• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciated that there was no villain in Moana.
It was nice for what it was, but we haven't had a decent villain who's existence wasn't a twist since... Wreck-It Ralph? Tangled? Considering how often Disney's villains are the best part of their movies, that's weak.

Give us a decent bad guy with a good song and a fun character, that's all I ask.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Now you're just moving the goalposts. You said that that was the style the used since The Little Mermaid and that was 100% wrong. You could've worded it differently.

I know it's Disney/Pixar but as recently as Luca they strayed hard from that traditional CG look as well.

I'm not moving goalposts, that is still the style that they used since The Little Mermaid. Just because there are exceptions to the rule with certain movies doesn't mean they stopped using that style.

And Disney/Pixar has its own creative culture so you can't really use that studio as the comparison for what Disney Animation should aspire to become.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It was nice for what it was, but we haven't had a decent villain who's existence wasn't a twist since... Wreck-It Ralph? Tangled? Considering how often Disney's villains are the best part of their movies, that's weak.

Give us a decent bad guy with a good song and a fun character, that's all I ask.
Raya had a good rival villain.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018

While not a singing/dancing villain, Ercole from Luca was very much a straight-up prick, and that was last month.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While not a singing/dancing villain, Ercole from Luca was very much a straight-up prick, and that was last month.
He was very welcome, yeah, but a villain in a Pixar movie is a very different prospect to one in a WDAS movie.

Look, I'll absolutely cop to being incredibly specific here, and I don't wish to try and split hairs, but what I'm looking for is a charismatic villain, preferably with a song, who commands your attention from the jump and is a prime mover in the plot, in the style of the great Disney villains of old. They largely gave up on that post-Tangled (to be more specific, they gave up on that when they rewrote Frozen so Elsa wasn't the villain any more), and I'd love to see that archetype come back.

It used to be that you could reliably depend on a Disney villain being the best part of their movie, and I'd love to see that be true again.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Like others in this thread, I want to see more variation in artstyle. Take inspiration from spiderverse's fresh approach.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. She was fine, but she was in no way a decent substitute for a classic Disney villain- I'd class her as an antagonist, not a villain.

At the risk of poking the hornet's nest, she was the film's Zuko, and no one considers Zuko the villain.
It would have ruined the themes of the movie if there had been a classic villain.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
He was very welcome, yeah, but a villain in a Pixar movie is a very different prospect to one in a WDAS movie.

Look, I'll absolutely cop to being incredibly specific here, and I don't wish to try and split hairs, but what I'm looking for is a charismatic villain, preferably with a song, who commands your attention from the jump and is a prime mover in the plot, in the style of the great Disney villains of old. They largely gave up on that post-Tangled (to be more specific, they gave up on that when they rewrote Frozen so Elsa wasn't the villain any more), and I'd love to see that archetype come back.

It used to be that you could reliably depend on a Disney villain being the best part of their movie, and I'd love to see that be true again.

I'd at least like to see traditional villains come back on occasion. Like, most of the plots we've had in WDAS films recently don't really need them, but I still miss them. Not every film needs an animal sidekick and not every film needs a villain but I'd like them to at least be in the equation whenever a story is getting broken. It's kind of bizarre because King Candy was fantastic and was the last truly traditional villain (didn't have a song and was a bit of a twist but the twist was that he was more evil than we realized, not that he was evil in general. He even had a Jafar/Maleficent style final form!). It's not like they dropped traditional villains because they had one that bombed. They ended it on a high note.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Also people might not be aware, but Moana is insanely popular lately with the family crowd. It is Disney+ top viewed (non new-release) movie by miles week in week out these days, according to Nielsen. Like streamed more than Frozen 1 and 2 combined every week. Moana is a fucking monster on streaming. Eyeballing Nielsen's ratings over the past few months, it seems to currently be the top non-new-release movie streaming period.
Should also highlight Moana is a monster for streaming because it's songs are fucking bangers with kids and the dub, at least in Spanish, is fantastic. My daughter can't get enough and all while the characters look more like my family color wise.

Fantastic film.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like another entirely competent animated movie from Disney.