• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
it has kids in the video, so youtube's "made for kids" restrictions apply

try to save it to a playlist or press the download button, it's considered "for kids"

Interesting, never knew about that. Thanks for the info.

They have been turning off comments for a while. I guess the "Where's Smash and BOTW 2" became tiring. Also, to prevent people from saying stupid stuff about the couple.

Yeah, I figured it was because of that, but apparently it's because it has children in the video.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice but pretty unremarkable in 2020, billion dollar multi-nationals have been doing this for years.

I don't think this brings us any closer to a Tell Me Why or a TLOU2 caliber, Nintendo funded game with LGBTQ folk front and centre.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I thought this ad was super cute. My longtime boyfriend and I have gifted my nephews a bunch of Nintendo-related stuff over the years, so this commercial felt pretty real to me haha. :')

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice but pretty unremarkable in 2020, billion dollar multi-nationals have been doing this for years.

I don't think this brings us any closer to a Tell Me Why or a TLOU2 caliber, Nintendo funded game with LGBTQ folk front and centre.
Funny, if Nintendo does it, it doesn't get any acclaim.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good ad, but not sure what the "diversity done right" title means tbh. Especially when referring to Nintendo with their notorious lack of representation in their games. Representation in games is also "diversity done right"
Agreed. It took until 2020 before we were able to choose skin colour in a mainline Animal Crossing.

20 fucking 20.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's an interesting anecdote and I don't doubt that marketing got really excited that they could do this. But I'd like Nintendo to put more LGBTQ+ people in their games instead

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This made my day.
Yes yes others did it much earlier and that's not the point.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's a cute ad and I think NoA try to do what they can, but it's usually NoJ who tend to be the problem, right?

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User Banned (Permanent) Homophobia over multiple posts, history of infractions
+1 For including a gay couple
-1 Theyre male asians. And so the emasculation of the asian man in western media continues.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Nice ad but lol I'd like to see actual representation in Nintendo games. Truly am still salty about that tomodachi life commentary and fire emblem has made baby steps in the right direction (after the awful representation in Fates) but still has soooo much work to do.

Nintendo is synonymous with gays, and I admire that.
Lmfao what?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I love how even in their own ads, when the girl is playing Animal Crossing online with her uncle, she's talking to him in a phone call instead of using the dumbass Nintendo Switch Online app voice chat.

Bahaha, oh Nintendo.

+1 For including a gay couple
-1 Theyre male asians. And so the emasculation of the asian man in western media continues.

Um, what?

Nintendo is synonymous with gays, and I admire that.
Agreed, animal crossing especially lol

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
As long as its just tangentially in their US ads, i dont see a difference. Nintendo of Japan was the problem, and games dont really have better representation, so... yay for superficial diversity? The bare minimum? Done right is a bit much.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's time Nintendo; make Link and Sidon a thing in the Breath of the Wild sequel.

Also include more M/M options in the next Fire Emblem game. And allow people to use their own pronouns and marry anyone in the next Tomodachi Collection game (it's text-to-speech; i'm sure some assholes would misuse the ability to input pronouns, but it should still be there). And make Pearl x Marina and CJ. x Flick as canon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Switch ads have always been so good, just throw another on the pile. What a reversal from the Wii U years.

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone noticed that the PS5 and Xbox Series ad campaigns are exactly the same thing, at least in the U.S.? Dude flies away into some CGI world of space fantasy shit -- I wouldn't be able to distinguish them if not for the logos, and I think maybe Master Chief is in one?

"Are you on the phone with uncle Kenny?"

"Yes mom, we can't figure out how to talk to each other in the game."

Seriously every single person's Switch Online experience.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Plot twist: Uncle Kenny and uncle mic are actually brothers.

Jk. great to see more diversity for lbgt community.

Nice ad but lol I'd like to see actual representation in Nintendo games. Truly am still salty about that tomodachi life commentary and fire emblem has made baby steps in the right direction (after the awful representation in Fates) but still has soooo much work to do.

Lmfao what?
That's true. We haven't really gotten anything overt. I'm glad customization of characters are getting better at least.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
The ad is good but there's a big difference between Nintendo of America hiring an American ad agency to do an ad vs Nintendo Japan actually doing anything even remotely inclusive in their games.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is significant because the representation is featured prominently, not in the background and appears to be one of their X'mas 'family friend'y ads on rotation.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's a long, looooong way to go before we start seeing gay main characters in Nintendo games. They still have like only 2 black characters. They are extremely poor at diversity.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It took until 2020 before we were able to choose skin colour in a mainline Animal Crossing.

20 fucking 20.
This always feels like a weird claim since 1. it's been 8 years between mainline entries and Happy Home Designer had the option in 2015 and 2. Mii Masks were a thing since the Wii version and I'm pretty sure those changed the skin tone. It wasn't really anything close to perfect but, it feels a weird thing to harp on when there was options. Like complaining that being a PoC in the mainline games was restrictive or tanning thing if you wanted hats was bad is fine, but your claim is false except in the most literal sense. It's like complaining you can't be gay in Animal Crossing when there's no built in romance options. I feel there are better options to get angry about like the lack of PoC in the Mario universe. At least, that can't be disputed

Oct 25, 2017
A gay male relationship too. That deserves major props. Good on Nintendo. I challenge Sony and MS to do the same. I also welcome the beet-red gamer rage at being inclusive.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not put on the baby mittens when talking about Nintendo. It's 2020. A corporation putting a plausibly deniable gay couple in a commercial isn't something they should be getting props for tbh

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
As mentioned in that Sony diversity thread, it's nice that Nintendo have done this and it's a step in the right direction, however the most important thing is giving opportunities behind the scenes to these demographics, which would do more for diversity/equality.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice thing, for sure. I wish to see more of this, though. A 30-second ad is very little compared to everything else Nintendo puts out.

Still, kudos.