• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Just finished my first playthrough. Clocked in at a bit over 100 hours. Chapter 3 and 4 were a breeze until the last battle and then I got kicked in the teeth, repeatedly. Despite not struggling at all in chapter 4, it actually was a bit frustrating to run into a wall repeatedly during the final battle. After I finally beat it, I went a watched some vods of people playing the last battle and well, I guess I underestimated the usefulness of grenades and throwables. I never used these after Fort Joy and in the vods I watched, people were crowd controlling really easily and using smoke with blessed grenades for AOE buffs. I only used abilities for AOE and CC which limited the usefulness of my physical damage party members.

Also, I never used
cup of tea
which seems extremely OP in hindsight. I found the vendor in Arx who had all the ingredients, but never thought to see what the effects were. Would have made a big difference.

Great game overall. Gameplay was superb. Story fell a bit flat for me personally. Something Dragon Age Origins did so well (whose story I loved) was force routine interaction with your party with camp downtime. The way character interactions went with this one, well I reached the end without much of any connection to my group. Also, I ended up feeling disappointed in my main character because I spent most of the game controlling Ifan instead for innate pet pal and had him as my persuasion party lead. I feel a better first experience would be to have your main character control all dialogue, but there was no reason to double dip in pet pal, so this design choice kind of funnels you to use Ifan, at least for me.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I, after having put 80 hours into classic and not finishing, recently restarted the game with the Definitive Edition, and I had a couple of questions.

1) Is there any reason to keep unique items? Like, are we going to fuck up something later or not have something we could use for a quest at some point if we sell them?
2) Is there any reliable way to make money? We're constantly low on funds.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I, after having put 80 hours into classic and not finishing, recently restarted the game with the Definitive Edition, and I had a couple of questions.

1) Is there any reason to keep unique items? Like, are we going to fuck up something later or not have something we could use for a quest at some point if we sell them?
2) Is there any reliable way to make money? We're constantly low on funds.
1) sell em if they dont work for your build. The only things you shouldnt sell are set items with 1/X number of pieces.
2) one of your characters needs sneak and thievery. Just steal most of the spells and skills and items you need. after act 1 the money problem gets better. You can also grow expensive augmentor plants to cheese your way to lots of money.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
1) sell em if they dont work for your build. The only things you shouldnt sell are set items with 1/X number of pieces.
2) one of your characters needs sneak and thievery. Just steal most of the spells and skills and items you need. after act 1 the money problem gets better. You can also grow expensive augmentor plants to cheese your way to lots of money.

#2 is right. Steal everything.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Got this on One X. Runs well enough so far, reasonable load times included. Interface is bit messy but that's to be expected.

I'm getting some good vibes for now. It's the kind of game I never really played even back in the day. Feels great to play something so "old-schooley".

Only nitpick so far is Classic is too hard for me, but Explorer a bit too easy, bar a boss fight or two.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Got this on One X. Runs well enough so far, reasonable load times included. Interface is bit messy but that's to be expected.

I'm getting some good vibes for now. It's the kind of game I never really played even back in the day. Feels great to play something so "old-schooley".

Only nitpick so far is Classic is too hard for me, but Explorer a bit too easy, bar a boss fight or two.

Make sure you are upgrading your gear. Gear shouldn't be more than 2 levels from your current level. This is where stealing helps a lot. Use other members of your part to distract others including the person you want to steal from.

What do you find too difficult in Classic about the fights? Are you more than 1 level away from them?

I am on Act 2 of my Honor run. Every fight is super tense, I have to analyze things 5 different ways before I start fights. Having played through 2.5 times now it really helps that I know where fights are coming (the surprise ones at least) and can prepare for them.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Make sure you are upgrading your gear. Gear shouldn't be more than 2 levels from your current level. This is where stealing helps a lot. Use other members of your part to distract others including the person you want to steal from.

What do you find too difficult in Classic about the fights? Are you more than 1 level away from them?

I am on Act 2 of my Honor run. Every fight is super tense, I have to analyze things 5 different ways before I start fights. Having played through 2.5 times now it really helps that I know where fights are coming (the surprise ones at least) and can prepare for them.
I'm simply discovering the game mechanics. I've played a few fights on Classic now that I have a semi-decent party, and it's kinda manageable. I'll see how it goes and adjust the difficulty as needed.

I'm having a blast but those quest log glitches are insane. I mean the quest log is as barebones as it can, get and it's still glitchy as fuck lmao

Oh well, no big deal. It's simply silly to have uncompletable quests still open or quest markers getting stuck after the relevant quest progressed.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm simply discovering the game mechanics. I've played a few fights on Classic now that I have a semi-decent party, and it's kinda manageable. I'll see how it goes and adjust the difficulty as needed.

I'm having a blast but those quest log glitches are insane. I mean the quest log is as barebones as it can, get and it's still glitchy as fuck lmao

Oh well, no big deal. It's simply silly to have uncompletable quests still open or quest markers getting stuck after the relevant quest progressed.

Hmm, no glitches on PC that I'm aware of, that sucks. Hope it doesn't detract too much from this masterpiece.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, no glitches on PC that I'm aware of, that sucks. Hope it doesn't detract too much from this masterpiece.
Nothing major. Just some quests that I messed up but are still marked as in progress. And a weird quest marker on a NPC that should have been gone when I did what I had to do.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, there are definitely some quirks with quest markers, but my "glitched" quests was just me being dumb (the quest log doesn't exactly help though).

Aside from that, I'm having one hell of a blast. The plot is pretty meh so far, but the game mechanics are amazeballs.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The game is amazing, and I really don't want to bitch about it, but damn is that quest log messy.

I can deal with quest items being losable (sold by mistake, etc), but the quest log going haywire because you did some stuff out of order is annoying. Nothing major so far. But goddamn annoying.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
The game is amazing, and I really don't want to bitch about it, but damn is that quest log messy.

I can deal with quest items being losable (sold by mistake, etc), but the quest log going haywire because you did some stuff out of order is annoying. Nothing major so far. But goddamn annoying.

I'm glad I played on PC.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad I played on PC.
It mostly works as intended, and more often than not when I think there's something wrong it's just a matter of the quest log being way too evasive (which can be annoying, but isn't a glitch per se).

But sometimes you for example pick up a list saying "I should talk to X, Y and Z" when you already dealt with Y before picking up that list you were apparently supposed to pick up beforehand.

It doesn't break the quest, but it's not very practical to be reminded to do something you already did.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a bump, but has anyone messed around with steam workshop mods? I noticed that there's a bunch of stuff in particular made by someone named Odinblade that revamps and adds a bunch of skill lines to the game. Was hoping to get impressions from folks who might have tried them, especially in regard to balance.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a bump, but has anyone messed around with steam workshop mods? I noticed that there's a bunch of stuff in particular made by someone named Odinblade that revamps and adds a bunch of skill lines to the game. Was hoping to get impressions from folks who might have tried them, especially in regard to balance.
I've only used quality of life mods, never really any gameplay impacting stuff.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It mostly works as intended, and more often than not when I think there's something wrong it's just a matter of the quest log being way too evasive (which can be annoying, but isn't a glitch per se).

But sometimes you for example pick up a list saying "I should talk to X, Y and Z" when you already dealt with Y before picking up that list you were apparently supposed to pick up beforehand.

It doesn't break the quest, but it's not very practical to be reminded to do something you already did.

So does talking to, for example, "Y', before picking up the note activate the quest (that is through the note)? Or does the quest only activate by when the note is picked up?

If you talk to "Y" beforehand, as long they have different verbiage (than the quest information) I see nothing wrong with that. I have talked to quest NPCs tons of times in RPGs before having the quest to have them say the right dialog (I need for the quest). Basically, they are just normal NPCs at that time, but then become a quest NPC and say specific dialog for your current quest after it becomes activated.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
So does talking to, for example, "Y', before picking up the note activate the quest (that is through the note)? Or does the quest only activate by when the note is picked up?

If you talk to "Y" beforehand, as long they have different verbiage (than the quest information) I see nothing wrong with that. I have talked to quest NPCs tons of times in RPGs before having the quest to have them say the right dialog (I need for the quest). Basically, they are just normal NPCs at that time, but then become a quest NPC and say specific dialog for your current quest after it becomes activated.
The quest was traced in the log when I picked up the list, but I already dealt with one of the items beforehand and it wasn't marked as completed when the list quest activated. It's not gamebreaking due to how the quest is setup, but it's annoying.

Basically I was supposed to find a bunch of people and one of them is already dead by the time I got the quest. The quest shouldn't ask me to go find them and should note that I can't (or that it's already taken care of maybe). It's no big deal. Just a minor annoyance in a sea of cryptic quest log tracings.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Update on my For Honor run. I play here and there. I prep for fights A LOT so I don't get screwed. I'm level 15 or 16 now and only have blood moon island and the fight in the blackpits cave. I chickened out and got the feather gear by skipping the fight.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The quest was traced in the log when I picked up the list, but I already dealt with one of the items beforehand and it wasn't marked as completed when the list quest activated. It's not gamebreaking due to how the quest is setup, but it's annoying.

Basically I was supposed to find a bunch of people and one of them is already dead by the time I got the quest. The quest shouldn't ask me to go find them and should note that I can't (or that it's already taken care of maybe). It's no big deal. Just a minor annoyance in a sea of cryptic quest log tracings.

Oh, ok. Yeah, I agree. Definitely should have updated, especially since he was dead.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So I've tried this game a number of times and really like it, but I always feel like I screw up my build somehow and never had made it out of act 1. Are there any tips for respeccing and acquiring skills early on? I just kind of wish I could experiment and play with builds and skills at the start, but skill books are super expensive and you can only maybe pickpocket one from vendors.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So I've tried this game a number of times and really like it, but I always feel like I screw up my build somehow and never had made it out of act 1. Are there any tips for respeccing and acquiring skills early on? I just kind of wish I could experiment and play with builds and skills at the start, but skill books are super expensive and you can only maybe pickpocket one from vendors.

Are you playing with a part of 4?
There is a gift bag that you can activate to get a magic mirror by the arena in act 1 to allow you to respec (disables achievements, but if on PC, you can get a mod to re-enable achievements). There is a magic mirror in acts 2, 3, 4 to respec 100% for free as many times as you want in the base game.

Tips I would give:
Don't worry too much about act 1, just do all the quests you can, talk to everyone and get off the island. Once you do the game opens up much more as you have more vendors and more stuff. Sell crap/old gear to merchants to increase your rating with them for more money. Steal money from them or as you said scroll books. In Act 1 I remember being able to at least steal 3/4 of the skillbooks that merchants held so maybe get to level 3 first before you start stealing b/c you can only do it once per character.

I got really hung up on wanting to make perfect characters and it held me up. Eventually gold and scroll books are not an issue. You'll have more gold than you know what to do with and more scroll books than you can teach and you can respec and try all sorts of different builds.

For a beginner, I would go more on the physical build as you get more physical crowd control than magic early on. My first party build was: tank (1h + shield), 2h dd, ranged bow user, magic user. The magic user was more of a support than anything else for my 3 physical dd users. I'm on my 5th or 6th play through now.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I would love to help because I LOVE this game!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to do a new playthrough (on Switch, this is important for later), this will be I believe my third or fourth, this time I'm doing lone wolf with Fane and Loose on Tactician difficulty. Fort Joy was challenging at first (as always) but by the end I felt overpowered as usual, and I've progressed quickly through maybe half of the Reaper's Coast, but there is one thing that's really giving me trouble-

Keeping Gwydian alive in On the Ropes. I've tried this fight twice but the combination of necrofire and decaying constantly kills him because he refuses to stay still, and the voidwoken seem to target him first. And I'm really worried about trying again because on Switch the game can often crash during this fight, unless that was fixed in a patch.

So like, is it even possible to keep him alive on tactician difficulty with only two party members able to cast bless/fortify/magic shell? Or is it worth going back and trying to keep him alive or should I just piss off Hannag and stop wasting my time?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to do a new playthrough (on Switch, this is important for later), this will be I believe my third or fourth, this time I'm doing lone wolf with Fane and Loose on Tactician difficulty. Fort Joy was challenging at first (as always) but by the end I felt overpowered as usual, and I've progressed quickly through maybe half of the Reaper's Coast, but there is one thing that's really giving me trouble-

Keeping Gwydian alive in On the Ropes. I've tried this fight twice but the combination of necrofire and decaying constantly kills him because he refuses to stay still, and the voidwoken seem to target him first. And I'm really worried about trying again because on Switch the game can often crash during this fight, unless that was fixed in a patch.

So like, is it even possible to keep him alive on tactician difficulty with only two party members able to cast bless/fortify/magic shell? Or is it worth going back and trying to keep him alive or should I just piss off Hannag and stop wasting my time?

You can cheese him by teleporting him into a tent near the cave and having a box in the entrance.

I know I've done this on tactician I just can't recall how I did it. I may have cheesed it, I can't remember :(

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You can cheese him by teleporting him into a tent near the cave and having a box in the entrance.

I know I've done this on tactician I just can't recall how I did it. I may have cheesed it, I can't remember :(

I'm doing my best to avoid any cheesing in this playthrough, the only thing I cheesed was Alice Aliceson because I'm pretty sure it's impossible without cheesing.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing my best to avoid any cheesing in this playthrough, the only thing I cheesed was Alice Aliceson because I'm pretty sure it's impossible without cheesing.

I just skipped that fight in my for honor run. Wasn't going to take the risk.

Maybe watch a video on youtube? I'm confident it can be done.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just skipped that fight in my for honor run. Wasn't going to take the risk.

Maybe watch a video on youtube? I'm confident it can be done.

I think with four party members each having bless and some sort of healing/armor regen skill it would be a lot more doable, but limiting myself to just two makes it way harder. I might look it up if I have the time but I think I'll just proceed with the playthrough with him dead, I'll get my source points elsewhere.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I think with four party members each having bless and some sort of healing/armor regen skill it would be a lot more doable, but limiting myself to just two makes it way harder. I might look it up if I have the time but I think I'll just proceed with the playthrough with him dead, I'll get my source points elsewhere.

I also remembered, in my for honor run I have a created character so I get the shield skill which helps a lot.

Oct 29, 2017
HELP WANTED - BUG BROKE GAME

LTTP. Really loving this game right now. A perfect mix of lore, combat, and out-of-the box thinking in fights.

I ran into a major bug on the PS4 (playing with PS5) that I can't figure out, and hope someone can help me save my 50hr playtime this far.

somehow my grouping mechanic is broken. Pressing [triangle] to regroup one of my characters so everyone follows together removes all other characters from the grouping menu UI. After I do this there is no way to switch to other characters … I have to reload and walk them independently around the map.

Any ideas on how to reset the UI somehow?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just fixed it be changing the "formation" in the start menu. Bizarre …

Last edited: