• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually one of the people who had zero issues paying full price for the game.
For $3 I feel like it is an absolute no brainer.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Thats why I said originally that I wouldn't be surprised if this is going f2p later. (edit: ok, I didn't say that originally, but thats what I meant lol)

$3 is literally nothing for ubisoft.

Why even have any sort of barrier at all at that point?

Mindshare.

People perceive a payed game going F2P as "Failure" .

If you give it a massive discount you are seen as a "Good guy trying to support your game even at a loss. Pumping new life into the community!!"

If you make it F2P after launch you are seen as "Desperate, trying to salvage this trainwreck of a game".

They saw the numbers, saw they couldn't get a whole lot more out of the base game... so now they are going to Upsell you on the Season passes. But i'll tell you this... The Division 3 might probably be F2P .

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm suprised they didn't just negotiate with Sony to add it to the PS+ lineup next month or something if they wanted to drive up hype for the expansion.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Is the base version worth buying or is the Gold Edition better? What does Gold come with?

You get some extra missions in the gold edition but all of the year 1 DLC is included with the base game. People with gold get the DLC a week earlier but if you're just getting in by the time you get to that point Episode 3 will probably be out and past the wait period for the base game.

Edit: Bottom line, don't buy the gold edition or the season pass for year 1. Especially if base is this cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
Mindshare.

If you give it a massive discount you are seen as a "Good guy trying to support your game even at a loss. Pumping new life into the community!!"

If you make it F2P after launch you are seen as "Desperate, trying to salvage this trainwreck of a game".

They saw the numbers, saw they couldn't get a whole lot more out of the base game... so now they are going to Upsell you on the Season passes. But i'll tell you this... The Division 3 might probably be F2P .

Hmmm, alright.

You are probably right.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I played a few hours of the first game and couldn't get in to it, then played the beta for D2 and it wasn't hooking me either so I never picked it up. I do love loot shooters, but a lot of the appeal to me is exploring a setting/world with good stories or characters which I wasn't finding here, and/or it's own interesting lore and I can't really get that from a military game in a realistic modern day setting. For that reason I've always secretly wished these games were in a cyberpunk setting to make them more interesting but that's here nor there. At $3 I'm willing to give it another try.
The Division 2 has some of the best environmental story telling in gaming. The cutscene story telling is standard, but the lore and world0building is off the charts good. You need to explore to find it all, but the good thing here is that the exploration in TD2 is amazing. The open world is well designed, full of activities, and has lots of cool hidden secret areas with locks you need to shoot off to gain access to, boxes to climb up to gain entry through windows, manhole covers to descend, and the loot you find in these areas is all meaningful (not like the usual filler crap you often get in loot games in the "patrol" areas).

Honestly, I didn't like the more grounded setting at first for the same reasons as you, but it really does pay off if you set out to explore the world and take it all in.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm suprised they didn't just negotiate with Sony to add it to the PS+ lineup next month or something if they wanted to drive up hype for the expansion.
Wouldn't have given them their own news moment and it would only be on one platform. Making it $3 (essentially free) is a smarter move.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Mindshare.

Destiny 2 went F2P. A far more successful game than TD2.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I love Division 1 & 2 they're really relaxing to play. Beautiful to just walk around.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Mindshare.

this is a post from like 2011

free to play does not have a stigma anymore

there have been plenty of successful paid game to free to play game transitions

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Imo, it was worth it before. The open world exploration and levelling is very, very good. Best in a GaaS and as a standalone experience wihttin that GasS experience is pretty fucking great.

If you like loot shooters, there is a lot of quality content here for people who don't enjoy GasS. If you do enjoy these games, here's even more. $3 is an absolute seal.
If any of you are on the fence. I put like 130 hours into this game at launch playing mostly by myself (Some of the missions I did group finder for and it was fine). Did PVP by myself. Did missions by myself. Everything.

I loved it, was a fucking blast. I ended up getting bored but after 130 hours I was happy to pay 60 bucks for it.

3 dollars is a fucking steal.

Bought.

Thanks for impressions. I liked the first game. I've been playing WWZ which made me think about how fun the first game was, so i'm in for this one.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You ain't buying the 30 bucks season pass if you don't have the 3 bucks base game. Which means you also won't be tempted to buy the micro transactions in game, and if you aren't already in the loop of the community, you might not stick around for the next season or the next game.

Take a small loss right now, profit big down the line.

That's the play.
Yep to that first paragraph, plus as others have said if a game goes fully F2P people question what was broken about it in the first place.

You and others refer to taking a small loss now. I'm sure that's not the case. It was probably very profitable on its first day of sale. Every sale after that is clear profit.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I would honestly wait till the end of the day till after their big announcement.

Yeah, its only 3 bucks, but this is a MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE drop in price for every platform.
\
Something has to be up.
NBA 2k19 was the same last year, before 2k20 dropped. huge disocunt out of nowhere... expand the player base and hope for mtx and expansion sales.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Forgive me if im ignorant, but how does this work for PC play? If i buy it from Uplay, who do i get matched with, only other Uplay people, or EGS servers also?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, fine...
Seems this is not the store dedicated to your country. Not available for purchase due to geographical restrictions. This/these items may be available in your store.

Eh, fine...

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If I have the physical edition for XBO, and have the season pass, the DLC should still work if I redeem a digital code, right?

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Destiny 2 went F2P. A far more successful game than TD2.

Yeah, we all remember how smooth Destiny 2's ride was from launch to F2P ...........

There have been plenty of unsuccessful paid game to free to play game transitions
There have been plenty of a bunch of things into a bunch of another things some good things other bad things.
We can all agree that there have been, without a shadow of a doubt, many things.
Things have indeed happened.

The Stigma attached to the transition still exists.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
It's an underrated gem imo and a steal at that price. I have zero interest in the endgame raid and there is still a stack of content to explore.

- one of the most detailed open worlds in any game . I never get tired of searching every inch and admiring the details
- huge variety of creative settings for missions . aquariums, museums just to name a few
- one of the few looter shooters completely playable solo.
- some really interesting side tapes and videos that flesh out the world

Give it a shot people , whilst the snow in division is hard for top, Washington is equally impressive to look at .

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Free to play doesn't give any type of urgency to it though. When I hear free to play, I think cool, I'll check it out some time since it'll always be free and then most of the time I don't. A deal yells out this is a limited time offer so you better get it now. That does give you urgency and grabs your attention more.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Not counting obvious stuff like raids how is it solo

It's a long ass game to play by yourself. Especially since the various factions are much more aggressive than TD1. You certainly can play it solo but I would recommend taking advantage of the matchmaking to at least make it more enjoyable.