• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This whole movie reeks of just sort of being there. Nothing bad but not remotely living up to the legacy of what it's remaking. At least Beauty and the Beast was a pretty production with good CG.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Zayn did great for a modern rendition of the song but that girl on the hand... Let's just say she is no Lea Salonga.

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
The original is the original and will always be better. The new one however, is pretty good. The guy definitely kills it (in a good way) and the girl isn't as bad as y'all are making her out to be.

Same thing with the Beauty and the Beast end credits. A good effort once again, but you can't touch the originals.

Just the nature of youtube for these new versions accompanying the newer version to have higher likes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As somebody who loves Aladdin..

This is.. fine. It's just a cover, some nice moments, obviously the original is better

I mean I'd keep it away from the movie myself but.. yeah

Feb 3, 2018
Peter Andre and Katie Price with the autotune removed is the one that should have been in the movie I mean just listen to katie prices lovely voice.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Read the responses here first before I got to watch the music video. Holy fuck a lot of you just like to shit on everything.

It sounds fine, it's a slower take on the original. It probably wasn't even meant to replicate the original or what will actually be in the movie. When you think of the credits, the low key vibes from this version would make sense.

I obviously prefer the original song, but I don't see why everyone is shitting on it so bad. It's not like they got Lil Pump to come in and ruin the song like Pitbull did for Africa.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Zayn sounds like he got shot with tranquilizers and is trying not to pass out, Zhavia sounds and looks like a dollar-store Christina Aguilera, and the backing music sounds like it's trying for some kind of late-90s R&B vibe.

Is it bad? Yeah, I'd say so. Is it "a crime against music"? Hell no. It's too boringly bleh for that kind of hyperbole.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zayn was great in it imo. Girl with the dreads though? Yikes. Both her voice and her dreads.

I agree and just for some fair context if I knew that girl IRL she'd be easily one of the hottest people I knew and easily the best singer but she appears outmatched. I assumed zayn was a like tertiary backstreet boy without listening to that band but he can legit sing

Apr 19, 2018
Umm where's the Naomi Scott version?

As an end credits version, it's perfectly decent, but yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing Scott and Massoud's in-film rendition. (Is Massoud a singer, by the way?)

Here's a brief snippet of Scott, taken from a recording of an upcoming Jasmine singing doll by Hasbro:

Last edited:

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. No use doing it if you are going to just be an imitation of what came before. The production is shitty and the singing is meh, but at least it's trying to do something a little different with modern production. Not my thing, but it's not offensive and can be easily avoided.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my question. This is a love song, so why does the new video look like the two singers are never in the same zip code at the same time?

Oct 25, 2017
Really not seeing what's so criminal about this version.
Yeah the vocals are a little heavy on the autotune but whatever, it sounds fine.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
As an end credits version, it's perfectly decent, but yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing Scott and Massoud's in-film rendition. (Is Massoud a singer, by the way?)

Here's a brief snippet of Scott, taken from a recording of an upcoming Jasmine singing doll by Hasbro:

I hope he knows how to sing. He has like 10 tracks on the soundtrack on iTunes. There's also one with Massoud and Scott which is most likely the inmovie rendition of "A Whole New World"

Likely scenario for why each of the three protagonist actors were chosen is due to singing ability.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's a fine pop version of the song. Whatever. The original pop version is also inferior to the movie version. It happens. No one can beat Lea Salonga. I'm fine with this song being recycled and remade, it's that good. The movie will probably be trash though.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I think Zayn should play sexy Aladdin in the upcoming Aladdin movie. He could steal Jasmine from regular Aladdin. That's compelling drama, I'm telling you.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fine. A very typical modern kind of broadway pop rendition of the song.. If they were just going to copy the original film shot for shot and note for note then there would be no point in them remaking it. I do think the original is better though, so if for some reason I ever wanted to hear Aladdin songs I'd put that one on. Not sure what the big deal is here really. The old one still exists.

Oct 26, 2017
It's awful, as usual. They always do this, and it will always be awful. You have these amazing, epic songs full of personality and storytelling, with a really great singer and orchestral music, and then they mangle it through some shitty autotuned R&B hell with the flavour of the day pop face. They ruined Let It Go, they ruined How Far I'll Go, they ruined Reflections, they even ruined Can You Feel The Love Tonight* (even though Elton wrote the damn thing to begin with). The original A Whole New World with Lea Salonga and whatshisface also crushes the Peabo version. I think the only Disney song that was actually improved in the pop version was Beauty and the Beast, which was a bit awkward being sung by Mrs Potts in the movie.

* The super sweet vocals by Kristle Edwards and the duet portions are stupidly superior to Elton blaring out CAAAAAAAAEEEN YOU FEEEEEL THE LUUUUUUUUVE TONIIIIGHT. How the hell did he win an academy award for that one?

To hell with the terrible versions in the OP. This is where it is at

Oh my god, yes. It can't be said enough times that Lea Salonga is the greatest voice of this generation.

Last edited: