• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised not see anything about Tell Me Why from DontNod?

Seems to be somewhat of a pioneer no? At least in the "AAA" space or "big publisher" space.

It's a great move by the studio. It's not out yet however making a deeper analysis impossible. Plus, criticism has been levied at both LiS1 and 2 regarding the handling of some its characters and issues.

Tell Me Why has more external involvement, which bodes well for the handling of characters and issues it's bound to tackle.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Just thought of something to ask since I'm cis...

If a canonically-nonbinary/genderqueer/enby character is voiced by someone who has a binarily gendered self-identity, is that okay or wrong?

I asked this both in Non-Binary |OT| and here, since I wasn't sure which was better.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm also cis, but can relate to being in a minority. I don't have a problem with the actors not being who they portray per se - it's called acting after all. But of course, that argument presumes everyone in the field is given equal treatment. Which is not the case. The way I see it, the issue is not so much gets to play the minority characters in games and movies, but that minorities are not getting much work in general. And when that includes the very same minority they identify with, the discrimination becomes incredibly transparent and tangible.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
^ That's generally the view I have. The concern should primarily be getting those disenfranchished folks roles across the board.

With character who are a minority, I don't necessarily have a problem with them being voice acted by someone else. However, every effort must be made to try and get a voice actor that matches the character.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
This might be a little outside the purview of this thread but it was a real "The More You Know" moment for me.

The character Jules in Dragon Quest Builders 2 uses a now mostly dead language called Polari which was mostly used as a secret language among homosexuals in the 19th century when homosexuality was completely forbidden.

EVygA8CUEAAE4jx

Polari - Wikipedia

I just find the inclusion such a fascinating deep reach.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Reposting this here from a thread from last week because I'd like to hear what other people think.
I dunno how to ask this, but it sort of feels like I have to choose between queer media and popular media. You get me?
Low-budget media doesn't have to be bad (For a slightly high-budget example, Joker's made 1 billion dollars on less than 100 million), but there's a lot of genres that queer indie creators don't seem to cover. Open-world, for instance. Joker is great (pretty much BECAUSE it focuses on society instead of superheroes) but it's definitely not in the same genre as a Marvel movie. What if someone wants a queer Marvel-esque movie?
I made it in a movie thread, but the "Marvel" analogy about "AAA" movies could easily translate into AAA games.

Aug 28, 2019
Reposting this here from a thread from last week because I'd like to hear what other people think.

I made it in a movie thread, but the "Marvel" analogy about "AAA" movies could easily translate into AAA games.

A lot of "queer games" from indie creators seem to be visual novels specifically about being queer, and the like. I don't see as many of other genres of indie games that lean heavily on queer themes, although there are some. If it's specifically AAA queer games you're after, though... well, there sure aren't many.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of "queer games" from indie creators seem to be visual novels specifically about being queer, and the like. I don't see as many of other genres of indie games that lean heavily on queer themes, although there are some. If it's specifically AAA queer games you're after, though... well, there sure aren't many.
Lucah Born of a Dream is another one, though it's not exactly all-ages friendly.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of a catch-22 situation really, I find. Like, it's all well and good saying 'support creators who actually make content that represents you', but the content they can actually afford to make isn't necessarily the content people are after. To use the example mentioned, open world games that are on the scale typically imagined when you say the words 'open world' are among the most expensive games to develop because of the need to fill them with content. People who like open world games often do so because of that deluge of content. So while it sucks to say, passionate one man indie devs are not really gonna be able to deliver that experience. But then, they're never going to afford making such content to begin with if they aren't given support for the content they do make - even if it's Visual Novels or 8 bit RPGs because that's what is actually within their means - so they can actually build themselves up to that level.

In this regard, I do wonder if the choking of the 'middle' tiers of game development around the late 00s had an impact in this way. Like, a market more welcoming to smaller budget but not completely indie games might have had more room to flourish in presenting more diverse stories and protagonists, rather than banking on many years of tough, brooding, short haired white guys with stubble to secure a return on investment

Aug 28, 2019
This is kind of weird to say, but as a queer game creator myself, I just... don't feel drawn to write about queer themes, I guess? Not very often, anyway. I don't have anything of merit to say on the subject, I don't make character-heavy games in the first place, and the characters I do write reflect my daydreams and fantasies moreso than my specific identity. So, even though I want to see more queer themes in games, I'm not really driven to do it myself.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Just thought of something - is it wrong for Joker in Persona 5 to wear glasses if he doesn't need them? He's using them to take advantage of the stereotypes people put on those that wear glasses to look like a meek, mousy person. Isn't that faking a disability for sympathy?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Just thought of something - is it wrong for Joker in Persona 5 to wear glasses if he doesn't need them? He's using them to take advantage of the stereotypes people put on those that wear glasses to look like a meek, mousy person. Isn't that faking a disability for sympathy?
As someone who has worn glasses most of her life, I think using glasses as an accessory is a teeny bit annoying but I do not think I would qualify it as faking a disability.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Is this something that was revealed in Royal? I never got the impression that he had 20/20 vision.

Also people have been wearing glasses as a fashion statement for a long time. It's not like taking one of those electric shopping carts or something.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Do you think Clark Kent is taking advantage of stereotypes by wearing glasses in his civilian outfit?

I wear glasses and I think this is a stretch. Plus I don't think it's even confirmed the glasses Joker wears are fake, for all we know in the Metaverse he has enhanced vision.

Oct 27, 2017

www.eurogamer.net

Sexism and harassment in the games industry isn't just about big names: the entire culture must change

Content warning: This story contains upsetting content. Reader discretion advised.For the second time in less than a ye…

For the second time in less than a year, the games industry is experiencing a wave of Me Too allegations, and the scale of the problem is staggering. Esports, streaming platforms, game development, journalism: wherever you look, stories of sexism and harassment are finally emerging after years of silence and pain. At long last, some of those who abused their power are facing consequences for their actions.

The accounts are often shocking, but for many working in games - particularly women and non-binary people - the revelations come as little surprise. Sexism and harassment is rife in the industry, and the cases being publicly discussed are merely the tip of the iceberg. I've been awed by the bravery of survivors who have named their high-profile abusers, risking online harassment, friendships, or their entire careers to do so. Removing powerful abusers remains essential in making the industry safer, and it's important that this vital work continues. There is a tendency, however, for the media to focus on big-name predators while failing to address the underlying culture that enables them. These incidents are not a rarity: they are endemic. Every young woman in games has a story.

[...]

Another obvious area for improvement is the persistent imbalance in the number (and pay) of women compared to men in the games industry. In the IGDA's 2019 developer satisfaction survey, the global ratio sits at 71 per cent male to 24 per cent female, with three per cent non-binary and two per cent preferring to self-describe (and four per cent identifying as transgender in a seperate question). Last year's UK gender pay gap report found the median wage gap had reached 18.8 per cent in the 19 largest games-related companies. These problems aren't just limited to games development, too, as Eurogamer itself has previously been criticised for gender imbalance, and across games media very few women hold leadership positions.

This isn't just about evening out the numbers for the sake of equality, as having a more diverse workplace provides essential support networks for those who are vulnerable to abuse. As more women joined Eurogamer over the past two years, I've gradually found more people to talk to about these problems. Prompted by the Me Too movement in games, we've been able to discuss our experiences and provide each other with support. Having more women reduces the chances of isolation, and provides opportunities for informal whisper networks so women can advise each other. In some companies, such as Riot, the emergence of toxic work environments has been attributed to a lack of women - and in particular, a lack of women in leadership roles.

[...]

And then, there's the thing that has plagued gaming for many years: the continuing problem of toxicity both in-game and in gaming communities. If companies and platforms fail to moderate their communities or hold players accountable for their actions, you end up with a toxic culture where abusers feel they can get away with it. An example of this appeared in the Team Fortress 2 community in 2018, where community members who had experienced online abuse said Valve had failed to properly moderate the community for years, thus creating an environment where online harassment was normalised (and likely helped set the tone for harassment at real-world events). Revealing the scale of the problem, surveys in both 2018 and 2019 revealed one in three female gamers has experienced abuse from male counterparts, with 14 per cent receiving rape threats. It's hard to separate the abuse we're hearing about within the industry from what we see online, as it all feeds into a broader culture where women and minorities are made to feel unwelcome, and harassment and abuse is the norm. It forms yet another barrier to women who are considering joining the industry. And if a games company fails to even attempt to ensure its community is welcoming, you have to wonder whether the same carelessness is being shown towards its internal culture.

It's another hugely difficult problem to solve, particularly as toxicity goes beyond in-game comments into communities hosted on platforms outside of a single company's control. Encouragingly, more publishers and developers are now researching ways to tackle the issue (such as through the Fair Play Alliance), yet it's clear there's still much to be done.

[...]

And in case you needed further convincing about believing survivors, most studies agree very few allegations of sexual violence are false. As an example, research by the Ministry of Justice in 2012 found less than three per cent of 1149 rape cases were perceived to be malicious allegations. Due to changing attitudes, it seems more survivors are coming forward to report cases than ever before: and yet according to last year's figures, they have less of a chance of seeing their attacker referred or convicted in court than they did 10 years ago (via The Guardian). The Me Too movement is not about extrajudicial trial by social media: it's a demand for currently-failing systems to hold people to account, and for accountability in the gaps where those systems don't exist at all. It's a wake-up call for the authorities, companies and the industry as a whole, intended to flag the scale of the problem.

[...]

Posted recently in another thread:

Thanks for chiming in. Looking into stuff by the same author just now, I noticed this page (for a Game R&D Lab at Dartmouth led by the author, Mary Flanagan):
Cutting Through the Bias: Using Games and Interactive Experiences to Transform Bias Against Women in STEM.
Tiltfactor develops games that explore challenging and complex social issues to understand how and when games can have impact. We design, build, and study novel games drawing on what psychologists have discovered about biases such as implicit bias, stereotype threat, prejudice, and confirmation bias in order to reduce poor decision making, limitations in education and careers, and more. One particular strand is our work on stereotype threat and implicit bias toward women in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). We compiled our research on these subjects into a book called Cutting Through the Bias: Using Games and Interactive Experiences to Transform Bias Against Women in Stem. You can buy a copy here or download a pdf of the book here. The games that we have created as a part of this research include:
  • Awkward Moment, a party card game for middle school age kids and older; preliminary findings suggest that Awkward Moment strengthens associations between women and STEM and inspires greater assertiveness in confronting social bias.
  • Buffalo, a fast-paced party card game for adults and families; initial data suggests that buffalo reduces prejudice and encourages greater inclusiveness in players' representations of social identity groups.
These games are part of the National Science Foundation-funded project, "Transforming STEM For Women and Girls: Reworking Stereotypes & Bias", with additional assistance from the National Girls Collaborative Project. Publications include:
METADATA GAMES
We seek to understand the ways in which games, play, and social computing can work together to solve pressing societal needs. Metadata Games (MG) is a free and open source online game system for gathering useful data for digital archives. Our aims are to create fun and engaging online experiences for players while contributing to vital archival records, and offer opportunities for cultural heritage institutions and players to connect with one another in ways they may not have otherwise. With Metadata Games, we are investigating how player motivation, game design, crowdsourcing, and natural language techniques can produce more –and higher quality– metadata for more accurate search and improve community engagement. We are working with partners at the Boston Public Library, the Massachusetts Digital Commonwealth, and the Digital Public Library of America, among others. One Up, a two-player asynchronous image tagging game for mobile devices. This is a multi-round game where you score points for submitting single-word tags and try to get more points than your opponent. One Up is designed to foster higher quality tag submissions; a more detailed explanation of the methodology and preliminary test results was published as part of the 2013 Digital Games Research Associations (DiGRA) Proceedings.
  • Zen Tag, a single player game where one inputs, at their own pace, words and phrases that describe the image before them.
  • Pyramid Tag, a timed single player mobile game where players try to describe an image and match as many words as possible with a group of experts.
  • NexTag, a minimalized version of Zen Tag, Nex Tag offers players the ability to tag audio and moving image media.
These games are designed to be played online and also on mobile devices.

HEALTH
Our health games advance better understanding of community health issues. We investigate how design, quality, psychology, and innovation in games can result in better health communities and health outcomes. Our games aim to promote self-care, immunization and disease prevention, HIV/AIDS education, health care systems understanding, mental health, and more. We have worked with The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, The Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, the Minister of Health of Rwanda, and the Rippel Foundation. A sample of our games for health work includes:
  • POX: SAVE THE PEOPLE, a board game and iPad app that helps players understand the concept of herd immunity through vaccination.
  • Microbes, a card game developed for the Minister of Health of Rwanda to improve rates of handwashing among youth both at home and abroad.
  • RePlay Health, a freely-downloadable role-playing sport that models the American health care system and allows players to change the system (developed with The Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science and the Rippel Foundation).
  • In The Village, a card game that teaches self sacrificial sharing in the prevention of malaria.
  • Pathways for Quality, a card game to help communities organize as part of The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Aligning Forces for Quality effort.
Publications include:

Also:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I've been reading this thread for a while and I wanted to share an experience I had once that made me understand the importance of representation. I should note, though, that I am a white cis guy and as such I don't really belong to any minority, but I hope you understand I'm not trying to undermine people's challenges with this silly example of mine.

Since I was a kid I've always struggled with speech rate and speech articulation, in both my native language (Spanish) and English. Now, this has not been a major obstacle in my life, but it has consistently led to misunderstandings and self-steem issues and, as an English teacher, trying to speak at an average speed is exhausting, as it requires me to constantly be aware of my problem and trying to speak slowly stresses me out. I don't even realize that I speak too fast, even if I do a conscious effort to speak at a normal rate I still speak too fast. Anyway, the point is that this has forever been a thorn on my side.

Then, as a teenager, I played this little game called Pokémon White. And you may know this character from that game:

N is a big deal throughout the game and, overall, one of the most popular characters from this franchise. But there's one thing people rarely mention when discussing this character and it is that, well, he speaks too fast!
bdc3f49ca81caaa3eaaaf15c05268a7d83869a7br1-787-590v2_hq.jpg
And there's no reason why, really. I guess N's thing is that he's weird and quirky so they thought it would fit him but, whatever the case, he is a character that is cool af and happens to speak too fast. Additionally, this is a game where there's no voice acting, so they had to represent this fact by speeding up his text animation. I don't think I've ever met another character that speaks too fast, unless it's part of a gag. If any of you knows any other example, please feel free to tell me about it.

Again, given my condition as a white cis man I had never felt the importance of representation prior to that point. I knew it was important in theory, but there's a difference between being told diversity is a good thing and understanding why it's a good thing. As I mentioned earlier, my example is nothing in the great scheme of things and it pales in comparison to the struggles that, say, black people, LGTBQ+ people and(or women have to face every single day. But if anything, it helped me visualize why it's so important, that even such a small piece of representation could bring so much comfort to someone like me. I find myself looking at entertainment with a growing critical eye each day and I try to listen to those people in the community that share their concerns about the lacking diversity in the games industry.

So what I'm trying to say is that representation matters and let's keep on fighting the good fight, and that I am happy a thread like this exists.

Oct 27, 2017
Schopenhauerian Thank you for sharing those. I haven't had time to go through all of the links yet but that looks like a great list of resources and I really appreciate the it.

Yeah definitely, a lot of great material, still looking through the links myself.

Definitely impressive to see the long list of publications by Mary Flanagan, for instance, stretching all the way back to 1999.

Some others that might be worth a look:

--https://twitter.com/odaminowin/status/1098233795713601537
--https://twitter.com/six6jiang/status/1273377733184290819
--https://twitter.com/critdistance/status/1282448007686955008
--https://twitter.com/CanadaGameDevs/status/1277342458884558853

Does anyone have anything on indigenous people in video games?

Some of the folks mentioned here may be interesting to follow: "…To kick off this month's special issue on Indigenous Games, @odaminowin, @Tygerlil13, @byrne_meagan, and @MetiaNZ head @MaruNihoniho sat down to chat with our EiC @BetsyBrey..."

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yeah definitely, a lot of great material, still looking through the links myself.

Definitely impressive to see the long list of publications by Mary Flanagan, for instance, stretching all the way back to 1999.

Some others that might be worth a look:

--https://twitter.com/odaminowin/status/1098233795713601537
--https://twitter.com/six6jiang/status/1273377733184290819
--https://twitter.com/critdistance/status/1282448007686955008
--https://twitter.com/CanadaGameDevs/status/1277342458884558853

Some of the folks mentioned here may be interesting to follow: "…To kick off this month's special issue on Indigenous Games, @odaminowin, @Tygerlil13, @byrne_meagan, and @MetiaNZ head @MaruNihoniho sat down to chat with our EiC @BetsyBrey..."

Wow, what a thoughtful effort-post. Thanks man. I'll look at the links and Tweets that you gave me. I think that this is an issue that deserves more attention. We'll see how this goes but I think that this will hopefully spur more action in the 2020s in terms of indigenous representation. That said, I think it might take a while all the same, but we'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
[...] Definitely impressive to see the long list of publications by Mary Flanagan, for instance, stretching all the way back to 1999 [...]
[...]

From Mary Flanagan's twitter, great to see the Kickstarter success:

On the other hand, unfortunate to read that this one did not quite meet its goal:

What happened to The Sun Also Rises, by Horse Volume? It had a Kickstarter. The game was about the war on terror based on accounts from Afghan citizens and US soldiers. That sounded really interesting.

The dev's aims:
"We want to weave a broad tapestry of the diverse issue of war. These include PTSD and lack of treatment, reintegration of soldiers into everyday life, the interactions between soldiers and civilians, sexual assault in the military, the indoctrination of children into the Taliban, the difficulties of being part of the U.S. Military's chain of command, and many more. As we continue to research and hear peoples' stories, the stories we tell in TSAR will grow and expand.

The main vignettes we plan to focus on right now follow three characters experiencing the war in very different ways."

I guess it's cancelled or vaporware now, although hope it comes back.

65290fb233811ea69d1f7c63365452da_original.gif

b35b793af46e8a1719e68f944c26a4e0_original.gif

ICYMI, post above is from this thread: Gaming Has A BIG Problem With Arab & Muslim Stereotyping (Video Analysis)

I'll let the video do most of the talking, but to explain the purpose of sharing it:

Unfortunately, I've found that discussions of Arab and Muslim representation in gaming has flown under the radar a bit. It's strange when you think about it, considering how obvious the issue is. I don't think this is going to blow any minds, but gaming is absolutely littered with terrorists, oil barons and real estate moguls, and some of the most demeaning and sexualized portrayals of Arab and Muslim women. The video uses the framework provided by Dr. Jack Shaheen's 'Reel Bad Arabs' film study to help isolate and examine some of the more egregious examples. The video isn't written to be super dense with academic jargon, and is a little bit more laid back (a spot of swearing) and accessible for those who want an overview.

I don't know if you listen to Citations Needed, but they're covering this very topic right now in a three-part series, but in movies:
citationsneeded.libsyn.com

Citations Needed: Episode 113: Hollywood & Anti-Muslim Racism (Part 1) - Action and Adventure Schlock

The United States and its close allies Saudi Arabia and Israel have been bombing and occupying large sections of the so-called “Muslim world” for decades – drastically ramping up after the 9/11 attacks and seemingly with no end in sight. The U.S., like all empires, cannot operate a large...
I should check out Reel Bad Arabs. I always knew this was a big problem but seeing those numbers is disheartening. And before 9/11, too.

"People who play games depicting Arabs and Muslims in this way are more likely to associate them with the terrorist stereotype".

And yet people still say that media doesn't affect people's perceptions and that people can tell the difference between fiction and reality.
[...] Outside of the Reel Bad Arabs documentary I would point to some of the below articles that include some stories and experiences that you may already be aware of.

Arabic actors ‘are generally sought for thug roles’ - Arab America

Casting agents look for Middle-Eastern or Arabic-looking actors for “bad guy” roles on Australian television, an actor has claimed.Budding actor Josh Farah says his Arabic appearance and big build have helped him secure some enviable roles in his short career, but invariably they involve playing...

www.gq.com

You May Know These Muslim-American Actors From Such Roles as Terrorist

It's Hollywood's ugliest casting problem: Jon Ronson talks to seven Muslim-American actors, a group earning virtually their entire livings pretending to hijack planes and slaughter infidels. Jon Ronson embarks on a soul-searching odyssey with the bad guys of Homeland, American Sniper, 24, and...

www.latimes.com

But can you play a terrorist?

Actors of Arab descent face the dilemma of whether to be typecast. It's often the only work available, but it can leave some feeling guilty.
[...]
The problem even extends to these forums. It's really disheartening to see sometimes

Some blindspots perhaps (not entirely dissimilar to the ones mentioned earlier):

Speaking of indigenous perspectives, I'll say that I definitely appreciated Dia Lacina's perspective on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, as it's a perspective that isn't always well understood (see here and here, for example).

Oct 27, 2017

Gamespot:
The next game from Dontnod, Tell Me Why, features a transgender protagonist in an indigenous community. That has raised questions about how they will be depicted, both in terms of representation and sensitivity. So the developer took an unconventional approach, releasing a FAQ addressing possible concerns complete with detailed spoilers where applicable. Most of the questions relate to Tyler, who is transgender. The questions address topics like whether anyone calls him by his deadname, to whether his mother was transphobic, to if he faces any direct transphobia. One question even addresses whether he can have a "bad" ending due to the branching paths [...]

US Gamer:
[...] For the indigineous representation, Dontnod says it partnerered with the Huna Heritage Foundation to ensure that Tlingit culture is portrayed "respectfully and responsibly," informing aspects from sounds and pronunciation to customs like funerary rites. Several Huna Tlingit artisans were commissioned to create objects, murals, and designs. It was also reported last year that Dontnod has been working with organizations like GLAAD on its representation of queer and transgender characters. [...]

Also:
Meet the Transgender Voice Actor Behind DONTNOD's Tell Me Why Transgender Protagonist [February 18, 2020]
Tell Me Why (Dontnod,2020) new screenshots and new queer character revealed [June 26, 2020]

----------------

And from: Gotta give Microsoft props for bringing forth more women & people of color for their protagonists today (especially for black women)

Edn5ui9XkAAt-Ou
Screen_Shot_2020-07-23_at_12.34.47_PM.png
380f3c60-cd03-11ea-a9b6-03f96269c7c7
gunkthumb-1595517435559.jpg

State of Decay 3, Everwild, Dusk Falls, & The Gunk respectively

The diversity they showed today should certainly be commended. To Microsoft & all of the developers attached to these games, good shit. Representation matters, & to see them deliver on that is worthy of praise. Granted, State of Decay 3 is probably gonna let you play as any survivor if the first two games are any indication. But to have a black woman as the poster woman for the game still deserves props.

Between Microsoft & Sony having more diverse leads lately, I'm liking where the industry is going with regards to gender & ethnic diversity in games. We still have a ways to go, but progress is progress.
Gotta give a shout-out to Susana Mota for her work on Dusk Falls.

EdtObhCWkAAVBe4

Also, my tweet on the same topic blew up more than I could have imagined. Even Aaron Greenberg retweeted it.

On the other hand:

Their Diversity & Inclusion report (or whatever it's called) is public and gets reported on every year. Like other tech companies, they hire a tiny number of Black people, and their Black employees are largely kept to low level positions.

From Gamesindustry.biz:

[...] The numbers aren't good: In an IGDA survey from 2017, 1% of participants identified as Black, a figure virtually unchanged from the year prior. UKIE's own 2020 industry census offers higher figures overall, although those only narrowly break into double digits because the census collects different ethnicities under the BAME label. Diversity programs aren't a new invention, and yet the IGDA Developer Satisfaction Survey 2017 found that 28% of studios haven't implemented any such measures at all. [...]

[...] Currently, the Canadian studio Capy provides a great example of an inclusive job advert with its new mentorship scheme. Racial diversity initiatives around the world, such as POC in Play in the UK, can also help connect people and projects quickly and provide a social space for people of colour besides. [...]

[...] The case of Riot Games, and the lack of similar scrutiny around the allegations of a toxic studio culture at Quantic Dream, show studios do need to be held accountable on many issues, including diversity. Releasing low figures for Black game developers in a census isn't enough. Companies need to be open to feedback and more transparent about their culture, and industry bodies and journalists alike need to check in to see if measures for more diversity are actually being taken. [...]

[...] Many Black creatives become independent from AAA companies because those companies at large are still failing them. It's evident in all manner of things, such as the pay disparity evident in the #GameDevPaidMe hashtag on Twitter, big companies like Valve not releasing statements in solidarity with Black people to little backlash, no Black CEOs in the AAA space, and the lack of Black designers showcasing games at presentations, as the recent PC Gaming Show demonstrated. [...]

www.gamesindustry.biz

How the games industry can put its diversity pledges into action | Opinion

Like many people, I've been heartened to see the steadily growing list of video game publishers and developers donating…

Over one-fourth of developers (28%) say that their studio hasn't focused at all on diversity and inclusion initiatives in the past year. That's from the GDC's annual State of the Industry survey of 4,000 developers, 18% of whom said their studio had focused "a great deal" on such initiatives. 14% said their studio had focused on diversity and inclusion "a lot," 24% said "a moderate amount," and 16% said "a little." But of those who said their studios did make those efforts, 96% reported that those efforts were at least slightly successful. 30% said they were extremely successful.

"The staff who aren't cis white males seem to be disproportionately a) contract employees and/or b) affected by layoffs," said one respondant. "On paper our numbers are better now than a few years ago, but I'm not sure if retention is going well." wrote in one respondent.

[...]

The GDC survey also asked about another inclusion-related topic: accessibility. When looking at the number of developers who had implemented accessibility features, the numbers were identical to last year's, indicating that while the conversation surrounding the topic is growing, movement over the last year hasn't happened. 28% said they had included such features, 48% had not, and 25% either didn't know or said the question was not applicable.

Another topic returning from last year were issues of crunch and unionization. This year, 4% of developers reported working, on average, over 60 hours per week, and 44% reported working 40 or more. But while average hours didn't err on the extreme, developers were also asked the maximum amount of hours they worked in a single week over the last 12 months. 26% gave amounts over 60 hours; 4% said they had worked between 86 and 90 hours in a single week.

[...]

Interest in unionization increased slightly over the last 12 months. While 47% of developers agreed the industry should unionize last year, 54% said the same this year. Only 16% said the industry should not unionize. But when asked whether they thought the industry would unionize, only 23% said it would -- slightly up from last year (21%). [...]

www.gamesindustry.biz

Over one-fourth of developers say their studio has no diversity or inclusion initiatives

GDC State of the Industry: Over half of developers are in favor of unionization; meanwhile, needle hasn't moved on accessibility

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

From one of the profs mentioned earlier in the thread (above):

-----------------

Also noticed this neat write-up by Uzzy, in the PC Gaming ERA thread: "[...] Studio Oleomingus, have put out three of these art pieces already on Steam [...] surreal explorations of post-colonial themes in a slightly alternate and fictional India [...] contemplating the violence and cost of such historical erasures. With impressive music, surreal visuals and moving writing, I recommend it, especially as it's short and it's free."

A friend suggested that I play this rather beautiful and poignant game/interactive art piece, and I'm rather glad I did. The two person development team, Studio Oleomingus, have put out three of these art pieces already on Steam, with another one coming soon, all surreal explorations of post-colonial themes in a slightly alternate and fictional India. This particular one, The Indifferent Wonder of an Edible Place, sees you take the role of a 'building eater', tasked with eating an old tower in a forcibly abandoned town, interspersed with written pieces contemplating the violence and cost of such historical erasures. With impressive music, surreal visuals and moving writing, I recommend it, especially as it's short and it's free.

szlaqK9.png
JTRBVAa.png

sQkakf1.png
ncKJuY8.png

Incidentally, the devs (Studio Oleomingus) were featured in a museum exhibition that came up earlier in the thread:

Meagan Marie's Women in Gaming: 100 Professionals of Play was recently featured alongside a number of other interesting books ('7 Empowering Books For Female Gamers Packed Full Of Advice & Analysis'), a list compiled by journalist Sophie McEvoy [...] Videogames: Design / Play / Disrupt (V&A Publishing) by Marie Foulston (Editor), Kristian Volsing (Editor)

[...]

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Also noticed this neat write-up by Uzzy, in the PC Gaming ERA thread: "[...] Studio Oleomingus, have put out three of these art pieces already on Steam [...] surreal explorations of post-colonial themes in a slightly alternate and fictional India [...] contemplating the violence and cost of such historical erasures. With impressive music, surreal visuals and moving writing, I recommend it, especially as it's short and it's free."

Incidentally, the devs (Studio Oleomingus) were featured in a museum exhibition that came up earlier in the thread:

Oh, thank you for noticing! I'm hoping to play the other two games of theirs as soon as possible and write up about them too.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thank you for noticing! I'm hoping to play the other two games of theirs as soon as possible and write up about them too.

Nice! Yeah, your writing about the game was the push I needed to download and play through it (Steam link: The Indifferent Wonder of an Edible Place), really enjoyed it.

So to go ahead and plug your more recent write-up:
So I played a Museum of Dubious Splendors, some more post-colonial surrealist magical realism exploration from Studio Oleomingus, this time of an exploration of a museum devoted to the works of the totally real Gujarati poet Mir UmarHassan.

As far as I can tell, it's all about defamiliarization, basically presenting common objects in unfamiliar ways to enhance your perception of the former. This is done through short stories, snippets of written text presented for you to read, before transitioning into a new room showing an object. So you'll get read a story about a giants wedding being thrown into turmoil because the human musicians they bring to play end up eating the giants food and falling exhausted, so they get thrown into the only box the giants have that is small enough to hold them, which is...

agBXprZ.png

It's a beautiful little art piece, with well written short stories and lovely music, accompanying you throughout your exploration of the rooms on offer. You can even save your game by taking out your camera and taking a photo, which I thought was a delightful touch. It's only 20 minutes long, or thereabouts, and is more of an interactive art piece than a game, but still utterly lovely and well worth your time visiting.

CPNy9Wu.png
DcQ0KOS.png

gc0dmDO.png
gadJNO9.png

Some other helpful posts I've noticed, of late:
I know you're not necessarily denying this, but I do think it bears repeating for anybody who's not aware that there's actually an extremely vibrant community of trans creators in the gaming space making myriad stories about themselves. Their works (very sadly) just don't get much publicity. But I definitely think we can all agree on your last point there.
Try A Normal Lost Phone.
If I may add, We Know The Devil (previous game from the creators of HWBM) is also very good
I'll recommend Anna Anthropy's games (Dys4ia was the first trans game I played in 2012), Christine Love's games like Hate Plus, Digital: A Love Story, and Jessica Harvey's most excellent Paratopic.

And on a topic mentioned earlier in the thread:
What happened to The Sun Also Rises, by Horse Volume? It had a Kickstarter. The game was about the war on terror based on accounts from Afghan citizens and US soldiers. That sounded really interesting.

The dev's aims:
"We want to weave a broad tapestry of the diverse issue of war. These include PTSD and lack of treatment, reintegration of soldiers into everyday life, the interactions between soldiers and civilians, sexual assault in the military, the indoctrination of children into the Taliban, the difficulties of being part of the U.S. Military's chain of command, and many more. As we continue to research and hear peoples' stories, the stories we tell in TSAR will grow and expand.

The main vignettes we plan to focus on right now follow three characters experiencing the war in very different ways."

I guess it's cancelled or vaporware now, although hope it comes back.

65290fb233811ea69d1f7c63365452da_original.gif

b35b793af46e8a1719e68f944c26a4e0_original.gif

Perhaps worth mentioning here:
Hey jschreier is there a reason why Kotaku refuses to cover Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's use slave labor [In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony]? I thought you of all people would be the first to talk about it, considering how much time and effort you spend talking about crunch culture. [...]
I get a lot of tags. Hadn't seen that but will certainly look now.
Linked Report. See Threadmarks for the full list including Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Samsung & Sony.
  • On 17 May 2018, 105 Uyghur workers were transferred from Keriya county, Xinjiang, to Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd in Xianning, Hubei province.
  • Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd (湖北奕宏精密制造有限公司) is a subsidiary of Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd (东莞市奕东电子有限公 司) and produces precision parts for electronics such as backlights and battery covers.
  • According to their website, Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd says they supply directly to BYD, Goertek, Mitsumi, TDK and Toshiba. Their LCD components are directly supplied to Kyocera and BOE. Their end customers include Amazon, Apple, Cisco, General Electric, Google, Haier, HP, Huawei, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Nintendo, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Siemens, Sony, and ZTE.
Next up: FoxConn
  • As reported in late 2019, 560 Xinjiang workers were transferred to work in factories in central Henan province, including to Foxconn Technology in Zhengzhou, Henan province
  • Foxconn Technology, a Taiwanese company, is the biggest contract electronics manufacturer in the world.
  • Foxconn has supplied brands like Amazon, Apple, Dell, Google, HP, Huawei, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and Xiaomi. Foxconn's Zhengzhou, Henan facility reportedly makes half of the world's iPhones and is the reason why Zhengzhou city is dubbed the "iPhone city". Foxconn's website says their brands and 'marketing channels' include Nokia and Sharp
For the full story, watch China Undercover, the film draws on undercover footage and firsthand accounts to offer an eye-opening look at what's been happening to Uyghur and other Muslims inside China's tightly-guarded Xinjiang region. China Undercover premieres Tues., April 7. It will be available to watch in full, for free in the PBS Video App and at pbs.org/frontline starting at 7 p.m. E.D.T./6 p.m. C.D.T. It will premiere on PBS stations (check local listings) and on YouTube at 10 p.m. E.D.T./9 p.m. C.D.T
And some console manufacturers are already using slave labor according to a report from 5 months ago.
www.google.com

Apple, Samsung and Sony among 83 global brands using Uighur Muslim 'forced labour' in factories, report finds

At least 80,000 Uighurs working across 27 Chinese factories that supply some of biggest brand names in the world
-----------------------

On another subject, highlighted by Samiya and inmyfries (see here), I was glad to see there was eventually a detailed piece in Kotaku, written by Ian Walker and posted by Don Fluffles:
Sorry to double-post, but Here's a good Kotaku editorial summarizing the whole thing. [Call Of Duty Trailer Recklessly Promotes Far-Right Conspiracy Theory]

Ironic that the same bastards crying no politics are getting off to the conspiracy BS here. I do hope Jim Sterling brings this to light.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I have heard that trans members of ERA are abandoning ship and moving to other forums due to transphobic sentiments here. What are these other, more trans-tolerant gaming forums? I would love to join them and show solidarity, and as a bisexual I am always welcome to more supportive environments.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have heard that trans members of ERA are abandoning ship and moving to other forums due to transphobic sentiments here. What are these other, more trans-tolerant gaming forums? I would love to join them and show solidarity, and as a bisexual I am always welcome to more supportive environments.

😔I would also like to know. I'm not trans and not leaving though.

Oct 27, 2017
Great round-up of discussions, Schopenhauerian !

Appreciate both the insights and the links/quotes you regularly include in your posts. I try to make up for my own lack of insight with abundant links/quotes (not infrequently, quotes of your posts!), on the relatively infrequent occasion I make a post of my own.

Switching gears, recently came across this story:

More than 1,200 Google employees and more than 1,500 academic researchers are speaking out in protest after a prominent Black scientist studying the ethics of artificial intelligence said she was fired by Google after the company attempted to suppress her research and she criticized its diversity efforts. Timnit Gebru, who was the technical co-lead of Google's Ethical AI team, wrote on Twitter on Wednesday that she had been fired after sending an email to an internal group for women and allies working in the company's AI unit.
www.theguardian.com

More than 1,200 Google workers condemn firing of AI scientist Timnit Gebru

More than 1,000 researchers also sign letter after Black expert on ethics says Google tried to suppress her research on bias

The technology industry — and the field of artificial intelligence in particular — has long been known for being dominated by white men. A 2019 study by the AI Now Institute at New York University found that only 10 percent of AI researchers at Google were women. At Facebook, only 15 percent of AI researchers were women. At Google, Black women represent only 0.7 percent of its technical workforce, according to the company's 2020 diversity report. Gebru publicly shared her frustrations with the company with regards to diversity. In the email, sent last week to an internal employee group called Google Brain Women and Allies, she noted that Google's research division was only 14 percent female in 2020.
www.nbcnews.com

Google workers mobilize against firing of top Black female executive

The firing follows a series of internal battles about how the tech company handles diversity and inclusion.
[...] The furor gave the paper that catalyzed Gebru's sudden exit an aura of unusual power. It circulated in AI circles like samizdat. But the most remarkable thing about the 12-page document, seen by WIRED, is how uncontroversial it is. The paper does not attack Google or its technology and seems unlikely to have hurt the company's reputation if Gebru had been allowed to publish it with her Google affiliation. [...] In a blog post Monday, members of Google's AI ethics research team suggested managers had turned Google's internal research review process against Gebru. Gebru said last week that she may have been removed for criticizing Google's diversity programs, and suggesting in a recent group email that coworkers stop participating in them. [...]
www.wired.com

Behind the Paper That Led to a Google Researcher’s Firing

Timnit Gebru was one of seven authors on a study that examined prior research on training artificial intelligence models to understand language.

And was reminded of some stuff that was highlighted earlier, here in this thread:

Their Diversity & Inclusion report (or whatever it's called) is public and gets reported on every year. Like other tech companies, they hire a tiny number of Black people, and their Black employees are largely kept to low level positions.
Another obvious area for improvement is the persistent imbalance in the number (and pay) of women compared to men in the games industry. In the IGDA's 2019 developer satisfaction survey, the global ratio sits at 71 per cent male to 24 per cent female, with three per cent non-binary and two per cent preferring to self-describe (and four per cent identifying as transgender in a seperate question). Last year's UK gender pay gap report found the median wage gap had reached 18.8 per cent in the 19 largest games-related companies. These problems aren't just limited to games development, too, as Eurogamer itself has previously been criticised for gender imbalance, and across games media very few women hold leadership positions. [...] An example of this appeared in the Team Fortress 2 community in 2018, where community members who had experienced online abuse said Valve had failed to properly moderate the community for years, thus creating an environment where online harassment was normalised (and likely helped set the tone for harassment at real-world events). Revealing the scale of the problem, surveys in both 2018 and 2019 revealed one in three female gamers has experienced abuse from male counterparts, with 14 per cent receiving rape threats. [...]
www.eurogamer.net

Sexism and harassment in the games industry isn't just about big names: the entire culture must change

Content warning: This story contains upsetting content. Reader discretion advised.For the second time in less than a ye…
[...] The numbers aren't good: In an IGDA survey from 2017, 1% of participants identified as Black, a figure virtually unchanged from the year prior. UKIE's own 2020 industry census offers higher figures overall, although those only narrowly break into double digits because the census collects different ethnicities under the BAME label. [...]

[...] The case of Riot Games, and the lack of similar scrutiny around the allegations of a toxic studio culture at Quantic Dream, show studios do need to be held accountable on many issues, including diversity. Releasing low figures for Black game developers in a census isn't enough. Companies need to be open to feedback and more transparent about their culture, and industry bodies and journalists alike need to check in to see if measures for more diversity are actually being taken. [...]

[...] Many Black creatives become independent from AAA companies because those companies at large are still failing them. It's evident in all manner of things, such as the pay disparity evident in the #GameDevPaidMe hashtag on Twitter, big companies like Valve not releasing statements in solidarity with Black people to little backlash, no Black CEOs in the AAA space, and the lack of Black designers showcasing games at presentations, as the recent PC Gaming Show demonstrated. [...]
www.gamesindustry.biz

How the games industry can put its diversity pledges into action | Opinion

Like many people, I've been heartened to see the steadily growing list of video game publishers and developers donating…

I'm guessing quite a few folks working in the games industry may have experienced efforts of suppression similar to what Timnit Gebru experienced at Google.

Likely many folks here at Era as well, would be curious to know if anyone has a story they'd feel comfortable sharing.

--------------

Switching gears a bit: I've noticed that my stanning for Death Stranding (and relatedly, my contention here and here and here, that Kojima may be above the AAA game industry average, in certain specific respects) has been the cause of discomfort and consternation for some folks. Specifically, I picked up on some entirely understandable/justifiable shade, in some other threads.

So I should may be try to clarify, that in highlighting those areas where Kojima may be slightly above the industry average (for example, see what I said here), I'm not as much lauding/praising Kojima as I am hoping for the rest of the industry to get a bit better in those specific areas (in this context, it was nice to see that Cory Barlog eventually spoke out against Trump as well).

And I would of course want to emphasize that Kojima certainly deserves every bit of harsh criticism for his sexism (and then in Death Stranding, spreading misinformation about asexuality), as I've noted myself, here and here and here and here. Personally, as I noted here, I could never bring myself to play MGS5, because of just how grotesque the ending of Ground Zeroes was, and because of what I'd seen/heard about how Quiet is treated in the game. Not much of an MGS fan in any case, it should be noted: never played more than a few hours of MGS3, never played MGS4 or Peace Walker, never played Snatcher or Policenauts.

But yeah, I probably do like Death Stranding a little too much, and I really could have spoken more frequently about the game's (and Kojima's) failings, something I'm definitely keeping in mind now, for what it's worth.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

That's a real shame:( I've noticed LGBT issues quite often don't get the proper attention and understanding from members and mods. It's been frustrating...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Have you had a chance to contact the moderators regarding this? I'm sure it's against the rules to be transphobic anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to highlighting the very important thread that's currently active and stickied ("CDPR is a transphobic company. It's time we stop making excuses for them"), it may be worth highlighting a few other recent threads:
Also:

Kallie Plagge at Gamespot:
The ads are one of many, many aesthetic choices in Cyberpunk 2077 that are grating with no real point. There's one ad in particular that was the topic of much discussion pre-release; it features a feminine person with a giant, exaggerated, veiny erection in their leotard and advertises a drink called Chromanticore with the tagline "mix it up." It is everywhere. And while the "purpose" of it may be to show what a sex-obsessed, superficial, exploitative place Night City is, there's nothing in the main story or any of the side quests I did that gives it even that much context--I found just one message on one of the many computers I logged into that commented on how low-brow Night City culture is. The result is that there's a fetishization of trans people at every turn, in a game with only one very minor trans character (that I found, at least) and no way to play as an authentically trans character yourself.​
I found and read tons of text logs, scoured people's private messages, listened to radio and TV programs and random NPC conversations, and I struggled to find justifications for many of Cyberpunk's more questionable and superficial worldbuilding choices. It's a world where megacorporations rule people's lives, where inequality runs rampant, and where violence is a fact of life, but I found very little in the main story, side quests, or environment that explores any of these topics. It's a tough world and a hard one to exist in, by design; with no apparent purpose and context to that experience, all you're left with is the unpleasantness.​
...​
There's so much to cover that I can't possibly touch on everything, but my experience is that there are aspects of the game that feel lost in translation, invoking cultures that aren't adequately explored or contextualized. Characters in one side quest use the word "ofrenda" as if it means "funeral" when it's actually a particular kind of altar primarily for Day of the Dead--it's unclear to me if this is a translation issue or an overall misunderstanding of Mexican customs, since you do put together an altar during the event that's being called "the ofrenda." As another example, you can go to a clothing store in Japantown and buy "yukata" that are just wrap shirts bearing only the slightest resemblance to real yukata. It's not that Cyberpunk always gets everything wrong in its incorporation of a variety of cultures and backgrounds but that the world is so big and unruly that I never knew what I would find around any corner or understand what the intent behind it was--I just grew to accept that whatever I did find, at least in terms of setting and worldbuilding, would likely be superficial.​
Carolyn Petite at Polygon:

For elements like the inescapable dehumanization of trans people on imagery throughout the city to function as any kind of critique of transphobia, the game itself would need to create tension around those images by showing us humanized trans people navigating that world. But it doesn't. The result is a game in which transphobic players (of which there will be many) can just laugh at us by using the character creator to generate models they consider worthy of mockery and derision and by gagging at the Chromanticure ads they see everywhere, or perhaps by fetishizing the model while continuing to see trans people as objects of desire but not as full human beings. Meanwhile, we trans players are left wanting in its world for depictions that humanize us.​

Gene Park at The Washington Post:

While "The Witcher" was based on a novel series that pulled mythological inspiration from CDPR's native land of Poland, "Cyberpunk" is a vision of a much broader, more diverse world, one that CDPR seems less equipped to depict. That's not to say that this story and its characters aren't engaging, but that it relies on giving virtual life to caricatures drawn by the original board game. A Latino character leans too heavily on overused Spanish swear words in normal conversation. Sex workers are given little nuance to their characters beyond the parameters of their chosen profession.​
And for years, trans activists have shone a light on why its depiction and seemingly willful ignorance on gender can create damage for a marginalized community, even within the game's context of capitalism objectifying humanity for gain. In its narrative, CDPR chose adherence to a known and problematic formula over upending the cyberpunk genre. This might be an insurmountable hurdle for some — and understandably so.​
Rob Zacny at Waypoint:

Cyberpunk 2077 happily embraces the tropes of 80s cyberpunk, where ethnic stereotypes were often deployed to provide an air of unearned worldly sophistication. So the Japanese characters who work for Arasaka speak the language of samurai movies: it's all honor, duty, and cherry blossoms despite the fact that Arasaka is a cynical and self-interested multinational. The game nods to some of the complications of representation: the game is at pains to indicate that the tech-savvy Voodoo Boys gang are not actually practitioners or believers in voodoo, but they are proud members of a Haitian diaspora that are building a Black nationalist movement in their quarter of Night City who adopt the symbols of voodoo as an expression of heritage. Which is all well and good but then you realize that the only Haitian dudes you've met in this whole game are Voodoo Boys and you're right back at a setting where, functionally, ethnicity is identity. And that identity frequently comes with a costume and an occupation.​
More complicated is how Cyberpunk 2077 approaches sex and sex work, which says a lot about the places where its imagination is detailed and specific, versus where it is vague and uncommitted. A lot of Cyberpunk 2077's story hinges on sex workers and the types of sex work and hierarchies that exist in this world. ... It's dark stuff, but it's fairly well-handled. Cyberpunk 2077 approaches sexual violence like a lot of detective fiction approaches it, with a fair amount of sensitivity but also an uncomfortable level of interest that flirts with being fetishisizing.​
...​
What's profoundly strange is that, here in the final game, there is scarcely any portrayal or interrogation of how this society's understanding of gender and the human body have changed. The marketing-driven discussion around Cyberpunk for the last few years has often centered on CD Projekt Red's transphobic "edginess" and its misbegotten philosophizing about how body modification and augmentation come at a cost to one's humanity. This is a small mercy: the game at least never sinks to the lows promised by some of the terrible art that has been shown over the past few years (and which still remains in the game). But it also helps make Cyberpunk a game where race, gender, and transhumanism are reduced to background set decoration in otherwise familiar stories.​

Time Magazine calls out the Transphobic ingame ads in their review.

"Night City itself, as with the rest of Cyberpunk, is only "edgy" as defined by a 14-year-old in 2004. It's replete with Blade Runner-esque neon lights and holograms complete with more than suggestive advertisements. Everyone and their grandma has a cybernetic enhancement. Dildos litter the street, and you can use them as components in the game's crafting system. Transphobic ads mar an already garish world that lacks any sort of subtext or nuance. The environmental 'jokes' don't land, and offensive jabs are present throughout, giving me pause as to the game's target audience."​

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but surprise, CDPR managed to mishandle yet another aspect of the game.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/1...on-use-of-t-moko-in-cyberpunk-2077-video-game
I really like her suggestion of saving a Maori tattoo artist and then getting a tattoo for your character as a reward. Like she says, it would be a great way to educate people on the culture and have some representation in the game besides bit of unexplained ink. As it's right now, I wouldn't have any idea about the origins of the tattoo without this article. I'd just pass it off as some generic face tattoo.
Can anyone share some reviews by transgender game critics? So far I've read 3 pieces.
www.polygon.com

Cyberpunk 2077 is dad rock, not new wave

CD Projekt Red’s open-world game does not exactly have a futuristic worldview
www.trustedreviews.com

Cyberpunk 2077

CD Projekt Red has created a triumphant RPG experience with Cyberpunk 2077, yet it often falls under the weight of its own ambition.
30 hour impressions
kotaku.com

30 Hours With Cyberpunk 2077 Brings Mixed Feelings

Cyberpunk 2077, the most recent game from Witcher developer CD Projekt Red, was first announced in 2012. In the last couple years, it’s had an onslaught of hype and dripfed information, most of which I’ve ignored. The developers have promised unlimited freedom, unparalleled graphics, and cameos...
I also thought this was interesting article and might be of some interest here too, it's about the character creator from a POV of a black woman.
kotaku.com

Cyberpunk 2077’s Character Creator: The Kotaku Review

The thing that interested me the most about Cyberpunk 2077 was its character creator. I’m someone who’s spent a lot of her time thinking about character creators and how they work for people who are not cis, white, able bodied, or male. I had hope that Cyberpunk’s creator would meaningfully...

Somewhat in the spirit of this thread (Be A Better Cyberpunk - a bundle of cyberpunk games, music, TTRPGs, and zines - support independent, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ creators!), with regard to suggesting alternatives (though in contrast to the thread, the following lists are not specifically attentive to diversity issues):

www.eurogamer.net

A brief history of cyberpunk games

The long-awaited release of Cyberpunk 2077 brings to an end years of feverish anticipation for those who have been itch…
I enjoyed this piece. Love that they brought up Mirror's Edge as a cyberpunk game, it's a cyberpunk classic.
[Indigo Gaming's Cyberpunk Documentary - Genre, not game] Part 1 Here:
https://youtu.be/sttm8Q9rOdQ

Part 2 Here:
https://youtu.be/0VoX3vr6CCM

Part 3 coming eventually apparently

As a fan of Cyberpunk, I've really enjoyed these.
Anyone give this a shot yet?

store.steampowered.com

Cloudpunk on Steam

A neon-noir story in a rain-drenched cyberpunk metropolis. It’s your first night on the job working for the Cloudpunk delivery service. Two rules: Don’t miss a delivery and don’t ask what’s in the package.

[Cloudpunk is] probably the most immersive cyberpunk game on the market, wrapped around an intimate blue-collar story that takes the player through a cross-section on intriguing lives and interactions. The updates and first person perspectives took the game to the next level
Just finished [Cloudpunk] on PC this week.

Absolutely loved it.

Charming main characters. Surprisingly deep/touching story moments. KILLER world production. Great soundtrack.

It's sad that the most critical QoL enhancements (camera rotation, first-person cam on foot & vehicle cockpit view) came well after release after reviews were locked in.

The world is drop-dead gorgeous and I can't imagine traversing it with the fixed camera angles the game shipped with.

Truly a gem that will land in my Top 10 this year.
The new first person vehicle camera [in Cloudpunk] is pretty great. Flying around the city listening to the rain with traffic going by, police sirens and advertisements blaring in the distance. It's got amazing atmosphere.

Oct 27, 2017

Aside from the formal/detailed thread that you wrote ("CDPR is a transphobic company. It's time we stop making excuses for them"), just as an incidental note of encouragement, I should mention that your comparatively casual/cursory writing on games is consistently great as well, IMO. Random example, but the few sentences you wrote here on the 'sublime' still stick in my mind because of how on point they were, and because I haven't read anything else that quite captures the same idea/experience/feeling from exactly that early section in the game (despite being a massive fan of the game who has read a whole lot of impressions), so would definitely read the long-form/formal version of that post!

For this thread though, some neat posts I've come across recently:
YongYea is shown at the start to be an overly hyped Youtuber but he's shown at several points of the video without comment or any challenge. Then you have all the others, and people I didn't know were gamergate types like YoungRippa59, and LegacyKillaHD. These are all people who did Cyberpunk 2077 anti "SJW" videos and defending the criticism it got on minority representation. They all have plenty of anti SJW videos in the past, which can be searched for. Here's a longer read by A Khaled about it: Gamergate's Latest Targets Are Cyberpunk 2077's Critics (by A Khaled)
Thank you for posting this. It's amazing how un-punk everything around CP2077 is, from the fans defending a corporation, to the working conditions, all the way to the shitting on women, transfolk, and racial stereotypes. It's not just the wow cool future meme, it's pretty much the antithesis of cyberpunk.
Its outta print, so ymmv on acquiring a physical copy but, I really enjoyed Cara Elison's Embed with Games. Its a physical version of her old tumblr blog where she went to live with various game developers over the course of a year. If you want some games studies books, you should check out Games of Empire by Nick Dyer-Witheford which, looks at the intersection of games and capitalism
Critical Play by Mary Flanagan
Covers movements in art and history and how they inform much of what we play today. The bits about dollhouse-like miniature crime scenes used by real law enforcement and how that spills over into things like The Sims was a highlight for me, personally.
Virtual Vernacular by Sarah Bonser
Covers the intersection of real-world architecture and the unreal spaces we find in game environments, among a many things. I went to a GDC talk given by Bonser years ago [perhaps this one?] and, while I haven't finished the book, I expect it will be an expansion on lots of the interesting topics she discussed in her GDC presentation. A small highlight in her GDC talk was considering the artistic and technical limitations Fallout 4's Tenpenny Tower was beholden to, making it feel very unrealistic even though it's based on popular architectural movements we see and experience in the real built world.
The following list includes games that feature positive representation for brown and black people as leads or main playable characters (games developed by brown and black creatives can also be suggested since they're often underrepresented). Feel free to to quote or @ me with any recommendations you have and I'll add it to the list when I have the time. Thank you!

Recommended games:
Game
: Broken Age. Platform: PS4 ( + Vita), Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
Broken Age is a timeless coming-of-age story of barfing trees and talking spoons. Vella Tartine and Shay Volta are two teenagers in strangely similar situations, but radically different worlds. The player can freely switch between their stories, helping them take control of their own lives, and dealing with the unexpected adventures that follow

Game: Dandara. Platform: PS4, Switch, Xbox, Android, iOS, and PC. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
In a bizarre universe where the oppressed are on the brink of oblivion, Dandara has awoken to reshape the world. As a metroidvania carefully designed with both touch and gamepad in mind, we considered how you could achieve exploration and fast action using either input. The result was a gravity bending world where movement is comprised of jumping from surface to surface in lovingly crafted environments.

Game: Children of Zodiarcs. Platform: PS4, Switch, and PC. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
Children of Zodiarcs is a story-driven, tactical RPG set in the fantasy realm of Lumus; a world divided by affluence and poverty. Take control of Nahmi and her fellow outcasts, utilizing a brand new deck and dice based combat system to strike a blow to the noble Lords' and Ladies' unquenchable thirst for profit.

Game: Ikenfell. Platform: PS4, Switch, Xbox One, PC and Mac. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
A turn-based tactical RPG about a group of troublesome magic students. Use timing mechanics to power your spells and block attacks, explore the twisted halls of a vast magic school, fight challenging monsters and bosses, and uncover dark secrets never meant to be found.

Game: Invisible Inc. Platform: PS4, iPad, Linux, PC, and Mac. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
Take control of Invisible's agents in the field and infiltrate the world's most dangerous corporations. Stealth, precision, and teamwork are essential in high-stakes, high-profit missions, where every move may cost an agent their life.

Game: No Straight Roads. Platform: PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
*No Straight Roads is a game made by Malaysian developers which includes music made by Era's own resident senior citizen, Falk .
Explore Vinyl City and fight musical megastars on your journey to defeat oppressive EDM empire 'NSR', and experience an action-packed adventure that mashes together rhythm-infused third-person combat with a kick-ass soundtrack!

Game: Raji: An Ancient Epic. Platform: PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
Raji: An Ancient Epic is an action-adventure game set in ancient India. A young girl named Raji has been chosen by the gods to stand against the demonic invasion of the human realm. Her destiny? To rescue her younger brother and face the demon lord Mahabalasura.

Game: Seasons. Platform: PS5 and PC. Status: Unreleased. Trailer | Website.
Season, a third-person atmospheric adventure bicycle road trip game. Through the eyes of a young woman from a secluded community, explore the world for the first time. Collect artifacts and memories before a mysterious cataclysm washes away the world...

Game: She Dreams Elsewhere. Platform: PC, Mac, Xbox One (+ Gamepass), Switch. Status: Unreleased. Trailer | Website.
Main character is black and
She Dreams Elsewhere is a surreal adventure RPG about dreams and the extent to which they mirror reality. You play as Thalia, an anxiety-ridden, comatose woman on a journey to defeat the nightmares preventing her from awakening, while also finding out how exactly this mess happened in the first place.

Game: Wintermoor Tactics Club. Platform: PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch. Status: Released. Trailer | Website.
Wintermoor Tactics Club is a story about surviving high school, with gameplay inspired by tactics RPGs and visual novels. It was hard enough for Alicia to make friends at prestigious Wintermoor Academy before the whole school erupted into a snowball tournament! Now, her tiny Tactics Club must transform from nerdy nobodies into the heroes they play in their tabletop campaign, or they'll be disbanded forever.

Also:

Jan 11, 2018

EtQKrPBXYAIjVRn

Wild flamboyant gay bartender appeared!
Falcom used stereotype!
It's not very effective...

I guess it could've been worse. Hopefully he's likeable still.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Okay, since I'm getting to the end of most of my backlog, what's everyone playing in terms of video games either made by Indigenous people or about Indigenous people themselves.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

My little indie JRPG has two black party members. Thought I'd give them a shoutout for BHM. It's super sad to see that black people remain wholly underrepresented in the genre. And because that is the case, I am greatly looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicles' Marisa, who looks stunning and will have her very own campaign in the game! Still feels surreal that is happening.

Eiyuden-Chronicle-Hundred-Heroes_Marisa.png

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Little known fact, apparently even the English dub of BOTW uses a white actress for Urbosa and Riju? Isn't this a problem?