• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of months ago I asked Era whether Divinity 2 could be a game for me, even if I couldn't really get into the first game. Turns out the answer: hell yes. I absolutely adore isometric RPGs, many of which I consider to be among the best games I've ever played, but for some reason I had issues with Pillars of Eternity and DOS1 - I'm not sure if I was simply not in the mood for them or if was expecting too much, but be that as it may, I've been binging Divinity 2 for the past 10 days or so and it's the first game in the genre to give me the Baldur's Gate 2 vibes.

I've been on the look-out for the next Baldur's Gate 2 for more than a decade, I kid you not. I expected Neverwinter Nights to quench my thirst, and while I did finish it + both add-ons, I believe it is common knowledge that that game was a huge step back and pretty fucking ugly on top of it. I think the next big thing was Dragon Age 1, which despite its bizarrely positive reception, was honestly not very good compared to Baldur's Gate 2. Hardly any better than NWN, if at all. Next came PoE and DOS1, both of which I would assume were a bit better, but not quite good enough either. At least not good enough for me to get past the starting area. In the meantime I finished Icewind Dale 1, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so it wasn't me who was the problem - the games just weren't good enough. I couldn't get into NWN2 or its reputable add-on because the aesthetics were so off-putting unfortunately.

Original Sin 2 got everything. Freedom, atmosphere, great combat, mystery, exploration and very good graphics and a nice art design. It's fantastic at every single department that is constitutive of an A+ iso CPRG. It rewards creativity in problem solving, whether combat or otherwise, pretty much never bores you by keeping up a very good pace, offers an outrageous amount of possible builds and party combinations (which is something that made BG2 so replayable) and makes you dive into its world with such intensity, that I oftentimes completely misjudged just how long I'd been playing.

I'm about 30h in, chapter 2, and unless this game takes a huge nosedive, DOS2 is firmly among the great modern CRPGs like New Vegas and The Witcher 3, and honestly among the best ever in its very stacked genre as well. I cannot recommend it enough - yes, it's as good as everybody says and no, if you thought the first one was a little overrated, don't worry, this one isn't.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you get to enjoy the greatness that is Divinity: OS 2. That game is so much of an improvement over D:OS 1 (which is also great) that it is definitely one of my Top RPGs this gen. I was never really into isometric RPGs until I played D:OS1, but D:OS2 is truly something special.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played BG2 in like a decade, but I actually have been thinking that D:OS2 is the best in the genre now.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
It has a few issues that prevent it from being one of the all-time best for me, but it's definitely a great game that any fan of CRPG's should play.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I prefer Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 but Divinity 2 is really solid. I'm making my way with 3 other friends and it's really fun. Pretty sure we're super close to the end. The story is a huge let down for me but the gameplay is amazing and it's a super fun coop game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No lies detected.

It's just pretty sad that lots of people dismissed it so easily just because it's isometric and turn-based. Lots of the best RPGs of all time are exactly that, isometric /fixed camera and turn-based, no matter if it's JRPG or WRPG.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
It's an amazing game, possibly in my all-time Top 10. While I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that at one point I played Original Sin 2 for ten hours in one sitting (no exaggeration), it's just that damn good.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I probably should continue to play D:OS 1. Started out on PS4 which was a horrible experience, though. (Luckily I have the enhanced PC version).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao you just read my mind OP. I literally got on to post in the Divnity 2 OT and call it my '18 GOTY.

I wouldn't have thought I'd love it so much. I am pretty invested in my characters' situation and can't wait to whack all the Magisters in Fort Joy. Only like 2 missions left till I escape.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is it recommended to create your own character or play as a pre-fabricated character for a first playthrough?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
For as great as it is mechanically, I feel like DOS2's biggest achievement is how it approaches roleplaying. It is a game that made a fully voiced, party-based RPG with an epic campaign, that still manages to seamlessly insert an immense amount of dialog choices, consequences, and character customisation options. In something satisfying both singleplayer and co-op. With literally the most innovative dialog system of all time. And such good writing. Like Omg it is the best.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 truly does it all. The OP nailed it.

If it's not the best CRPG ever made, it's sooo close.
Is it recommended to create your own character or play as a pre-fabricated character for a first playthrough?
I'd say use an origin for your own character, because they have some really fun stories. e.g. Fane's is awesome, in the truest sense of the word.

And definitely go with a premade party members, because you can give them any class you want (and customise it from there, fully) while still seeing most of their origin for yourself. (Remember, every origin doubles as a party member. You'll find all of them in the first island.) Their VO and general dialog is also a lot of fun, and it'd be a shame to miss out on that.

Custom characters make more sense on a second run, IMO.

Last edited:

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I would even put it above BG2 since BG2's gameplay systems are so dated at this point that it's hard for me to enjoy playing it these days. For example, mages in BG2 are both the most powerful (able to sling so many battle-changing spells) but also the absolute worst (not a major fight? Chuck rocks with your useless sling which you never hit with) class to play due to how Advanced D&D worked. Rogues weren't that much better since their sneak attack was only available at the start of combat: you'd only really bring them for the traps. Also, THAC0.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Agreed. I was so absolutely engrossed by this game when it came out.

I'm on board throwing my money at them as soon as possible - even if it's Kickstarter for the next game Larian makes.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm playing this game right now and can confirm.
The freedom of approach in and out of combat is staggering and the writing is sublime.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
This game clicks everything for me,except the turn based combat which I never liked in games. I'll give it a try sometime,hoping it's quality will convince me otherwise

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I am currently playing the first one and it has its hooks in me. Still trying to figure out Jake's murder though >_<

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
While I am totally agree with you, I am surprised that you didn't mention how awesome the soundtrack is.

I kinda missed out this track at first, but when I heard it again at the Reaper's Coast meadows, I just stood there listening to this…
… and then my whole party got slaughtered by a demonic scarecrow. Truly unforgivable experience.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The Red Prince and Fane are really fun characters, the Red Prince in particular his voice actor does some serious heavy lifting. Really nails in his inflections of the prose, just how arrogant the Red Prince is. While simulateously due to being humbled recently that there's that hint of sense of self doubt that conveys how much inner struggle there is.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
only gripe i have with DOS2 is the loot/itemization (and marginally the armor system)

Yeah, itemization is one of my main gripes. It's not terrible, it just is never really exciting or super meaningful. I like the situation in some other games when there a specific unique items to chase after that can really make a build come together in interesting ways.

Which has a better story? PoE 2 or OS2?

PoE2's main plot thread is pretty weak, but everything else is great. All the world building and inter-faction stuff is really well fleshed out.
OS2's plot is pretty good overall. Not one of the all-time greats but it doesn't ever feel particularly bad. However, I will say that I never really felt all the attached to any specific characters or groups.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest me and my friend completed DOS1 twice, We got halfway through DOS2 and we just gave up, The story hasn't grabbed us, The fact we can see each others inventory screen put us off abit( don't know if that can be altered)... We missed the rock/paper/scissors. Not a fan of having the cooler abilites/spells locked behind source points either.

Eventually we may go back too it though.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The new magic/physical armor introduced in DOS2 sucks. But it's still one of the best CRPG released since Ultima 4 and 7.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the armor system, it really feels like the game discouraging you from creating crazy elemental combos like the first game allowed you to.

It is also absolute bullshit that enemies can magically know that you're an undead even if you have a mask on. So many times I got hit with healing magic when the enemy should have no idea I'm a skeleton.

ALL THAT SAID however, I think it is without a doubt one of the best video games I've ever played.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say I still prefer Planescape and Dragonfall just on the strength of the world and writing. It's up there though

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game. Though I hesitate to call it the GOAT RPG, mostly because certain things in it reminded me of an annoying DM who's out to bash in his players' skulls - ie, the overreliance on AoE effects in combat, the annoying final boss (in the original release, hear they fixed him in the Definitive Edition) and the fact that the endings are all kinda meh.

Also I'm indifferent on fantasy stories that revolve around gods and trying to achieve godhood, so a little bias there.

I would put it in the higher echelon of isometric CRPGs for sure, though.

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
This is my feeling as well but I have not completed it yet. Finally left on a boat after spending like 50 hours on the first island. The voiced dialog is so good and the battle system is awesome. Rupture tendons to chicken claw combo is so satisfying.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
It's in top 3 of CRPGs that style. BG2 is still the GOAT game however.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the armor system, it really feels like the game discouraging you from creating crazy elemental combos like the first game allowed you to.

It is also absolute bullshit that enemies can magically know that you're an undead even if you have a mask on. So many times I got hit with healing magic when the enemy should have no idea I'm a skeleton.

ALL THAT SAID however, I think it is without a doubt one of the best video games I've ever played.
Technically you can find that out also with the right lore skill? (been a while since I played it).

It allows you to figure out Dalis is an undead with a mask

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got bored and dropped the first game in about 5 hours. Should I try this one?

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I got bored and dropped the first game in about 5 hours. Should I try this one?

Yes. Second is 10x better. I found the first one boring as well but loved the second. The main improvement is probably the writing. It's so much more interesting in DOS2.

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I started OS2 this week after a good friend of mine said it's his favourite game in recent memory.

It really is fantastic. I'm loving the breadth of things you can do & the combat is possibly my favourite implementation in any RPG ever

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than BG2 IMO mainly because I can't stand the D&D ruleset (although Planescape: Torment IS my favorite CRPG, which I guess is ironic)

DOS and DOS 2 are firmly in my top 3 though

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it's a masterpiece, especially Chapter 2. Unfortunately I found the ending seriously lacking, but everything before that is fantastic.

Pre-fabricated, definitely. I'd highly recommend playing Fane. I won't get into spoilers, but he's basically the de facto main character of the game.

Which has a better story? PoE 2 or OS2?
As a standalone story, D:OS2. PoE 2's story is fine, but to get everything out of it you need background info from PoE1 (though Obsidian implemented a quite genius annotations system for that). That said, both aren't that memorable story-wise. I'd say the best modern (isometric) CRPG story is found in Tyranny.