• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Khaled is just a curator that smashes celebrities together to make something more marketable. Just look at how he reused feature lineups from past songs in this. He can't make music on his own.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
He fucks up all of his songs with that audio watermark shit he does, like it's a mixtape or something. He's been making music for a long time now and every time I hear this fool say "WE THE BEST!" on a track, it makes me think about how insecure he must be.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
He did the same thing with the Ms. Jackson instrumental. It's wasn't creative at all.
Yeah, I heard that shit for the first time two days ago and was just confused. I kept wanting to just sing "I'm sorry Ms. Jackson!" because the track was.......basically the original track.....just with someone different singing a different melody. It threw me off so much.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should be lucky anybody listened to that trash "album". My nigga been releasing the same collection of samples and ideas for 10 years now.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm over here trying to figure out how DJ Khalid still gets work and is still incredibly popular when every single video of his live performances that I've seen is cringy as hell and the audience is booing him.

Dude is super salty. I love it.

This shit's so embarrassing.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think DJ Khaled is funny. Please don't cancel him. Being salty (but funny) and not going down on women is still not enough reason for it.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
Khaled is credited as writer and producer for every song in his albums.

As for the claim that he's "stealing" credit, that's just a conspiracy theory. You could say the same about almost any hip-hop producer.
He gives himself producer credits, but I don't think he's chopping samples or programming beat skeletons. I'm pretty sure he just has a lot of popular rappers' phone numbers.

OhMan

Apr 29, 2019
He has a winner mentality
can't knock the hustle, it's why he and people like him are so successful

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Some people in this topic don't know what it means to be a producer. Khaled is a legit producer. Tyler stuff aside, as Khaled was clearly in the wrong, we need to break down what it means to be a producer.

You don't need to actually play instruments or chop samples to be a producer. If you organize the structure of a record (say you go "ok intro, verse, bridge, hook, verse 2 and etc"), if you hear a beat and then decide who gets to go on the track organization-wise, if you say "ok add this here and make it sound like that" or if you say "alright I want a beat that sounds like this and then we can do this" to it then that's technically a producer. Khaled's been doing this for about 20 years now. He doesn't need to physically press keys to be classified as a producer and honestly a lot of hip hop artists today follow that trend. Kendrick Lamar for example is notorious for doing this hence why he gets producers credit on his tracks and why others say he needs to give himself more credit. Jay's known for doing this in the past too. This is also why some people are called executive producers on projects as well. Ross is an example of this and of course famously Diddy.

The Joe Budden Podcast had a 20 minute conversation about Khaled and his album recently on his podcast and they spend a lot of time on why Khaled is a producer and why he's great. Go peep it.

Last edited:

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for Tyler, IGOR is an awesome album and it deserves to be #1. Seriously DJ Khalid's album is just so mediocre.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ngl if my feature list was as stacked as his, I'd be pretty upset too lol. He really has the biggest names out rn on it. Tyler deserved that #1 tho :)

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
Some people in this topic don't know what it means to be a producer. Khaled is a legit producer. Tyler stuff aside, as Khaled was clearly in the wrong, we need to break down what it means to be a producer.

You don't need to actually play instruments or chop samples to be a producer. If you organize the structure of a record (say you go "ok intro, verse, bridge, hook, verse 2 and etc"), if you hear a beat and then decide who gets to go on the track organization-wise, if you say "ok add this here and make it sound like that" or if you say "alright I want a beat that sounds like this and then we can do this" to it then that's technically a producer. Khaled's been doing this for about 20 years now. He doesn't need to physically press keys to be classified as a producer and honestly a lot of hip hop artists today follow that trend. Kendrick Lamar for example is notorious for doing this hence why he gets producer credit on his tracks. Jay's known for doing this in the past too. This is also why some people are called executive producers on projects as well. Ross is an example of this.

The Joe Budden Podcast had a 20 minute conversation about Khaled and his album recently on his podcast and they spend a lot of time on why Khaled is a producer and why he's great. Go peep it.
I think it makes complete sense to give him executive producer credits. He's good at arranging collaborations between extremely popular artists. I'm just saying he doesn't have any musical talent.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
You Stay is one of the vibes of the summer and amongst the best of Khaled's R&B symphonies, so Khaled should be happy that he still dropped heat (in addition to smaller Ws that he doesn't get enough credit for, like keeping Nas' career attached to an IV in all those dry years).

he needs to get the gang back together for a sequel

6SavqPe.jpg
He did this exact thing for this album, try to replicate the success of I'm The One with No Brainer. Same features, same funky productions, minus Wayne tho.

I was ehh on it at first (even hated the Quavo verse) but it 100% slaps to me now.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London

You don't need to actually play instruments or chop samples to be a producer. If you organize the structure of a record (say you go "ok intro, verse, bridge, hook, verse 2 and etc"), if you hear a beat and then decide who gets to go on the track organization-wise, if you say "ok add this here and make it sound like that" or if you say "alright I want a beat that sounds like this and then we can do this" to it then that's technically a producer. Khaled's been doing this for about 20 years now. He doesn't need to physically press keys to be classified as a producer and honestly a lot of hip hop artists today follow that trend. Kendrick Lamar for example is notorious for doing this hence why he gets producers credit on his tracks and why others say he needs to give himself more credit. Jay's known for doing this in the past too. This is also why some people are called executive producers on projects as well. Ross is an example of this and of course famously Diddy.

I echo what Atomlung said, he deserves EP credits, not actual production. You look at something like TPAB, and yeah, Kendrick Lamar clearly has a huge influence over the production, and there are plenty of interviews to attest to that, but it wouldn't be right to say he was the producer of the tracks, when you have people like Flying Lotus, James Blake and Knxwledge actually putting the beats together.

The issue is if you say someone like Khaled is a producer, then what about the people who actually produce the music?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it makes complete sense to give him executive producer credits. He's good at arranging collaborations between extremely popular artists. I'm just saying he doesn't have any musical talent.
As for pressing keys? Yeah he doesn't do that. But in regards to mixing, arranging sounds, song structure, album structure, knowing who goes where and how their sound correlates to the overall track then yeah he has that talent and that's the reason why you have artists such as Kendrick, Cole, Jay, Drake, Nas and many more working with Khaled. Engineers are the true stars of any musical track and without them hip hop wouldn't be where it is today. He's basically an engineer who puts the track together himself and gives directions to others to follow.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Lmfao that thirty second clip of Khaled in the car is my first introduction to the man in any way shape or form and I just know from the way he comes off I don't ever need to seek out a single thing this guy ever creates, nor am I likely to appreciate any accidental exposure either. Fevered ego x1000000

Also button up yer fuckin shirt mate and stop lettin it all hang out.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I echo what Atomlung said, he deserves EP credits, not actual production. You look at something like TPAB, and yeah, Kendrick Lamar clearly has a huge influence over the production, and there are plenty of interviews to attest to that, but it wouldn't be right to say he was the producer of the tracks, when you have people like Flying Lotus, James Blake and Knxwledge actually putting the beats together.

The issue is if you say someone like Khaled is a producer, then what about the people who actually produce the music?
Flying Lotus and Kendrick himself have stated that Kendrick should get co-producer credits for doing the same exact thing Khaled does. Actually the last time it was stated was a few weeks ago. There's some idea that people think that those who press keys are the only producers when that's false and that's something I only hear coming from those who aren't affiliated in the industry. You can pull up numerous tracks and see there's more than 1 producer contributed and some of the people there, not everyone presses keys. Cole for example, on a lot of the beats he produces for himself he gets others to play parts and yet they're not credited at times. That doesn't mean that Cole is the only producer when he's just giving orders. It's a co-produced track at the end of the day.

The big thing is this.

There's a difference between a beatmaker and a producer. Khaled is a producer. Every beatmaker is a producer but not every producer is a beatmaker.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Every time I see this dude talking he comes off like a huge jackass, no desire to listen to any of his garbage.

Mar 18, 2019
He gives himself producer credits, but I don't think he's chopping samples or programming beat skeletons. I'm pretty sure he just has a lot of popular rappers' phone numbers.
Steve Wozniak: "What do you do? You're not an engineer. You're not a designer. You can't put a hammer to a nail. I built the circuit board! The graphical interface was stolen! So how come ten times in a day I read Steve Jobs is a genius? What do you do?"

Steve Jobs: "Musicians play their instruments. I play the orchestra."

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
He has a winner mentality
can't knock the hustle, it's why he and people like him are so successful

The winner mentality is all about movin' the goalposts to be wherever the ball is.

"We always winning! It ain't just about record sales, it's about what's in our soles, uh, I mean soles. My heart is full of love for my fans and we will never stop"

Mar 18, 2019

This.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine being a stan and defending DJ Khaled of all people, lmao.

Dude is totally clueless and has surrounded himself with people who have propelled his success. He's a curator, an Instagram-like influencer. I'll stan the real producers and talent.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His album isn't actually terrible. A few decent tracks on there, but I'm also not completely surprised Igor outsold it. Igor is just a far better, more unique and interesting overall album and musical package.

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't imagine being a stan and defending DJ Khalid of all people, lmao.

Dude is totally clueless and has surrounded himself with people who have propelled his success. He's a curator, an Instagram-like influencer. I'll stan the real producers and talent.

I won't knock the hustle but man this dude is eating for not doing much.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly have no idea what he even does. Does he create beats like Timbaland?

I mean, I know an Eminem or Timbaland produced song when I hear it. I know Metallica or AC/DC or Motörhead when I hear them. Even without hearing the voices. They all have their own sound. If you need to say your name on each track your doing it wrong

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If you organize the structure of a record (say you go "ok intro, verse, bridge, hook, verse 2 and etc"), if you hear a beat and then decide who gets to go on the track organization-wise, if you say "ok add this here and make it sound like that" or if you say "alright I want a beat that sounds like this and then we can do this" to it then that's technically a producer.

Man, that's, like, that's, just, I'm having trouble, like, getting the words out because especially when it comes to pop it's just, it's, that's so easy man. That's the easiest part of all of it. No wonder everybody thinks he's a hack.

I'm just imagining dude in the studio actually doing that now. "Hm, what if we make a pop song that has an intro, a verse, a chorus, another verse, a bridge, another chorus YES! ANOTHER ONE!" wow gee sounds like you might be onto something there bro thats so good that id say i can taste the pussy already but youd have no idea what im talking about

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's, like, that's, just, I'm having trouble, like, getting the words out because especially when it comes to pop it's just, it's, that's so easy man. That's the easiest part of all of it. No wonder everybody thinks he's a hack.

I'm just imagining dude in the studio actually doing that now. "Hm, what if we make a pop song that has an intro, a verse, a chorus, another verse, a bridge, another chorus YES! ANOTHER ONE!" wow gee sounds like you might be onto something there bro thats so good that id say i can taste the pussy already but youd have no idea what im talking about
Some do do it now but a lot of popular artists are, honestly, lazy. Unlike Pharrell for example, he's amazing. He sends you the beat with the vibe, the hook and all you gotta do is just add your stuff in. Some artists don't even care about how long songs are and what intricacies that can be added to the track, they just want hits. Most people just go with the standard structure these days which for hip-hop it's 2 verses and 3 hooks now. Others like Kendrick for example, he likes giving his people as much credit as can be which is why he's not co-producer on most tracks but he does get credit elsewhere. Schoolboy Q for example always gives Kendrick co-credit on his tracks because he sends his music to Kendrick to see if it's organized right and such. It just depends on the artist.

Khaled from what I've heard and seen he's more like "ok, we need a song that fits this vibe, ok, ok, nah that needs to be louder here, make the horns louder, alright good, now we need an intro alright who can we put on that ok lemme call Justin up and we can get him here, now this part? The verse? We need it harder, rougher, Nas's voice would go dope on this one ok lemme get Nas real quick, for the hook we'll just get Lil Baby he can make it work and as soon as we get their vocals we can mix it and see how the beat goes with it" and that's usually how those big tracks hit. Yeah there's big artists on there but there's a certain formula that works sonically that he's been able to hit for 15 years. He does that with every track on his albums and most of the time he comes up with the hooks and such and those end up being the catchiest parts of the track. That's also the reason why he always gets writer's credits on tracks. He comes up with the theme and hook of the tracks most times.

It might not sound like a talent but yeah it is. You'd be surprised to see what some of these people be doing in the studio and I mean that in a negative way. Some just don't know how things sound lol.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Dude's ego is off the charts. He's always irritated the fuck out of me. Talent or no talent, I will never understand the arrogance and ego of people like this guy.

Being upset that your album is only number 2? Get outta here with that shit.