• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Been really interested in playing Devil May Cry 5 recently but since I've never played the series I'd like to knock out the older entries first. I've heard nothing but bad things about the 2nd one though so should I just try and slog my way through it or just watch all the cut scenes on YouTube or something?

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Nope. You could watch the cutscenes if you want, for completionists sake, but nothing of relevvance happens. Totally possible to just play 1, 3 and 4 in a row and pretend 2 never happened.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
No, not even if you got it for free. Just skip it & head for DMC1, 3, & 4 if you want more DMC goodness. You'll thank us later.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
No. Don't even need to watch cutscenes too. The story is entirely inconsequential.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
No it's the rare case where a game is truly as terrible as its reputation suggests.

I wouldn't even bother watching the cutscenes if I were you.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
The game is pretty short. If you're able to stomach DMC1, then you should be able to stomach DMC2.
I wouldn't recommend the first two games to anyone though.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
No amount of youtube footage can replace the actual feeling of playing it thru to the end yourself. It's bad, but perfectly functional. It's also really short, so I don't see why not if you are curious.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
The game is pretty short. If you're able to stomach DMC1, then you should be able to stomach DMC2.

I know DMC1 is dated as hell, but man, nothing else in the series comes close to the atmosphere that DMC1 has. DMC3 was sorta there, but nothing even close since.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, every game is worth playing, but you should be ready to insist a lot and to feel kind of meh after a bit.

But playing games regardless of whether they're good or bad because of their historical value is always the best option when going through old games.

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
Look up cutscenes on Youtube, and maybe the helicopter boss fight or something if you're TRULY curious about how bad it is. No, skip it, it's 5~6 hours you're not getting back.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
DMC1's actually good, though. Sure, it's not at the level of DMC3 or 5, but it holds its own just fine.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a couple hours? Sure.

It's not a good game, but I appreciated the context it gave when I played through the series for the first time last year. You really understand *why* DMC3 was such a jump forward coming off of 2.

Last edited:
2b3a7e338a6c62e83541c704cebc7e89.jpg

May 10, 2018
As has been said, it's pretty short and also pretty easy as guns are overpowered in that game so if you have a couple of hours to spare why not?

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Only if you really want to have the experience of playing every game in the series. Otherwise it's a skip for sure.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Idk, I've tried it for 30 minutes a while ago and didn't hate it. If you go in expecting it to be awful you'll probably like it a little more.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Don't play it expecting a fun time in a traditional sense.
That said, if you're interested in interesting bad games, DMC2 is one of the better ones out there. the game has some GREAT ideas that it then proceeds to do nothing/poor things with. I really enjoyed playing it personally (both campaigns!), even if I never want to play the game again.

Last edited:

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
I thought it was a decent game. It's not great but it's not bad at all. Try it and form your own opinion

Dec 14, 2017
Yes, it's worth playing to understand the entire growth/development of the series. Both Dante and Lucia campaigns are short too and it's not absolutely dull the whole time, there are a few interesting parts.

Oct 31, 2017
Been really interested in playing Devil May Cry 5 recently but since I've never played the series I'd like to knock out the older entries first. I've heard nothing but bad things about the 2nd one though so should I just try and slog my way through it or just watch all the cut scenes on YouTube or something?

Play it only if you're very, very curious.

The best things about it are Dante's design and his DT form. That's pretty much it.

GrappleMania

Oct 25, 2017
I played for the first time with the HD collection on PS3 and honestly I'd recommend it just to experience it firsthand. The game is pretty easy and I beat it in about 3 hours so you can knock it out in an evening and never have to think about it again if you don't wan to.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Not when it was new and certainly not with 17 years of other, better action games to play since. Why scrape the bottom of the barrel until you have to?

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
DMC2 is the definition of wasted time, do NOT bother unless you really gotta know

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I assume you have one of the HD Collections? If so give it a whirl. DMC2 is mediocre. It's not a pain to play, its just pretty bland. I've only played it once, compared to the rest of the series, it's not good. But generally it'll kill an afternoon or two. It's definitely the low water mark of the franchise, but having played through it I cannot say I disliked it, only that it was meh with a few cool points.

But yeah, nothing that happens in it matters to the overall plot, and it is the weakest in the franchise. So if your time is precious that a game that'll just waste time is something you want to avoid, then avoid it.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna play it myself after I finally beat 1. Its short and my tolerance for bad action games is pretty high.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
If you like anything about DMC1 and DMC3, then no. It's not a good game IMO. It plays slow, guns are overpowered, levels are uninspired, etc. Dante's design it's good tho

I'm gonna assume Jawmuncher is gonna be the only want in this thread with something good to say about it

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I'd only play it if you already have it and reeeealy need to play it or have some morbid curiousity for it.

It's only saving graces are that it's easy and short.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If your time is shit, sure. If you respect it, staring at a wall is a better use of your time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'd recommend playing Lucia's campaign at the very least. As said you don't need to invest in it (don't buy it for $20 on Eshop or something). But if you already have the HD collection is not a very long game and as far as "bad" games go it's still easily playable.

You're more OP than it being unfair or anything.