• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cause Sony gave Marvel 100% of merch revenue, which is a far, FAR bigger deal than anyone is giving credit for, and for all intents and purposes, Marvel essentially asked to keep that and get possibly half of the BO take. And then seemingly walked away when Sony said new and came at them with better offers.

Marvel was not getting away with pennies on the prior deal. Keep all merch revenue is a huge rev stream, and Sony didn't see a penny of it from Spider-Man. Nor did they see a cent of revenue from spider-man's inclusion in Civil War and Avengers. For a character whose film rights they own. But sure - Sony's the greedy one here.
According to this article:How the deal went down. Sony didn't just give away the mercy rights for free. It was part of a new re negotiation that happened in 2011, before he whole mcu deal. Two completely different deals.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
some of y'all are incredible
sony is the bad guy because , they don't want to lose 40% of extra money , as well as cutting them in on venom and their other franchises
man this is business
disney got greedy, yh it's nice to hhave spidey in the mcu but disney are doing the most
this is a business move that fell through , stop shilling for companies and being so embaressing

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just do the math here

Spider-man's MCU has featured 5 films. 3 of them, one of which is the highest grossing film of all time, Sony wasn't allowed to see a single cent of revenue from. Sony had to solely fund 2 of the film's, and got 95% of the initial take. They saw none of the merch revenue from all 5 of these films.

And then Marvel asked for EVEN MORE. And yet, Sony's the greedy one.

That offer isn't for free - they would obviously want compensation for it from the BO take, but considering the overwhelming majority of revenue generated in the current deal was already going to Marvel, and there is zero indication Disney offered a percentage on Merch or team up films, then why does Sony have to take upwards of $75m only to later cough up over $500m?
Shh no reasoning, only $ony hate now.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
According to this article:How the deal went down. Sony didn't just give away the mercy rights for free. It was part of a new re negotiation that happened in 2011, before he whole mcu deal. Two completely different deals.

You're not wrong, but this is still a situation where revenue that is being generated by the works being produced is disproportionately going to one party over another.

I absolutely do agree that without the MCU, Spider-Man wouldn't be in the cultural position he's currently in, although it can easily be argued Spider-Man has been the biggest face in heroes for forever.

But Sony is still solely producing and funding the standalone movies. The team up movies are making far, far more, and Sony doesn't see a dime from them.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Also, people keep throwing around the fact that Disney was willing to pay 50% of the production costs like it means anything. It doesn't. The most disappointing Spider-Man movie so far (ASM 2 both went over budget and disappointed at the box office) didn't come in at a loss. There's no risk involved for Sony in financing these movies, and they have more than enough money to be able to do so. Disney offering that money is all about getting more a say in the decision making (without it, Sony always had the final say on all decisions) and getting an ownership stake that they can leverage in terms of other decisions (like the moving forward of the other Sony Universe of Marvel Characters movies). Sony was more than likely willing to move in terms of giving Marvel more of a cut as producers (an aside: first dollar doesn't mean what you guys think it means), but the co-ownership is a sticking point that's gonna be pretty hard to reconcile if they decide to come back to the table.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
When RDJ made the first Iron Man film, he made only $500,000.

He renegotiated his contract for Iron Man 2 and made $10M. That is a 2,000% increase in pay.

Disney made 5% of day one gross from Spider-Man films which is apparently the same deal they had even prior to helping produce films for them as part of Disney buying back merchandising rights.

Spider-Man Homecoming made $50.7M it's first day, so Disney made $2.5M for their work on Homecoming, which isn't much. Even a 2000% increase would be $50M, or about 100% of how much Homecoming grossed it's first day, which is still less than 6% of the total worldwide gross of the film.

Maybe a 50/50 split is outrageous, but that original deal is a joke as well. Sony should be happy to renegotiate like Marvel was with RDJ, because if someone is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on your franchise, you want to pay them well.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I absolutely believe this is Disney trying to weaponise their rabid fanbase and strong-arm a ridiculous deal off Sony. I can't believe I'm going to bat for Sony of all people, but this is such a ridiculously aggressive move off Disney who already have close to a monopoly on movies.

And look, it's working because people are idiots and are easily manipulated

ECemf4aWsAAGFaB

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
It's not just the core Spider-Man movies, as i understand it Disney wanted to co-finance all Spider-Man related projects (such as Venom and Morbius), and if they were co-financing why should they not want a bigger box office share?

While most headlines are talking up the "Out of the MCU" angle, the vast majority of social media reactions to this are pretty much dunking on Sony.

to which sony is like no , understandably , any ceo thhat takes this deal should be fired
disney want a much bigger piece

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Disney convincing everyone that it's somehow Sony's fault and that Sony are the greedy ones is pretty impressive honestly
Yeah, and really sad. How on earth does it even sound fair? "Sony, we want you to keep making Spider-Man movies, and paying for everything. Also, we'd like half of whatever you make, despite us not chipping in."

It's fucked up. As if Disney doesn't make enough money. I mean they had what... 3 or 4 movies just this year make a billion dollars?

Oh well. Maybe somehow Disney can turn this around and feature an aged Peter Parker in the MCU. I really liked the older Peter in Spider-Verse.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Meh. Not a fan of Far from Home. Spidey was good while it lasted in MCU but Spiderverse is a much stronger film than any of the MCU Spiderman.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America

He renegotiated his contract for Iron Man 2 and made $10M. That is a 2,000% increase in pay.

Disney made 5% of day one gross from Spider-Man films which is apparently the same deal they had even prior to helping produce films for them as part of Disney buying back merchandising rights.

Spider-Man Homecoming made $50.7M it's first day, so Disney made $2.5M for their work on Homecoming, which isn't much. Even a 2000% increase would be $50M, or about 100% of how much Homecoming grossed it's first day, which is still less than 6% of the total worldwide gross of the film.

Maybe a 50/50 split is outrageous, but that original deal is a joke as well. Sony should be happy to renegotiate like Marvel was with RDJ, because if someone is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on your franchise, you want to pay them well.

The part you're leaving out in your math problem here is that there are 3 other movies that were made under the current deal that featured Spider-Man, and Marvel got to keep 100% of that revenue even though they got to use a character they technically don't have the film rights for.

Yeah, if the only money Marvel got was that $2.5m, then ur right, Sony is taking advantage of them. But when you account all the money Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame that Marvel made and Sony saw none of, and all of the merch revenue all 5 movies made that Sony also saw none of, then it's clear that deal is heavily skewed, only it wasn't in Sony's favor - it was in Marvel's. And then Disney asked for even more and here we are.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I think Sony's tweets say it all. Feige and Marvel Studios are too busy. People need to look at this new deal as incentive for Marvel Studios to push projects out of their own schedule.

This all seems like a big deal for the internet but for Disney it's just as easy for them to walk away from Spiderman as it is for them to work on projects that actually make money for them. It's going to happen eventually.
Yep. Disney owns Hollywood now. Attitude will change.

All Spider-man movies (good or bad) are consistently making $800M+, so giving Disney half would only make sense if the movie is making $1.6bn, which is absurd.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and really sad. How on earth does it even sound fair? "Sony, we want you to keep making Spider-Man movies, and paying for everything. Also, we'd like half of whatever you make, despite us not chipping in."

It's fucked up. As if Disney doesn't make enough money. I mean they had what... 3 or 4 movies just this year make a billion dollars?

Oh well. Maybe somehow Disney can turn this around and feature an aged Peter Parker in the MCU. I really liked the older Peter in Spider-Verse.
Old Peter Parker will be in the Venom movies if anywhere more likely.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

I honestly thought Disney getting the rights to Spider Man in the MCU was good enough, if Disney wanted the profits, they should have purchased Marvel back in the 90's when they had the chance, instead they were busy turning down the rights for Lord of the Rings & making flops like Treasure Planet, Sony shouldn't have to give up half their profits due to Disney's old mistakes.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

You should actually read what the deal entailed, Disney offered to foot 50% of the production cost bill, and it has NEVER been stated that they wanted 50% of the overall profits.

I dunno what's up with some people's reading comprehension.

Anyone actually picking a side in this, however, should take a long hard look at themselves and their role in capitalism. Both companies fucked this up, they're both to blame on equal parts. And it's also obvious that there is still a deal in the works, this was just the opening shot and both of them manipulating (or trying to) social media in order to gain more traction for their side. Capitalism 101.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Who knows, depends on a lot of shit like, if a deal is reached, if the Avengers game doesn't well, etc etc

But if you don't know the history of Marvel's pettiness you need to research first.

Well of course, if you're going to come in half-cocked and not actually have anything to add you'll get called out on being a Stan.

Ps. My dog will be fine just a general checkup thanks for asking /s

Oh ok, I'm sorry man.

Can you explain to me what a Stan is?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That's an absurd take
In situations like this most people will only care about how th ip will be handled rather than the companies. A lot of people have sided with Disney because they don't trust Sony with the property and then you have people who don't like MCU Spider-Man happy over it.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I think it's a pretty normal take
Saying "I don't care either way" is a normal take

Saying "I hope this directed hate makes another movie happen" is absurd, it's a fucking movie

In situations like this most people will only care about how th ip will be handled rather than the companies. A lot of people have sided with Disney because they don't trust Sony with the property and then you have people who don't like MCU Spider-Man happy over it.
Personally ye I don't really care what happens either way, I'll watch the next movie no matter who's involved. It's the stance that we should just encourage these ridiculous fan reactions to make these things happen that is ridiculous

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Saying "I don't care either way" is a normal take

Saying "I hope this directed hate makes another movie happen" is absurd, it's a fucking movie
And it's a corporation that the hate is being directed towards. One of these companies needs to feel the pressure to come back to the table and I don't feel any sympathy for Sony for feeling the heat. All I care about is that in ten years I can look at back how the character has grown in the MCU.

I doubt you'd find many people on the internet who "don't care either way".

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Pretty much all Marvel related movies produced solely by Sony (notable exception: Spider-Verse) sucked, I don't have any reason to side with them on this thing. I'm a Spider-Man (and, in extension, Marvel Comics) fan, not a fan of either company, but Sony Pictures has proven time and time again they can not be trusted with the property. So no, this whole "oooo Disney stans!" talk is just not cutting it. There's reason enough to not hope for a Sony-only outcome here.

Last edited:

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
All these Sony shills defending Sony smh.
So good

If the hate directed at Sony gets a deal to be made I am all for it
All these Marvel/Disney shills expecting Sony to **** themselves over so they can have Spiderman in the MCU are cringe inducing. Why should Sony give 50% of the profits from not only Spiderman, but and other Spiderverse project Disney want to be involved in? Yes the movies are an upgrade over ASM but Disney have gotten greedy. Sony, the same as Disney, are a business. What business would cut themselves off at the knees like this?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Literally all Marvel related movies produced solely by Fox sucked, I don't have any reason to side with them on this thing. I'm a Spider-Man (and, in extension, Marvel Comics) fan, not a fan of either company, but Fox has proven time and time again they can not be trusted with the property. So no, this whole "oooo Disney stans!" talk is just not cutting it. There's reason enough to not hope for a Fox-only outcome here.

Fox is not involved in this and his also a part of Disney.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Spider-Verse was an animated film and Spider-Man 2 came out 15 years ago. When Spider-Man debuted in the MCU in 2016 Sony hadn't put out a decent Spider-Man movie in 12 years.

Also, spiderverse was amazing because Sony gave the creators freedom to do it.
... Because it's a smaller, far cheaper, Animated side movie starring MM (a character they have never shown interest in bringing to the forefront in live action iirc. Hell, they're far more interested in SpiderGwen be it live action or animated and after Spiderverse they jumped on the chance to spin her off into an all female crew).

Live action SM is the biggest thing they got and they have shown that they are just not willing to or just can not stop dicking with it when unsupervised. It's what ruined SM3 and started a downward trend that was only fixed by HC.

Anyway, am I the only one who remembers the EDM in ASM? How terrible Peter was in those movies? The scene where Eletro gets his powers and they do a close up to show that his transformation fixes the gap in his teeth??? Those movies were straight bad and Sony sucks so bad at managing the budget that making 700Mill barely made them a profit which earned it the title of "Flop". Marvel has made them a far cheaper 1bill-highest-gross-they've-ever-seen movie because that's what they do.

If they want to take that chance again it's on them. I don't think it's a smart choice personally. I can't even wrap my mind around how this spidey would work in a non-MCU world ...
I can't speak about deals being turned down or w/e, IDK what Disney was offered as a "maybe it happened, maybe not?" counter to this so it's silly to say "SEE! Seems like Sony tried to negotiate but Disney held firm to this number!".

Also, for people who keep pointing at Venom ... that movie is hot garbo which makes it's sequel's success unpredictable imo. If you look back on that movie and think "man, that was trash" who knows if you'd come back and give it a 2nd chance later on. History has shown that people are willing to turn up for shitty sequels to shit movies (Transformers) and it's also shown that people will ignore sequels to trash movies that did well. Who knows.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, I just want to see a good movie. History has shown that that has a better chance of happening if Disney makes it.

I don't give a shit about either company's financials or margins. I'm not a shareholder. So I'd like to see this get resolved regardless of which company "wins". If Sony caves, fine. If Disney caves, fine. Just get it done.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
All these Marvel/Disney shills expecting Sony to **** themselves over so they can have Spiderman in the MCU are cringe inducing. Why should Sony give 50% of the profits from not only Spiderman, but and other Spiderverse project Disney want to be involved in? Yes the movies are an upgrade over ASM but Disney have gotten greedy. Sony, the same as Disney, are a business. What business would cut themselves off at the knees like this?
Besides the fact that I don't care about who gets the money, for the tenth time, this notion that Disney would get 50% of the profits is totally fabricated. The report mentions 50/50 co-financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.