• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• PS5 also has lower quality reflections, fog, and anisotropic filtering than Series X|S
  • Series S loads fastest, followed by Series X, and then PS5
  • All platforms stay at a pretty reliable 60fps, with PS5 being the most consistent
  • Some buggy water effects on PS5/Series X. Series S doesn't have these bugs
  • Series S has some problems loading some textures
  • Seems like a solid, albeit pretty barebones, patch

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I will never understand why they can't keep anisotropic filtering to 16X on console.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I am really struggling to understand how the PS5 has worse loading. Even if the games are not designed for the new SSD with brute force it should still come out on top.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it still needs some work on the PS5 side of things but the performance is solid. I've been enjoying going back to the game quite a bit, 60fps is a massive upgrade over how it was before.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I am really struggling to understand how the PS5 has worse loading. Even if the games are not designed for the new SSD with brute force it should still come out on top.
Keep in mind this is all still backwards compatible code and the Xbox consoles seem better equipt to handle these. Similar results were seen with games like Final Fantasy XV when both consoles launched. On paper the PS5 is still the fastest in terms of SSD but this mostly comes to fruition on next-gen games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd be interested to see how XSX/PS5 now compare to the PC version, which looked almost a generational leap ahead compared to even Pro/XBX with way more detail, foliage, etc.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested to see how XSX/PS5 now compare to the PC version, which looked almost a generational leap ahead compared to even Pro/XBX with way more detail, foliage, etc.
This patch is still the last-gen version of the game, just with a patch. So the game still won't touch the maxed out PC version.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Ps4 pro shackles

Wonder if this gets a native port. Some of the pc settings are transformative.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So with some effects being lower quality on PS5 I'm guessing this is based on the X1X/Pro update version.
Should be easy to find out on XSX as you can find out whether it's Durango or Scarlett devkit code looking at the game properties. If the former then it's basically just a 'next gen aware' patch. I'll have to download it and give it a try myself tonight.

EDIT:
This patch is still the last-gen version of the game, just with a patch. So the game still won't touch the maxed out PC version.
Ah, makes sense.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
While better frame rate does wonders for this game a full blown next-gen port still would be better, the discrepancy between consoles and PC is big.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

Could be a CPU bottleneck. If the data has to be processed after it's been loaded then the faster CPU in the Xbox might pull ahead.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game so long ago in some mad £8 sale and have literally never even installed it. Been waiting for this update!

Thanks OP.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Most backwards compatible games load slightly faster on XSX than PS5. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware and everything to do with BC software solutions and constraints.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, seems clear that this was more or less just raising the framerate cap when playing on the new systems. This is just running at the same resolution/graphics settings of previous gen, but at 60FPS instead. I played some last night - definitely smoother to play at 60FPS, but it's not a graphical showcase for next-gen or anything like that. This is still a previous-gen game.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Most backwards compatible games load slightly faster on XSX than PS5. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware and everything to do with BC software solutions and constraints.
Yeah, it appears Sony has deliberately throttled read speeds for PS4 games, presumably to help ensure compatibility.

Anyway, the fact this is running via BC probably should've been more obvious in the title/OP. For some awful reason, a lot of people seem to use "next-gen patch" interchangeably for both actual patches to last gen games and full blown ports/remasters so it can easily get confusing.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game so long ago in some mad £8 sale and have literally never even installed it. Been waiting for this update!

Thanks OP.
No prob! It's a great game, especially for £8. I plan on playing this with my wife (me on Series X, her on Series S).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
this goes same way for xsx too then
Yes, but the XSX backwards compatibility profile is different from the PS5's. It seems (from DF comments, observational clues from these past months) that way more hardware can be accesed in the Xbox BC mode, while PS5 limits itself to a somewhat boosted PS4 Pro profile all the time.

That's what people mean of PS4 Pro shackles, they just don't have that much access to the newer stuff from the hardware.

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, BC mode so it's just raising the framerate cap.

S/X can have better loading in BC games more often than the PS5 BC modes.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The good thing with the ps5-patch is you can store this large game on an external SSD and saving your precious space.

Jul 26, 2018
I plan on playing this with my wife (me on Series X, her on Series S).

That's my plan as soon as I'm done with school and get a decent job, you get a second setup (Series S + entry-level TV) so we can play all games coop. And definitely this one. What a great game... It's a pity it never got all the love it deserves, it's a high caliber game...

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my plan as soon as I'm done with school and get a decent job, you get a second setup (Series S + entry-level TV) so we can play all games coop. And definitely this one. What a great game... It's a pity it never got all the love it deserves, it's a high caliber game...
Yep! I keep my Series S in my basement, but we've got a 24" 1080p we use when we play together. Just bring the Series S upstairs & plug it into the monitor. Super convenient.

Jul 26, 2018
the game is now... wow simply gorgeous on Series X... Two huge differences: (1) the image is now crispy AF, and (2) wow that smoothness when you move and aim. Mind you, I play on a TCL S4 so it's not a fancy 4k TV and I'm the kind of guy that could never ever tell the difference in resolutions and FPS. Like literally I'd need a DF video with a side to side comparison and a resolution/FPS counter to actually see the difference in resolution or FPS. But this game just looked and felt better to me as soon as I booted it after patch. It's really the first time that I can say that 4k@60 is king, and I'm not converted.

I saw a couple pictures comparing PC vs console versions and I could notice that in PC the world density and detail is just orders of magnitude better. I wish they had implemented that honestly, that'd be the cherry on top, but I do agree that this patch albeit small effort is more than welcome. Thanks Massive <3, you deserve way more love and exposure than you get. I hope we have a Massive dev in Resetera that can see this message.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Remember this runs in BC mode on the respective consoles and MS solution is simply more flexible. Btw, there is more to loading than SSD bandwidth.
Makes sense. The PS4 Pro seems to hold back the PS5 in some of the last gen game comparisons, like with Star Wars Squadrons
Kinda, but Squadrons is also hold back by PS5's BC solution. Developers literally can't enable 120FPS, unless they do a native port of the game.