• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
My 5yo is extremely happy as she loves Princess and the Frog. She just asked me when the coronavirus is going away so we can go. Props to Disney for being open to change.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much longer until Splash Mountain shuts down? I would at least like to try it a couple more times.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
How much longer until Splash Mountain shuts down? I would at least like to try it a couple more times.

They say when the parks reopen it will still be Splash Mountain but who knows about the construction. The same blog post mentions Avengers Academy is still on target due to what work was already done, but the Tron ride in MK is kind of on hold.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nooooo! I mean I understand why it needs to be rethemed, but Splash Mountain was always one of my favorite rides as a kid and I have a lot of great memories of it. I'd really want to be able to ride it one last time with the current theme before it's redone.

Stupid problematic racist cartoons :(

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan tbh.

It's right that Princess and the Frog gets a ride, but don't take away a classic to do it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I meant it. Why not? If they can add Jack Sparrow to Pirates, why not Jim Evers? Are they any rides with a movie that doesn't have the main character from the movies on the ride now?

I don't think Disney wants to remind anyone that they made a Haunted Mansion movie. Besides, they already have the Nightmare Before Christmas seasonal tie in.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
what do you mean by this? it sounds like you think they suddenly announced this in reaction to the recent social movement/protests. but if you believe them, they already had begun developing this well before that, since as early as last summer.
That's exactly what I thought. But what you say makes sense. There is a ton of prep that goes into this

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I don't think Disney wants to remind anyone that they made a Haunted Mansion movie. Besides, they already have the Nightmare Before Christmas seasonal tie in.
Wait, what? They tie in Nightmare Before Christmas to the Haunted Mansion ride? They don't do that at Magic Kingdom, or at least as far as I know.

Flaros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit bummed, but it's the right move. I'm very curious how the revamp will turn out, but as long as it does justice to Princess and the Frog, and the ride it's self it will be a great replacement. I'll admit Disney for me hasn't been on the ball with re-themes, I find the old test track much more memorable than the new one, and while I'm not gonna sit here and say Maelstrom was some A-class ride, it felt more in tune with Epcot's world showcase than Frozen Ever After. Though i will say Frozen Ever After's queue and Tech are very impressive and visually stunning, the ride it self feels off, but maybe that's being introduced to a new dark ride as an adult. I agree though Disney Parks are not museums and should be updated and changed.

I do hope the old Splash mountain will be remembered fondly. As someone who grew up with and loved the ride and characters, it's really hard to see it tied to a racist movie. Though honestly this just makes me hate the movie even more as it's ruining something I like.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Yeah they don't do it at WDW, I'm guessing because the mansion takes up a lot more space in WDW than DL.

I only just went to WDW two years back, being a CA kid most of my life, so it was interesting to see how much bigger a lot of the classic rides were comparatively. I can see that being the issue, the mansion is HUGE.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Gets a big "okay" from me. Splash Mountain was my favorite ride at disneyland, mostly for the design aesthetics (bear's huge ass in animatronic form), its feeling of going mad mid-ride, and the "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" theme. I don't think Princess and the Frog's design holds up at all comparatively. But I understand the move for progressive reasons, to distance Disney from Song of the South further.

I would be more receptive if I felt Disneyland protected its more classic properties, but there's also a corporate re-branding going on. Twilight being changed to Guardians is still really dumb, and it surely won't be the last. I don't expect Guardians 60 years on will be as ingrained in pop culture.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Man my GF is so torn. She has a metric shit ton of nostalgia for Splash Mountain. It's by far her favorite ride at WDW and she's a huge Disnerd. She's still in favor of a re-theme, though. As innocuous as the ride itself may be, you can't unlink it from Song of the South.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Gonna be honest I have no idea where the splash mountain characters even came from before lol it's kind of sad to see it go because I'll miss the memories and all that....but I totally understand why changing it is a good idea considering where its theme comes from.

So I'm at "I'm sad that this is happening, but I understand it's for the best."

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
so glad Princess and the Frog is finally getting its own ride. it's deserved one for a good long while (and the movie deserves more love from Disney in general)

Oct 27, 2017
Man my GF is so torn. She has a metric shit ton of nostalgia for Splash Mountain. It's by far her favorite ride at WDW and she's a huge Disnerd. She's still in favor of a re-theme, though. As innocuous as the ride itself may be, you can't unlink it from Song of the South.

The entire appeal of splash mountain to me was always the giant drop. The song of the south stuff was just what i had to sit through to get to the drop. It could have been Glengarry Glenn Ross themed for all I cared.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
The entire appeal of splash mountain to me was always the giant drop. The song of the south stuff was just what i had to sit through to get to the drop. It could have been Glengarry Glenn Ross themed for all I cared.

Yep it is a queue and then a substantially long ride to get to the awesome drop. If they really crank the theming, animatronics, and/or technical aspects of things up during the slower story/ride part, they could make the ride that much better (And I already love this ride and am sure to do it multiple times per trip at both DL and WDW)

Oct 25, 2017
After watching Dreamsounds video on this topic, I recently listened to You Must Remember This's season on Song of the South. Both are very informative for those who think you can divorce the characters, the song or the theme ride from the racist movie.

I remember watching this movie as a kid since the VHS version was released internationally in Spanish.

Yes I recommend You Must Remember This season, but only at a faster speed. I honestly was going crazy at the way she reads the script at normal speed.

The racism is inherent in the movie, so much so that Splash Mountain was never anything less than trying to salvage and profit off of past mistakes. It's far from a blight on the park, but I don't think you can really argue against its removal.

It's OK to have conflicted feelings though.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Today I learned Splash Mountain is called Splash Mountain because it was supposed to be marketing for the Tom Hanks mermaid movie

81iJBhzyIdL._SX300_.jpg

Honestly I love this weird history. Going to be a little bummed out when every ride is "what's the history of this?" "OH. That's a Marvel property!"

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm sure it's too late to do now. I watched it for the first time since it came out back in October and I enjoyed it more than when it first came out.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

heh. I keep seeing that too. "Louisiana Bayou?!?!? In Frontierland?!? What a travesty!!!"

Dumb argument to begin with. Splash Mountain has never really fit into Frontierland but was shoehorned to fit. The queue is themed as an old western town and they painted the rocks orange in an attempt to make it appear to be out West. Then you get on the ride and enter the mountain. It becomes a bayou full of frogs riding gators, a paddle wheeled Mississippi bayou river boat , crocs/gators playing banjos around the river, and ends with Brer Rabbit talking to a bluebird (which as far I know is a predominantly eastern and southern bird), and singing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah from Song of the South.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Honestly, even without the racist imagery, I think the update will be good overall as I think the Louisiana theme will fit extremely well and it will be good to have a major movie ride over an older cartoon ride.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Agreed, I am thrilled he is working on it.
Definitely.

As the creator of the ride hopefully he can retain some of what made the original so great.

Speaking of which, I'd love there to be some nods to the original ride somewhere. I very much doubt it'll happen, but Louis playing a bit of Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah near the end would be great.

I'm a bit bummed, but it's the right move. I'm very curious how the revamp will turn out, but as long as it does justice to Princess and the Frog, and the ride it's self it will be a great replacement. I'll admit Disney for me hasn't been on the ball with re-themes, I find the old test track much more memorable than the new one, and while I'm not gonna sit here and say Maelstrom was some A-class ride, it felt more in tune with Epcot's world showcase than Frozen Ever After. Though i will say Frozen Ever After's queue and Tech are very impressive and visually stunning, the ride it self feels off, but maybe that's being introduced to a new dark ride as an adult. I agree though Disney Parks are not museums and should be updated and changed.

I do hope the old Splash mountain will be remembered fondly. As someone who grew up with and loved the ride and characters, it's really hard to see it tied to a racist movie. Though honestly this just makes me hate the movie even more as it's ruining something I like.
Pretty much my thoughts on their re-themes, but with Tony involved with this I have some hope it'll turn out well.

Also are people expecting the name to stay the same? Hopefully they don't rename it to something else.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. This is my favorite ride at Disney World, so it'll be fun to be able to have a whole new experience with it.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely.

As the creator of the ride hopefully he can retain some of what made the original so great.

Speaking of which, I'd love there to be some nods to the original ride somewhere. I very much doubt it'll happen, but Louis playing a bit of Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah near the end would be great.

Pretty much my thoughts on their re-themes, but with Tony involved with this I have some hope it'll turn out well.

Also are people expecting the name to stay the same? Hopefully they don't rename it to something else.

I hope they keep the name, but I don't expect Disney to. I just hope we don't get "Splash Mountain: Under New Management"

Jun 10, 2020
Texas
When I first heard people were petitioning for this, my first reaction was to roll my eyes and I apologize for that. I think this is great and definitely needed.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hey now that was a completely different thing jfc

Gimme my mural and Norway post show movie back T_T
The Maelstrom will forever be in our hearts.

A fun little low capacity ride that should never have been re-themed to Frozen. The ride simply isn't equipped for a major IP.

I hope they keep the name, but I don't expect Disney to. I just hope we don't get "Splash Mountain: Under New Management"
The name itself is iconic, but unfortunately given their track record I don't expect it to stay the same name.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I saw this movie for the first time last year and it was so much better than I ever expected.

This is nice to see and it fits perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I kinda get the feeling they were waiting for the excuse to retheme. It had always been weird that one of their biggest rides was tied to a film they refused to reissue in any form because of its nature.