• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I hope this will backfire on Disney spectacularly. My impression is that a lot of the representation they do have is from creators pushing hard for it, creators they currently employ, who are likely pissed.

Chapek can't be binned fast enough.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It always pisses me off how this company always skirts away controversy. And this same company bends over backwards to avoid getting snagged in PR nightmares like this so as their image isn't smeared in shitpaint.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this will backfire on Disney spectacularly. My impression is that a lot of the representation they do have is from creators pushing hard for it, creators they currently employ, who are likely pissed.

From what I gleaned off interviews like from Owl House creator Dana Terrace. Disney CREATIVE is super supportive but it sounds like financial Disney is the bitch.

Dec 30, 2020
We want to inspire you enough that you give us your money, but we like the way that boot looks against your face so... we cool?

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Maybe Iger would have spoken out and done more about this but the heartbeat bill in GA was something that had a lot more of the public eye on it and a lot more outrage going. It would have been a lot easier for a CEO/corporation to "take a stand" over legislation that had was HUGELY unpopular already versus something like this that is unfortunately not talked about as much. The only place I've really heard any mention of the "Don't Say Gay" bill is here. If more people knew about this and were protesting it, it might've forced Chapek's hand but it's a lot easier to get away with at the moment than it could be considering how many different attacks are coming from politicians in damn-near every state.

Thats all depressingly true. The fact is though that one of these two people have been more outspoken about inequality, and the other has all but literally said "keep politics out of this". Can't really go by anything other than that.

I'm sure everyone who read this thread and said "fuck disney" has canceled their Disney + service and will never see a Marvel movie again…..

Did that as soon as we heard about this.
Did you have something else to add to the topic, or were you gonna just drop that deuce and then peace out like a fart in the wind?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Diversity" is just a PR bulletpoint for these companies. Its fashionable to be diverse these days. None of them ever really give a shit where it matters.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine they supported these people to make more money off Disney World, right? If so, no amount of backlash is gonna make Disney risk their $$$
it's 100 percent this. remember disney is only incorporated because of the florida state legislature. they can revoke this at anytime

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Disney Boss Bob Chapek Says Company Won't Slam Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' Bill Directly, But Still Committed To Inclusion

More of the same cowardly, empty, do-nothing platitudes as found in the original statement.

Oh, and in what shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody...

Oh the investor day on Wednesday is gonna be fun...

His contract is short too. So unless shareholders want to keep him (word is they are pissed), his era is gonna be brief unless he pulls some awful power move shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Heard some stories about Bob Chapek too. Apparently he's concerned that Disney is seen as too liberal.

Bob Iger should not be put on a pedestal, but...actually yeah he might handle this differently.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Why Disney Won’t Say Much About Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” Bill

Insiders say CEO Bob Chapek is less willing than predecessor Bob Iger to take public political stands — including on LGBTQ issues and voting rights. The new Disney chief’s rep replies that he “does not bring any partisan agenda to work.”
Didn't Iger personally choose Chapek as his replacement? What does that say about him in that case

Last edited:

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like he 100% faked for Iger just because I feel like Iger is smarter than to let Chapek be in charge like this if he knew, especially since he was going to be around a little bit longer after stepping down.

But god just get rid of the man

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine they do questions like the last shareholder meeting except this time it's just straight heat on Chapek
Shareholders:
southpark-jonas-brothers.gif

collige

Oct 31, 2017
it's 100 percent this. remember disney is only incorporated because of the florida state legislature. they can revoke this at anytime
Not surprising. You mean incorporation in terms of zoning for their parks, right?

Not to say that people can't cancel just because they feel it's the morally correct thing to do. I get it. But scolding others for not doing something that's basically just a gesture for your own peace of mind is really silly.
I tend to think of it as "personal" vs "collective" boycotts where the former is more about being able to sleep at night and trying to be selective about where your money goes without the expectation that it'll materially change the status quo.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

I think there's another aspect of this that we're all kind of missing on;
*Disney doesn't have a theme park in Georgia*

I know its almost diving into tinfoil hat territory but there's not a doubt in my mind that not changing course after the backlash so far isn't slightly tied to the free reign Disney has with Disney World.

EDIT: Now that i think about it, it WAS pretty interesting that they had a few measures on their annual stockholder voting thing that said something along the lines of disclosing donations to political entities. The board obviously had recommended an "against" for it.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Disney's performative wokeness has always felt like a checkmark on a spreadsheet to me; just another value to plug into the algorithm to maximize profits. Sometimes it shakes out well (see the post above about the Georgia bathroom laws), but then shit like this makes them look like they play both sides.

Disney has enough fans to push back, so we'll see what happens.

Also, I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this topic.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at that statement. Pay us for our LGBTQ+ shit and we'll give your money to bigots.

And of course a money man is "apolitical", aka a conservative twat.

I'm done with this fucking company. I should have been completely done with them after the Mulan shit. I'm ashamed to say I didn't take a firm stance then, but I am now. I have no trouble going through with boycotts once I actually decide it. Getting friends together to watch shit in the cinema is always a lot of work anyway and imma save a bunch of money not watching their movies in Imax.

And fuck MvC. Let that shit stay dead at this point.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I honestly cannot believe there's someone on par with latter years Eisner running the show at Disney again. Fucking wild Iger ushered this stooge in.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Disney Boss Bob Chapek Says Company Won't Slam Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' Bill Directly, But Still Committed To Inclusion

More of the same cowardly, empty, do-nothing platitudes as found in the original statement.

Oh, and in what shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody...

Everything I hear about this prick makes it sound like he should never have been considered for the position at all. He's been an utterly poor fit; no clue why Iger went with him. People need to keep putting on the pressure.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Didn't Iger personally choose Chapek as his replacement? What does that say about him in that case

My understanding was that Iger really wanted to retire and they basically completely failed at finding a better replacement. I think Chapek got it solely based on his prior departments making lots of money.

Iger was no saint but by comparison it's really stark.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
can someone let me know that if this is a case of "we donated to every politician, so everybody owns us something" or they specifially donated to these politicians?

in any case, they not saying they are against the bill, speaks volumes about chapek attitude.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. You mean incorporation in terms of zoning for their parks, right?

I tend to think of it as "personal" vs "collective" boycotts where the former is more about being able to sleep at night and trying to be selective about where your money goes without the expectation that it'll materially change the status quo.
buena vista lakes and ready creek improvement district are basicially private governments they're legal governments but disney controls their government completely with only the state constitution, state/federal legislature able to check them

collige

Oct 31, 2017
buena vista lakes and ready creek improvement district are basicially private governments they're legal governments but disney controls their government completely with only the state constitution, state/federal legislature able to check them

Government
• MayorRenee Raper
• Council MemberTom Nedorost
• Council MemberCharles Reed
• Council MemberMike Sheehan
The permanent residential population of Lake Buena Vista was 10 at the 2010 census.

Lake_Buena_Vista.png

A Mayor and three council members for a "city" with 10 residents, huh? 🤨

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Just watch, their investor stream in acouple days is going to go on about "how inclusive Disney's awesome content is" with no sense of irony or self-awareness.
He's still involved?!?!
He still has financial stake in the company, he just has no creative input.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
honestly, i'm kinda stunned by the low post count in this thread. it's shameful disney behaves like this while disingenuously being "inclusive" for the sake of selling tickets and merchandise in certain markets.

if this were any other company, i feel like the justified anger would be louder and more visible .

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Just watch, their investor stream in acouple days is going to go on about "how inclusive Disney's awesome content is" with no sense of irony or self-awareness.

He still has financial stake in the company, he just has no creative input.
Oh thank God. Inhumans was his baby if I recall?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
the theme park guy who needs the land developers in his pocket is more conservative than the last guy? huh