• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Words in brackets in the title are my own, just to add context.

Sandra Kuba, formerly a senior financial analyst in Disney's revenue-operations department who worked for the company for 18 years, alleges that employees working in the parks-and-resorts business segment systematically overstated revenue by billions of dollars by exploiting weaknesses in the company's accounting software.

A Disney spokesperson said the company had reviewed the whistleblower's claims and found that they were "utterly without merit."

Kuba's whistleblower filings, which have been reviewed by MarketWatch, outline several ways employees allegedly boosted revenue, including recording fictitious revenue for complimentary golf rounds or for free guest promotions. Another alleged action Kuba described in her SEC filing involved recording revenue for $500 gift cards at their face value even when guests paid a discounted rate of $395.

Way more to read at the link.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It seems really hard to believe that they could come up with $6 billion in extra revenue just with weird gift card tricks and bs complimentary stuff, that's a huge amount of money especially when their reported revenue was around $10 billion total

I don't doubt that this practice existed there but there's no way it was that prominent

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
It seems really hard to believe that they could come up with $6 billion in extra revenue just with weird gift card tricks and bs complimentary stuff, that's a huge amount of money especially when their reported revenue was around $10 billion total

I don't doubt that this practice existed there but there's no way it was that prominent
There's been rumors of this for years. Their movie business in China is also rumored to be purchasing tickets through a shell company, that the Chinese government allows, to inflate their Box Office. But it's nearly impossible to get proof.
Lots of sketchy shit happens at Disney.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, could be someone saw the GE news last week and wanted to jump on the bandwagon of trying to "out" the company

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious how this goes. She gives a lot of anecdotal bits but it's hard to see that amounting to the material amount she's given.

Also, accounting for GCs is more complicated than they're letting on, specifically if they're stored-value variants.

I'd wager there's some impropriety there, but if it's something of the 6 billion mark it's likely totally unaffiliated with anything Kuba is bringing up.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Generally speaking gift cards cannot be recognized as revenue when they are sold. They receive the cash and offset the entry to a gift card liability account. They can recognize revenue as the gift card is spent. Seems like a fishy claim...

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Most of it is probably just your typical shell game stuff.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Given the cost of admission, I doubt Disney had any reason to inflate their revenue đź’€
Disney parks raked in billions in sweetheart tax subsidies and breaks during the period of alleged revenue manipulation, deals that are only offered (and renewed) on the promise that they're offset by tax revenues and an increased standard of living for local residents. Given the renewed attention to working class wages and corporate welfare, it's pretty important to poinpoint just how much fudging was happening and whether or not it was a con on taxpayer dollars as disney paid itself money to keep the park numbers healthy-looking.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
As a CPA, I'm not even sure what to think of this. Inflating the parks division revenue by over 50% in a single year is totally bonkers to me. If it turns out to be true, holy shit.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
There's been rumors of this for years. Their movie business in China is also rumored to be purchasing tickets through a shell company, that the Chinese government allows, to inflate their Box Office. But it's nearly impossible to get proof.
I've been wondering about that for a while now... except I was thinking they were doing this to all movies in their BO.

Is there anything to support this?

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine most companies of size pull shit like this to look good to investors.

I mean, there are tons of areas where it's at management's discretion to make small changes to play with their revenue. What would be surprising is no major short investors noticing a change in accounting policy, etc., since their financials are watched like hawks with programs literally made to search for word by word changes in legal jargon.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Distributors and an exhibitors in China have been caught buying unsold tickets to inflate box-office returns, this is not speculation. I don't think it was a Disney specific thing, but since you know, every fucking movie is Disney there is little doubt they benefited from that shit.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I've been wondering about that for a while now... except I was thinking they were doing this to all movies in their BO.

Is there anything to support this?

The only time I've ever heard anyone claiming this is butthurt fanboys trying to find excuses why Captain Marvel and Last Jedi made so much money other than people actually liking the films. It's nearly impossible to get proof because there really isn't any.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Someone's about to get a visit from Homelander

giphy.gif

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Distributors and an exhibitors in China have been caught buying unsold tickets to inflate box-office returns, this is not speculation. I don't think it was a Disney specific thing, but since you know, every fucking movie is Disney there is little doubt they benefited from that shit.

I don't see where Disney would benefit from this in the slightest. Disney spending its own money to boost box office in a country doesn't make any sense to me. Now in a country as nationalistic as China, them bumping up their own country's movies at the expense of others would come as absolutely no surprise to me. Unless you actually think "Wolf Warrior 2" made 10 times what it's prequel did. I specificially remember Warcraft, a movie co-produced by a Chinese company, being called out for having tickets purchased for other movies actually going to its gross. Disney couldn't even get Endgame re-released there.

Without any evidence, this just sounds like sour grapes born out of, surprise, people who can't stand movies that don't do what they specifically want them to do. Now on topic, it's similar for the whistleblower. If they're not showing any evidence, then why are we paying attention to them, other than it being a anti-Disney thread, which always attracts a crowd?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see where Disney would benefit from this in the slightest. Disney spending its own money to boost box office in a country doesn't make any sense to me. Now in a country as nationalistic as China, them bumping up their own country's movies at the expense of others would come as absolutely no surprise to me. Unless you actually think "Wolf Warrior 2" made 10 times what it's prequel did. I specificially remember Warcraft, a movie co-produced by a Chinese company, being called out for having tickets purchased for other movies actually going to its gross. Disney couldn't even get Endgame re-released there.

Without any evidence, this just sounds like sour grapes born out of, surprise, people who can't stand movies that don't do what they specifically want them to do. Now on topic, it's similar for the whistleblower. If they're not showing any evidence, then why are we paying attention to them, other than it being a anti-Disney thread, which always attracts a crowd?
I meant their numbers got inflated. Edit: I should clarify since I get that you got a hair trigger on this - I think there is reason to believe that a some box office numbers from China were inflated, I have no idea how widespread it was/is, but since it was done on the distributor/cinema level, I see no reason to believe it skipped Disney movies.

Didn't mean imply they directed that or anything, in fact, I meant to say that as far as I know this was a Chinese thing and not related to them.

p.s.
Not anything in my post warrant the tone you're taking here.

Last edited:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Found this portion a bit interesting too,

In October 2017, Kuba filed a whistleblower-retaliation complaint with the Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Disney's response to the department's whistleblower office investigator's inquiry said that Kuba's employment was terminated because "she displayed a pattern of workplace complaints against co-workers without a reasonable basis for doing so, in a manner that was inappropriate, disruptive and in bad faith."

I wonder what kind of documentation/investigation Disney did to determine that her workplace complaints were inappropriate/disruptive, and how it might come to light in discrediting her as a witness if this came to trial.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
As someone mentioned about the parks, Disney, like all corporations, benefit from tax tricks and loopholes.
Disney having/owning most of the top 10 box office gives them that dominance perception that only companies like Microsoft have seen. Regardless of your opinion of their films, this is super sketchy. Good luck getting actual proof from a country that is currently fighting with their own citizens over democracy and have people like Jackie Chan constantly saying how great China is.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone mentioned about the parks, Disney, like all corporations, benefit from tax tricks and loopholes.
Disney having/owning most of the top 10 box office gives them that dominance perception that only companies like Microsoft have seen. Regardless of your opinion of their films, this is super sketchy. Good luck getting actual proof from a country that is currently fighting with their own citizens over democracy and have people like Jackie Chan constantly saying how great China is.
So like, there could have been other shenanigans I don't know about, but the thing I was talking won't really end up in Disney cooking books, at least as far as I understand it.
This was all weird schemes based on skewed incentives, and it was between distributors and cinema operators. They're saying a lot of it is fixed now, but who the fuck knows. People were predicting that shit by looking at box office numbers way before those people got caught, so maybe some of the people who scare me from posting in box office threads can weigh in.

This is not the greatest article, I can look for better ones if people care -

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
So like, there could have been other shenanigans I don't know about, but the thing I was talking won't really end up in Disney cooking books, at least as far as I understand it.
This was all weird schemes based on skewed incentives, and it was between distributors and cinema operators. They're saying a lot of it is fixed now, but who the fuck knows. People were predicting that shit by looking at box office numbers way before those people got caught, so maybe some of the people who scare me from posting in box office threads can weigh in.

This is not the greatest article, I can look for better ones if people care -
If you just think about it logically, when any corporation can cook their books and get away with it, they then have money that isnt actually there and can buy things with that non existent money. So instead of having 10 billion to buy your competition, when a corporation friendly government is in place, you have $14 billion to buy even more of your competition, with no checks or balances going on for the purchase. Obviously I'm just making up numbers here, but corporations do this all the time and having a foreign government willing to help for a small fee, sure makes it easier.