• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Its a mistake to not have snow. Why go back to new york? This could have been done on the existing map.

No it's not. It would've been a mistake to have snow. It doesn't make sense and it would be boring. I want a colorful NYC instead of a gray one. Snow only looked good the first few hours and then it outstayed its welcome.

Division is a pretty bland franchise. The Tom Clancy gadget-shooter vibe of it is about as generic as it comes. What made the first game so memorable (for those who enjoyed it anyways) was the stunning NYC recreation in winter. Natural to hope for that again.

The snow wasn't what made it memorable. The "gadget-shooter" vibe did.

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy and I are super pumped for this. We've been playing since the beginning. I'll be honest I'm the since that we have full time job and families so we don't have a ton of time to play this. We haven't even hit WT5 yet. We also aren't the best at it either but it's just so fun to sit down and kill an hour a week (maybe). I will say some of the system seem convoluted and just down right hard to get anything going. We played the first one forever as well. We'll buy this day 1! Especially now that we will be going back to NY!

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
No it's not. It would've been a mistake to have snow. It doesn't make sense and it would be boring. I want a colorful NYC instead of a gray one. Snow only looked good the first few hours and then it outstayed its welcome.

The snow wasn't what made it memorable. The "gadget-shooter" vibe did.
By what most are saying... you are wrong and the demand is strong.
People have been asking for snow and it helped give D1 a identity which is lost with D2.

I am hoping for weather changes that includes snow.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is the end of the line for the Division. They are finally ending the story that was left hanging at the end of the first game in a DLC expansion of the second game taking place in an entirely different setting.

I guess seeing how part 2 performed they don't want a part 3 after all.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is the end of the line for the Division. They are finally ending the story that was left hanging at the end of the first game in a DLC expansion of the second game taking place in an entirely different setting.

Kinda feeling the same. If they dont start ramping up some really important bad guy or girl in the seasons after Keener is dead, its because they are probably done with the franchise.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
If it launches in a good place (which D1 and D2 definitely both weren't) then there's a chance it won't splinter the player base. But they are not going to get a second chance with an expensive paid expansion if it isn't good right out of the box, and it will accelerate the game's death.

this is the last chance that they have to show that they´ve learned a thing and that the game/franchise has a future. but i am not optimistic because Ubisoft is 75% marketing and talking and mostly they don´t deliver at all. Massive showed that they can´t make a longterm engaging game and they did many mistakes with Div 2 that they´ve already made in the first Division.

do people still remember the wet fart that was the Far Cry 5 editor? they did trailers, "unlimited replayability, you can unleash your creativity" and other blurb and in the end it was DOA.

Ubisoft is much hype and blurb and in the end it is often far from what was promised.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fighting Black Tusk is great, but they really need to refine the concept. Having to manually traverse to every "Invaded" mission/stronghold was and still is stupid.
Totally agreed. For the most part I really enjoyed the game, but some aspects (like the one you mentioned) ended up being huge turn offs. Loot being so damn confusing was another one - I'm glad that's being addressed.

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
End of the franchise lol?

They can start a brand new story/catastrophe in the 'Division universe' wherever and whenever they want.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Kinda feeling the same. If they dont start ramping up some really important bad guy or girl in the seasons after Keener is dead, its because they are probably done with the franchise.

i mean if it turns out this way it wouldn´t be surprising. in the end it was a franchise that didn´t lived up to its potential at all.

End of the franchise lol?

They can start another story in the 'Division universe' wherever and whenever they want.

they´ve burned too many people, same as with Destiny. many people are turned off of the franchise at this point.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah why are people acting like this villain is the Thanos of the franchise? The franchise won't end with his death. At least we might get a better storyline after we're done with him. Hopefully a completely new story in Europe or Asia. I'd love to see an Eastern European setting.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah why are people acting like this villain is the Thanos of the franchise? The franchise won't end with his death. At least we might get a better storyline after we're done with him.
It doesnt make much sense to make us go BACK to New York to kill Kleener when they painstakingly made DC as their new setting and the way forward. It feels like they know that a lot of people didnt like DC and their new story, so they are backtracking to fan favorites.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It doesnt make much sense to make us go BACK to New York to kill Kleener when they painstakingly made DC as their new setting and the way forward. It feels like they know that a lot of people didnt like DC and their new story, so they are backtracking to fan favorites.
So you are speculating that they made this expansion in less than a year? Maybe less than 3/4 of a year cause they had to actually see the reaction to Div2 first?

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you are speculating that they made this expansion in less than a year? Maybe less than 3/4 of a year cause they had to actually see the reaction to Div2 first?
I dont know. What I do know is that I think its weird that they made DC as the sequels setting, which in my opinion is the best part of the game in how detailed and amazing everything is (It looks like a real city) only to go back to the first game setting and villain.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

When did they say they've made DC "the way forward" whatever that means? They've most likely been working on this expansion since before TD2 launched anyway. At least in pre-production.

There were plans to go back to NYC, but they made the new DC setting to make it fresh. Launching TD2 with the same map as TD1 wouldn't had been a good idea.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Would've liked an Autumn setting tbh. No interest in snow, and that alone is not what makes or break the game. I thought Div 2 looked beautiful but I did get a bit tired of the summer setting. Hopefully they change seasons now.

NYC is a good move because there are some fundamental flaws with the DC map that can't really be changed unless they shake up the setting considerably, one of those flaws being the way the dark zone and strongholds are set up.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There is nothing about summer that is interesting. You can't feel the heat of summer. Who cares if the characters in the game are hot. Now if it was constantly raining that would be something. A perpetual torrent with only sporatic moments of clarity would be awesome. it wouldn't be any more absurd than it snowing in NYC for 3 straight years. That is why survival was such an interesting mode in the first game it made use of the snow as a mechanic. For as much as div 2 has it feels like it has less and I think the devs are learning the wrong lessons. As soon as it came out that they wanted to go a more narrative route with the series I knew it was in trouble.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah why are people acting like this villain is the Thanos of the franchise? The franchise won't end with his death. At least we might get a better storyline after we're done with him. Hopefully a completely new story in Europe or Asia. I'd love to see an Eastern European setting.

Betting my avatar that Keener will manage to escape somehow.

He's still a big player in the franchise's storyline

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. So I booked a month of Uplay+ to check out Div2 on PC. Damn the game is dead as fuck. Even less populated than the Xbox version.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU. Germany specifically. I don't know, I'm just starting out and I can't seem to find people for the first few missions.

Also uplay+ doesn't give a LVL 30 boost which is pretty whack.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy and I are super pumped for this. We've been playing since the beginning. I'll be honest I'm the since that we have full time job and families so we don't have a ton of time to play this. We haven't even hit WT5 yet. We also aren't the best at it either but it's just so fun to sit down and kill an hour a week (maybe). I will say some of the system seem convoluted and just down right hard to get anything going. We played the first one forever as well. We'll buy this day 1! Especially now that we will be going back to NY!
Yeah I am 45 and the buddy I play with (also a coworker) is almost 50 years old. We did the same thing, played since the beginning but played when we could, which honestly meant I got way less sleep than I should have there for a few months. I am not exactly sure as it has been months since I played, but I think we stopped at WT3. I honestly had to tell him as much fun as I was having with him, it had to calm down. I was staying up to 2AM on work nights. 20 year old me would laugh at me even complaining about that, I used to game until 5AM and wake up at 7AM. It just 45 year old me cannot hang like that anymore. Somehow even at 5 years older than me he could do it no problem, which I was jealous of and he would make fun of me at work the next day. Sucks getting old. Haha

With that said, will no doubt be picking this up to play again with my friend. Since we stopped playing D2 more or less, we do hop on some COD MP now and then, but it is nowhere near the fun we had playing D2 in CoOp. Like the two experiences are not even comparable.

Definitely looking forward to this expansion. Especially since I did play D1 but never played it all that much.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand the Division communities god damn obsession with snow.

For fucks sake lol.
I don't have special nostalgia for it, but it's true that it was an element that made the first game unique, it's very weird to see a game on the snow, and even less such a good representation of New York, it really added to the atmosphere of the game.

TD2 has... plants? Some zones are a little overgrown, but neither Washington is that interesting, neither the summer setting adds anything. It's just a pretty normal open world map IMO.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I played my first ~four hours of the base Division 2 via Geforce Now last night, and had a pretty excellent time. I don't know that I'll be into a major expansion, but the $3 offer was a smart move, in terms of getting a late-comer to check things out.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, what are you guys talking about "End of the franchise"?

Just because Keener is going to die (Maybe) doesn't mean there weren't any other super shitty bad guys to make a story about... You all are crazy!

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I picked this up on sale and I've been impressed with what I'm seeing/playing. It was a smart kind of marketing in my opinion, it got me interested, I'm playing and I might consider picking up the DLC expansion.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
By what most are saying... you are wrong and the demand is strong.
People have been asking for snow and it helped give D1 a identity which is lost with D2.

I am hoping for weather changes that includes snow.
Exactly, this is the #1 selling PvE multiplayer game of 2019, and did very well critically...each major patch has been well-received and the Loot 2.0 changes is basically most of what people have been asking for. The other thing people have been asking for (repeatable PvE missions ala Horde mode or some equivalent) are also promised to be coming.

People are really looking for excuses to look down on this. And lol at this being the last game of the series because **checks notes** the villain that was established in the first Division game is now the leading part of the story? So, like every new IP basically?

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
I long ago reached endgame, did the raid, etc and about a month ago deleted the game.

if I redownload and install, will my on line progress and character still be there or would I need to start over?
the new dlc seems cool, but not if I start all over.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Snow or no snow, I will be glad to return to NY. Fun setting.
(Though I would like snow. Loved this about the first game. Snowstorms were awesome.)

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I think the basic issue is that Y1 of The Division 2 was Massive's demonstration of what they could do without the plot of the previous game.

The result was a game in which:
a shadowy organization that has a high tech PMC that managed to successfully install their guy as commander in chief of the remaining US government...and then proceeded to just invade Washington DC anyway, breaking their guy's chances of holding power and setting the stage for their plan to be foiled because there wasn't even an attempt to try dividing people via just using the PMC to be helpful towards the government remnants from driving a wedge between people paranoid of them and who's backing them, and people just grateful for the help after having to deal with the crisis brought on by the DC enemy factions, 2/3rds of which just kinda feel like more edgier redux versions of the NY factions. (I did like the Outcasts though)

Like the Division 1's plot wasn't anything particularly special and basic, but it was coherent: stabilize what's left of new york, neutralize known threats, figure out the virus and track down what happened with the first wave of agents sent in, and of course with an obvious sequel hook in trying to track down Keener who now has the blueprints to make his own bioweapon and has actively proclaimed a plan to use it.

I didn't mind the Division 2 not wanting to immediately follow up on that, but man they did not even come close to actually making another ok plot and I'm leery of what they're going do once they finish up the whole thing with Keener.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, it added nothing to the game IMO and was if anything a rather depressing aesthetic choice.

The atmosphere of the first game was infinitely better than Div 2 with snow in it. The blizzards that would roll in looked incredible and obscured line of sight of players which could be used to your advantage or disadvantage in the Dark Zone. I still really enjoy Div 2 and the summer setting isn't a dealbreaker for me by any means, but there's a reason people liked the snowy atmosphere of the first game.

And the "depressing aesthetic choice" is clearly by design. The desolate apocalyptic NYC environment with Christmas decorations up everywhere and snow on the ground fit the vibe perfectly.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see that i own the expansion in my Uplay library,bought it yesterday.
Funny thing is that i've received the coins for the purchase and the confirmation email.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
A bit OT but I'm still disappointed this game turned out to be just about getting the best stats, I know it was always going to be an RPG looter shooter but it would have been my ideal game if it was more survival , tactical and story based and less "statty" I've still bought both games though.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit OT but I'm still disappointed this game turned out to be just about getting the best stats, I know it was always going to be an RPG looter shooter but it would have been my ideal game if it was more survival , tactical and story based and less "statty" I've still bought both games though.

This has always been my issue with it and its a point of big contention.

The shooting mechanics of Division are stupidly simple and PvP fights feel probably the jankiest of all 3rd person shooters I've played.

Some people love the min max aspect but I feel its too much in this game. There are so many little attributes to tweak it is overwhelming. You get a new loot drop and have no idea if it is an improvement over current gear. For instance, I remember getting an armor drop that said it was like +2000 armor but my overall "toughness" attribute went down. Wtf. I don't want a spread sheet to determine if something is good.

It does sound like they are making to simplify this without sacrificing too much complexity which is good.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If they wanted to Survival mode in the summer, they could just set it in the middle of a tropical storm or hurricane. Hell, the dev walkthrough for the expansion said a major hurricane came through NYC. Just set it then.

Instead of a warmth meter, you could set a wet meter where your gear degrades if it gets too soaked with water.

Or, more ambitiously, ditch the meter altogether and have environmental hazards caused by the storm throughout the map.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Fast taveling to the Mission entrance and immediately starting the mission is stupid? What?

I think you misread what I was saying, you can't fast travel to "Invaded" mission starting points until completed, even if you want to do the standard equivalent. That deliberate restriction for each weekly set of "Invaded" missions absolutely is stupid.

Mar 29, 2018
giphy-downsized-large.gif
The what?

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope snow returns. There is nothing worse setting wise than DC in the Summer. It completely turned me off from the game.