• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Is there some like bomb ass techno or edm/electronic shit in this? sometimes these games go from like real chiptune-y stuff to like anime music and while I enjoy the gameplay, the music selection can be kinda lame.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be pretty good at 5b Pop'n, and I'm decent at the Miku games as well, but I was absolutely terrible at this when I tried the demo. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some like bomb ass techno or edm/electronic shit in this? sometimes these games go from like real chiptune-y stuff to like anime music and while I enjoy the gameplay, the music selection can be kinda lame.
There might be a few? Though I'm not sure if these songs fall under those categories.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
My hands cramped up after watching those vids. That being said I'm tempted to try this I'm sure there is easy difficulty. Music sounds so good. Is there a soundtrack out for this one can buy?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Man, 9B Pop'n (on a DualShock) literally took me a decade to git gut at.
Currently can clear up to 30's in the new difficulty scale (or up to 36 while using an ASC)

Yeah it's no joke. I have a make-shift Pop'N set-up at home but have played mostly 5B. Need to play more 9B.

n818T2D.jpg

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I downloaded the demo because of this thread. I used to love playing GH3 with a controller.

The UI is kinda wonky to my eyes. The combo/congrats text is right in the middle of the main lane. Then it as the small line telling you want is coming down and the main strike line at the bottom.

It all seems very busy right in the middle. I wish it took up more of the screen as well.

idk, maybe that is the way these types of games are. Still debating whether to pick it up. Gonna play the demo some more and see how I feel.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, tried the demo again and I'm still terrible at it. Doesn't really seem like any of my Pop'n/Miku skills are carrying over to this (though to be fair, my Pop'n heyday was like 10-15 years ago, so my reflexes aren't nearly what they used to be). Shame, it seems great and the price is definitely right, but I don't really think I can handle games like this anymore.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah, tried the demo again and I'm still terrible at it. Doesn't really seem like any of my Pop'n/Miku skills are carrying over to this (though to be fair, my Pop'n heyday was like 10-15 years ago, so my reflexes aren't nearly what they used to be). Shame, it seems great and the price is definitely right, but I don't really think I can handle games like this anymore.

Don't count yourself out too early, it takes a bit to shake off the rust off and get your eyes used to reading and reacting to the notes. It's very normal to start off terrible. Even when I take 3-4 day breaks on rhythm games I need an hour or so to warm back up to the read speeds. Miku might be the only exception because the way it's displayed gives you a lot of time to read usually.

This advice goes for everyone really. Don't beat yourself up when you start out because it's completely normal to start off missing a lot of notes😊

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Don't count yourself out too early, it takes a bit to shake off the rust off and get your eyes used to reading and reacting to the notes. It's very normal to start off terrible. Even when I take 3-4 day breaks on rhythm games I need an hour or so to warm back up to the read speeds. Miku might be the only exception because the way it's displayed gives you a lot of time to read usually.

This advice goes for everyone really. Don't beat yourself up when you start out because it's completely normal to start off missing a lot of notes😊

Yeah, I re-downloaded the demo and managed to clear a few songs on 5b after I remembered that I was way better at Pop'n when I cranked the speed up to 2x. That helped here as well! Still bad at it, but slightly less so.

Still not sure if I'll pick it up or not, but I'll spend a lot more time with the demo at least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Practice makes perfect. I started out not being able to full clear any easy 4B song but now I can do certain 10* songs with full combos. Its one of those pure gameplay games that just gets better the more I play it. But it does take a while for the higher difficulties to click, but its some of the most fun I've had all gen.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the things messing me up is the lack of lane dividers/colored lanes like Pop'n has. It's especially evident in anything higher than 4b. And the middle notes in 6b being the same color only makes it worse.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the things messing me up is the lack of lane dividers/colored lanes like Pop'n has. It's especially evident in anything higher than 4b. And the middle notes in 6b being the same color only makes it worse.
I know where your coming from. Training my mind to know which note is which lane is a pain in the beginning.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
All rhythm games need a pop'n skin (and alternatively IIDX skin).
So readable!

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Turned on Pop'n 6 for the first time in ages (since it's the only one I currently have access to, even though I don't really care for the earlier ones that much) and I think the big difference is that Pop'n is WAY more lenient in how many notes you can miss before you fail. In DJMAX it doesn't take too many breaks/wrong inputs at all to hit game over, whereas in Pop'n you can miss a ton of notes and still clear the song. Honestly I don't think either one is better. Pop'n is too easy, and DJMAX is too hard (in the beginning, at least). A nice middle ground between the two would be great, I think.

(Note that I'm referring to normal difficulty only, 5b Pop'n, and from a DJMAX beginner POV.)

Though maybe I'm completely off-base here in comparing Pop'n and DJMAX at all, since the latter is clearly more similar to IIDX, something I have very little experience in, almost zero really. And much like my attempts at DJMAX, my attempts at IIDX also ended in failure. Hell, IIDX was worse if anything. Don't think I ever cleared a song there, while I've at least cleared a few songs in the DJMAX demo.

In conclusion, what I'm getting from all this is that I'm putting way too much thought into a $20 purchase. And also that I miss my PS2 with all the Pop'n games that I actually like (and my Pop'n Mini controller).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This thread inspired me to download the demo again. I got a max combo on one song and still got a B lol. Some of these songs are so hard even on normal with 4b which is the easiest the demo lets you go. Now I understand why people say the Persona dancing games are easy. Even though I had to work my way up to getting max combos on All Night difficulty, normal still felt really easy in those games. Normal here is really hard for me, especially the rap songs in the demo. Those are impossible. How many songs are in the full game anyway?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This thread inspired me to download the demo again. I got a max combo on one song and still got a B lol. Some of these songs are so hard even on normal with 4b which is the easiest the demo lets you go. Now I understand why people say the Persona dancing games are easy. Even though I had to work my way up to getting max combos on All Night difficulty, normal still felt really easy in those games. Normal here is really hard for me, especially the rap songs in the demo. Those are impossible. How many songs are in the full game anyway?
146 songs before any dlc.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so wait...I've seen people mention an "Easy" difficulty here and there as I've been reading about the game. But the demo only has Normal and Hard.

...did they seriously leave Easy out of the demo?

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Okay so wait...I've seen people mention an "Easy" difficulty here and there as I've been reading about the game. But the demo only has Normal and Hard.

...did they seriously leave Easy out of the demo?

There are 3 difficulties in the game, spread among 4B, 5B, 6B and 8B modes, depending if the song has a chart for it; Normal, Hard and Maximum.

Very loosely it kinda works like:
Normal = Easy
Hard = Medium
Maximum = Bloody hell... :)

But it shouldn't matter much, as the star rating is a good indication on how hard it actually is (out of 15 stars), so its better to refer to that.

And please everyone, buy this game. The amount of content for the asking price is criminal

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Something I wish more rhythm games would do is to have an option to color the notes by beat.

ZHEXuRt.png

In DDR you could have it so 1/4 notes are red, 1/8 notes are blue, 1/16 notes are yellow, and all other notes are green. Made it much easier to read and tell what the timing of the notes were meant to be than when all notes are the same color. At least to me.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
okay i bought it

this shit SLAPSSSSSS. there's a lot of good ass music.

my only bother is that the timing display on the grid is too low, so it sometimes blocks the inputs in a weird way, in addition to that tiny ass little fever meter that builds up, and the combo display. is there any way to change that stuff?

Also, none of the visuals seem to be playing? I just get a "game data setting up" in the background. is stuff still installing or something?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
okay i bought it

this shit SLAPSSSSSS. there's a lot of good ass music.

my only bother is that the timing display on the grid is too low, so it sometimes blocks the inputs in a weird way, in addition to that tiny ass little fever meter that builds up, and the combo display. is there any way to change that stuff?

Also, none of the visuals seem to be playing? I just get a "game data setting up" in the background. is stuff still installing or something?
You can turn auto fever on if you don't want to worry about the fever bar and activating it (this is disabled in mission mode though so beware!)
But as for your background problem, pressing the touch pad turns off the visuals in the background, so press either the right half or left half of the touch screen (I forget which) will turn on/off the background videos.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
You can turn auto fever on if you don't want to worry about the fever bar and activating it (this is disabled in mission mode though so beware!)
But as for your background problem, pressing the touch pad turns off the visuals in the background, so press either the right half or left half of the touch screen (I forget which) will turn on/off the background videos.

Well, I actually turned it off entirely because the visualization of the meter being in the middle of the track is super distracting. There's unfortunately no way to turn off the timing judgement display, or the combo display either so I just gotta get used to that.

Also all the backgrounds videos are playing now. I think the game was just still installing or something like that? Weird, but not a big deal last night lol.

Something I wish more rhythm games would do is to have an option to color the notes by beat.

ZHEXuRt.png

In DDR you could have it so 1/4 notes are red, 1/8 notes are blue, 1/16 notes are yellow, and all other notes are green. Made it much easier to read and tell what the timing of the notes were meant to be than when all notes are the same color. At least to me.

This is kind of a bummer too. If that's just how the game is then it's fine, but it makes acing charts feel more like memorization than being able to learn the song through the sounds and visual timing.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the issues I'm reading from new players are just lack of familiarity with the game and UI. If you're entirely new to the genre or not entirely new but used to other bemani games, just press on and everything will click. Slowly but surely you will FC S rank harder and harder charts.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Imported this back when it first game out in Asia. Love it. Been a longtime fan of the DJ MAX games. But, for some reason, can never get my TV to sync to the point where it feels tight, so my timing ends up being off on every single note.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely adore DJMax. Played it on PC when it was freemium and got the LEs of DJMax1, 2, BlackSquare, and regular copies of Clazziquai, 3 and Technika Tune. I even double dipped on 3 in digital so I could play on PSTV/Vita.

I really wanted the physical copy of this game but with all the DLC I figure I'd wait for a US sale.

As a long time fan, I expected the game to just be a mash of songs like a simple 'best of' busllshit cd, but this is more like a comprehensive beautiful box set. Probably the best $20 I've spent on video game related stuff in a VERYYYYY long time.

Anyways, my cheap ass hopes the dlc goes on sale...but I'll probably bite on the Guilty Gear songs before then.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Wow thanks for the thread bump. I hesitated back then, but I may jump in now! Game looks fun.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After playing this on steam, I can't return to the ps4, keyboard is more easier

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I bought his on ps4 and its like wtf is going on?

Kinda feel bad. I know I won't be able to ace this to get the platinum. Welp hate you Era.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this heads up! My son has been on a rhythm game kick recently and has been playing the demo for this a lot. He's really good, so I think I'm gonna get this for him and surprise him this weekend. He'll be over the moon!

Jun 23, 2019
Nah NeoWiz can fuck off especially after they removed several features from the PS4 version in order to prop up Respect V on Steam.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
Thanks for the thread bump! Just picked this up and I'm excited to play later today.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about picking this up (or waiting for a sale on PC); any differences between this and the PC version I should know about?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thinking about picking this up (or waiting for a sale on PC); any differences between this and the PC version I should know about?

PC version has additional note charts for some songs that are designed for keyboard controls, supports higher framerates, but doesn't have all of the DLC yet and also doesn't have a proper arcade mode.

It's still probably the "best" version of the game though.