• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018

The annual pass program will eventually be replaced with new membership offerings, he said. Potrock offered no timeline on the latter, citing the unpredictability of the current environment, in which a surge in coronavirus cases grips Southern California.

Last edited:

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw something a day or so ago saying World may get rid of APs as well. I hope I can get grandfather'd in with mine.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
The cynic in me thinks they expect a strong bounceback when the vaccine really starts to make an impact and want to cancel out all passports so they can maximize their earning potential.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just for Disneyland?

I bought an annual pass a few years back because it was cheaper than buying two sets of tickets when I had two trips to Disneyworld in the space of one year. It worked out pretty good in that instance.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I know some people who have built their entire identity around going to Disney and they are not going to be okay.

I've met people who would go just about every chance they can, multiple times a month. There are Disneyland Clubs with members sporting the same jacket and buttons, patches. They would do meet ups, get some food, go on some rides, or even just walk around the park.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Custom made Mickey ears. Custom t shirts for different park-themed events. Disney themed wedding. Every ounce of savings goes into Disney experiences. The only social media updates they post take place from inside the park. They have a blog about "Disney Tips from an Annual Passholder Pro" and stuff. Everything in her life is about going to Disney.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Yeah this will be a big upset for that small group of youtubers who make their living filming around disneyland in 2 or 3 videos a week. Everyone else will find a way to get by.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
all my tshirts gone to waste

MWQPY49.jpg

upon-time-girl-really-loved-baby-yoda-chick-fil-ladies-tee.jpg

chick-fil-a-disney-these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things-t-shirt.jpg

Kinda felt this was going to happen and while I was able to take advantage of it the last time I was there (January 2020), I would never have gotten my AP were I not able to pay monthly as well applying my tickets towards the pass.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I used to be an AP member for years and it was worth it for the amount of times I went, but I'm interested to see what this decision will lead to.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disneyland in particular has had a bad problem of just too many guests and not enough space.

Disney World is slowly getting to a saturation point too. Not counting COVID times, there hasn't been an "off" season time for locals to go to Disney World since Avatar land opened. I honestly expect Disney World to follow suit not eventually - probably by 2030, but not immediately.

I can even see a future where the only local "Annual Pass" for Disney World is for Epcot.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I held one and it was nice to "just go" after a hard day at work, ride a couple of rides, sit and watch the crowds (and sometimes have a drink) and go home.

That being said, as a former DLR Cast Member I know a lot of people who are going to be happy with this. A good portion of the snootiest guests were APP holders.

A part of me is thinking that this is management trying to maximize the amount of money they will be receiving when they'll reopen, since the crowd size will be limited. And they always had an issue with dealing with crowd sizes due in large part to the APP.

Nov 18, 2020
Disney World is much larger than Disneyland, so it makes sense that they'd keep the annual pass system in Florida where there's enough capacity to hold all the Disney zealots.

Disneyland on the other hand can't handle seven figures worth of people who would want to crowd the parks all at once, IN ADDITION to the regular guests, AND maintain some semblance of social distancing / reduced capacity. Something has to give.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I were AP members until the lockdown. Loved going once or twice a month just to eat, maybe ride a ride or so and buy some merch. We'll see what they replace it with, hopefully at a reasonable pricepoint because they kept raising AP prices for the past few years on the reg.

I will say there are some that take major advantage of it, usually feel they own the place and buy all the merch to resell online. Complete assholes TBH.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Disney World is renewing but only if you had annual pass before, and canceled existing Annual passes after March 15 due to Pandemic.

There's a catch though! You have to pay CASH ahead of time though.

Source- I called yesterday cause am gearing to go back to Disney.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like big price hike incoming. I guess they have to find the money somewhere to fund the streaming content.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
They've been wanting to get rid of the Disneyland AP program for years now. The COVID crisis is just giving them a good opportunity to do so. They've been steadily adding restrictions for years.

I'm not sure what this will mean for Florida but they don't have nearly the AP problem that they do in CA so maybe it will still exist? Doubt it though because it would cause a lot of "not fair!" responses when the truth is the two markets are very different.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
They've been wanting to get rid of the Disneyland AP program for years now. The COVID crisis is just giving them a good opportunity to do so. They've been steadily adding restrictions for years.

I'm not sure what this will mean for Florida but they don't have nearly the AP problem that they do in CA so maybe it will still exist? Doubt it though because it would cause a lot of "not fair!" responses when the truth is the two markets are very different.

Magical Express going away has already played pretty poorly with the zealots I know I can't imagine what would happen if they got rid of Annual Passes.

I would bet that DVC owners, at least, would be pretty irritated and I'm not sure they want to upset that particular market, especially with them just opening a new resort.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks for people who took advantage of it but is undoubtedly good for the park itself and its experience which has been struggling under the weight of soaring AP numbers for over a decade now.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
seems like a slap in the face to their biggest fans. especially when they'll need people to return from covid...

all the disneyland groupies i know have annual passes and go often to support the parks restaurants/shops. disneyland was and still is a local theme park. its not the flordia resort even though disney has tried to make it into a multi-day resort.

the parks overcrowding from years past results from too many annual passes sold and local deals to get so cal residents in the door often. killing that seems short sided even if it requires limits in the future, though the writing has been on the wall for sometime. they see disneyland moving from a local experience to a premium experience, priced for higher incomes who can afford it.

it won't hurt the resellers. most of the smaller resellers just shop downtown disney. the cost for a one time park hopper pass for the big resellers or people who load up on in park exclusives isn't a high cost. disney knows they'll pay the entrance price and can still profit off of them.

this does hit bloggers/youtubers though who have built small followings from covering the park, including fans who cover the parks on social media (few of which make much money doing this, its more of a labor of love for the community). as for saying they don't benefit the park, they do market the park in the off season while covering everything thats new month to month. the foodie disney blogs got double screwed, it was already expensive to cover... i can't imagine with no annual pass it being feasible.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't like rollercoasters or water rides, is going to Disney on Florida even worth it?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Covid finally gave them an excuse to kill it. This will be so so so unpopular but will probably, hopefully, result in a better experience for non-local visitors and will solve so many problems for Disney. I just hope that some of the benefits trickle down to the rest of us and don't just benefit the company's bottom line

Oct 27, 2017
Magical Express going away has already played pretty poorly with the zealots I know I can't imagine what would happen if they got rid of Annual Passes.
Them removing magical express pisses me off so much, I'm not even an annual pass holder. I go every few years and the magical express made flying to Disney world nearly stress free. You get to Orlando, you follow the express signs, get on the bus, your luggage arrives at your hotel, when you have to go home they give you a bus time, your luggage is picked up and arrives at your home airport. All for free. I hate traveling and finding transportation and all that BS.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
If I don't like rollercoasters or water rides, is going to Disney on Florida even worth it?

Disney World was worth it for me and I generally hate rollercoasters. I don't think my wife and I went on any rollercoasters there either.

We were on our honeymoon so it was mostly enjoying food, walking around, some rides and I wouldn't change it at all, had a ton of fun. And I am definitely not a giant Disney person either.

It's expensive though, so make sure there's enough for you to do that looks interesting.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Them removing magical express pisses me off so much, I'm not even an annual pass holder. I go every few years and the magical express made flying to Disney world nearly stress free. You get to Orlando, you follow the express signs, get on the bus, your luggage arrives at your hotel, when you have to go home they give you a bus time, your luggage is picked up and arrives at your home airport. All for free. I hate traveling and finding transportation and all that BS.

Aren't they replacing it in a year or two with a train or something?

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's a strange choice, especially as they're going to need people to come in droves once it's safe. Disneyland runs on their APs way more than WDW and other parks. They make their money on APs tenfold in parking, merch, and food.

Interested to see what the alternatives are. I let mine expire right before Covid hit.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely worth going to if you've never been. While Disney does have some roller coasters and water rides, they're more well known for their slower moving, show-like, "Dark rides", top notch (traditionally) theming, and live entertainment.