• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you?

• I'm 'normal', no inverts for me

Votes: 205 49.3%
  • I'm an OG, Invert Y baby

Votes: 189 45.4%
  • I'm semi-weird, Invert X and Y

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • I'm weird, Invert X only

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I'm a semi-freak, Invert X, Y and Southpaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a super freak, Invert X and Southpaw

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I see the invert X option in control menu's all the time but do a lot of people really use it? I get Invert Y (use it myself) or Southpaw but switching the X axis just seems.....weird?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hardly can understand inverted Y for anything except planes of submarines, don't get me started with inverted X.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it could be useful to invert X for controllers designed with disabled gamers in mind where perhaps the controller could not be mounted in a way that allowed it to be oriented for left to mean left and right to mean right.

For instance if the controller needed to be mounted underneath a surface allowing for the analogue stick to be controlled with the thigh the directions would be reversed so you'd need to correct for that in the options.

like this thing:
ku-xlarge.jpg

note the analog stick on the bottom, it's meant to be operated with the thigh or rocked on a table for one handed operation due to missing an arm...

Last edited:

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
I used inverted X for years because the first game I played with camera control was FFXII on PS2, so that's how I learned how to move the camera. I believe that's "standard" in Japan, and their "inverted" is the western "normal"? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway I re-learned on PS3 and don't even remember the difference until I tried to go back and play XII again years later and realised I couldn't actually adjust the camera to "normal". I'm glad they included the ability to change it in The Zodiac Age.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a sizeable amount of 30 something year olds hailing from the early 2000s era gaming when inverted was more of a norm that still play today. It's definitely more niche now.

edit: OH, X axis....nah

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I invert Y on everything, Invert X depending on what the camera considers "X". And only for third-person games, not for first person.

For example, Wind Waker on GameCube is how I prefer the X-axis to rotate, so I will Invert X to match that if I have to.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I invert Y in pretty much all games except where there's a movable cursor on screen (like Panzer Dragoon, or like... Cities Skylines of course), but I only invert X in certain games. Mostly Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II (because I just got used to it in Black), and 3D Zelda games (I got used to it for Zelda games because I don't think you could turn it off for Twilight Princess for Gamecube so I just got used to it).

I just can't invert X in any first-person game, or game that makes you aim in first person and doesn't let you have those "separate."

The real crazies use legacy controls

legacysticks.jpg
I'm pretty sure this is the layout I liked to use back in like... Gamecube days because it mimicked how Goldeneye worked.
I couldn't work with this nowadays, of course.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I used to all the time, I hooked Twilight Princess on the Wii a while back and was SHOCKED the game had inverted controls, I did not remember it at all! AND THEY COULDNT BE CHANGED

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I always use inverted x and y. Don't know why, but it's just feel comfortable with me. And I hate games that don't have these options.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I operate a studio camera and my brain thinks I'm behind the camera. So if I want to move the camera right I would push the camera I'm behind to the left. That's how my brain processes it. Same for up and down.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
The real crazies use legacy controls

legacysticks.jpg
Those poor people need to be locked up. Also playing Halo that way seems like a nightmare. The true way to control halo is bumper jumper.

When I originally got the og Xbox I got halo CE and the first time I played through the game was with inverted controls mostly due to the fact the game outsmarted me and I kept those controls not realizing I could switch them back. Other than that I can't think of any other time I played inverted outside of a flight sim.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Where's the option for invert Y only when it's a flying game or part, normal for every other type of game?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Invert y for everything

It was normal back then and I prefer it

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of person inverts X axis? I only invert Y axis in fly sections,if it is a short section,I will probably keep the way it is.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Im normal NOW, in almost everything but I WILL invert Y on flying stuff.

For example I had a brain collapse when I went from Panzer Dragoon 1 to Zwei (they switched Y).

I will use inverted Y in Ace Combat, etc.

Looking back, in Ocarina of time when you aim is inverted as well, and it never bothered me.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
X and Y inverter here.

I hate it when the option's completely missing (obviously), but I hate it more when the option is only available for one and not the other. Like come on, just add the other axis.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I used to invert only X, but then I played Metroid Prime using the original GC controls and it somehow rewired my brain.

Icelight

Feb 18, 2018
X and Y inverter here.

I hate it when the option's completely missing (obviously), but I hate it more when the option is only available for one and not the other. Like come on, just add the other axis.
This is me.

I've been noticing just invert X is missing more and more often these days, and it makes games unplayable on a controller for me. I've tried to switch, but I just end up motion sick and frustrated.

It's not like it takes any more effect than an option for invert Y and yet...

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I have inverted X on certain third person games that aren't shooters. Like platformers, action/adventure games, etc. Sometimes it just felt better, not sure why (maybe it was inverted by default and called it normal? not sure).

Especially during the PS2/Xbox/GC era. Haven't done it recently that I can recall.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Only game I remember inverting X on was either Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando or Up Your Arsenal , can't remember which. I don't know why that one game I just had to use it (I didn't for the other R&C games) really weird.

Oct 27, 2017
The Y-axis is the only axis I'm willing to invert, depending on the controls of the game, for flight controls; I will invert it for airplanes and the like but will keep it at the default if it's something like human flight. Everything else is 'normal'

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't know whether I use inverted X or not. I definitely use inverted Y, but then X always feels wrong to me whether I keep it normal or inverted. Eventually I just pick one and get used to it, but then the next game I play, I'll forget which X setting I used and try both again.

So I guess I flip-flop on the X. I'm pretty sure I pick inverted X the majority of the time, though.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Invert Y only in flying games, really. Doesn't matter if it's first or third person. I used to be the type to have normal in FPS, inverted X/Y in third-person, but trained myself to use normal in any situation, mainly because I think it was Uncharted 2 that had different aiming controls depending on the weapon.

Third person = inverted X
First person view without being able to move the character = normal
First person with moving the character around playing with keyboard + mouse = normal
First person with moving the character around playing with controller* = inverted X

Never thought about it, never payed attantion. Sometimes it just felt "right" to me and sometimes not. It took me years to learn about all the inverted - not inverted battle and what is what.
I remember Mario Sunshine being one of the first games, where I had constant trouble with pushing the camera into the wrong direction. Beyond Good and Evil was the first I remember with settings to invert.

*usually I don't do this, tho.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't, but I also don't invert Y. They should both be options. It's not like it's particularly hard to implement.