• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, dropped it after the big demon in a church and a cutscene with V in their car.

Cool so you didn't play the game

I haven't DMC5 yet but reading DmC was more fun doesn't encourage me to buy it in the future :/ It was literally the less fun DMC for my tastes (DMC2 aside).

If you hold this opinion, why would you listen to the opinion of the OP alone and have that influence whether or not you buy DMC5?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you think Castlevania LoS is a great game, you'd probably love DmC as well. They both focus on story, visual spectacle and give their best in the first run. That's because both were going for God of War sales. DMC is built with a different philosophy.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
If you're concerned with things like combat depth and enemy/boss design then in no universe is DmC better than V. If you're more concerned with things like...platforming...in your stylish action game then I guess DmC is what you're looking for.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
this is absolutely ridiculous and is not based on any kind of reality. seriously... this is literally moving goal posts. how can you not feel ridiculous after saying something like this?
First, how am I moving goal posts when this is the first thing I've said in this thread?
Why did you edit my post to make it seem like I was stating a fact? It's my opinion that combat is the single truly important factor for comparison in this genre.

I feel the same about Bayo 1 vs Bayo 2. Sure, Bayo 2 is way better on playthrough 1. Bayo 1 is filled with time waster and annoying missions. Who actually wants to do space harrier or insta-death QTEs in every mission? Bayo 2 doesn't have nearly as much annoying junk to go through. However, Bayo 2's combat is poorly balanced for a number of reasons that become more apparent the more you play. Therefore, in my opinion, Bayonetta 1 is the superior game and it's always the one I return to when I want to play some Bayonetta. Despite the poor levels, despite the annoying QTEs, it's still more fun to play for me.

Do you understand where I'm coming from here? I'm not saying you have to think the same way as I am. Hell I even stated in my post that I can understand why someone would like DmC over DMC5...

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I think that the gameplay (specifically the combat) is much more fun in DMC5, but the rest of the game built around all of it is probably the worst in the series outside of 2. Even though I had more fun with the gameplay of DMC5, I'd probably say that I enjoyed the overall package of DmC more.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
One game lets me slice demons in half with a motorcycle chainsaw

The other is DmC

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The only thing that i didn't like about DMCV is the level design .some levels felt like you were going down a hallway for most of the level then a boss would come out then that's it. Everything else was great.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
First, how am I moving goal posts when this is the first thing I've said in this thread?
Why did you edit my post to make it seem like I was stating a fact? It's my opinion that combat is the single truly important factor for comparison in this genre.

I feel the same about Bayo 1 vs Bayo 2. Sure, Bayo 2 is way better on playthrough 1. Bayo 1 is filled with time waster and annoying missions. Who actually wants to do space harrier or insta-death QTEs in every mission? Bayo 2 doesn't have nearly as much annoying junk to go through. However, Bayo 2's combat is poorly balanced for a number of reasons that become more apparent the more you play. Therefore, in my opinion, Bayonetta 1 is the superior game and it's always the one I return to when I want to play some Bayonetta. Despite the poor levels, despite the annoying QTEs, it's still more fun to play for me.

Do you understand where I'm coming from here? I'm not saying you have to think the same way as I am. Hell I even stated in my post that I can understand why someone would like DmC over DMC5...
I didn't mean to edit your post to make it seem as if you were stating a fact. Sorry about that. I edited it to criticise the particular point you were making. I think it's unfounded to judge an action game solely on its combat merrits. I understand where you are coming from when you say you go back to Bayo 1 because of it's combat, but the game's combat system isn't built in a vacume. One reason i hate playing original DMC games(yes, even DMC3 even though i beat that game like 15 times) was because of the sluggish traversal and absolutely bland level design. the combat system only takes it so far and the bloody place in DMC3 could only get me to play for like 30-45 mins at a time. i see where you are coming from. To each their own, but the whole package counts for something.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
because of pacing???

why the fuck else do you incorporate design elements from other genres into your game?

"i can't trust someone who names..."

ugh, shut up.

Calm down. The last part was a joke.

Anyway, the platforming wasn't particularly good in DmC regardless. The jump physics don't lend themselves to good platforming and it's annoying to deal with in multiple playthroughs.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
DmC has some great art direction when you switch over to limbo, other than that DMCV trounces it in every single department, it's not even a contest. DMCV is hyper focused on the combat and level design becoming much simpler to basically funnel you from combat arena to combat arena was actually appreciated because it let me get to the best part of the game with no filler, just wish the environments were a bit more varied and interesting. DmC's platforming as well was straight trash and was variety for varieties sake, was about as engaging as uncharted platforming except it was basically just Simon Says in regards to color prompts.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think that DmC is a more well-rounded game overall. I didn't enjoy V's gameplay and I think some of the level design in DMCV is especially poor. DMCV has some really bad platforming segments.

DmC has worse enemy variety, but the game is more well rounded in that it breaks up the pace of the gameplay frequently with well designed platforming, and exploration based gameplay.

I agree that DmC is the better game, overall.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I must add that "DmC" definitive edition makes the game much better thanks to being 60fps and having a turbo mode. The original was too slow and too... 30fps.
Haters should replay it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I liked DmC just fine. But it was a one and done for me. The deep, complex, high skill ceiling, jump-cancel, combo-labbing 3D fighting game aspects of DMC, which is what most of the hardcore fanbase likes about these games, was mostly non-existent in DmC. DmC is a good one playthrough adventure game. DMC5 is basically a 3D fighting game I can sink hundreds of hours into and still find things to practice/improve on and new techniques to try.

Oct 29, 2017
Hard to believe anybody in the world could think the characters, combat, or bosses in DmC are any good at all.

The art direction is pretty incredible, tho. Game looks BEAUTIFUL.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Complaining that Devil May Cry needs better level design is like complaining Half-Life needs more platforming or Banjo-Kazooie needs better core combat. It's honestly kind of refreshing that Devil May Cry focuses PURELY on its biggest strength (combat), without the need of spectacle setpieces and quick-time-events. While I love Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, replaying them can be a chore because suddenly you have to stop and collect keys or have a slow walking/talking section or you failed a QTE out of nowhere and have to replay it until you get it right. But I jumped right into Devil May Cry V's new game+ on Son of Sparda and I am having the time of my fucking LIFE.

Also, the praise for DmC's platforming is just...bizarre to me. Like, everybody keeps bringing up the Bob Bardas/Raptor News Network section, but like...have you played that section? Because here it is, in its entirety, from 1:20 to 1:50. All glorious 30 seconds of it.

Like, that's it. It's five platforms and three grapple hooks. You just...jump and glide from platform to platform. It's not a challenge or anything. It's a rudimentary jumping section set to some admittedly nice looking visuals. Why not set like, an actual fight here and then have it devolve into the Bob Bardas arena? It's so ultimately worthless.

And I think the same thing about a lot of the level design in other spectacle fighters, too. Like, Devil May Cry 3's Temen-Ni-Gru is fantastic set dressing, but...can you remember a single piece of non-combat oriented level design where you were like, "Wow, this sure is some great, memorable platforming/puzzle-solving"? Can you remember a truly great non-combat level in Metal Gear Rising that wasn't a QTE? Do you remember platforming AT ALL in Ninja Gaiden? Devil May Cry V is great for the same reason God Hand is great: It puts all the focus solely on its core combat. And if you get tired of one character's combat, you have two other characters more fleshed out than any other spectacle fighter character's entire games. Shit, every single melee weapon Dante has could be the sole focus of its entire game. There's such an incredible amount of depth, and I'm glad we got that instead of a boring platforming section that I would not have given a shit about.

Some visual variety would have been appreciated in later DMCV levels, but that's my only real complaint. It just got a little too dark. I do love the big bright open final arena, though.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the writing is so good.

"The world is at last your bitch. As am I. All that's left is to bend it over and fuck it."

Yeah, no.
It does have good writing. It reveals in its absurdity without being full on dumb goofy. If you take that line out of context, it's really dumb. However, its a dialogue with an ancient godlike demon that rules the world through soda and fox news broadcasting. It's just funny.

DMCV expects you take V with his constant weird poetry reading 100% serious, and that stuff is would I would consider a writing misstep.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
If you're concerned with things like combat depth and enemy/boss design then in no universe is DmC better than V. If you're more concerned with things like...platforming...in your stylish action game then I guess DmC is what you're looking for.
Not even good platforming either, auto pilot shit. Glorified uncharted tier climbing.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
To each their own, DmC is far below DMC 1/3/4/5 for me, but how can you possibly call DMC 5's bosses weak in comparison to DmC? There's a total of 6 in DmC, with Mundus and Poison being a copy and paste job and Vergil just being a worse version of the DMC 3 fights.
I think the problem with most of the bosses, they 'feel' anticlimatic, idk how to describe it.maybe it has to do with the very easy difficulty modes that change the experience a little, like they are just another common demon battle, but bigger and with health bar

Overall they are much better than DmC though

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Wow people in here actually trying to argue that DMC is not just about combat? Its not hard to understand, DMC was always about combat and DMC5 has the best combat...done best DMC game. If you want an adventure or "full package" go play God of War 2018 or any of the 1000 other action adventure games, ill be working on my Nero combos in bloody palace.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
It does have good writing. It reveals in its absurdity without being full on dumb goofy. If you take that line out of context, it's really dumb. However, its a dialogue with an ancient godlike demon that rules the world through soda and fox news broadcasting. It's just funny.

DMCV expects you take V with his constant weird poetry reading 100% serious, and that stuff is would I would consider a writing misstep.

Nothing in DMCV is 100% serious, it's DmC that wants to be taken seriously most of the time (there are some attempts at humor, here and there).

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played 5 yet, but honestly I've seen nothing yet to convince me you're wrong. DMC was far better than people gave it credit for, and while I almost take for granted that the actual combat is better in 5, I suspect there are a lot of other things where DMC has it beat.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
DmC's level design is incredible. The aesthetics are fun, stylish and epic in all the right ways which alone makes it better than the rest, in my opinion.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think DmC has better level designs but in terms or combat it's not even close. DMC: 5 dances circles around DmC. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the combat in DmC but there's no comparison.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

DmC is also a game where your main female co-star is implied to have been sexually abused by her father throughout her childhood until she eventually killed him.

Also, V has a fucking Singing in the Rain tapdancing taunt and literally every character surrounding him takes the piss out of him and mocks him, including his own chicken minion. V is exactly the thing DmC fans want DmC to be.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I barely remember anything about DMC5 and I played it a month ago. I remember most everything from DMC3 and I played that like 10 years ago.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Does it though? I didn't get that vibe at all.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame you can't make a thread stating you like DmC better in this forum without the annoying ass "DmC isn't a real Devil May Cry!" Jerkoffs coming out of the woodwork to tell you you're wrong.

Anyway, I agree with you OP. I went back to DmC after playing 5 and what can I say? I instantly had more fun doing that on Son of a Sparda than 5 on the higher difficulties.

And lol at the 5 having better alenemt design.
I really don't see many comments like that, most users here seem respectable, and of course they're free to criticise what i said.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Nero flat out makes fun of V for this, I strongly believe that it was not meant to be taken seriously
So does Dante, and even in V segments you have all the griffon exchanges. It isn't anywhere close to serious. Plus the William Blake shit at least thematically works with DMC's shtick, on the flip side DmC's subtext is a whole lot of tripe.

Jangowuzhere

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nero flat out makes fun of V for this, I strongly believe that it was not meant to be taken seriously
Yeah, the game cracks at it, but never really hammers home how dumb it actually really is. For most of the game, V's poetry is played pretty straightfaced.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Honestly, the actual level design, as in the layout of the levels and what objects they have in them, is not what's important to this genre. What actually makes a level interesting and fun in a character action game is the enemy placement and encounter design. This is something that in my opinion DMC5 does far better than almost any other game in the series, especially on the higher difficulties, due to having the most balanced and fun roster of enemies. A lot of this isn't all that noticeable on DH and Human, but on SOS and DMD (which I'm currently making my way through) the encounters become far more difficult and interesting, forcing you to deal with tough situations ( such as multiple furies) and in the case of Nero, forcing you to plan ahead with what breakers to bring to the fight.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow people in here actually trying to argue that DMC is not just about combat? Its not hard to understand, DMC was always about combat and DMC5 has the best combat...done best DMC game. If you want an adventure or "full package" go play God of War 2018 or any of the 1000 other action adventure games, ill be working on my Nero combos in bloody palace.
You should know that people play games for other reasons too. Just because you purely like the combat alone doesn't really translate to what others want from this either. Which sounds like you're saying "leave my game alone, go play other games" except you're wrong. Not only did i not compared it to other games (a bit to Bayo), I've gotten more than combat alone in the previous games. DMC3 is still my favourite for a number of reasons, DMC4 for variety of the environment, and DMC1 for that awesome gothic feel.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Yeah, the game cracks at it, but never really hammers home how dumb it actually really is. For most of the game, V's poetry is played pretty straightfaced.
You actually think we are supposed to internalize what V is reading while im comboing a demon in the air? Alot of people here were ready to poop on DMC5 before even playing it. Suspicious...

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played DMC5 yet, and probably won't for a long while, but I very much enjoyed my time with DmC Definitive Edition. It's easily my favorite of the series at the moment. The story is hot trash, but the gameplay felt the most fun and rewarding for an average action game player like myself.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
One of the two games has writing credits by the writer behind Annihilation, Ex Machina, Dredd, 28 days later, Never let me go and Sunshine. It isn't 5.
Feel free me to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Garland actually wrote DmC, just Enslaved. He served as a supervisor for DmC's story, but the actual writing was all Tameem.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the actual level design, as in the layout of the levels and what objects they have in them, is not what's important to this genre. What actually makes a level interesting and fun in a character action game is the enemy placement and encounter design. This is something that in my opinion DMC5 does far better than almost any other game in the series, especially on the higher difficulties, due to having the most balanced and fun roster of enemies. A lot of this isn't all that noticeable on DH and Human, but on SOS and DMD (which I'm currently making my way through) the encounters become far more difficult and interesting, forcing you to deal with tough situations ( such as multiple furies) and in the case of Nero, forcing you to plan ahead with what breakers to bring to the fight.
That's what bothers me. You need to finish it at least once before it opens up. Previous games really weren't like that, including other action games.
For instance Ninja Gaiden Black offers everything you need in your first playthrough then opens up even more with new enemies in higher difficulty and enemy encounters.
The pacing of DMC5 was a big problem as well. Maybe if the three characters had seperate campaigns, it would've been more fun on their first playthrough. I felt like V could've had more, including story beats as well.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep totally agree, thanks for being brave enough to post this lol. Wasn't sure how to vocalise these 'meh' feelings I had after finishing 5 but you pretty much summed it up.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
IIRC Alex Garland worked on Enslaved, not DmC.
He did work on it actually.
One of the two games has writing credits by the writer behind Annihilation, Ex Machina, Dredd, 28 days later, Never let me go and Sunshine. It isn't 5.
Foreign concept, but believe it or not writing for a game, way different than a movie. And it's highly a possibility to even people who are good at something, have a bad day at the office or a shit work. And DmC's writing, is definitely Garland's worst outing.

Jangowuzhere

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're trying to sound smart here, but it's just silly nonsense. They've spent millions of dollars on writing, animating, and voicing cutscenes and story for DMCV.
Yes, DMC is more than just the combat for many, including the actual developers.