

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I watched soooooo much YTV as a kid! Well, after school/Saturday mornings had other stations with kids shows on it. Canadian shows were great!

Mr. Dressup > Mr. Rogers. I just didn't really watch him much... Found out that Mr. Dressup with an understudy of his though, so it makes sense! Fred Penner was pretty good too.

Anybody remember the Grogs on YTV? Thete's clips online where some kinda... did some rated-PG improv. PJ Fresh Phil was the best. Def sold me on some toys. Passionate guy and seemed cool in real life from a viddo when some fans met him at a con.

...I watched a lot of tv as a kid.

EasyMode

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Anybody remember the Grogs on YTV? Thete's clips online where some kinda... did some rated-PG improv. PJ Fresh Phil was the best. Def sold me on some toys. Passionate guy and seemed cool in real life from a viddo when some fans met him at a con.

I forgot all about them til you mentioned them:

2015220-pjs-90sbyku2.jpg

I remember the PJs though, especially Phil since I'd always watch The Zone after school. Good times.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I don't remember Tell a Tale Town. Maybe I was a little too old (at... 9).

I remember all of the asstastic Lois Walker shows.

Here's another one and it's insidious opening theme song which still haunts my dreams...

I do remember this shit though. I also remember seeing a lot of Under the Umbrella Tree, with my little sister:

www.youtube.com

Under The Umbrella Tree Intro

Official website: http://www.shopundertheumbrellatree.com This video is the intro for the popular children's TV show, Under the Umbrella Tree. It was seen on...

Apr 24, 2018
Oh I remember the intro. The channel got changed as soon as I saw this shit come on.

Log drivers waltz is a banger tho.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the PJs though, especially Phil since I'd always watch The Zone after school. Good times.

Daily Hive | Torontoist

The Torontoist was sold to Daily Hive

Krista Jackson: I remember being tired. I remember that you'd do a morning and then you'd have the afternoon off, or you'd do the afternoon and have the morning off, but sometimes you'd come home and say, "I have to take a 20-minute lie-down," because of the adrenaline of it. You have to be "on." Then you stop being on, and then you have to be "on" again.

Phil Guerrero: You would never see that anymore, not on broadcast television: just some guys going out there. Everything feels presented, or you're being sold something, like a commercial, you know what I mean? Back when we did it, sometimes we were just talking for four minutes. A lot of times I didn't know what I was going to say. I've told the story all the time: we'd be on a hard count of, like, "Six…five…four…" and I'd say to Snit, "What do you want to talk about?" and "Okay, we're back!" and we'd just go. That's a lot of talking in front of the camera if you think about what I did: Monday to Friday for 10 years, every day.

Paul McGuire: Necessity is the mother of invention. It was a little easier when we were live every day—though as budgets get shrunk, sometimes it's easier to pre-tape stuff, and we had to do more and more of that as the years went by. If you're live every day, there are things happening in the world—things you can call on. "Hey, the Academy Awards were on last night…"
Phil Guerrero: I had a near-perfect record. If I blundered some words, who cares? I was never that kind of host, if you noticed. But I think it was the year before I left, right near the end, I said "shit" live. I had to talk about some Winnipeg kids festival or something like that. I don't know why I said it. I was like, "You might want to go over there, there'll probably be a lot of cool shit over there. OKAY, and next…" I knew I said it, but the TV in me just kept going, but my brain was going, "HOLY crap, you said 'shit'."

Funny enough, we only got one complaint to the station, and I didn't get fired, because what are you going to do? I went to my boss and I had to tell her: "I don't know what happened! I don't know why I said it!" It took, like, eight, nine years for it to happen*—that's why I wasn't in trouble.
Paul McGuire: We were doing a segment for Groundhog Day once. Obviously there are two common results: Wiarton Willie sees his shadow, or Wiarton Willie doesn't see his shadow. So I thought I was being Super Producer, very organized guy, when I shot two versions. I set it up with everybody in operations: "Here's Tape A, here's Tape B, pay attention to what happens on this day, and then insert." The one we didn't shoot, which we should have shot, was what we would talk about if Wiarton Willie died. They had to play one of the tapes or else there'd be dead air, so they put in "Wiarton Willie didn't see his shadow," and these kids are calling in…"Paul and Phil, you idiots! The groundhog's dead!"
Phil Guerrero: When people talk to me, I stop. It's a responsibility. You have to. You don't get into a club for free and not wait in line for nothing: you have a responsibility if people recognize you. You have to stop and be nice.
Atul N. Rao: We had a ton of fan mail. We got boxes and boxes and boxes of fan mail. We would try to answer them as best we could. Then the Internet came in and we started to get emails. Very few kids had email, but still we got hundreds of those every day.

Whenever I'd hang out with Phil, we couldn't walk down the street without people yelling, "Phil! Phil! Phil!" And Phil would point to me: "That's Snit, by the way!"
Paul McGuire: Most of the time, 90 per cent of the time, kids were amazing, and parents were amazing too. Parents would come up and say, "Thank you so much," all that stuff. But I remember one time, Phil and I were walking into African Lion Safari, we were walking towards the entrance, and there was a bus full of kids for a school trip, and they saw us. The two of us walking together was a bit of a heat score. Phil by himself gets recognized far more than I do, but when we're together, it heats up a little bit.

But we were walking towards the entrance of African Lion Safari and some kid hanging out the window: "Hey! Are you guys Paul and Phil?" I was like, "Yeah!" "You fuckin' SUCK!" And at that point I was like, "Ah, ha ha, okay! Yeah, you got me!" and we kept walking, and Phil just started laughing his head off at me—like it was just me he was talking to. And then, of course, the guy turns around and high-fives everyone on the bus: "I just told Paul and Phil that they fuckin' suck!"

Most of the time, like I said, people were very nice, but there was a while when you'd kinda keep your head down a bit. If we'd go shoot something at the CNE, we might attract a little bit of a crowd, but the thing is, if there are kids by themselves at the CNE, chances are they're a little older. I was a skinny little weak, freckle-faced kid growing up—I was kind of used to being—not bullied, but a little bit picked-on. There's something that just takes you back to the womb a little bit: "You fuckin' suck!" "Oh yeah, that's right, I do suck!"
Phil Guerrero: Today, I went to a Portuguese bakery—first time, never been there, got a sandwich with a buddy—and the owner freaked out. One guy noticed me—"Oh God! You're the guy!"—went to the back, then the owner came out, and he gave me six free Portuguese tarts. "Give him six tarts on the house!" I'm like, "No, no, no, that's okay." He's like, "No! You're my childhood!"

And it's funny, I'm walking away with these tarts, and I'm like, "Why do I get tarts?"

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I will see your Mr. Dressup, and raise you the Friendly Giant (First aired September 1958 and ran until March 1985! 3000+ episodes!)

How is Hilarious House of Frightenstein not on the first page... Vincent fucking Price baby!

How about the cheese of SCI-FI... The Starlost

For you old stock Canadians, and maybe even some Australian friends will know this because the show was a hit there... we have The Forest Rangers

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Daily Hive | Torontoist

The Torontoist was sold to Daily Hive

Will bookmark for later. Snippits were a fun read. "Why did I get all these tarts?" Cause you entertained tons of 90's kids, Phil. I only knew what The Crow was because he was a huge fan thst talked about it non-stop. The energy they had, I'm surprised some did it for as long as thry fid.

I will see your Mr. Dressup, and raise you the Friendly Giant (First aired September 1958 and ran until March 1985! 3000+ episodes!)

I've seen black and white screenshots of Friendly Giant, but I had no idea they kept airing re-runs for almost 10 years after it ended! I remember watching it when I was really little in the 90s.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
in america we got a show called "Oh, Canada" and it showed me some of the most fucked up shorts i could ever learn as a youth

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Seems to me a lot of y'all should check out this YT channel that is legally uploading a bunch of Canadian shows, including ones mentioned in this thread.

www.youtube.com

Encore +

Stream your favourite classic Canadian films and TV shows for free. Encore+ features hundreds of iconic and award-winning titles, restored, digitized and you...

Canada Media Fund - Encore+

The Canada Media Fund (CMF) fosters, develops, finances and promotes the production of Canadian content and applications for all audiovisual media platforms.
Oh shit, this channel has Ready or Not

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember watching a cartoon that featured a giant that was eternally sleeping and someone venturing into his area to talk to him or wake him up. This would be Sunday afternoons around the time of Raccoons and Odyssey. I don't think this was The Friendly Giant? Can anyone remember this?

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Mr. Dressup and The Raccoons were my favorites. There was also this show on (I think) YTV where kids would compete for prizes. I specifically remember one game where the teams would have to guide a ball on top of two poles, while hold them above their heads. There was also Kidstreet:

Also, do you guys remember Babar. I think it came on or near The Raccoons. I remember liking that one quite a bit..

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
^^ PJ Phil and PJ Paul were the best, loved the Zone.

Anyone else remember PJ Katie's Farm?

HNIC Intro

I miss this show. Somehow it feels like it's been gone for 12 years.

You know what, Fuck TSN for what they did.

God you and me both, I loved both Mimis.. lol.. I rewatched the first one a few years back, it holds up pretty well.

Here's my contribution:

The full version is still good.

Remember Rick the Temp?

I feel like we're going down a CityTV/Much/YTV nostalgia trip...

^^ Tarzan Dan had the original "Vine Videos"

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Someone already posted OWL/TV and The Edison Twins (two of the catchiest theme songs ever) so uh I guess I'll post this:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, Fuck TSN for what they did.
It should probably more accurately be "Fuck the CBC and fuck Stephen Harper."

The CBC had an unbreakable lifetime contract to use the song for peanuts, but they were still dicks about it, refusing to credit the composer, Dolores Claman, for her work.

Then Stephen Harper got elected, and he hates the CBC (because reality has a liberal bias), so he ordered them to cut costs and find ways to save money.

The geniuses in charge of CBC thought that this was the perfect time to solve their problem of Dolores constantly asking to have her name in the credits, so they offered to buy the entire song, outright, for a fraction of what it was worth (because this would shut off the slow drip of royalty payments).

Dolores balked at the offer, and the CBC told her that her song was worthless. They said that some kid with a guitar could make a better song than hers, and they would sell it outright to the CBC for a $1000.

Then TSN heard that the song was for sale, so they put in a multi-million dollar offer, and Dolores said "Fuck the CBC" and grabbed TSN's offer with both hands.

Then CBC announced "Good news everyone, we have lost the theme song to Hockey Night in Canada" and everyone in Canada collectively said "WTF?" and CBC said "Oh, we seem to have fucked something up."

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the right thread to ask: Does anyone else remember this SUPER low budget show set on a train? The only things I remember about it were an episode about some people talking to a depressed clown and a bit of the theme song: "Na na na na na na na na, Na na na na na na train."

I wanna say it was called Train 48, but I don't think it aired too widely around Canada, so I don't know where else it aired.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This seems like the right thread to ask: Does anyone else remember this SUPER low budget show set on a train? The only things I remember about it were an episode about some people talking to a depressed clown and a bit of the theme song: "Na na na na na na na na, Na na na na na na train."

I wanna say it was called Train 48, but I don't think it aired too widely around Canada, so I don't know where else it aired.
I think Train 48 was a real show and one of the actors used to be my co-worker.