• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
App has been downloaded more than 3.2 million times
Disney+ surpassed 10 million subscribers in its first day, the company announced today.

Disney's announcement comes after Apptopia announced that the Disney+ has been downloaded more than 3.2 million times. That's despite tech problems that affected the country throughout the day.

Disney also confirmed that "there are no plans to release Disney+ subscriber data outside of The Walt Disney Company's quarterly earnings calls." The next time we'll hear about subscriber numbers will be in 2020.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy with the service so far, but my subscription is riding pretty hard on nostalgia at the moment - and my keeping it will be contingent on new content moving forward.

Oct 26, 2017
They've been practically giving it away. What I'll be curious to see is how many subscribers they have after a year. I know 4 people, including myself, with Disney +. We all have it from our phone carrier giving us a year of it for free.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
The amount of bugs and performance issues really shows. I hope they can address all of that soon. I'd love to have a continue watching tab again

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Real question is how many will they have after 3 or 6 months.

SW and Marvel fans always were getting it day 1.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sigh welp there is Disney holding the entertainment industry once again with it's grasp.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
They've been practically giving it away. What I'll be curious to see is how many subscribers they have after a year. I know 4 people, including myself, with Disney +. We all have it from our phone carrier giving us a year of it for free.
Studies shows that the vast majority stay with the service. It's been proven to be a crazy effective strategy. You see Microsoft doing the same thing with Game Pass.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Studies shows that the vast majority stay with the service. It's been proven to be a crazy effective strategy. You see Microsoft doing the same thing with Game Pass.
it's not really effective. subs eventually get knocked down. look at wow. people stopped played and unsubbed but a lot remained just because. there's only so much someone will sub too before it either becomes costly or something better is out there.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying there's even more people than 10 million using the service. My account is shared with my 'family' of four.
Oh so you're saying the actual number of users is higher. Yeah, most likely. But there's also a ton of "free" accounts out there through Verizon, so can't really account for it either way.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Damn.. 10 million subs...but only 3.2 million downloads. That must be a ton of crashing.

This is what I was going to ask. They have that many subscribers, including people that have downloaded the app multiple times (like me I downloaded it 5 times yesterday), and only like 1/3 of the app downloads? Did lots of people subscribe or get counted and not access it day one (if so then kudos to their marketing team getting that many to sign up sight unseen) or is that from one app source, or are there just 2/3 of people using the website only?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
it's not really effective. subs eventually get knocked down. look at wow. people stopped played and unsubbed but a lot remained just because. there's only so much someone will sub too before it either becomes costly or something better is out there.
I don't mean to sound rude but comparing a 15-year old game that has been releasing lacking expansions for years now is not comparable to D+ and Game Pass. Also, the subscription service climate has changed tremendously since WoW was in its prime.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
On era specifically, or more in general?

Either way it's kinda hard not to pity people that out of touch with reality
it's only 80 million dollars. the entirity of mandalorian was more expensive. you need X subscribers to justify more content unless disney wants to inject some cash to boost content in hopes of more viewers. doesn't netflix have like over hundred million? or something like that? they can produce a lot of media and partner up because of that. if disney hovers around the 10-20 mark then you might actually see less new content produced solely for the platform

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh so you're saying the actual number of users is higher. Yeah, most likely. But there's also a ton of "free" accounts out there through Verizon, so can't really account for it either way.

Also the 'free' accounts for buying IOS devices, though that's still revenue because of device profit margin.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
HonoredFrighteningKoala-max-1mb.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Will cancel after the week. Good service for kids, but not for me.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I definitely added it to my phone, Xbox One X, Pro and Roku yesterday. I also never watched so much streaming in one day before. I watched like 10 different things I was all over the place

Mostly old shit aimed at kids but I don't care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.