• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
As a PSP player, seeing Dissidia on consoles was always a dream.
But they were able to make the game worse in solo and multiplayer content.

The final blow was the horrible netcode and locking us to only 3v3 matches.
I had to wait 10+ minutes to find a match, and at least at launch they didn't even hadve a rematch option!

The graphics, music and gameplay are nice, but they destroyed the game by design choice.
Feels like they don't have a clue about online fighting games today. So barebones.
I was a huge fun of dissidia, but now I don't even care about this brand anymore.

Nov 23, 2017
Imagine me, the total sucker who bought four copies of this game so I can have all four steelbooks. If some of you don't recall, allow me to refresh your memories:

Dissidia NT had three collectors steelbooks. They were hidden behind standard Dissidia NT slip covers so you couldn't see them. I got "lucky" enough to have a pre-order in at three different stores. Each copy I got had a different cover after opening it, so I was mad "lucky". The fourth one was the Ultimate Collector's Edition that I got from the Square Enix Store.

After all that, I play the game for a bit and realized that it wasn't good. I played the story and saw how barebones it was. I played the multiplayer and saw how much was involved with the controls for 3 v 3 combat. My heart was sunk. The sheer terror of realizing that I spent hundreds of dollars on this game just hit me right in the f'n heart. I barely played it since then.

I hope the next one goes back to its roots.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucked up. I hope they reuse the existing NT models for characters and Arenas to remaster Dissidia 012 and bring it to console (y'know, the thing that everyone wanted)

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everything surrounding this game has been a travesty.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gutting the RPG stuff was what ultimately killed NT. Dissidia on it's own is a terribly feeling game even back during the PSP days but the RPG building HARD CARRIED the sluggish gameplay into something fun.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've always liked the idea of Dissidia more than actually playing it.

Honestly at this point I'd of preferred a more traditional Street Fighter style fighter.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ngl I'd love a final fantasy warriors game, I even once wrote them a letter on a Final Fantasy 7 warriors game. I really hope either SE make a game like it themselves or get Koei or capcom to make one

I'd love one too, but I'd sooner have something that feels like DQH2, so more of an actual ARPG but with Dynasty Warriors styled fodder enemies. I don't want stuff like "EXDEATH IS APPROACHING THE CASTLE GATES"

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I've always liked the idea of Dissidia more than actually playing it.

Honestly at this point I'd of preferred a more traditional Street Fighter style fighter.

ArcSys' Final Fantasy Versus

That wouldn't be so bad but there is no way that they would do 30 characters right away as a base roster (15 Heroes, 15 Villains)

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
As a massive *massive* fan of the original PSP games, this is seriously disheartening

Especially if it means its unlikely we'll get a new one closer in the vein of those original games instead of this multiplayer focused one...

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The best way to make a Final Fantasy fighting game is to just rip off Super Dragon Ball Z. That already has light moveset customization/RPG elements, simple controls and arena fighter gameplay aspects.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Development of NT being wrapped mere weeks after they announced/launched Ardyn from FFXV just like Final Fantasy XV DLC Season 2 pass was announced to be cancelled after Episode Ardyn is sending me lmao

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
The most dissapointing game I played this gen personally, with the worst online experience I've ever had. I hope for a future title that's more closer to the PSP games.

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
I think there should be a hash tag or something, or square should come out with a survey.
something to tell square what fans what for the franchise :/

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vivi was in that leak from forever ago but I guess now we'll never get him in a Dissidia that isn't Opera Omnia, RIP

time to repurpose those assets and make a musou

Yep, this is so obvious and I assume the next gen systems will be able to handle it no problem.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Sad for the people that still wish to continue to putting time into it but this game was not what I wanted after those PSP versions.

Why did they even attempt to go into the competitive arcade brawler market with this series? Feels like the game was one thing and then SE turned the car around and took an exit that we had already passed 20 mins ago. So weird.
THIS.
I was a huge fan of the PSP games, got both and spent ton of hours on them.
I never buyed this after I understood what it was... even when it went on high discounts... :\

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So not only will I never get the Twin Moon Cecil costume cause Square sucks at pricing and staggered releases, but the 50 characters thing that was going around turned out to be bogus XD.

Good old Square. Wish you cared about your other projects like XV and NT as much as you care about VII Remake.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Sad for the people that still wish to continue to putting time into it but this game was not what I wanted after those PSP versions.

Why did they even attempt to go into the competitive arcade brawler market with this series? Feels like the game was one thing and then SE turned the car around and took an exit that we had already passed 20 mins ago. So weird.

This

Giving this to koei and making it like they did pretty much murdered the series...

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
All we needed was the PSP games but on a console. It's still unbelievable how botched this whole project was.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
While I really did enjoy the gameplay of NT, the online was so bad it killed any motivation I had to play it.

Hope they eventually go back to making it 1v1 in the future.

Also play the gacha game, shits great.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The most dissapointing game I played this gen personally, with the worst online experience I've ever had. I hope for a future title that's more closer to the PSP games.

I was willing to give the game a chance but the online was so bad during the beta phase I washed my hands of it. That's extremely important for me since that is the bulk of the game to me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was so hyped for a console dissidia and we got...this

Same. Same. Dissidia on PSP was easily my most played handheld game like possibly ever? I loved it and then they gave us this abomination and ugh... I was just so let down. I just wanted a more meaty single player mode and 1v1 fights. Oh well. :(

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have no sympathy for them. They completely torpedoed the Dissidia series to chase a market that didn't even really exist outside of a tiny niche in Japanese arcades and then they were shocked when it didn't take off on consoles.

They could've ported 012 to consoles or done a sequel to that and fans would've been super happy. The fact they still haven't done that is a sign of how foolish Square continues to be.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I'm very sad. Such a fun game that delivered plenty of good times. I wish things would have been different, both with the reception the game received and with the way Square treated the Western fans. Until next time Dissidia.

Requiescat en pace, NT.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
The game lasted quite a long time. I wonder if SE considered it a success.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The game lasted quite a long time. I wonder if SE considered it a success.

The arcade version absolutely was. The console version not so much. The online community basically died off immediately and as far as I can tell never really recovered.

Charging 60 bucks for a game with no content and then selling that bloody much paid DLC was absolutely madness. The game should've been F2P on console from the start and people would've been far more forgiving AND far more likely to try it out.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The biggest problem with NT isn't that it's 3v3 or that it's not the PSP games.

The problem with NT is that the game is fundamentally undercooked.
  • The reward system sucks and feeds you fewer rewards the more you play.
  • The online component, which should be its PRIMARY MODE, is fully P2P and is always incredibly laggy and unplayable.
  • The single player campaign is tolerable but relies on grinding other modes in order to progress. It's an insane design choice. Additionally, they stopped supporting it well over a year ago when it was supposed to get regular free updates.
  • The DLC is priced abysmally, and you can't unlock things for new fighters in-game, which suggests poor design around integrating future content.
  • There is no cross-progress support. Why the fuck would you ever buy it on PC when you'd need to painstakingly level every character to 10 again just to have baseline playability for every character?

Make no mistake, there is a very fun and frenetic game in Dissidia NT, but from the outset the developers approached it as an afterthought instead of treating it with any of the seriousness of any other contemporary fighting game, which is saying something because most modern fighting games have also made bafflingly stupid design decisions and have cut corners like never before.

I hope that when the PS5 launches and all of these dwindling online games get reconsidered for a "second wind", someone with a players-first vision like Yoshi-P is chosen to resurrect it and treat it with the respect it never offered to its players.

Oct 25, 2017
What I would give for SE to just make a regular god damn fighting game instead of whatever this tried to be.

3v3 is interesting but considering but it just didn't work here.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
The biggest problem with NT isn't that it's 3v3 or that it's not the PSP games.

The problem with NT is that the game is fundamentally undercooked.
  • The reward system sucks and feeds you fewer rewards the more you play.
  • The online component, which should be its PRIMARY MODE, is fully P2P and is always incredibly laggy and unplayable.
  • The single player campaign is tolerable but relies on grinding other modes in order to progress. It's an insane design choice. Additionally, they stopped supporting it well over a year ago when it was supposed to get regular free updates.
  • The DLC is priced abysmally, and you can't unlock things for new fighters in-game, which suggests poor design around integrating future content.
  • There is no cross-progress support. Why the fuck would you ever buy it on PC when you'd need to painstakingly level every character to 10 again just to have baseline playability for every character?

Make no mistake, there is a very fun and frenetic game in Dissidia NT, but from the outset the developers approached it as an afterthought instead of treating it with any of the seriousness of any other contemporary fighting game, which is saying something because most modern fighting games have also made bafflingly stupid design decisions and have cut corners like never before.

I hope that when the PS5 launches and all of these dwindling online games get reconsidered for a "second wind", someone with a players-first vision like Yoshi-P is chosen to resurrect it and treat it with the respect it never offered to its players.

Great post.

I keep forgetting the hate this game gets on this Forum, some of it is justified but most of it is cause it's not a exact copy of the psp games.

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this a while back and didn't get past all the tutorials, all I can remember is it had some of the worst implemented HDR I've seen.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If they had to make it team based, they honestly should have just done 2v2. Gundam EXVS shows that 2v2 definitely works in a lot of areas (like for instance, you're not going to be fighting with the lock on if you need to target a specific enemy; it's either one or the other).

I tried to give Dissidia NT a chance early but... 3v3 was just unmanageable most of the time (and most of the matches favored either heavy projectile spam, or unga bunga Cloud/Lightning/Noctis teams). It's a shame but NT managed to overwhelmingly disappoint not just being a 012 sequel, but even being an arena fighter
Agreed.

The model for success was right there for Team Ninja and SE, so why they felt the need to diverge so much was beyond.

Helps that home versions of Gundam Vs. usually have good SP modes, which is more than what I can say for NT's anemic offerings.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I was just about to start playing after the bleeding edge beta I was craving another PvP character focused game.

Anyone have any recommendations for something similar?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
All anyone wanted was an upgrade version of Duodecim, RPG bells and whistles included. What we got isn't a bad game, but it's also not what people wanted at all.

Dragmire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They just celebrated the arcade's 4th anniversary and released Ardyn in December. Was the Arcade version losing money or something?

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
One of my greatest dissappointments of 2018. Loved both PSP entries and even though I liked NT, I feel like it was an entirely different game altogether.

Dissidia should've remained a 1v1 experience with assist characters, since the combat isn't really fun when you're getting gang banged 1v3 and your AI partners are just fucking around. Also, as dumb as the story was in both PSP games, the world map and the dungeons really gave a feeling of exploration and progression as you moved around. NT's play-to-unlock points to purchase lame cutscenes was as dissappointing as it sounds.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Afraid this would happen. Are you serious Square no sequel plans

All those characters already made and instead of making an actual follow up to the psp titles. A new 1v1 Dissidia you instead just shelf the series now

Last edited:

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
They just celebrated the arcade's 4th anniversary and released Ardyn in December. Was the Arcade version losing money or something?
Four years really isn't a bad run for a single iteration of a game. But man, they really took their sweet time rolling out characters. Even one, full year without the villains was a bit much.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not often a company can assert a definitive 'this series is dead' by announcing there will be no more sequels ever.
They did say that for Theathrythm though, and yet the series continued. SQEX can be strange.

It is odd to hear the director admitting they had several more characters planned and that they're shelving all of that. It's the most frank "we failed hard" I've heard from a Japanese dev.

Oct 31, 2017
This game had too much baggage to succeed. People wanted a RPG and this was never going to satisfy that. It's a shame though. Dissidia is an incredible brawler with a ton of amazing ideas and well executed fighting mechanics. I want to believe that if it had better online infrastructure it would've done better but again, it was competing with people's nostalgia of the PSP games so it was never going to do well.

Nostalgia isn't the problem here. Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo made a Dissidia game that forgot its DNA.

I know it's an arcade game first and foremost but them not going back to the drawing board for the console release was a terrible decision: Dissidia is all about fanservice, 1 vs 1 fights and a ridiculous amount of SP content. Here, they kept some of the fanservice, went 3 vs 3 and forgot SP for MP. It's pretty sad, really.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Them dropping support on the game and then straight up saying that they won't work on a sequel was unintentionally comical.