• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I still have fond memories of playing Dead Space 3 (I played it co op so it was good) but the DLC completely destroys the main game (except for the shit ending).

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard had a run of these if you count paid expansion campaigns as proto DLC.

Some will argue that Torna is better than XBC2, and it is in places.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This include expansions? Witcher 3: Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine

Basically any Firaxis Game, too. Civ DLC, XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, etc

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I always heard the DLC campaign for Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City was better than the main game's campaign.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Lair of the Shadow Broker

Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece but that DLC was such a perfect combination of action, drama, character growth and nostalgia...I just adored it.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Minerva's Den is always what comes to mind first when people bring this up. If Bioshock 2 built the base game around that concept, and its themes and progression, it really might have been quite something.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4's two major DLCs gave players opportunities that really should have existed in the main game.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
An unusual pick, but the Surviving Mars "Green Planet" DLC turns it from a good game to an amazing one with terraforming

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hearts of Stone as a whole was much better written plot wise than the Witcher 3. The villain is also 10x more interesting. Blood and Wine was such a fun location to go to that I would also consider it better than the main game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Civ 5 DLC, it's unplayable to me without it

Frozen Wilds was better then regular Horizon

Fallout 4 Far Harbor is actually Fallout

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think I actually enjoyed Frozen Wilds a bit more than the main campaign of Horizon

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 Crown Trilogy. I loved the base game mind you.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Torna isn't good, per se, but it is miles better than the mess that is Xenoblade 2's base game (the story doesn't undermine itself for otaku pandering, there's no stupid HMs, the combat is actually decent, etc.).

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Evil Within.

Kidman's chapters are infinitely better than the main game.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Metro Exodus. The Two Colonels was simply fantastic as a small story in the world and it felt more like the previous two games than any moment in the main game. Sam's Story also did the open world levels in Exodus better than any open world level in the main game by making it more linear.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Xenoblade 2: Torna refines the combat and exploration, is much shorter, and has some pretty darn good music:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Resurrection of Evil is a way better campaign than vanilla Doom 3
-length is tight so you dont have to suffer through a middle third thats a slog and a half like in vanilla doom 3 which just drags its atmospheric spooky first act to incredibly diminishing returns before it picks up again for the last third where its full on shooter in hell/hellified labs

-gravity gun is cool cus you can just fling the lost souls around

-no sections where you have to just fucking stand there and take potshots at 30 stupid spider demons for several minutes

-once you get the beserk powerup added to the artifact, at any point you can just go "alright demons, square up"

Last edited:

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3. Except the first section which is literally just replaying shit from the end of the game again but sometimes you can play as a different character.
Also, when it comes to Final Fantasy XV, nothing really beats just driving around and doing other random shit in the main game. So, I'd still rather PLAY the main game than the DLC. But story wise, the last two DLC episodes were a million times more interesting than the actual story in the main game.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Homefront: The Revolution's DLCs, Voice of Freedom, Aftermath, and Beyond the Walls were way better than the main game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I liked that post game island ruins thing in Dragon's Dogma more than the main game, that was DLC originally right?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
....I mean most DLC is made after they have all of the lessons learned from making the main campaign. It would be weird if it wasnt better.