• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Wife and I always take our shoes off in our place. In laws? Always keep their shoes on. So damn annoying. Haha.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Some do, some don't. When a guest it's not uncommon to be allowed to wear your shoes. Allowed as in not-requested to take them off. It also depends on the flooring. Tile/Wood vs Carpeting. I've never been asked to take my shoes off when I'm a guest attending a party. As a kid, shoes on in the house growing up was perfectly fine. As an adult, I take them off and have my kids take their shoes off as well.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Slippers when you're too lazy to clean your house everyday to prevent your feet from turning black and you hop on clean sheets :) otherwise outside shoes are a no

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing grass, mud, dirt, public bathroom secretions, and other filth into your home is sick. Then you bring that shit into your bed.

Jan 11, 2018
If I'm in the basement I'll keep them on, (It's naturally colder down there and I have a bunch of instruments and guitar pedals that are easier to interact with with shoes on). Other than that, no it's uncomfortable and dirty.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot of people here do that, though I've noticed it a lot less in the city than in suburban areas. Probably because everyone knows how much crap we walk on all day here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Why wouldn't I? Seems weird not too only time I take off my shoes is if I'm going upstairs which is carpeted.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as an adult never raised to take my shoes off i instinctively started doing it once i had my own place. now whenever i unconscionably take shoes off at a relatives house they're like "the hell man? are you goddam chinese or something??"

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
This is a cultural thing that varies from place to place and circumstances usually dictate the preference, obviously... But I always love seeing how culturally ignorant some people are on here judging by all the disgusted answers.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This is a cultural thing that varies from place to place and circumstances usually dictate the preference, obviously... But I always love seeing how culturally ignorant some people are on here judging by all the disgusted answers.
It's not culturally ignorant to find wearing shoes in the house disgusting.

Dec 7, 2018
Why would I take my shoes off? It's not like I step on mud or shit when I'm out.

Granted that if I know I'm staying home for a while I won't be long before I get my slippers.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought this was just some movie thing but a mate of mine who lives in the States says that this is actually super common. Do you do this? Sounds fucking rank if I'm being honest. Buy a shoe rack or put on some slippers wtf.
The US is a huge country , actually any country is usually quite diverse but the US specifically is massive with lots of local cultural difference . You have one data point plus what you see in movies.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
What is it? Every other country just whispering shit on the playground?

Kid A: I heard Americans clap after a dentist visit!

Kid B: That's true, my uncle who works for America told me that!

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why would I take my shoes off? It's not like I step on mud or shit when I'm out.

Granted that if I know I'm staying home for a while I won't be long before I get my slippers.
I would hope most people would prefer the floors in their home to be cleaner than outside, regardless of no mud or shit.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It depends. If your shoes are dirty, take them off. If it's a hard floor it doesn't matter unless it's requested. No shoes on carpet. If your house is dirty, I'm wearing my shoes.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's rank is people's stinky ass feet walking around uncovered. I'm baffled that so much of the rest of the world lives like that.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
It's not culturally ignorant to find wearing shoes in the house disgusting.
It's ignorant because there's nothing disgusting about it at all... people wear shoes indoor in certain places because hardwood floors and carpets aren't that common. Other surfaces are not only much easier to clean (and much more more hygienic than carpets in general) but also make your feet constantly cold thus making it very umcomfortable. We mostly wear slippers when indoors, btw.
Thinking this is disgusting would be equivalent to me calling the UK and the US disgusting for bidets not being commonplace. Different ≠ bad.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
In Ireland mostly people wear their shoes indoors as well. We stayed for a week in Prague at the start of the month and we quickly got used to taking them off as soon as we came inside, as per the rules to the apartment. It makes a lot more sense to take them off.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's ignorant because there's nothing disgusting about it at all... people wear shoes indoor in certain places because hardwood floors and carpets aren't that common. Other surfaces are not only much easier to clean (and much more more hygienic than carpets in general) but also make your feet constantly cold thus making it very umcomfortable. We mostly wear slippers when indoors, btw.
Thinking this is disgusting would be equivalent to me calling the UK and the US disgusting for bidets not being commonplace. Different ≠ bad.
Nah, wearing shoes in your house is objectively disgusting. And it makes zero sense - shoes are specifically designed to protect your feet outside. There is no reason to wear them in the house.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gif related, it is an American

giphy.gif

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I don't go into any stores. Everyone wears their shoes in them. Vile and disgusting places.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you being purposely obtuse? You don't have to walk on visible dirt to get your shoes dirty.
No, are you? Because it's fucking nasty at our Christmas party when certain guests remove their shoes and everyone in the room has to smell their nasty ass feet. I legitimately can not fathom that some of you think that is a good thing. It's disgusting.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm asian american so yes my household demands shoes be taken off and I agree with it. I've seen folk who don't when I visit their households which I find disgusting and rude.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
In all honesty it depends on the culture of the household. In most Asian homes all footwear is left outside or by the door.

When I used to live in the mainland, people looked at me funny when I would ask them to take their shoes off before entering my house. In Hawaii, which is predominantly Asian, it's second nature to take off your footwear before going inside a home. Even contractors or delivery people do so.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Nah, wearing shoes in your house is objectively disgusting. And it makes zero sense - shoes are specifically designed to protect your feet outside. There is no reason to wear them in the house.
I just told you the reason in the very post you're replying to... Have you ever lived somewhere without carpets or hardwood floors? The reason is... it's VERY uncomfortable not to wear them. In your own words... "Are you being purposely obtuse?" Stop being idiotic, there's nothing objectively disgusting about it, it makes perfect sense... just like it makes perfect sense to not wear shoes indoors in a house with carpetting.

Also, having lived in the UK for a long time I can safely tell you certain areas are much more prone to dirtying up your shoes than others... it's no coincidence that southern europe is one of the places where people most commonly wear shoes indoors considering how much tamer the weather is here.

I'm asian american so yes my household demands shoes be taken off and I agree with it. I've seen folk who don't when I visit their households which I find disgusting and rude.
You find it rude that if households have customs that are different from your own? What in the hell is wrong with some of you? oO

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
What is it? Every other country just whispering shit on the playground?

Kid A: I heard Americans clap after a dentist visit!

Kid B: That's true, my uncle who works for America told me that!

Hollywood is American, and far too many series and films show Americans wearing their shoes inside the house. So in this case it's Americans making people think this is a common practice.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I just told you the reason in the very post you're replying to... Have you ever lived somewhere without carpets or hardwood floors? The reason is... it's VERY uncomfortable not to wear them. In your own words... "Are you being purposely obtuse?" Stop being idiotic, there's nothing objectively disgusting about it, it makes perfect sense... just like it makes perfect sense to not wear shoes indoors in a house with carpetting.

Also, having lived in the UK for a long time I can safely tell you certain areas are much more prone to dirtying up your shoes than others... it's no coincidence that southern europe is one of the places where people most commonly wear shoes indoors considering how much tamer the weather is here.
Do you have some kind of issue with your feet or something? There should be nothing uncomfortable about walking on wood or tile without shoes.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Do you have some kind of issue with your feet or something? There should be nothing uncomfortable about walking on wood or tile without shoes.
You're really going out of your way to not read what I'm telling you, aren't you? IT'S COLD. Like, very very cold. I've said this three times now, what are you not getting?

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
No, are you? Because it's fucking nasty at our Christmas party when certain guests remove their shoes and everyone in the room has to smell their nasty ass feet. I legitimately can not fathom that some of you think that is a good thing. It's disgusting.
Let me break it down for you - the surfaces you walk on outside or in public places for filthy. Some of us prefer our homes to be cleaner than a street or sidewalk.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
You're really going out of your way to not read what I'm telling you, aren't you? IT'S COLD. Like, very very cold. I've said this three times now, what are you not getting?
Bruh, you said it is "VERY uncomfortable" to walk on non-carpeted surfaces without shoes. That is literally what you wrote. If temperature is the issue, then wear socks or slippers.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have arc support sandals for around the house but usually socks or barefoot for me