• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do 343 management & Phil Spencer need to be pressed on Halo development issues by industry vets?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Karen's of videogames...

"lemme speak to your CEO!"

michael-nouri.gif

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You probably don't play the game that much if you think it's good.
Not the person you responded to, but I play the game almost every other day and I think it's good. I do realize, of course, that I'm probably the only person on the planet that feels that way. 😆 I'm a unicorn. One in a trillion.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
They could I guess, does it matter though? If there is something anything wrong the game's community will let them know (very loudly and annoyingly) and there will be Pressure already. Let journalists pressure them on working hours, harassment in studios, accountability for their shitty practices.
The fact is, with GAAS, people expect infinite content with infinite resources, infinite money, infinite working hours. Amazon ships on the same day because their workers pee on bottles and have every step counted. Go play another game.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
As an outsider I can't say I really understand any of the constant backlash this game gets. I don't like Halo, like at all, but I tried Infinite because I have a Series S and GP and thought what the hell…and the game is fine? It was a polished experience with incredible gunplay and mobility. I ended up really enjoying it.

People have insane expectations for Halo in particular. No other shooter, or really franchise in gaming, has to serve so many masters as Halo does. Perhaps only Pokémon comes close.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
What are you talking about? You really think #14 on XBL and sinking is good enough for Xbox's flagship? When does Infinite become a failure? When it drops out of the top 25? Top 50? It's coming if 343 doesn't start doing something.

How am I being toxic? The game sucks, flat out. I guess I could just go play other games and forget Halo ever existed or go play MCC and pretend like 343 ever existed?
Uhhh... Halo Infinite has been or just around the top 10 most popular games on Xbox since launch. Right now, 6 months after launch, it's still right there. And right now is also the lowest point the game will ever see - it is only uphill form here after Season 2 launches in 2 weeks, but moreso in the long run as content gets added.

If you're actually trying to spin the fact this game is still near the top 10 on Xbox as a negative when it is severely lacking content, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I see it as a major success, and a testament to how good the gameplay truly is.

Also - shout out to Sean W in the OP, great follow on Youtube :)

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
If anything, Microsoft already has shown an incredible ability to recover from a stale launch, just see Sea of Thieves. They will do fine.
Yeah, Sea of Thieves is a shining example of one of the biggest comeback stories in games. No Man's Sky and Rainbow Six Siege are right there too. No doubt Halo Infinite is probably going to try to match their success (I think it has an awesome chance, the game is just way too fun to play).

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schierer literally wrote an article a few days after Halo Infinite launch claiming that the game came back from "disaster to triumph". What his new article supposed to be titled? "How Halo Infinite went from disaster to triumph back to disaster"?
If that's what's going on, yes.
People have insane expectations for Halo in particular. No other shooter, or really franchise in gaming, has to serve so many masters as Halo does. Perhaps only Pokémon comes close.
343 nailed the base gameplay for the most part. They got the community to finally stop talking about sprint lol, that's no small feat.

The way to get close to pleasing everyone is for having the community features ready to go day one, like Forge, file share, customs browser, etc. Then have rotational playlists to test future modes and settings for a quicker turnaround for official implementation in other playlists.

They've teased us with this before but nothing ever came of it in past games.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game. I'll come back to it each time they add something I'm interested in. The toxic diehards do put me off from investing more time into it.

It's such a good game you already stopped playing? Nice.

Uhhh... Halo Infinite has been or just around the top 10 most popular games on Xbox since launch. Right now, 6 months after launch, it's still right there. And right now is also the lowest point the game will ever see - it is only uphill form here after Season 2 launches in 2 weeks, but moreso in the long run as content gets added.

If you're actually trying to spin the fact this game is still near the top 10 on Xbox as a negative when it is severely lacking content, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I see it as a major success, and a testament to how good the gameplay truly is.

I'm not spinning anything. Halo not being in the top 10 on XBL 4 months after launch is a failure. I'm confident 343 thinks this as well.

Gameplay is great imo. It's the lack of slayer in ranked that turned me away from it over the past few months.

So, it's not a good GAME and you stopped playing because it doesn't have a feature that has been in every halo game since ranked playlists were a thing?

Not the person you responded to, but I play the game almost every other day and I think it's good. I do realize, of course, that I'm probably the only person on the planet that feels that way. 😆 I'm a unicorn. One in a trillion.

Low standards I guess.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Firstly it's 15th in the US, lower in most other regions, and obviously is doing very poorly on Steam. That's not the top ten or even particularly close. As for your suggestion that it's only up from here... we'll see. It's just as possible that S2 will see a brief bump before the decline continues. And that's to say nothing of what will happen when a new multiplayer game launches to take attention from it.

I think your expectations are low.

1. Multiplayer is F2P
2. Single player is on Game Pass
3. Released simultaneously on Xbox One, Xbox Series and PC
4. Is the brand's flagship franchise
5. Took six years to develop

It should be massive.

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I think overall the game is good BUT I guess the only thing is why 343 feels the need for a custom engine for Halo?

Feel like that's what fucked up Infinite dev so bad and what's caused a lot of the content drought in the game right now. Feel like UE4 would of been more than fine enough for the game imo but I'm not a game dev so I'm currently speaking out my ass rn.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's not a good GAME and you stopped playing because it doesn't have a feature that has been in every halo game since ranked playlists were a thing?

Because it doesn't have a playlist I prefer to play does not make it a bad game. Or one that flat out sucks. What a weird assumption to make lmao. Only on the internet can you articulate yourself clearly and some weirdo will try to put words in your mouth.

Feb 21, 2022
Absolutely. It would be great if more gaming news outlets delved deeper into reporting game development and asked top level people some good questions. Too often it feels like these sites serve as little more than press release factories for game companies.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because it doesn't have a playlist I prefer to play does not make it a bad game. Or one that flat out sucks. What a weird assumption to make lmao. Only on the internet can you articulate yourself clearly and some weirdo will try to put words in your mouth.

The numbers speak for themselves. You can insult me all you want, but the numbers on steam and XBL prove the game is really bad and just flat out sucks. Keep stanning for a game you don't like tho.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I'm not spinning anything. Halo not being in the top 10 on XBL 4 months after launch is a failure. I'm confident 343 thinks this as well.
It launched 6 months ago my dude! Multiplayer hasn't seen new content in 6 months and the game still gets 50K-100K players on Xbox alone... yeah, game is far from a failure. Stop with the trolling man, you're absolutely wrong.
Firstly it's 15th in the US, lower in most other regions, and obviously is doing very poorly on Steam. That's not the top ten or even particularly close. As for your suggestion that it's only up from here... we'll see. It's just as possible that S2 will see a brief bump before the decline continues. And that's to say nothing of what will happen when a new multiplayer game launches to take attention from it.
The game was top 10 in USA mere days ago, just minutes ago when I checked it was 12th (that might be my region, Canada, but point stands!). Fact is game is still seeing huge numbers on the Xbox platform. Going off the numbers that Destiny 2 shared a few months ago, we can surmise Halo is seeing 50K-100K on Xbox daily. That's, quite frankly, pretty freakin' good considering it launched 6 months ago and hasn't seen any content since, not to mention it getting berated online. I remember CSGO only having around 30K players for 6 months after launch, and Apex struggling with content for a full year before it bounced back.

As for Season 2, I don't think it'll save the game, but it'll definitely give it a population boost. My point is that as more content is added over time, the game will keep seeing stronger numbers in population. Every special event during Season 1 saw boosts in player counts, new Seasons and bigger beats will bring much bigger numbers. When the Creative Assembly mode launches, as well as Forge and Campaign co-op, things will certainly get cooking. But being in the top 10 6 months after launch? I'm excited to see where Halo goes from here, considering again, this is the lowest point it will ever be at, and now we have proof that there is a stable community built-in.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The numbers speak for themselves. You can insult me all you want, but the numbers on steam and XBL prove the game is really bad and just flat out sucks. Keep stanning for a game you don't like tho.

I barely even post in the Halo thread anymore because I'm not actively playing it lmao. That doesn't mean I think it's bad. I wouldn't call you a weirdo if you weren't acting like a gatekeeping jackass in this thread, telling people if they "actually played the game" they'd come to the conclusion that it's bad.

But yes. Clearly I'm stanning because I don't think it "flat out sucks" for not having slayer 🙄

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Hm, I don't feel like this is even remotely true.
It is more true than not, people want:
A solid single player, split screen Co-op as well as 2-4 player online co-op, a robust Forage and Theater Mode, custom game browsers, firefight (Ai horde) mode, Solid Multiplayer with more of the previous legacy modes and maps, a Ranking system like the Halo 2-3 days and a lot more I am probably forgetting. Not to mention a Battle Royale mode and more GaSS content.

Its hard to think of another game franchise where fans demand anywhere close to the same amount of content.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Seriously, why are Halo fans like this.
Almost every Live Service game has started like this - I just think Halo fans aren't used to it. Frankly, it's not a great excuse for the lack of content, but it's also not cause for grave concern when the base game is so good and the campaign was received so well from critics and fans alike. Give this game time, it'll flourish. Of that, I'm 100% certain.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Jeff Gerstmann reaching out to 343 devs.

"Excuse me, I would like to apply pressure on you to explain to us why Halo is in the state it's in"

I mean seriously, what do fans want? The whole techbical explanation that they won't understand?

We have plenty of resources giving us all the context we need. Halo is tied to a lot of tech debt which make progress slower, and Infinite spent a while finding its identity. Most agree qhat they landed on is a great foundation. The tech debt needs to be worked on to be able to deliver content atop that foundation on a consistent basis.

Why is there tech debt? Because over time, previous devs may have built quick ahortcut solutions to fix short term problems at the expense of long term development viability. Why didn't they use the 6 years to start from scratch on a new engine? Because they were worried switching to Unreal, for example, would make it very hard to replicate the classic Halo feel, which they deemed the most important thing. Given how much people praise Infinite's gameplay, that seemed to have been the right move. Read Schreier's article, it's great.

Idk what more people want. Heads to roll? Accountability? Why is that? Who the hell are you to demand that?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
This is a 10 year long product. I don't think people get that content won't really hit its stride in terms or quality and quantity until year 3 or 4 like other popular live service titles.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I think their priority zero is a very big part of why it's 6 months between these two seasons, yes.

Do you not think so?

I think they're likely working their many contractors fairly hard and it's likely their permanent employees are being leaned on and stressed because of that. Which explains some of the exits from the studio over the last few months as well as the poor feedback from ex-contractors.

A poor structure only exacerbates bad working conditions. Rooting through this mess of an engine in its current state doesn't sound particularly enjoyable when these people are on the clock and some public statements line up with the fact that they're frustrated by it.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry demondance just saw the rest of your post.

This is fair but is directly related to MS' own hiring policies and so MS would have to be pressured in regards to that not 343. While I agree the policy is a concern, I wouldn't be so cynical as to assume it's a proof of concept for rotating staff. More so that it's just sloppy management and crappy policy. It's especially not conducive to development when you're using a custom engine that has accumulated a bunch of tech debt.

Yeah. They put out a very good day one product considering the difficulties of getting anything out of the door. The campaign (co-op being out side) is great. The gameplay and most of the maps that are in are the best the series has been in ages. This reads to me like developers who absolutely give a shit and work hard but are being held back.

But what I don't get is why the ongoing issues (years before launch, remember) apparently haven't triggered massive changes to the structure of the studio, given the IP they work on? Why doesn't MS see this as the impetus to heavily revamp the studio and it's reliance on contractors?

I can't come up with an answer for that. And in the absence of further reporting, the assumption I'm left with is that MS is fine with letting this play out regardless of how frustrating it is to try to make a game like this, or how much it harms the brand. It comes off like they're happy to wait around and see if 343 can figure this whole contract worker-heavy model out.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forums obsession with Halo Infinite's "failures" is exhausting. How many fucking threads do we need on this?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I play occasionally. I play more when they add events. I'll play season 2.

But seeing toxic whining like yours makes me not want to be part of the community.

That doesn't seem right. You gotta be playing it 24/7. No other game matters. Otherwise the game flat out sucks.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Pretty happy with the overall reaction in the thread: a resounding NO, and calls for patience. Most agree Halo is a fantastic game, has tons of room to grow, but has built an extremely solid foundation. Proud of ResetEra :)

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I wish Halo Infinite has shipped with more content and they had managed their post-launch flow better. But I still dip back in every week or so and have plenty fun. Looking forward to Season 2 and beyond.

In relation to your actual question about "industry vets"... Uhh... I feel this is a very bizarre premise for a thread. But you've attracted all the usual trolls who plague Halo threads so maybe that's the reaction you wanted?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
kirby_popcorn.png

Enjoying the FUNKNOWN thread.

On a more serious note I've heard the people responsible for Infinite's bare bones state are mostly gone and those left are working their hardest to right the ship and with the many departures I could see that being true. Would be interesting to hear from Phil on what happened.

Jan 6, 2022
This forums obsession with Halo Infinite's "failures" is exhausting. How many fucking threads do we need on this?
It does seem strange that there are all of these threads, right at the tail end of the content desert in season 1. I'm not smart enough to think about what that means or why that's happening, but whatever. I love the game and I will continue to play the game until I don't like playing it

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is a 10 year long product. I don't think people get that content won't really hit its stride in terms or quality and quantity until year 3 or 4 like other popular live service titles.
While I don't think a "10 year product" is a realistic goal, I also think that the same fucking thing will happen like it does every time a game releases with a slow / bumpy start and continues to deliver updates.

- Everybody is rightfully joyous about the post-release updates that bring the game up to the studio's original vision.
- Everybody forgets how the game initially released.
- Everybody treats the late-version of the game as the standard for the next release.
- Everybody is shocked when the next release isn't released to the same completeness standard as the recent rags-to-riches release.

Like, you know, people citing Halo: MCC and forgetting how *literally* broken it was at launch.

Or how somebody cited No Man's Sky to me as an example of how Halo Infinite should be from a features perspective.

I guess we all just forgot about the journeys to get there and highlight the destinations. Like clockwork. Every time. Every service game.

Status
Not open for further replies.