• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom just updated their Platinum Titles page , which includes all million selling releases, as of the end of the fiscal year's 4th quarter, which ended March 31st. DMC5 is at 2.1M sold, since its release on March 8.

Overall franchise sales are at 20M, up from 17M (numbers are rounded, so that 17M might actually have been close to 18M. It's impossible to know from the numbers alone), across 29 SKUs. It is only the fifth Capcom franchise to pass 20M, and the first one in a while. The others are RE, MH, SF and Mega Man.

With 2.1M in 23 days, that makes DMC5 the fastest selling entry in the series. DMC4 previously held the record with 2.3M done in 61 days. Capcom stated last week in their fiscal year presentations that DMC5 exceeded their expectations for the fiscal year, as did RE2.

For comparison, expectations and fiscal year 1 results for every DMC game:

DMC
- 1.5M (expectation)
- 2.0M (result)
- Release August 23, 2001 (146 days)

DMC2
- 1.6M (expectation)
- 1.4M (result)
- Released January 25, 2003 (66 days)

DMC3
- Expectations not publicized
- 1.1M (result)
- Released February 17, 2005 (43 days)

DMC4
- 1.9M (expectation; Adjusted from 1.8M > 1.9M)
- 2.32M (result)
- Release January 31, 2008 (61 days)

DmC
- 1.1M (expectation; Adjusted from 1.7M > 2M > 1.2M > 1.1M)
- 1.1M (result)
- Release January 15, 2013 (76 days)

DMC5
- Expectations not publicized
- 2.1M (result)
- Release March 8, 2019 (23 days)

Summary

FY Expectations

DMC1 - 1.5M
DMC2 - 1.6M
DMC3 - N/A
DMC4 - 1.9M < 1.8M
DmC - 1.1M < 1.2M < 2M < 1.7M
DMC5 - N/A

FY Results

DMC1 - 2M
DMC2 - 1.4M
DMC3 - 1.1M
DMC4 - 2.32M
DmC - 1.1M
DMC5 - 2.1M

Franchise totals based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions

Devil May Cry - 2.16M
Devil May Cry 2 - 1.7M
Devil May Cry 3 - 2.3M (DMC3 Dante's Awakening - 1.3M; DMC3 Special Edition - 1M)
Devil May Cry 4 - 3M
Devil May Cry HD Collection - 1.2M
DmC Devil May Cry - 2.4M
Devil May Cry 5 - 2.1M

Source

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

Thanks to Cyberpunk for his useful chart of fiscal year expectations and results compiled from all the available data.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Finally got round to finishing this yesterday and man, it's one hell of an introduction to the series.

It was a blast to play.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
What's a reasonable guess for what their expectations were? About 2M?

OP
OP
Sesha

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What's a reasonable guess for what their expectations were? About 2M?

Probably. They expected 2M for SFV, Dead Rising 4 and MvC:I, and 4M for the more flagship release RE7. But given the time span between releases and DmC's sales performance it's certainly possible the expectations were lower than that.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Sales wise the series has teally been consistent. Take put DMC2 and all the games are pretty great too. The lack of stupid spin off games (see Resident Evil) has been a plus as well.

It'll easily surpass DMC4.

19 years since DMC1 and still going. Lets hope Capcom doesn't announce DMC6 in like 2031 though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
DMC5 will likely have no issue passing 3 million. Either way, I'm glad to see the game doing well.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Sesha for the Kind words and I am glad that I helped

And Yea , I guess Capcom's Sales projection for DMCV is around between 1.5M - 2M , they expected new Titles last Fiscal year to do 7.4M , If RE2 at 4.2 and DMCV at 2.1 is over expectations , then it is safe to assume that both were around 4M for RE2 ( Same as RE7 forecast ) and 1.5-2M for DMCV

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I mean yeah its the best action game ever made, it would be a travesty if it was not rewarded. Thanks Itsuno and Capcom!

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's interesting though that there is like 5.3 million sales missing.

DMC4 Special Edition, DmC Definitive Edition, and HD collection on PS4/PC/XB would have to account for those missing 5.3 million

Also, DMC4 has been stuck at 3 million on these reports for like 78 years now. I guess the PC version and the Special Edition are considered separate because the game keeps on selling but the number isn't being updated from 3 million.

I think if you'd include PC sales DMC4 is more closer to 3.5 million.

Include the Special Edition and we're looking at closer to 4.4 million for DMC4

OP
OP
Sesha

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

DMC4 Special Edition, DmC Definitive Edition, and HD collection on PS4/PC/XB would have to account for those missing 5.3 million

Also, DMC4 has been stuck at 3 million on these reports for like 78 years now. I guess the PC version and the Special Edition are considered separate because the game keeps on selling but the number isn't being updated from 3 million.

I think if you'd include PC sales DMC4 is more closer to 3.5 million.

Include the Special Edition and we're looking at closer to 4.4 million for DMC4

DMC3's PC releases and 4's non-Steam PC release are unaccounted for. We know the old version of 3SE on Steam had about 200K sold thanks to SteamSpy before the accuracy went kaput. I'm pretty sure stuff like the 5th anniversary DMC 1-3 package release isn't counted as part of the numbers on Capcom's site either.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at those numbers.....we should be happy that DMC V even happened.
The total overall series numbers are quite great when you look at Capcom as a whole. This series barely has a small amount of entries and is still at 20 mil+. Go and look at Ace Attorney numbers along with other Capcom series sales, it will make sense why DMC is a bit of a priority in the grand scheme of things.

OP
OP
Sesha

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at those numbers.....we should be happy that DMC V even happened.

Capcom has only 40 titles that have sold 2M or more, and about 10 that have sold 5M or more. If they turned their noses up at numbers like the DMC games do, they wouldn't release any games at all outside of RE and Monster Hunter.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The total overall series numbers are quite great when you look at Capcom as a whole. This series barely has a small amount of entries and is still at 20 mil+. Go and look at Ace Attorney numbers along with other Capcom series sales, it will make sense why DMC is a bit of a priority in the grand scheme of things.
Ace Attorny are lower budget portable games, cant really compare them to current-gen console games.
Not saying that Capcom is crazy for doing something like DMC V, but the IP hasnt grown much in the last decade and the fact that they still delivered a product like DMC V that stayed true the original premise of the series without adding a bunch of modern BS to exploit customers is impressive.

I dont think there are many publishers that would release a title like DMC V in 2019.
Capcom has only 40 titles that have sold 2M or more, and about 10 that have sold 5M or more. If they turned their noses up at numbers like the DMC games do, they wouldn't release any games at all outside of RE and Monster Hunter.
DMC V is performing better than past games though - so they made the right call, just saying that you cant take a product like DMC V in 2019 for granted.

Oct 25, 2017

DmC Definitive Edition is mostly what the game sells on Consoles nowadays , so that is a Big number missing here , Vanilla DmC relies only now on the PC Version , I remember when the game was featured in a Humble Bundle it had a Huge bump in the Vanilla version equal to the number of Bundles bought so it confirms that Vanilla's DmC main drive is PC version

It is a shame tho that we wont ever likely see the sales of DMC1 ( or following potential ports ) on Switch because there is a slim chance that each title individually will reach 1M , A Collection would had way better chance to achieve it