• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
37 pages in and people are still taking about this "50% of the profits" stuff. It's 50/50 co-financing, we don't have the details on the rest yet. Some are charging really hard for one company or the other and it's quite strange.
They sure are. Amazing how many people are ignorant of what profit entitlements come with co-financing deals.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If this sticks this will fuck up everything they had planned for him. If Tom Holland about to get sucked into an alternate dimension? A different version of Earth? Probably

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Tony Stark suddenly feeling much healthier
There's a reason they made Zendaya Michelle and not Mary Jane. Peter dies and now she can take over in the MCU. Lol

tumblr_owyx5hOG6U1u1kyq6o8_r1_1280.gif

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
For Sony to justify giving away 1/2 their profit, assuming they on their own are quite capable of making Spider-Man movies that gross lets say $850-$900 million on their own ... it would mean the Marvel Spidey pics would need to be pulling $1.7-$1.8 billion each ... and sorry but MCU has nowhere near that kind of box office catchet outside of the Avengers all-star films.

The strength MCU has in just stand alone superhero films is kind of overblown, they are consistent but they can only reliable pull over $1.3 billion with Avengers.

It doesn't make any business sense for Sony, I know some people want to harp on them, but giving away half your profit for a $1.1 billion film when you probably could've made $900-$1 billion on your own and kept 100% of that is simply stupid business.

It'd be like Nintendo agreeing to give 1/2 their profits to Microsoft in some kind of product deal so that the Switch can sell maybe 110 million units instead of 100 million.

Figure out your maths again.

They can "only" consistently pull 1 billion lol

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After the third goddamn reboot of this character, time to dust off this old classic:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
37 pages in and people are still taking about this "50% of the profits" stuff. It's 50/50 co-financing, we don't have the details on the rest yet. Some are charging really hard for one company or the other and it's quite strange.
The Buzzfeed article says the following:
So Disney, according to Deadline's report, stipulated to Sony that it wanted to split future Spider-Man movies in a 50/50 cofinancing arrangement — which also meant a 50/50 split in the profits. Sony said no. Disney said fine, removed Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios as producers of Sony's future Spider-Man films, and kicked the character out of the MCU sandbox.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Feige no buy. Next Spider-Man movie will be trash taking a look Venom.

Now fast track an MCU X-Men movie so we can forget this ever happened.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing another user
I would just like to say on behalf of all MCU fans (I polled them all independently) we have decided to release and disavow ManaByte

thank you for understanding

mod edit: post reverted

Last edited by a moderator:

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Tom Rothman, the guy at the Helm of Sonys Motion Pictures Group was previously at Fox and is (partly?) responsible for fantastic four and trying to not get Deadpool made.
I keep my hopes in check

Different circumstances but fair enough. The deal I think will be made eventually though. Both parties have a lot to gain and will compromise.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Are you downplaying the Spiderverse' staff?
Lol. We're joking in an Era thread relax.

Saw the film 10 times in theaters, bought the art of book, know a few of the production designers and follow a lot of the animators on instagram. Nobodys downplaying anything it would just be a funny twist for this silly thread.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like it's still being negotiated. I'm hopeful it will get worked out.
Maybe they'll pull a Gunn, walk away for a few months, keep developing in secret, and then reveal they worked everything out so stock prices can shoot up for everyone!

Kayfabe but with corporations.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So question, what does this mean for the Spider-Man games? Sony just bought Insomniac and unless I'm mistaken, Disney was letting Sony use the license for games.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Tony Stark suddenly feeling much healthier

Iron Man 4.

After being revived by The Eternals, Tony finds himself in a world without Spider-Man, having been killed by an unruly mob due to JJ Jameson's broadcast revealing Peter's identity. Tony is distraught and driven to alcoholism. Meanwhile a new threat rises in the east...The Mandarin, having evaded Shang-Chi, is dead set on obtaining Stark technology for his nefarious plans of world domination...

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this was an accident waiting to happen. Sony has too little incentive to offer more than the original deal (the franchise is launched and has momentum, they've proven they can make good Spidey movies without Disney with Spiderverse), Disney has too little incentive to continue said deal. Bummer cause I liked Holland's Spidey as part of the MCU.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Disney's fault. They had a good thing going but of course the mouse always wants more.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
That's a damn shame. I really thought Holland did a great job. Hopefully they can work this out.

Also if Manabyte wants to post in the thread he can, we don't need to post for him if ya'll are trying not to give him attention...

Status
Not open for further replies.