• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Of course, nothing will ever top OUAT's version
tumblr_n095k9OCVm1qgf468o2_r3_250.gifv

Trying to push a rock on them and then getting struck by lightning and falling off a cliff was pretty metal too
I have always liked this actress, she was so **** extra.

On topic, If they're dead set on making this movie, just make sure the Dwarves aren't caricatures and we're good to go

The time line of these events is a little fuzzy but from reading it sounds like Disney was planning on replacing the dwarves with talking animals prior to Dinkalges comments, as a way to sort of curb any sort of controversy, and in light of Dinklage's comments, they are now re-thinking that and possibly will go back to having dwarf characters, just ones that are treated with more care and respect.
This too! go for it

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Not being snarky: how do the people in support of this feel about LoTR changing dwarves and hobbits up?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The time line of these events is a little fuzzy but from reading it sounds like Disney was planning on replacing the dwarves with talking animals prior to Dinkalges comments, as a way to sort of curb any sort of controversy, and in light of Dinklage's comments, they are now re-thinking that and possibly will go back to having dwarf characters, just ones that are treated with more care and respect.
This makes a LOT more sense than how I originally read it.

If this is the case then it would be so on brand for Disney to throw up their hands and replace them with talking animals to avoid controversy. Because erasure is easier than actually engaging the criticism and making a non-stereotypical portrayal.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I'm surprised so much of the criticism is focusing on the "working in caves" thing and not the "their names are one-word adjectives based on one-dimensional behavioral quirks" thing.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Was Disney planning on hiring actors with dwarfism? Hobbits and dwarves in LOTR were just done w movie magic.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Somehow they will make the witch good and the Dwarves evil....(going by what they did with Maleficent and Cruella lol).

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Dinklage's criticism wasn't just that they were little people, but how they are to be portrayed as simple folk living in caves.
Not only were they living like that, but they're actively dumb. They live in squalor after mining precious gems worth thousands from the earth. There is a throwaway line as to how they don't know why they keep digging gems.

Feb 24, 2018
Only sort of in this case as the Dwarves of Norse mythology are very different to the ones described there. The Dwarves of Snow White are more based on the Germanic versions of them, specially the post Christianisation of Germany versions of them which really focused on the short stature and the mining aspects of them along with taking many aspects from other beings of folklore like Nissie (similar to what happened to Gnomes to a greater degree).

Then again the Norse version of Dwarves aren't exactly flattering in many cases, the Prose Edda describing them as maggots who gained consciousness after eating the flesh of Ymir and many works describe them as murderers creators.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
If they insist on making this movie I hope they don't get rid of them altogether. That's 7 roles for actors that rarely have opportunities for high profile movies like this.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
is the nomenclature back to Dwarfs? I thought it was dumped in favor of Little People because of the whole "Dwarf Toss" thing.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
is the nomenclature back to Dwarfs? I thought it was dumped in favor of Little People because of the whole "Dwarf Toss" thing.

I want to say Dinklage has long expressed a preference for dwarf, but as long as you don't use the m-word you're not really doing anything wrong. Just use the person's term of preference. LP, little person, dwarf (and plural dwarfs) all generally acceptable but some, like Peter Dinklage, really dislike little person, and the reverse is true for other individuals.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
They can just adapt Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples instead. Its dwarfs are a lot of things, but certainly not simple.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
aNcp316.jpg

they do live in a house

but yes, i always thought of them as fairy tale creatures, not humans with dwarfism. there's a lot of ways to address this without leaning into stereotypes or replacing them with cgi animals lol wtf

they're closer to gnomes in design than dwarves

Yeah, this is a case of not getting it. They are a race of short men. Each with their own personality. It's not meant to be offensive. Did Dinklage have a problem with Drawves or Hobbits in the LOTR movies?

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
the more i think about, there's like no redeeming values in the snow white story

-self obsessed "queen" calling herself pretty
-killing everyone who is fairer than her
-7 different punchlines of stereotypes
-girl that also randomly moves in with them in the middle of the woods
-guy that finds a corpse in the woods and decides to kiss it
-girl falls in love with said necrophile
-they go and kill the queen

like wtf does that even teach kids. i hated that movie as a kid anyways

watch Perils of Penelope pitstop instead, atleast it has dick dastardly who is funny

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
the more i think about, there's like no redeeming values in the snow white story

watch perils of Penelope pittstop instead, atleast it has dick dastardly who is funny
I'm not sure what the "7 different punchlines of stereotypes" is supposed to mean here. The stereotype of a guy who sneezes a lot, or a guy who is sleepy?

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I apologize for my blind spot on this, but can somebody give me a simple explanation for why it's bad? When I think Dwarves, I think about the fantasy version and not somebody like Dinklage.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

If this is the route, it shouldn't be too hard to pull off. All of the dwarves from the original have specific personalities, just flesh them out instead of making them one note and you're set.

watch Perils of Penelope pitstop instead, atleast it has dick dastardly who is funny

I think a lot of the popularity of the original film is its technological and cultural importance moreso than the story itself being great. Plus people like the characters in isolation.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The characters being dwarves is mostly irrelevant beyond tradition, they can be a group of 7 anything living out in the woods and the story will work

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe just don't make it? Snow White is an outdated ass story and we really don't need another rendition of it.

Nov 11, 2017
It's weird but I never considered the seven dwarves as humans with dwarfism.

But also, is mining a job or a hobby for them?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
The characters being dwarves is mostly irrelevant beyond tradition, they can be a group of 7 anything living out in the woods and the story will work
Or better yet and dare I suggest it - Disney could use this as an opportunity to hoist up the dwarf community, and give them some much needed respect and 'normalisation'.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Alt universe. Average humans and Snow White is a giant. She calls us all dwarves.