• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, the trailer has KDA from League of Legends playing and visuals for Get Jinxed at the end. That's kinda awesome.

My only exposure to DJMAX was Technika Tune, and I loved how that played on the Vita. Surprised to see that this is not only not touch screen based in any way, but also not kpop.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I know this works great on a keyboard, but really though, are there some Launchpad-Styled PC controllers out there that'll work with this thing? I'd love to jam out to some dedicated buttons if possible.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Most dedicated controllers use Beatmania IIDX arcade style buttons, as linked on the last post of the last page. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping you from using something like a Korg Nanopad 2, Beatstep, a midi fighter, or whatever you want with Bome's Midi Translator to map midi notes to keyboard inputs.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Most dedicated controllers use Beatmania IIDX arcade style buttons, as linked on the last post of the last page. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping you from using something like a Korg Nanopad 2, Beatstep, a midi fighter, or whatever you want with Bome's Midi Translator to map midi notes to keyboard inputs.
oh shit good idea. I wonder if I can use my mpk mini for this or if it would be confusing only having 4x2 pads... maybe I can use my Circuit Lol

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Keyboard feels unfair almost lol. Though I can't figure out a comfortable 8B setup.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
First time using a keyboard for DJMAX and what a difference. Going to try messing with some midi inputs too, got a Beatstep lying around. Those arcade controllers look like a lot of fun, but just knowing I can up my game by finally moving away from the PSP/DualShock layout is exciting.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the lack of local 2p support is just a result of this being a somewhat stripped down EA version. I believe it exists in the PS4 version.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised they bothered putting this in early access. The only thing that really jumps out at me as missing are controller button prompts. No arcade mode I guess, but I don't see them mentioning it anywhere so maybe it's gone for good.

I just wish there was a way to unlock all the songs instantly, it's going to take a long time for me to unlock them all again.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish there was a way to unlock all the songs instantly, it's going to take a long time for me to unlock them all again.
Monkey's paw.

They offer a method....but it's the same way you unlock all songs on PS4 & it's via $15 unlock key DLC.

All this DJMAX talk reminds me I never got Technika Tune on Vita. Should really play that one of these days.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, this has me interested.
I'm also in search of a new keyboard.
What would you recommend? Something with cherry brown?

Jun 23, 2019
Monkey's paw.

They offer a method....but it's the same way you unlock all songs on PS4 & it's via $15 unlock key DLC.

All this DJMAX talk reminds me I never got Technika Tune on Vita. Should really play that one of these days.

It's so good and I'm praying they drop a song pack based on that version as the game has several songs that never made it off of that version like 'Take on Me' by Cuve.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018

Whaaaaaat, I never knew about this, and I have a Midi Fighter 64... thanks for the heads up! :) Gonna try it out later tonight!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Bit of an odd question, but can you set this up to use a touchscreen monitor for lanes (like, if the game has support for playing with a mouse it should work)? I enjoyed Technika Tune and play a ton of rhythm games but I'm terrible at the traditional DJ Max style of vertical scrolling lanes with insane note spam unless I can use touch controls, I find a regular controller too hard to use.

Edit: Seeing people saying on the Steam forum this has no calibration options for syncing audio with the notes. What the hell.

Last edited:

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Bit of an odd question, but can you set this up to use a touchscreen monitor for lanes (like, if the game has support for playing with a mouse it should work)? I enjoyed Technika Tune and play a ton of rhythm games but I'm terrible at the traditional DJ Max style of vertical scrolling lanes with insane note spam unless I can use touch controls, I find a regular controller too hard to use.

Nope, not at all. The way the notes are set up (8 button and rotate/turquoise notes), I can't ever see it working.

Playing on keyboard might take you some time to get used to, but its so good and accurate once you do learn it.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Bought this fast last night and jammed on it for a good 45mins. Played controller but will try keyboard today. Love that it is now on PC!

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it, didn't know Tapsonic was on Steam as well so I bought that first, got the coupon and got both Tapsonic and DJ max for less than the cost of a new game which is a pretty great deal.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you supposed to be able to unlock stuff in AIR mode? It mentions earning rewards, but I played it for a bit last night and didn't notice anything. I like the idea of that mode, but if I can't unlock songs with it, I'll be sticking with freestyle for the foreseeable future.

Is this worth buying? Love rhythm games and mostly been playing Osu! on PC so far.
If you love rhythm games I can't imagine you wouldn't love this. The series has been around for a long time, if you search youtube for DJMax you can see a ton of gameplay videos.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
I was having some really bad sync issues and there are currently no in-game calibration settings (which IMO is kinda unacceptable for a rhythm game at this point)
Edit: Seeing people saying on the Steam forum this has no calibration options for syncing audio with the notes. What the hell.

Konami will would sue
Apparently they have a patent for that (PS4 was apparently kinda different, maybe its effect is kinda negative on a monitor+keyboard), and it wouldn't be the first time they get sued by Konami.
Maybe someone can mod that in or something

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
never heard of this game. is it that good, folks?
If you like rhythm games its generally considered one of the best, and the UI/presentation in RESPECT is fantastic - it rivals the Persona games as far as I'm concerned. Just be warned it gets brutally difficult at higher difficulties so there's quite a learning curve and you're gonna have to be willing to fail a lot before you see noticeable improvement.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I have this on PS4 and I've been wondering if there's a controller that goes with it. I tried looking on Amazon but I'm having little luck.
Haha, I decided to take a look. Seems like you can order this or preorder this before December 31st. Hope you have some cash.

The EZMAX is very very worth it, and you can use it for more than just DJMax as well. Bought it for the PS4 version and it's very fun to play on.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Konami will would sue
Apparently they have a patent for that (PS4 was apparently kinda different, maybe its effect is kinda negative on a monitor+keyboard), and it wouldn't be the first time they get sued by Konami.
Maybe someone can mod that in or something
Errr, almost every rhythm game ever has timing calibration options - Project Diva, Voez, Starlight Stage, Groove Coaster etc. - with Persona and this being the two exceptions. You literally cannot release a rhythm game without the ability for people to account for display response times, even 1ms out is noticeable.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The EZMAX is very very worth it, and you can use it for more than just DJMax as well. Bought it for the PS4 version and it's very fun to play on.
Do you happen to know what the differences between microswitches are? Is it just the pressure required to activate it? The question mark isn't giving me any info on any browser I've tried.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difficulty curve on this like? Is it like guitar hero where there's a normal curve of like 20-30 songs on normal or above then a brick wall like Raining Blood/Jordan 3 songs from the end? Or is it more like Lumines where tempos get varied and the more difficult songs are spaced out throughout your progress? Or is it like Rock Band where you can just unlock everything by playing enough times, regardless of your progress?

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Errr, almost every rhythm game ever has timing calibration options - Project Diva, Voez, Starlight Stage, Groove Coaster etc. - with Persona and this being the two exceptions. You literally cannot release a rhythm game without the ability for people to account for display response times, even 1ms out is noticeable.
Eh, that's what I've read. Some might have reached an agreement with Konami or maybe it only affects cerain rhythm games, idk.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

This sounds completely ridiculous and now I'm thinking about double-dipping to try this out with my MPD218 pad controller. DAMMIT.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, using a standard 4x4 drum pad controller seems a little weird unless you only plan on playing 4k.

I'm a DJMax beginner (kind of? Haven't played since DJMax Online, not counting Technika games) and I started at 8 keys, it's fine.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Do you happen to know what the differences between microswitches are? Is it just the pressure required to activate it? The question mark isn't giving me any info on any browser I've tried.

Yep it's just the pressure required to activate it. Cabs usually use higher weight but lower weight is easier on the hands. I personally use 100g switches but it's all down to preference.

Eh, that's what I've read. Some might have reached an agreement with Konami or maybe it only affects cerain rhythm games, idk.

They should just bring the calibration from the PS4 version over. Yea it isn't perfect but it would help out a lot.

The patent probably only effects rhythm games that are keysounded to the music, and none of those on the list are. They either have their own hit sounds or don't have any keysounds at all.

Last edited:

tchiem

Jun 3, 2018
How does it handle the analog stick inputs on keyboard? I really wanted to use my HitBox controller for this on PS4 but I couldn't map an analog stick for those notes that require you to rotate them.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
How does it handle the analog stick inputs on keyboard? I really wanted to use my HitBox controller for this on PS4 but I couldn't map an analog stick for those notes that require you to rotate them.
A press and hold should work. You actually don't have to rotate them at all.

+The OVERLOAD? skin is nooice, will use that until we get the DLC skins later.

Last edited:

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Are there any decent cheap ($50) controllers that work well for this and TapSonic? I have an arcade stick and I tried re-mapping the buttons for 4Key, but when I go into Air mode, whenever I press certain buttons, it keeps going into AutoPlay and entering the message screen.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Anyone knows if I can play this with a midi controller/musical keyboard?

As mentioned earlier on in the thread, its possible by using a keystroke mapping software called Midi Translator Classic. It took me a few hours to figure the mapping out, and I still need to fix the Right Shift key, but I got it working on my Midi Fighter 64.

I did a stream of me using it last night:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/523711964

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The SC stuff is interesting. Don't think it would be possible on controller though(just wait for someone to prove me wrong though).