• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take in packages for neighbours?

• Yes, obviously

Votes: 235 23.4%
  • No, wtf?

Votes: 769 76.6%

• Total voters

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
my neighbors take my packages in quite often...even though it's clearly not meant for them and fedex delivered it to the wrong place and they never tell me. Then I go on a scavenger hunt to try to find my package by knocking on all their doors, often NOT ever finding it and attempting to convince the company to send another. Fucking annoying.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
But if you've taken my package and I come home expecting to see it, only to see it's not there, how am I supposed to know you have it? Am I supposed to just sit around and wait until you decide to show up with it?

This sort of thing made more sense before the advent of modern online package tracking systems. When Amazon can tell me the exact moment my package arrives, I expect to see it there when I get home. If it's not there, I'm going to assume it was stolen.
The courier delivers a card with the address of the person they left it at.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Only when asked. Not gonna take your stuff without you knowing where it went the moment I see a delivery guy.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I always take in stuff for my neighbours. It never even occured to me that someone would have a problem with it. Americans really do fear each other, probably one of the reasons why people aren't receptive to universal healthcare, free higher education and gun laws. It all stems from fear.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I literally haven't spoken to any of my 3 neighbors on the same floor/building in at least the past 2 years, so it'd be kind of weird for them to handle my stuff or vice versa. I either pick up the package from the post office later, or I have a courier leave the package at the leasing office.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Black man wandering around doorsteps is not a good look

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I would never consider touching a package that doesn't belong to me. The only time I'd touch someone's stuff is if their mail ended up in my mailbox, and I went over to hand it to them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The postal service will leave a note saying it was left with a neighbour.

The courier delivers a card with the address of the person they left it at.

I have never heard of this in my life. If they attempt to deliver and no one is there, they will either take it back to the distribution facility (USPS) or just leave it on your doorstep (UPS, Fedex, etc.) which was what prompted OP's question in the first place. I assumed OP would then take it off my doorstep for safekeeping until I get home, except I don't know he has it.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

nGMrD.gif

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
But if you've taken my package and I come home expecting to see it, only to see it's not there, how am I supposed to know you have it? Am I supposed to just sit around and wait until you decide to show up with it?

This sort of thing made more sense before the advent of modern online package tracking systems. When Amazon can tell me the exact moment my package arrives, I expect to see it there when I get home. If it's not there, I'm going to assume it was stolen.

Here the postman leaves a note behind saying they left your package at neighbor.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Only time our neighbors get our packages for us is if we are on vacation. Otherwise the packages are just left around the house, unless I instruct otherwise on a shipment.

It's not strange to collect packages for a neighbor though. So yes, Americans do take them in in certain situations. It's not an alien idea.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
My upstairs neighbor has taken my packages thinking they're theirs. Does that count?

(They're extremely dumb.)

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that a much higher percentage of Americans don't really know their neighbors. When I lived in Japan I knew a lot of people who had lived in the same house for decades and knew their neighbors (who had also lived in the same homes for decades) quite well. That's less common in the US particularly outside of very rural settings (where it wouldn't make sense to bring in a package anyway as you wouldn't know that they had one).

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if I lived in an apartment complex it'd be common but packages are just left on my stoop, neighbors don't touch them and noones stolen any in the 3 years I've lived here. If a signature is needed for a delivery (pretty rare) the carrier just takes it back and leaves a note, I then have to pick it up or arrange to have it redelivered to a time when I'm home. I trust my neighbors but companies here usually won't let neighbors sign for something and I don't need them taking packages off my stoop so I've never asked or been asked.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I usually just have stuff delivered to work to avoid the hassle.

If I do have something delivered to my apartment, it gets left in the office and I have to pick it up while the property managers are in. In my previous building, they just got left in the lobby of the building. After a period of packages going missing, they got an amazon locker type system implemented.

I was pretty chill with one of my old neighbors and could probably trust her to take my packages in, though I never asked. But I don't know either of my current neighbors, so nah.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
We arent that neigborly anymore, i guess if you are super cool with them then sure. But other than that hell no.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

The post guy leaves a note and the name of the neighbors is visible in tracking

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the idea of just delivering it to a neighbor is kind of funny to me. "This is supposed to be going to John Doe, but you're vaguely near where he's supposed to be, so I guess it's your responsibility now!"

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I have mostly received and taken in packages living in London, where nobody knows their neighbours. Everyone still takes in packages for each other.
Just out of curiosity what is the purpose of taking in the package? Is the concern more a weather/exposure thing or someone snatching the package?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I have never heard of this in my life. If they attempt to deliver and no one is there, they will either take it back to the distribution facility (USPS) or just leave it on your doorstep (UPS, Fedex, etc.) which was what prompted OP's question in the first place. I assumed OP would then take it off my doorstep for safekeeping until I get home, except I don't know he has it.
Happens all the time here (UK) with Royal Mail and Amazon. I've probably had over 100 packages delivered this way over the last 5 years and had zero issues. I don't know my neighbours but everybody in the UK seems to just understand and respect this system.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lol hell no. it's not a usual thing because knowing your neighbors like that isn't a thing anymore.

but obviously if you're friendly with your neighbors and trust them it's a no-brainer

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
What is even the point though? They'll just leave it on the front door, which is easier for the person to pick it up. If it get stolen, who cares, they'll send you another one. If it needs a signature, it'll get sent back to the facility and get sent to the house later. I don't see any situation where a neighbor needs to be involved.

I thought British people hated interacting with or talking to strangers, I guess that was all a lie, huh?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I've lived in my apartment complex for two years and I don't know any of my neighbors.

Not that it matters, because we have an actual mail room and a package delivery room staff as well, but the odd package does get left inside the outer door to our building. I'd find it really weird if one of my neighbors took it to their place rather than leaving it there on the floor.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I...would not want that to be the default behavior of the delivery guy, no.

I have barely interacted with my neighbors and I don't know whether or not they're the kind of people I can trust with my stuff, a lot of which is video games or drum hardware.

Of my current neighbors, I have interacted with one of them twice, and that included
- being reported to the city by her (at least, I suspect it was her for reasons) such that I received a letter saying I needed to mow my yard or pay a fine.
- subsequently having her come over and introduce herself once while I was out in the yard with my parents.

If a friend is going to be out of town and wants me to pick up a package that was left at their door so that it's not just sitting there until they return, I'll happily do that, and I don't mind asking my friends to do the same. (Had to do that this past Christmas, actually.)
But I don't know my neighbors; my neighbors aren't my friends.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Really depends on your relationship with your neighbors. I was in the same condo for 14 years until recently and we had occasional package thefts, so people would frequently move packages out of the lobby to neighbor's front doors. People wouldn't take someone's package into their unit unless specifically requested to do so.

Now I live in a gated community out in the boonies, so package theft isn't really a big concern.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I trust my neighbors, and we do things like bring in the garbage cans for each other, but package delivery isn't something that would ever come up as a thing to do.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
American here. Don't touch my shit, I won't touch your shit. I'll touch my own shit, tyvm.

Edit: to add to this, now when I do get home I have to now track down my shit? Wonder who might be "holding" it? Fuck that hassle, it should either be at my door or with the postal service.

They post a card through your door letting you know where it was dropped off/signed for. Surprised at the poll results so far, it's a pretty normal thing to do?

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've known one of my neighbors all my life, so if he sees no one is home he'll pick up the package and text us to let us know.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happens all the time here (UK) with Royal Mail and Amazon. I've probably had over 100 packages delivered this way over the last 5 years and had zero issues. I don't know my neighbours but everybody in the UK seems to just understand and respect this system.

You guys are blowing my mind. So the postman just like, goes to a nearby house and is like "Your neighbor wasn't home, will you sign for her package?" and you take it? What happens if nobody is home there either? They just keep going door to door?

I assume this is one of those things we don't do in the US because we have a population that's five times the size of yours and we can't waste time like that or nothing would ever get delivered.

Jun 6, 2019

You wouldn't be doing it. The delivery person would knock at your door and hand you the parcel. You'd sign for it and the delivery driver would put a notice in the intended recipients mail, telling them you have the package. That's how it works over there. I don't think Europeans understand that packages are just left at your door here, unless you have to sign for it.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the idea of just delivering it to a neighbor is kind of funny to me. "This is supposed to be going to John Doe, but you're vaguely near where he's supposed to be, so I guess it's your responsibility now!"

How is leaving packages outside where every stranger can steal it any better?

The USA is really fucking strange sometimes.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from the UK hearing you guys in the US talk about packages just being left out in the open seems crazy. I work from home and take packages in for loads of people on my street, just seems like the courteous thing to do.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You guys are blowing my mind. So the postman just like, goes to a nearby house and is like "Your neighbor wasn't home, will you sign for her package?" and you take it? What happens if nobody is home there either? They just keep going door to door?

I assume this is one of those things we don't do in the US because we have a population that's five times the size of yours and we can't waste time like that or nothing would ever get delivered.
They'll usually try one neighbor and then take it to the post office for you to pick up

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's the US-Europe difference people aren't really understanding. Unlike the US, the delivery person attempting to leave the parcel with a neighbour is just one of the default options here in the UK.

They might try a couple of neighbours' doors, then just take it back to the depot or whatever. And yeah, higher population density and houses typically being much closer together means it doesn't really take much more time.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I know my neighbors yes, for sure.

But I have lived near whack-a-doodles in my life and it's most certainly sometimes a hard no. Canadian here.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. Then they'll return to your house and put a card in through the door with the address on. At my old family house the postman knew somebody was almost always home at our house so we became the designated "drop point" whenever somebody was out.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do they clap after delivering the goods to their owners? 🤔

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

Postman rings your doorbell.

If you're not home, they'll try a neighbor. If they find a neighbor willing to take the package, they'll leave a note in your mailbox saying where they left the package.

If there's nobody, they'll leave a note for you to pick it up at the nearest depot.

They will NEVER leave the package outside. That would be plain stupid.