• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Disney gets 5% of the gross on day one only. They get 0 after that.

Given they do all the work I can understand why they'd want 50% while also contributing 50% to production.
Well Sony owns the movie rights. They allowed them (Disney) to use Tom Holland/Spider-Man in their MCU movies.
And Sony gave them 5% of their movies. Disney still has 100% of the merch. The 50/50 "offer" Disney put on the table is laughable.
Disney made Spider man cool again after Sony failed attempts. Also Sony has a track record for releasing shit movies. Sure it's there ip they can kill it off once again.
Sony made 3 incredible movies and Spider-Verse is the best Spider-Man movie. Spider-Verse launched 9 months ago.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Disney made Spider man cool again after Sony failed attempts. Also Sony has a track record for releasing shit movies.

This is your periodic reminder that Sony LITERALLY just released the most critically acclaimed movie in the spider-man franchise and won an oscar for it without the involvement of the MCU.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
The big change here is the dumb Chinese market. Rothman can make garbage movies, but unlike Star Wars who has failed to earn footing in China, Marvel (comics) properties have found buoyancy. Venom was basically floated by them, not the west. They seem more than happy to support drivel.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ofc, the creative direction lays with Feige (mainly), but people acting like these films were paid for and made at Marvel Studios with Sony just providing the name is mindbogglingly stupid.

It's much closer to reality that the MCU stuff played a much greater role in making these well received and highly successful movies than Sony having new management.

Outright we can see the difference night and day with the quality of Venom.

Oct 31, 2017
The only way it would make sense, is if Sony gets a contractual obligation that Spidey would appear in X number of MCU movies and gets a negotiated cut of those movies also.
Negotiate 3 more Spider-Man movies at a 50/50 cut.
And 3 more non-Spidey MCU movies that he would have a role in at an 80/20 cut.

I doubt they'd make that deal though.

Leaked emails showed that was what Marvel offered. Sony would get a cut of CW, IW and IW2 (when it was called that) in exchange for giving up the license. They would still get their cut of the solo movies too. Sony rejected the offer. That's why it's so clear to see what the end game for both parties are.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
you would lose that bet by a VERY wide margin. as Slayven has alluded to, both of us have had very detailed discussions, with people floating the same conspiracy theory you just did and smacked them down very publicly and with receipts. You are simply wrong here, and not by a small margin.

The only reason I won't do so again is that I'm bored of the discussion, it's ancient history, and it's a thread derail.

Take the loss, chief.
You're wrong. It is ancient history (thankfully) but it was in place. And everything I described happened in the books too, we had a constant string of extinction events and storylines (HOM, Terrigenocide, Rosenberg Uncanny), creators diverted to other titles (Oliver Copiel, Russell Dauterman and Gerry Duggan I know of first hand, also a Claremont/Davis pitch shot down so Alan would do something else), a higher cancellation cutoff (looking at public sales analysis will show this even), reduced publishing commitments (literally if you can count you know this) and so on. If you want to go into greater detail on any of this I'm all for it.

I'll also take that bet on reading X-Books. And I'll win.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the obvious solution is just letting both parties make Spidermen that have nothing to do with one another.

Maybe Marvel keeps Parker and Sony gets to make a Miles movie

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Also to be fair spiderman literally belongs to sony. It doesnt matter who love whom more, but spiderman belongs to sony. Lets say if you sell your lexus car to me, are you still gonna claim the lexus car i bought from yoy is still yours? Thats the closest analogy compared to that

Oct 28, 2017
California
giphy.gif

This week's news summed up in a gif

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
this seems like negotiation tactics.

BUT they do have an easy way to write Peter out of the MCU if it does come to that lol

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is your periodic reminder that Sony LITERALLY just released the most critically acclaimed movie in the spider-man franchise and won an oscar for it without the involvement of the MCU.

Live action and animation ain't the same thing and they largely let Spiderverse people do their thing, they ain't going to be hands off with live action.

You're gonna see a hardcore live action milking of the franchise, you're gonna get a disastrous tonnally dissonant Holland x Hardy film.

You can't with a straight face point to Spiderverse as evidence that live action universe will be fine. Venom disproves that immediately and you can only make profitable bad movies for so long before you tank

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse is definitely the best Spiderman movie ever, however, making a live action Spiderman film in the MCU is still in Sony's best interest.

At this point, why the fuck would the general audience want to watch a Spiderman movie that's separate from ALL the rest of the Marvel characters' movies?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

This is your periodic reminder that Sony managing that movie =/= Sony managing live action movies.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Also to be fair spiderman literally belongs to sony. It doesnt matter who love whom more, but spiderman belongs to sony. Lets say if you sell your lexus car to me, are you still gonna claim the lexus car i bought from yoy is still yours? Thats the closest analogy compared to that
They own the film license, not the character itself

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
This is so fucking upsetting. Spider-Man was legitimately good again. Now we're going to go back to having one good movie followed by one or two shitty sequels. The trend with Sony movies is to always fuck up the sequels.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Live action and animation ain't the same thing and they largely let Spiderverse people do their thing, they ain't going to be hands off with live action.

You're gonna see a hardcore live action milking of the franchise, you're gonna get a disastrous tonnally dissonant Holland x Hardy film.

You can't with a straight face point to Spiderverse as evidence that live action universe will be fine. Venom disproves that immediately and you can only make profitable bad movies for so long before you tank
agree with this 100%

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my eyes, Sony did much better stuff with the character than Disney in many areas. Spectacular Spider-man (cartoon), Raimi's SM1 and 2 (live action), Spider-verse (animated movie). I don't see why it's "impossible" they get the character right again.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it was only a matter of time before the Spiderverse groupies infected another thread with their hyperbole.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
In my eyes, Sony did much better stuff with the character than Disney in many areas. Spectacular Spider-man (cartoon), Raimi's SM1 and 2 (live action), Spider-verse (animated movie). I don't see why it's "impossible" they get the character right again.
but I think most of the world wants to see Spiderman mingle with the rest of the MCU.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people out there that believe Spider-Verse will translate to Sony suddenly knowing how to handle live-action Spider-Man films is hysterical.

The movie was legendary, but pump the fucking brakes.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Because the last good live action movie they've produced was 15 years ago???

Status
Not open for further replies.