• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you like more?

• Donkey Kong Country Returns

Votes: 76 13.2%
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Votes: 499 86.8%

• Total voters

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
Having never played either I'm curious which one gamers like better.

Tropical Freeze is on my radar and debating whether it'll be worth the time/effort to track down Returns plus a used Wii to play it.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Returns. It's hard and that's why I like to play DKC games. TF was a breeze to play through.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze had the sense to not have an entire world comprised solely of mine cart and rocket barrel stages.

Tropical Freeze is the objectively superior title.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Returns was a very good return to form.

Tropical Freeze is the best platformer ever made.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
TF because you could play it with a normal controller and the Switch version fixed the unbearable loading times and extreme difficulty spikes.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Returns is easily the worst DKC game. Tropical Freeze is on a whole different level.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
This will be a landslide and for good reason. Tropical freeze is arguably the best 2D platformer ever made

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I like em both. TF is better though but it could of had more mine cart levels (not joking, I love em).

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Returns was an incredible revival and a blast to play.

TF is just an incredible audiovisual masterpiece on top of that and I love all the added mechanics with the water and Dixie/Cranky on top of it, plus the giant sprawling levels made everything a treasure to explore.

They're both great games, but gotta hand it to TF.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I've only played Country Returns on 3DS, so I can't really speak for Tropical Freeze.

They're both very good games from what I've heard.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Tropical Freeze was a clear iterative step beyond Returns imo. While many factors were the same or similar to its predecessor, the level design of that game is the best for any traditional platformer ever.

Here's a better explanation why than I can make myself:

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Returns is a good game, doubly so at the time because it was a Return to the classic Country style DK games

but Tropical Freeze is one of the best 2D platformers ever made. it's just so damn good. some of the best single levels in the genre, some of the best worlds in the genre, one of the best OSTs of all time regardless of genre, possibly the most satisfying feeling controls for the genre with a real sense of weight and momentum. it's quite a good video game is what I'm saying.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
They're both great games, but Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is on another level, which really sets it apart. It also has no forced motion controls. And more inventive levels overall.

Tropical Freeze is a must play, but Returns is also good if you have the time for it.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Tough decision, but I think I prefer TF over returns. Every level brought some thing new to the table and also David wise made some god tier music. Both are excellent games. Retro DKC>Rare DKC

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Returns's soundtrack is a blasphemy to the series. Never ever make a Donkey Kong Country game without David Wise.

While Returns was good, I didn't like the extremely happy environment it portrayed during all the adventure. Tropical Freeze kinda returned to the dark, mystic and melodic vibe of the trilogy. I said "kinda" because the first levels are happy and colorful as well.

Still ... Tropical Freeze is my favorite of the series. It's a masterpiece. And it has my favorite soundtrack ever.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Returns was an extremely solid foundation but was a little too weighed down by its commitment to old presentational tropes, shoehorned gimmicks and difficulty that at times got extremely artificial (particularly in the endgame). It's still a solid 9/10, only held back by how much it felt like a "remix" of the old.

Tropical Freeze is a god damn masterpiece.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Tropical Freeze, by far. Returns has way more annoying mine cart/barrel bast levels, has more cheap deaths and waggle ruins the game, at least on Wii. It's not a bad game by any mean, but a good yet flawed one.

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Returns on dolphin.

Both are pretty good, but I don't like water levels and the collectibles are pointless in TF.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Tropical Freeze is neatly designed, eventhough it's not what I want out of a DKC game.

Returns I dislike a lot. I think the cheap soundtrack does the game no favors.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only problem I had with Tropical Freeze is there were fewer but longer levels, too long, but it is the better game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Both are good but TF is just better. Better music. Better level design. Better pacing.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Returns is really great, but it is clearly a precursor to the masterpiece that is Tropical Freeze

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority but i preferred the more tight level design of Returns and the game had more levels overall. Plus it was really refreshing to get a new DKC game after so long. TF was good but it just did not have the same impact on me. DKCR was the best platformer of the seventh generation.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Tropical Freeze by far. Ability to play with the Pro Controller, a god-tier soundtrack by David Wise and just all-around great platforming and levels.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Tropical Freeze since it's just way more creative, had better characters/villains, and never felt like a rehash.

Returns was still excellent, though, and the only thing that makes it hard for me to replay today is the mandatory waggle controls.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze is much better it's really unfair, and yet Country Returns was still an amazing game!

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
DKC Returns had the same problem I have with New Super Mario Bros where it is obsessed with the original game to a detriment. Tropical Freeze was way more creative while still squeezing in DKC2 references. I guess if we get a 3rd new DKC game it will add the puzzley open overworld the way the 3rd NSMB had the Tanooki Tail and the 4th NSMB had SMW style overworld.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tropical Freeze is the best Nintendo-published 2D platformer and easily in the top 2 2D platformers I've ever played.

DKCR is still great but doesn't come close to TF.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I think some of Returns' level design is stronger, actually. But everything else is TF, no contest.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
TF because you could play it with a normal controller and the Switch version fixed the unbearable loading times and extreme difficulty spikes.

What did the Switch port of TF do to fix the difficulty spikes? I don't think I'd heard about difficulty changes beyond Funky Kong being playable.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Tropical Freeze is the GOAT, but let's not discount Returns' snappier levels, greater number of levels, and overall higher challenge.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I dunno, I'm a big fan of DKC3's soundtrack.

She was clearly influenced by him, was like a student of Wise. So she was awesome. And yes, DKC3 has a dark, nostalgic and amazing soundtrack.

They just chose a generic guy for Returns. The music almost made me stop playing it. As a big fan of DKC I felt offended by his music.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Tropical Freeze is one of the greatest platformers of all time. Returns is good but not nearly as good as TF.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Tropical Freeze had the sense to not have an entire world comprised solely of mine cart and rocket barrel stages.

Tropical Freeze is the objectively superior title.

This statement is false! Tropical Freeze foolishly omitted an entire world of rocket barrels and mine carts!

With that said Tropical Freeze is just over all better but I think both are absolutely worth visiting.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformer games I've played and it was a shame to see it panned during its original Wii U release.

Mar 9, 2018
She was clearly influenced by him, was like a student of Wise. So she was awesome. And yes, DKC3 has a dark, nostalgic and amazing soundtrack.

They just chose a generic guy for Returns. The music almost made me stop playing it. As a big fan of DKC I felt offended by his music.
That's not really fair to say about Eveline Novakovic when she was with DKC right from the beginning, responsible for Voices of the Temple, Ice Cave Chant, Northern Hemispheres, Treetop Rock, and the overworld map theme from DKC1. It seems incorrect to call her a student of a style she actually also created along with David Wise.