• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
More education and exposure?
Idk in my experience it seems like the wealthier mainland people either think they're protesting the wrong things or are just against the protests completely. Even people who I know are in support of the Uyghurs seem to have a similar opinion of the HK protests for some reason . I'm suprised when I hear even slight support of the protesters from them.

Even if she was told to post this, I wouldn't be suprised if she actually feels that way

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
CCP: Hey, by the way, Liu Yifei's publicist/agency, where does your little star fall on the patriotic spectrum? We're very curious. By the way, her family seems to be doing okay, for now.

Agency: I, uh...she'll release a statement today, don't worry.

I think the process is something like that. I don't think "she could just say nothing" is really how it works in a totalitarian system.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I am been proudly boycotting Disney since the merger. Where is your capitalist god now.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Has this started filming yet? Can disney fire her like they fired James Gunn?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, it makes sense.

Not only can she get herself into trouble but her family etc. as well if she doesn't fall in line.

Plum

May 31, 2018
CCP: Hey, by the way, Liu Yifei's publicist/agency, where does your little star fall on the patriotic spectrum? We're very curious. By the way, her family seems to be doing okay, for now.

Agency: I, uh...she'll release a statement today, don't worry.

I think the process is something like that. I don't think "she could just say nothing" is really how it works in a totalitarian system.

Do all prominent Chinese people make similar statements? Because if not then I don't see this whole 'she was forced to say this' argument as making much sense. It just comes across more as an excuse for a shitty statement than anything to me.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's certainly shitty, but she'd be throwing her life away if she took any other stance... perhaps literally. Plus I'm sure state-owned Chinese media and state-censored Chinese social media are not exactly reporting on the situation fairly.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean I understand why she probably has family there and they are most likely being threatened to say something like this.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If that "celebrity" supports authoritarianism?
Yes

It's not like this thread is called "Disney's Mulan Actress Liu Yifei: I like Green more than Blue" or something
This.

If we start making threads about innocuous bullshit then yeah that's a problem, but a celebrity being okay with authoritarian garbage? That's something that should be brought to light so the person can be named and shamed as a result.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
nothing will happen in response to this because Disney is gonna make more money from this in China than any other one of their live action remakes

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Do all prominent Chinese people make similar statements? Because if not then I don't see this whole 'she was forced to say this' argument as making much sense. It just comes across more as an excuse for a shitty statement than anything to me.

I don't think they force anyone to make a statement but they definitely destroy anyone that say anything against them. But be prepared when you're asked.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hell of an opinion, but yeah re-education camps probably suck. Definitely not as bad as Wonder Woman's hot take, where she could of actually had an impact and not been disappeared

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Can't get on the rage train for this. It's sad but there is no way to tell if this is her opinion or her agency's
Recently numerous Hong Kong and Taiwanese celebs have made similar statments. Difficult to say if they just love china dollars or if their agency make these comments.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't think they force anyone to make a statement but they definitely destroy anyone that say anything against them. But be prepared when you're asked.

Well yeah, but the question is whether she had to say something regarding the situation. The Chinese propaganda machine is big but I can't imagine it's so big that it bothers to force random Chinese-born celebrities like Liu Yifei to make posts like that (especially since the post itself is a retweet instead of a more formal propaganda-like statement).

Recently numerous Hong Kong and Taiwanese celebs have made similar statments.

She isn't from Hong Kong or Taiwan, though. In fact she's an American citizen so I don't see why China would take the risk of trying to covertly coerce her or her agent like that.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was she going supposed to have any other opinion? It's either agree and shill for the government or disappear as a celebrity.

We don't know if it is her honest opinion, if she is doing it to protect herself, or if she is just a brainwashed stooge. It's impossible to know.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
I speak as a Hong Konger: Oh piss off.

China has been forceful and trying to force businesses and entertainers to make statements like these. And of course they are complying, especially those that don't live in HK.

Oh well. I never cared about the Mulan film anyway. It was always made to pander to the mainland.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Many celebrities and prominent folks make these comments, yes. It's not about making an excuse, it's about recognizing the social/political system at work. China insists on stars making statements like these. She may actually believe it. I don't know. But it would be blind to ignore that the Communist Party's hand is at work, much of the time, in statements/retweets/support, etc. If you aren't asked to do it or gently demanded to it, you might do it to get into the good graces of people in power or to guarantee the safety of your career, yourself, or your family's lives.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Well yeah, but the question is whether she had to say something regarding the situation. The Chinese propaganda machine is big but I can't imagine it's so big that it bothers to force random Chinese-born celebrities like Liu Yifei to make posts like that (especially since the post itself is a retweet instead of a more formal propaganda-like statement).

She isn't from Hong Kong or Taiwan, though.

For one thing, Liu Yifei may be a box-office poison queen, but she is not some random celeb, one of the biggest rising star 10 years ago.
She has been working in mainland china since she was 16, does it matters where is she from? A ban from government is a death sentence for her career.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer does seem to add a bit more of a patriotic tone from than what I remember.

Edit: someone else thinks that: https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ney-is-bowing-to-china-anti-democratic-agenda

They won't want to risk it after last time.

Disney was keen to promote Mulan to the Chinese, hoping to replicate their success with the 1994 film The Lion King, which was one of the country's highest-grossing Western films at that time. Disney also hoped it might smooth over relations with the Chinese government which had soured after the release of Kundun, a Disney-funded biography of the Dalai Lama that the Chinese government considered politically provocative.China had threatened to curtail business negotiations with Disney over that film and, as the government only accepted ten foreign films per year at that time to be shown in their country, Mulan's chances of being accepted were low. Finally, after a year's delay, the Chinese government did allow the film a limited Chinese release, but only after the Chinese New Year, so as to ensure that local films dominated the more lucrative holiday market. Box office income was low, due to both the unfavorable release date and rampant piracy. Chinese people also complained about Mulan's depiction as too foreign-looking and the story as too different from the myths.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
She isn't from Hong Kong or Taiwan, though. In fact she's an American citizen so I don't see why China would take the risk of trying to covertly coerce her or her agent like that.
Oh, then she probably is just propaganda machine for china. I'll give benefit of doubt for Taiwan/HK stars but even then I'm more then willing to say they fear for their careers and not for their families. But anyone who picks career over their country is a collaborator and deserves worse then career death.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I mean I understand why she probably has family there and they are most likely being threatened to say something like this.
I doubt it. Her adoptive father is one of the richest people in China. Even if the CCP told her to post that, I'd be surprised if she didn't agree with it anyway.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sure, but the point is that if you need access to the PRC market for your career, you gotta tow the line.

Yes, but that doesn't explain why she would be forced to make this post in the first place.

And it's not an excuse for someone like her. She has enough money that could easily move to America and live the high life for the rest of her days.

Many celebrities and prominent folks make these comments, yes. It's not about making an excuse, it's about recognizing the social/political system at work. China insists on stars making statements like these. She may actually believe it. I don't know. But it would be blind to ignore that the Communist Party's hand is at work, much of the time, in statements/retweets/support, etc. If you aren't asked to do it or gently demanded to it, you might do it to get into the good graces of people in power or to guarantee the safety of your career, yourself, or your family's lives.

Maybe, but I feel that when it comes to situations like this referring simply to "oh she would probably just be put into a camp!" or, even worse, "oh she's just doing it for her career" as the reason for posting such a statement is making an excuse. To me it really does seem like this is what she believes, and the fact that this isn't even a formal 'statement' makes it more clear; if China really wanted to spread their propaganda through her then why would they ask her to do so via a generalised retweet of a vague post? It just doesn't seem to be as clear cut as "she was forced to and doesn't actually believe it, to me.

For one thing, Liu Yifei may be a box-office poison queen, but she is not some random celeb, one of the biggest rising star 10 years ago.
She has been working in mainland china since she was 16, does it matters where is she from? A ban from government is a death sentence for her career.

They referred to Hong Kong and Taiwanese people, and I just corrected them.

Though it does matter that she's an American citizen because, unlike most Chinese mainlanders, she does have an 'out' that would prevent China from 'disappearing' her, and her family is rich and powerful enough to protect themselves as well.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Yes, but that doesn't explain why she would be forced to make this post in the first place.

And it's not an excuse for someone like her. She has enough money that could easily move to America and live the high life for the rest of her days.

Maybe, but I feel that when it comes to situations like this referring simply to "oh she would probably just be put into a camp!" or, even worse, "oh she's just doing it for her career" as the reason for posting such a statement is making an excuse. To me it really does seem like this is what she believes, and the fact that this isn't even a formal 'statement' makes it more clear; if China really wanted to spread their propaganda through her then why would they ask her to do so via a generalised retweet of a vague post? It just doesn't seem to be as clear cut as "she was forced to and doesn't actually believe it, to me.

They referred to Hong Kong and Taiwanese people, and I just corrected them.

Though it does matter that she's an American citizen because, unlike most Chinese mainlanders, she does have an 'out' that would prevent China from 'disappearing' her, and her family is rich and powerful enough to protect themselves as well.

Not to defense any of this.
But why I would I want an out if I start in one of biggest movie next from Disney market specific to chinese. And make little sense to risk it all for HK and she is not even from there, she lived and worked in china for than 10 years. The best thing she or anyone could do is silence.

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that we are at a point in China where there's speculation that an actress is shilling for police brutality due to government coercion... And it's actually believable

Plum

May 31, 2018
Not to defense any of this.
But why I would I want an out if I start in one of biggest movie next from Disney market specific to chinese. And make little sense to risk it all for HK and she is not even from there, she lived and worked in china for than 10 years. The best thing she or anyone could do is silence.

That's exactly what I've been saying...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This reeks of this

APDuTXfTmxKgULEUgUHl_4pENxM=.gif

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Well what's she suppose to say? It would be career suicide to support the Hong Kong Protestors."

You could say nothing and choose not to actively support police brutality. Big difference between choosing to stay out of it and outright positing support for one side.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
She's a US citizen.

She's not getting hauled off to a re-education camp or in any physical danger if she refuses the Chinese government's demands.

At best she's doing this to protect her career.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
She's American so she's probably trying to save face and keep herself in good standing with the motherland so they don't railroad her career.

As for everyone else...Mainland Chinese are fed whatever narrative the state controlled media choose. If they told them the protestors were Martians, they'd all believe they're Martians.
People who do see the truth are their version of Alex Jones conspiracy wackos

Plum

May 31, 2018
Mainland Chinese are fed whatever narrative the state controlled media choose. If they told them the protestors were Martians, they'd all believe they're Martians.
People who do see the truth are their version of Alex Jones conspiracy wackos

She's an American citizen who is starring in a massive American blockbuster. If she's still believing the Chinese media at this point then that's entirely on her.