• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm curious to see how Disney decides which PG-13 content makes sense for Disney+, and which PG-13 content belongs on Hulu.

For example, will Fox's "Planet of the Apes" films go to Disney+ or Hulu?
Do PG-13 Fox films like "Juno", "Isle of Dogs", "Cast Away", "Independence Day" and "Titanic" go to Disney+ or Hulu or both?
If "The Simpsons and "Malcom in the Middle" are age-appropriate for Disney+, what about King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, and Futurama?

So yeah, I'm curious to see how they'll split the Fox content between the two services.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's Kodi using the Aeon Nox skin/UI set as the default launcher on the Shield TV. You can link all the Android apps into the UI within Kodi. So rather than launching and exiting Kodi to access my ripped movie library, I've integrated everything into one single customizable UI. I've put a placeholder for Disney+ for now which just launches Disney Now currently if you try to access it.

Nice! How difficult is that to do?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
How about original New content? They're not dethroning the King until they have that down.

They have to get the big stuff on there first to get everyone buying into the platform.

Remember, Netflix had to first establish itself as the place where all your favorite movies and tv shows can be found. Then they started making original content.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm guessing that goes to Hulu along with other adult fair (xfiles, 24, archer, sons of anarchy, Homeland)
I wonder how this will work in Canada as we don't have Hulu. Do they bring Hulu to Canada ? Expand it on Disney+ or partner with Crave (owned by massive Canadian Telco). Crave has all of the HBO stuff, hell even all the star trek including discovery and Picard

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how Disney decides which PG-13 content makes sense for Disney+, and which PG-13 content belongs on Hulu.

Do PG-13 Fox films like "Juno", "Isle of Dogs", "Cast Away", "Independence Day" and "Titanic" go to Disney+ or Hulu or both?
If "The Simpsons and "Malcom in the Middle" are age-appropriate for Disney+, what about King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, and Futurama?

So yeah, I'm curious to see how they'll split the Fox content between the two services.

I've been wondering about this, too. I'm also wondering, since Disney+ apparently has kid-specific accounts, if the service will offer any kind of internal age-filtering and if they do, how that will work given the role Hulu is supposed to be playing in their streaming family.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Give me all of the original Muppet show
All the Muppet tv movie specials
"Walt Disney Presents : Disneyland" (all shows in black and white and color)
All the Sunday night Disney movies from the 80's and 90's

Jan 31, 2018
If they're splitting things between plus and hulu, I'm out, at least as a regular subscriber. There's no hulu in Canada.

That and the fact they're going for weekly releases instead of the netflix method of putting everything out at once. Not a fan of that anymore.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! How difficult is that to do?
It's not difficult at all, especially since lately the Shield TV lets you easily set a default launcher. Well that was until the new 8.0 software launch where it got disabled but they've already acknowledged that they're fixing that. You'll also need to install something called Launcher for XBMC since by default there isn't a launcher intent in Kodi. Some people create versions of Kodi with that built in so you don't need a separate app but the Launcher for XBMC makes it so you don't have to find those custom built ones and can use the official version.

Once you've set it to be the default launcher, this means when you press home it'll take you to Kodi by default instead of the normal Shield TV interface, then you'll need to select which skin you want to use. You can browse the skins in the add-ons section or even in the skin setting will pull up a list. It's easy to download multiple skins and swap them out so you can play around with them until you find something that you like.

After you've picked your skin, you'll go into the skin settings which will let you customize further like defining what's in the home screen, what action each entry does, what the background image is, the text that is displayed and so forth. That's pretty much the gist of it. Different skins will have different levels of customizing with some being more flexible than others. Easy to do but depending on how much you want to change it could take some time to figure out how you like it. I've got it down to a science where I can start from scratch and have my preferred setup done in about 15 min. Adding that entry for Disney+ took me like 30 seconds to add. It took me longer to create the background image than it did to actually add it into the interface.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That UI is so similar to Netflix I can't believe it's allowed

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be complicated, we get our Disney stuff on Netflix. Hell, we got star wars movies streaming on Netflix in Canada less than a year after release

They Disney stuff was on Netflix in the US too including various Star Wars movies. Those contracts are ending which is why they're going to be on Disney+ now. It's not going to be as complicated as many people think. They're clearly launching this in the US and Canada based on the timing of those expiring deals.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix needs to upgrade the standard 2 screen plan to UHD. And upgrade the basic 1 screen plan to HD. Good to see Disney bringing some competition. HBO max and NBCUniversal will put pressure on Netflix as well to offer more for less.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the assumption right now that 4k will be an option for any movie/TV show that is available in 4k? Or are they going to be selective about which 4k products they supply?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is the assumption right now that 4k will be an option for any movie/TV show that is available in 4k? Or are they going to be selective about which 4k products they supply?
Fool we all know you want to see Johnny Tsunami in 4K, just be honest and ask.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
They have to get the big stuff on there first to get everyone buying into the platform.

Remember, Netflix had to first establish itself as the place where all your favorite movies and tv shows can be found. Then they started making original content.
Yeah but when Netflix started off it was new. People never heard of Netflix's before. Everyone in the world knows Disney. They better start doing original content asap or maybe theyre doing that for Hulu? And keeping Disney+ as a place for where people can watch old Disney stuff and super hero content after theatrical release. If so, it's not worth it imo.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but when Netflix started off it was new. People never heard of Netflix's before. Everyone in the world knows Disney. They better start doing original content asap or maybe theyre doing that for Hulu? And keeping Disney+ as a place for where people can watch old Disney stuff and super hero content after theatrical release. If so, it's not worth it imo.
They have already announced original content with some hitting day one.

Oct 27, 2017
They have already announced original content with some hitting day one.
Outside of the Marvel and Star Wars content, they have offered nothing intriguing.

Over the next decade or so, they'll build up a nice catalog of original programming but Netflix is already well established and going strong in this regard. Exactly why the competition is good but Disney+ is not a threat to end or destroy Netflix in any way like some are suggesting on Era.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
No, obviously the MCU and Star Wars are big draws, but there are other things coming that are not Marvel or Star Wars. Now obviously it being disney+ And mostly family fare, it might not appeal to some demographics
Yeah that's what I figured. There will never be something like The boys or Mindhunter. So, Disney+ will not dominate. I think Netflix and Prime will be okay.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah that's what I figured. There will never be something like The boys or Mindhunter. So, Disney+ will not dominate. I think Netflix and Prime will be okay.

Yup. Now you will likely see that fare on Hulu, and can figure out why Disney decided to split it out a bit.

I expect X-files, archer, homeland and Sons of Anarchy to be on Hulu. Searchlight as well

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They have Hulu for that stuff.

Outside of the Marvel and Star Wars content, they have offered nothing intriguing.

Over the next decade or so, they'll build up a nice catalog of original programming but Netflix is already well established and going strong in this regard. Exactly why the competition is good but Disney+ is not a threat to end or destroy Netflix in any way like some are suggesting on Era.
The important thing will be how much people are subbing to Netflix for original content vs subbing for shows like Friends and The Office in addition to how their stuff stands up quality wise in the long term. Just having exclusive rights to all of the Disney movies is big on it's own and then you have companies like Warner putting something together.

It will be interesting to see how Netflix fares with the competition undercutting them price-wise and taking back their content given how much they are spending.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Doesn't SyFy own Futurama now?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They have Hulu for that stuff.

The important thing will be how much people are subbing to Netflix for original content vs subbing for shows like Friends and The Office in addition to how their stuff stands up quality wise in the long term.

It will be interesting to see how Netflix fares with the competition undercutting them price-wise and taking back their content given how much they are spending.

I definitely feel like we will dropping in and out of Netflix for the few shows that I watch (stranger things, ozark), but my wife watches it daily for things like parks and rec and the office.

I don't think we would be subbing 12 months of the year. I wonder if they would ever do a yearly sub.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
releasing only one episode per week for the new shows is...a choice that is not pro consumer - no surprises there - but that can work to milk those subs for longer, guess we'll see. hopeful netflix and amazon stay as they are now

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I can see the big "crowd pleasers" like Titanic and Independence Day winding up on both.