• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
honestly, i'm kinda stunned by the low post count in this thread. it's shameful disney behaves like this while disingenuously being "inclusive" for the sake of selling tickets and merchandise in certain markets.

if this were any other company, i feel like the justified anger would be louder and more visible .
I think people aren't shocked seeing their cow-towing for gay rep be barely visible in movies and the cartoons.

can someone let me know that if this is a case of "we donated to every politician, so everybody owns us something" or they specifially donated to these politicians?

in any case, they not saying they are against the bill, speaks volumes about chapek attitude.
That's every corp.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lake_Buena_Vista.png

A Mayor and three council members for a "city" with 10 residents, huh? 🤨
yeah i think it might have been a requirement under the state constitution but their basically disney employees

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is it too soon to hope Fiege has an interest in running the whole show?

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I would imagine Disney would have similar corporate principles as those of american defense or pharmaceutical corporations so no surprise here.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm super interested in what could have gone on behind the scenes when Iger was choosing his successor and somehow Chapek got the nod instead of who everyone thought was a shoo-in (Kevin Mayer). Whatever his politics is, he couldn't have been any worse than Bob C.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, i'm kinda stunned by the low post count in this thread. it's shameful disney behaves like this while disingenuously being "inclusive" for the sake of selling tickets and merchandise in certain markets.

if this were any other company, i feel like the justified anger would be louder and more visible .

To be honest, I feel like while I'm pissed at Chapek for this, I feel like most of my anger right now is going towards the republicans making the bill and passing it. Here I just feel like I'm not surprised and disappointed they're still funding.

I'm also not sure what else to add that's already been said. Which is how I was with Activision (which fuck them too). And that has higher thread numbers.

And I know there's no way Warners, Universal (especially when they have a theme park), Paramount, and the rest aren't quietly doing the same thing. This is a systemic issue.

I don't know what to say at this point. I just right now want to continue public pressure against these bills and try and vote these assholes out. That's where I feel like I can be more effective. If we want to give Disney the JK Rowling/Activision treatment, I'm fine with that. But I didn't see that when it came to Netflix and their business choices. So I think if everyone would prefer, the better way would be for me to raise awareness if you really want more public pressure is to put a reminder in any OTs (like I did in the death on the nile one with the many problematic actors) about what Disney supports and for people to not forget over the long term, if people are ok with that.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I feel like while I'm pissed at Chapek for this, I feel like most of my anger right now is going towards the republicans making the bill and passing it. Here I just feel like I'm not surprised and disappointed they're still funding.

I'm also not sure what else to add that's already been said. Which is how I was with Activision (which fuck them too). And that has higher thread numbers.

And I know there's no way Warners, Universal (especially when they have a theme park), Paramount, and the rest aren't quietly doing the same thing. This is a systemic issue.

I don't know what to say at this point. I just right now want to continue public pressure against these bills and try and vote these assholes out. That's where I feel like I can be more effective. If we want to give Disney the JK Rowling/Activision treatment, I'm fine with that. But I didn't see that when it came to Netflix and their business choices. So I think if everyone would prefer, the better way would be for me to raise awareness if you really want more public pressure is to put a reminder in any OTs (like I did in the death on the nile one with the many problematic actors) about what Disney supports and for people to not forget over the long term, if people are ok with that.

Eh I mean yea we're all kinda screwed because we live in a society that refuses to change from its past of just constant trauma and abuse caused by capitalism. So we do what we can when we can.

You don't have to abandon Disney but maybe just like curb your consumption?

Or you can still like Disney. I dunno just don't make it a slippery slope about well if we do this one corp and this corp well we gotta do all corps.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I mean yea we're all kinda screwed because we live in a society that refuses to change from its past of just constant trauma and abuse caused by capitalism. So we do what we can when we can.

Or you can still like Disney. I dunno just don't make it a slippery slope about well if we do this one corp and this corp well we gotta do all corps.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Fair enough. I shouldn't have slippery sloped this.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you know Universal also paid people behind the bill. This is a theme for people having attractions in FL.

Oct 26, 2017
Man a shit ton of employees on my timeline are pissed the fuck off at this. Fucking executives always screw over their workforce.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I don't think consumption as activism has ever been useful. It'd be better if people put time and energy into resources and movements that protect LGBT people instead of thinking not buying Disney things would help.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read they were losing ton of talent, from making that move from California to Florida. no one wants to go that shit state.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think consumption as activism has ever been useful. It'd be better if people put time and energy into resources and movements that protect LGBT people instead of thinking not buying Disney things would help.

It would happen. Thing is Disney is a good manipulator. "People know about the bill? Where we paid MONEY to people who support it?" ... "Well let's just get another disenfranchised person in our empty ass movie." And then people forget. Disney ain't that bad they'll say.

Good thing is if Disney fails some company will buy em up. Would it be a better company?

Because that's what Disney does and they don't get better.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It would happen. Thing is Disney is a good manipulator. "People know about the bill? Where we paid MONEY to people who support it?" ... "Well let's just get another disenfranchised person in our empty ass movie." And then people forget. Disney ain't that bad they'll say.

Good thing is if Disney fails some company will buy em up. Would it be a better company?

Because that's what Disney does and they don't get better.
99.9% of Americans who consume Disney products don't even know this bill exists, that numbers gets even more inflated when you consider all the Disney consumers that exist outside of America. Every person on this forum could not ever give Disney a cent again and they wouldn't even notice.

This is what I mean when I say people's energy would be better devoted to supporting pro-LGBT movements than trying to bleed a massive multibillion dollar company dry.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of Americans who consume Disney products don't even know this bill exists, that numbers gets even more inflated when you consider all the Disney consumers that exist outside of America. Every person on this forum could not ever give Disney a cent again and they wouldn't even notice.

This is what I mean when I say people's energy would be better devoted to supporting pro-LGBT movements than trying to bleed a massive multibillion dollar company dry.

Erm. It's not hard to do both. It's easier once you realize Disney only ever makes hollow ass films anymore. There are only 2 films I have any interest in from them this year and they are both from the one studio they bought they haven't completely ruined yet. And even while they are enjoyable they are really formulaic. So once you realize that it ain't so hard to avoid their junk. There is better art out there with very similar themes!

But while you're not wasting your hard earned money on Disney movies or more important wasting your time on one... Be out there supporting LGBT movements and events.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That would be the case only because it might be surprising. Everyone already knows Disney pays a ton to the GOP as the largest employer in a red state

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not. Disney is near untouchable on here. Some people will bitch and by Wednesday this thread will sink off the front page.

Amd yep if this was any other company people don't stan for this thread would be 20+ pages by now

I wish people would be honest that in certain cases they can happily give a pass to things as long as it's something they love.

This is why all the online posturing is tiresome how many people on here will honestly cancel their Disney+ membership or stop buying Disney merchandise?

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not. Disney is near untouchable on here. Some people will bitch and by Wednesday this thread will sink off the front page.

Amd yep if this was any other company people don't stan for this thread would be 20+ pages by now

I wish people would be honest that in certain cases they can happily give a pass to things as long as it's something they love.

This is why all the online posturing is tiresome how many people on here will honestly cancel their Disney+ membership or stop buying Disney merchandise?

Id say the only thing of Disney I pay for is plus and I don't even watch it (mostly for my family's benefit.) Probably time to turn if off till summer time after Turning Red.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
It's so strange to me to measure the extent of anger at a corporation by the number of posts in an Era thread. People are plenty, loudly upset about this, and I don't know if counting it really gets us anywhere, especially when big angry threads usually amount to 90% 'fuck [this particular corporation]' drivebys and no actual discussion happens. Putting it on fandoms who would otherwise look the other way is...I dunno...in its own way fruitlessly performative?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Erm. It's not hard to do both. It's easier once you realize Disney only ever makes hollow ass films anymore. There are only 2 films I have any interest in from them this year and they are both from the one studio they bought they haven't completely ruined yet. And even while they are enjoyable they are really formulaic. So once you realize that it ain't so hard to avoid their junk. There is better art out there with very similar themes!

But while you're not wasting your hard earned money on Disney movies or more important wasting your time on one... Be out there supporting LGBT movements and events.
If people want to avoid Disney that's fine as a personal choice of course, as long as we don't pretend it actually has an impact. And if you want to convince diehard fans to cancel their D+ subs, "their stuff sucks" is not exactly a compelling argument lol.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Fuck Chapek for this. Disney probably has the power to single handedly kill this bill but instead they insist on continuing to sponser the shitty Florida politicians who have committed themselves to making this world an unsafe place for anyone who isn't straight. Fuck all the way off.

And if you're wondering how the living Disney relatives feel about this, they're pissed.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people want to avoid Disney that's fine as a personal choice of course, as long as we don't pretend it actually has an impact. And if you want to convince diehard fans to cancel their D+ subs, "their stuff sucks" is not exactly a compelling argument lol.

I didn't say it sucked. I am saying it is lesser then a lot of art.

I like Taco Bell time to time too.

I mean you can keep pumping money into the company in which we know the bottom line does not care about LGBT.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Sure fuck Disney, but they've always been like this, from Walt on up. Hard to have a discussion when it's something both obvious and obviously wrong.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bisexual, you don't have to lecture me on this reality. I'm aware rich people don't care about us.

Look, same. I'm just saying people shouldn't be hardcore Disney fans especially when issues like this rise up.

Use them like they use you... as a transaction. Stop being fans of a company that is empty.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Look, same. I'm just saying people shouldn't be hardcore Disney fans especially when issues like this rise up.

Use them like they use you... as a transaction. Stop being fans of a company that is empty.
That's fair. I apologize if I came off aggro, I'm obviously upset by this and I just think we need to reframe the conversation a bit is all.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. I apologize if I came off aggro, I'm obviously upset by this and I just think we need to reframe the conversation a bit is all.

Ayy I get it if you're into Disney. Their films are entertaining at the least. I can also be a bit harsh when it comes to things like this since it's basically a film company. We all need to take our mind off things time to time.

Last edited:

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly bizarre that Chapek was picked to be CEO and continues to hold the post. Giant L

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ayy I get it if you're into Disney. Their films are entertaining at the least. I can also be a bit harsh when it comes to things like this since it's basically a film company. We all need to take our mind off things time to time.
I'm not really into "Disney," per se, I mean I like a lot of things they own but that's by the nature of them being a multimedia conglomerate. It's more my thesis is just that I think it's a dead end to bang drums about individual responsibility to not pay for D+ subscriptions.

Also only semi-related but given that this is ultimately over land in Florida, it's a similar story to how Disneyland has screwed over Anaheim time and time again. It's never enough for these corporations, by design capitalism facilities infinite growth.

Honestly, the best way to stop this would probably be Disney employees going on strike.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Unsurprising unfortunately.

Chapek is an absolute arsehole.

Seriously. There was really no one else anywhere in the company?

It's a matter of how much damage he's going to do before he's gone.
He has done a lot of irreparable damage in my opinion, especially to the theme parks.

Unfortunately I don't see anyway the parks won't be an overpriced, money pinching, IP heavy, overcrowded mess in the future.

It has been slowly happening over the years, but all of those issues have gotten much worse under him.

Chapek hired a GOP operative to "reasses" Disney's political contributions
OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

In his memo, Chapek positions Disney as maintaining public neutrality on the bill. But money talks. And, in the last two years, Disney has donated $197,162 to members of the Florida legislature that have already voted for the "Don't Say Gay" legislation. This figure will increase after the full Florida Senate votes on the bill.

That includes $4,126 to the chief sponsor of the bill in the Florida House, Representative Joe Harding (R), and $1,000 to the chief sponsor of the bill in the Florida Senate, Senator Dennis Baxley (R).

Chapek acknowledges these donations in his memo and says that "Geoff Morrell, our new Chief Corporate Affairs Officer" will be "reassessing" Disney's "political giving." Morrell, however, is a Republican operative who previously worked for the George W. Bush administration and BP. In the last five years, Morrell has donated exclusively to Republican candidates, including Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA), former Senator David Perdue (R-GA), Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), and Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI).

Chapek promoted another Republican operative, Arthur Bochner, to serve as his Chief of Staff. Bochner held positions in the Bush administration and the Republican National Committee.

Chapek finally slams "Don't Say Gay" bill
OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Finally Slams “Don’t Say Gay” Bill, Says Tried To Work “Behind The Scenes”; Will Donate $5M, Meet With Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis – Update

Walt Disney CEO Bob Chapek finally came out swinging against Florida’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

Walt Disney CEO Bob Chapek finally came out swinging against Florida's so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill, telling shareholders at the annual meeting today that the company had always opposed it but opted to work behind the scenes to try to influence lawmakers.

That appeared to be unsuccessful. "I understand our political approach, no matter how well intentioned, didn't quite get the job done," the chief executive said. He said Disney is signing a petition against such bills across the country and donating $5 million for work to protect the LGBTQ+ community.

Chapek also said Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has agreed to meet with him and some of the company's LGBTQ+ employees in Florida. "I look forward to visiting with the governor with a small delegation of cast members who are involved in this movement." He noted that the company will be reassessing its "political giving in Florida and beyond."

(Definitely screams "too little too late" but I'm noting it here.)

Mar 11, 2020
deadline.com

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Finally Slams “Don’t Say Gay” Bill, Says Tried To Work “Behind The Scenes”; Will Donate $5M, Meet With Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis – Update

Walt Disney CEO Bob Chapek finally came out swinging against Florida’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

(Definitely screams "too little too late" but I'm noting it here.)
I agree it's def saving face a bit, but $5 million to actual LGBT causes and actually fully coming out against is better late than never and i'll take it. Sometimes even pushing a company to do something like this is still progress and the $5 mil does help immensely