• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Larian's latest game that was inspired by Final Fantasy: Tactics is on hold. Damn. I tried it out at Pax East 4 times. What a shame.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they will be able to devote more time and resources to it in the future, the combat aspect of Divinity is S+

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't put too much of a dent in their financial outlook, Larian is a lean outfit.

I didn't know Expeditions was a series, I enjoyed Conquistador but had some performance issues at the time. It seems Viking was better received.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, seems like development wasn't working out very well. It's a shame because Logic Artists do great work and Expeditions: Viking is a genuinely very good game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know this was a thing and now it's dead.

Ironically, I probably would've liked a Final Fantasy Tactics-inspired Divinity game significantly more than the REAL Divinity games, so I'm kind of bummed now. :(

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
I was honestly rushing to try to fit another playthrough of DoS2 in before this came out, so I'm okay with it being on hold. Hopefully they get it to a place they want it to be at, eventually.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Larian wants to revisit the project after BG3 and develop it internally? Or it might just be worded to sound that way even if they don't intend to do so.

W4cko

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Hopefully this doesn't put too much of a dent in their financial outlook, Larian is a lean outfit.

I didn't know Expeditions was a series, I enjoyed Conquistador but had some performance issues at the time. It seems Viking was better received.
They gave some Google money now

Feb 12, 2019
I was wondering about this game, since it seems like they weren't talking about it all that much after the BG III announcement and it sure didn't seem like they were planning on putting it out this year.

Still very into the idea of a fully-tactics focused Divinity game, so hopefully it'll show up again in the future.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Bummer. I didn't realize it wasn't being developed fully by Larian proper though.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Who are you talking to? No one has said it's dead.

It's not even the 10th post into the thread. Post no. 6.

Larian don't have a history of cancelling projects. However they have a spotty history with publisher funding with some of their earlier games. Divinity II for example was put out before it was finished, and working on both Dragon Commander and D:OS at the same time they were close to bankruptcy, not wanting to deal with another publisher opted the crowd funding route instead.

It makes sense for Larian for them to focus on one project all at once and avoid the same issue that almost happened when they were juggling Original Sin and Dragon Commander at the same time. I'd say it's a safe bet once they are finished with Baldur's Gate III, they will return to work on Fallen Heroes.

Divinity is their flagship series, so they aren't going to simply ignore it for too long.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Sure hold doesn't mean dead, but I will be shocked if we ever hear about this game starting up again. It will probably just be another title mentioned in the occasional "just think how amazing this game might have been" threads. That outcome was even more likely since this wasn't being done in house. Logic Artists are going to have to move on to something else to keep the lights on, so who knows if stuff will line back up for either of them to want to pick it up again. That's just my gut. I would love to be wrong.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I was really looking forward to it after beating Druidstone and wanting more of the kind. Hope it won't be dropped.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
This had a great concept behind it and I was very much looking forward to it.

But if the choice is between BG III being a better product/shipping sooner or getting this along with BG III I will go with the former. I just hope it doesn't end up getting shelved indefinitely.

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
This is sad to see - but sometimes things don't pan out.

The demo at PAX was super fun, but game development is tough. I don't think the project is "dead", but I could definitely see how meeting next month's release could have been tough and depending on the final games state, tarnished the "Divinity" brand a little.

Hope they can get back to this after BG3.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least we're still getting Baldur's Gate III from them. Maybe they'll pick up Fallen Heroes after BGIII goes gold.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I, personally, think it's dead. i don't see Larian taking on development themselves- assuming they come back to Divinity after BG3 it will be for a new OS3, not Fallen Heroes. Logic Arts has moved on. Hope I'm wrong though.

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
I, personally, think it's dead. i don't see Larian taking on development themselves- assuming they come back to Divinity after BG3 it will be for a new OS3, not Fallen Heroes. Logic Arts has moved on. Hope I'm wrong though.
I think they'll come back to it. It's a direct sequel to OS2 from what I saw and ties into the greater plot in the series. People were able to play it at PAX and said it was fun. I think once things slow down some they'll get back to it.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this somehow comes together. The OS series has so many great elements in place for combat that could blossom with the extra focus of a full-on tactics game. The hands-on feedback was good, too!

Dragon Commander was such a good game, as well. Still only one bad game with "Divinity" in the name, and I guess that comes with some really high standards that kept this one in the oven.

I wonder, was this a money issue? Logic Artists needed more that Larian couldn't give and has to pivot back to their own series to stay afloat? I wish this sort of thing didn't always have to be so murky, even if I understand why.